[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix horror genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
How do we fix horror genre?
>>
Probably just need more artistic people to get involved with designing settings, creatures. Musicians that can set the mood right. I'm pretty bad with the genre but from what it looks like lately moat games that have come out lately are uninspired, buggy, and rely on jumpscares and are cheesy thrillers rather than horror (if that isn't a confusing way to say it.)

Or by posting video game related images so you don't derail your own thread since you probably don't actually care about the horror genre.
>>
Renew Silent Hills
>>
>>319523753
Not making games dependent on jump scares
Not making shitty games that are meant to only scare 6 year olds
Not making games too edgelordcore
>>
>>319523753
force feedback vest
peripherals that biometric variables
hiring actors in suits to scrape at your window and bang on your doors and pour fake blood down your walls
>>
>stop with the closet simulators, artificially restricting your capacity to fight back makes the horror contrived as fuck
>the over-the-shoulder experiment didn't pan out, stop banging against that wall ad nauseum
>stop removing puzzles, the concept of survival gets flat as fuck when all you're doing is running from point A to point B
>>
File: 1423971746314.jpg (29 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
1423971746314.jpg
29 KB, 580x580
>what if we do a Her Story like gameplay
>using slashers practical effect for videos
>protag is a pinkerton in innsmouth
>>
>>319526994

Fuck off, gimmickfag. No goofy peripheral bullshit. Even more cheap than jumpscares.
>>
Stop with the infected/mutated bullshit, where is my Lovecraft?
>>
>>319523753
let it run its course because good games still get released and i would rather everyone not figure out some formula because im already tired of what success and copypasting does to other genres.
>>
'Horror genre' doesn't even exist at this point. Usually a horror game belongs to a different genre but they just tack on horror elements. I can't really think of something off the top of my head that is 100% based on horror and doesn't have you running around shooting zombies or some shit.
>>
Until Dawn 2 is how
>>
we make the games spookier
>>
look like something is eating him up
>>
>>319528430
kek
>>
>>319527386
Well there's Outlast.
>>
>>319528430
CAREFUL, THAT'S A SHARP EDGE.
>>
>>319524292
This

All we get is edgy supernatural tryhard shit in terms of monster designs and scare chords

If we could get more creative and unique designs and ambient music that isn't super-quiet, I would totally play it
>>
>>319523753
>no more Lovecraftian horror
>no more jump scares
>no more dark corridors
>>
>>319529838
>no more Lovecraftian horror
I know "Lovecraftian horror" gets thrown around a lot and that gets annoying, but after Call of Cthulhu there hasn't been a single decent horror game with actual Lovecraftian themes. And CoC is a buggy mess.

So I would love to get an actual Lovecraftian horror game, with appropriate stylistic and mood, not just random shit with tentacles thrown in.
>>
>>319529997
You know what I've always wanted?
A Re-Animator game
>>
>>319525984
This ;_;
>>
File: yes.png (102 KB, 350x312) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
102 KB, 350x312
>>319523753
You bring horror back to it's basics.

Horror is best described as a mixture of fear and the unknown. The more fine tuned the "unknown" is to the player's personal self the more effective the horror will be.

>Slow crawling tension vs. Jump Scares
The game needs a balance of both. If it were only tension then the game will be considered not scary. If only jump scares then the game will be considered garbage and poorly put together.

>Story
Story is integral to the "unknown" element of horror. The most effective way to have story take part of the horror is to have pieces of the story unknown. This is what made the original Silent Hill series scary.
Explain the story element just enough that the players crave to know more and complete the game. Do the story really well then you can hide small details hinting some of the answers.

>Audience
Know the audience and the market the game is being marketed towards. Be sure to tune the game and the story towards that audience.
>>
>>319529997
Would Amnesia be classified as Lovecraftian?

I thought it would've been one, but looking at it again it probably has too much of a happy ending for it to be considered that.
>>
>>319530228
>Enemies
Before I say anything more on this, please make competent AI. Nothing is worst to your game then enemies that act completely blind/stupid. Besides that, enemies often work best if they can't be clearly seen. Looking back at how we evolved as a species, when given the choice to fight or run from a predator in the darkness, humans will always run. Apply that idea to the enemies of the game. They could be any style the game calls for, but they must not be distinct nor visible. Even if the player makes an attempt to look at the species, then visibly should be skewed. Like a living nightmare of someone chasing you.
>>
Horror =/= Jump Scares
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (265 KB, 1920x965) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
265 KB, 1920x965
>>319530540
>More on Audience
Now since we have the basics out the way, lets talk about what the audience is scared of.
Is it people that just like casual horror games? - Have the game be based on traditional horror stories that will appease the most people.
Is it people that love lore-ful horror games? - Have the game create a new monster(s) with a new brand of psychological horror. Weeping Angels and articles from SCP show great examples of upper level entitles that bring terror to human level intelligence.
>>
>>319530228
>>319530540
>>319530926
This is basically all that is needed for a great horror game to take place. Everything else is up to the developer.
>>
>>319523753
By not making a horror game, then at some point unsettling things happen that caught the players off guard.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.