[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I replay FFXIII and XIII-2 before Lightning Returns? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: lightning.jpg (39 KB, 638x356) Image search: [Google]
lightning.jpg
39 KB, 638x356
Should I replay FFXIII and XIII-2 before Lightning Returns? It's been a few years. How much are the plots related?
>>
>>319533990
horrible games
>>
>>319534175
good contribution
>>
>>319533990
Just don't bother playing them
>>
>>319533990
>How much are the plots related?
Almost not at all.

They threw out the concept of a logical narrative and just grabbed whatever half finished script they had lying around and just wrote LIGHTNING LIGHTNING LIGHTNING over it.
>>
>>319534260
I've already played 1 and 2 I have to play 3. I bought 3 at release and never played it.
>>
>>319534298
I have a pretty good recollection of XIII but XIII-2 is fuzzy, I think because XIII-2 is kinda stupid.

So am I okay if I don't remember the finer points of XIII-2 and just read a plot synopsis and maybe a few videos to refresh?
>>
>>319533990
Very related. All of Lightnings old friends and enemies are there.

But honestly it has the generic japanese rpg story. There is a big bad who destroys the world and you will all die if you go against him. And he is indestructible anyway.

But there is the power of love. Guess hat happens??
>>
>>319534407
Yes, you'll be fine with just that.
>>
>>319534407
If you onlyy remember the main ponts you ill do fine, you on't understand all the references but the game isn't that deep.

Also the game is very different from your average japanese rpg. It is more similar to dead rising. If you do it without a guide you will spend plenty of time running out of time and restarting everything.

So you have plenty of time refreshing your memory if you want.
>>
>>319534490
That's good because I don't want my entire December to be consumed by replaying FF13

>>319534662
I want to get the most out of it but I don't have enough time this month. Having a hard time deciding.
>>
>>319533990
>>319534407
They are all directly related, and form one big, linear story.

The people claiming otherwise are just morons with concentration issues.

It's up to you if you feel like you need a refresher before LR.
>>
>>319534472
He destroys the world because of the power of his angst and super powers?
>>
>>319534780
The game will give you a datalogs to read on past events and characters anyway.

It will hardly if ever will bring up finer shit that you could have missed.
>>
Lightning Returns is literally Atheism: The Game
>>
>>319534934
Fuck. Maybe I'll just play the Ico/SotC collection until I get Bloodborne on the 25th and replay the whole trilogy in January/Feb

>>319535030
Getting conflicting advice here
>>
>>319535098
It doesn't believe in deities: the video game?
>>
They're not perfect but they're still the best JRPG's of last gen
>>
>>319534934
This is the biggest bullshit lie I have ever read.

The general narrative across all three games is a mess. The crowbar in story elements between games they expect the gamer just to accept. The narrative does jumps of logic to make lightning from a soldier to warrior or God to a literal Jesus figure. It its utterly ridiculous.
>>
>>319535189
Dont waste your time replaying FFXIII; its not worth it and you'll know what's going on anyway because the game treats you like you vaguely remembered the plot anyway.
>>
>>319535212
THE God of FF13 universe is bringing about the equivalent of Biblical apocalypse.
You tell the God to fuck off and through the power of love and friendship kill him which triggers the apocalypse anyway so everyone are teleported to our real life's France and live happily everafter. The End.

Since it has a a time mechanic and ends with apocalypse just like Majora's Mask you could say this game is Majora's Mask: Atheism Edition
>>
>>319535346
Alright. I just wanted to get an idea of the plot again and have all the characters fresh in my mind but if it's not worth it I might just start LR in a few hours.
>>
>>319535271
>kill THE God
>Jesus
>>
>>319535271
Just because it's over the top and filled with supernatural AND tech-wizardry themes does not make it a mess. Believe it or not, LR actually connects and sums up the whole trilogy just fine.

Gameplay-wise LR is perhaps the best JRPG in many years, though it is the most overhauled FFXIII game of them all
>>
>>319535379
The fuck does that have to do with atheism then?
>>
>>319533990
The plots are barely related.

The previous games are used as call backs, or easter eggs at best.
>>
>>319535493
>rejecting God
>not atheism
>>
>>319533990
If you really feel the need to torture yourself by playing all 3, or alternatively, just have shit taste, go for it.
>>
>>319535625
I don't want really want to do that to myself senpai

I just needed convincing
>>
>>319533990
You should read up on XIII-2's antagonist.
That's all.
>>
>>319535625
Don't do it. Play LR, and wipe your hands of the whole sorry trilogy
>>
>>319533990
>how much are the plots in a trilogy related

Gee I don't know anon
>>
>>319535728
I remember Caius as an eternally butthurt waifufag. What more is there to know? He only shows up to cry over Yeul and try to kill you.

On that note, should I watch the secret XIII-2 ending?
>>
>>319535520
>direct sequels
>barely related
what is this, amerifats being confused?
>>
>>319535796
it's not really that secret, nor impressive, but yes. That leads to LR.
>>
File: 1446490465142.jpg (38 KB, 531x377) Image search: [Google]
1446490465142.jpg
38 KB, 531x377
>>319535910
Well it is in that you need 100% completion and most people didn't do that, including me.

Still getting people like this >>319535775 worrying me
>>
I bought 13 and 13-2 during a Square-Enix sale on Steam. I was gonna do a full playthrough of 13, then do 13-2 because I never actually finished that one when it came out.

51 hours into 13 and I really don't even give a shit any more. I hate the game and I don't want to play it.
>>
>>319533990
to answer your question OP, i would suggest playing 13-2 at least, you should be fine with just that. But the whole fighting fate premise starts with 13
>>
>>319536124
XIII is the only Final Fantasy I finished since X, it's much better story and gameplay wise than the shitfests before it.
>>
>>319535796

>On that note, should I watch the secret XIII-2 ending?

No need. They abandon that plot thread completely.
>>
>>319536021
XIII's piss easy to "100%" though, since it only requires you to collect those invisible stones.
The alternative endings were much more interesting / fun.
>>
>>319535493
Lightning rejects the idea of a god or people living under a gods will and then proceeds to kill god
>>
OP here. Decided fuck it, gonna play them all in a few months and find something shorter to tide me over until the 25th

Thanks guys
>>
>>319536397
>it's much better story and gameplay wise than the shitfests before it.

What, you mean 11 and 12? or the whole series up to 13?

Regardless, you're wrong on both counts
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.