[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else feel "bored" of open world concepts? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (634 KB, 1920x731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
634 KB, 1920x731
Anyone else feel "bored" of open world concepts? I LOVE the genre, it's just I've been wondering, there aren't many things in the world itself that "wow" me. But I mean, what is there left? Even if you create your own original landscapes, like in Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one), there's not much to draw ideas from? Am I wrong? Please give me some solutions to this problem, landscapes being too similar to Earth and to each other.
>>
File: th.jpg (17 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
17 KB, 480x270
That's why open outer space is the future
>>
File: Retaliator_Header.jpg (1 MB, 2549x1020) Image search: [Google]
Retaliator_Header.jpg
1 MB, 2549x1020
>>319488679
It sucks Mass Effect failed at that opportunity. At least Space Sims are coming back online.
>>
>>319488679
But space ends up same-y, too.
>>
File: 2015-09-18_00001.jpg (577 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-18_00001.jpg
577 KB, 1920x1080
>>319488076
Waypoints. Instead of learning the world and becoming apart of it, you have a nice little gps that you stare at to do fetch quests.
>>
You grew up

You realized most open world games are rather shallow experiences just for fucking around
>>
>>319489525
Not when you have different planets/cities/space stations to explore.
>>
>>319489525
get a new hobby then pleb if you dont enjoy games.
>>
>>319488076
Yes because in the end they leave you with nothing to do but wander around with repetitive auto generated quests and bad ai that doesn't acknowledge your actions in any way.
Open world could be good but the technogoly is lacking at the moment.
>>
>>319490206
This isn't what I'm talking about. While I do agree with you, what concerns me most is that every open world will feel the same when they have a desert, tundra, coast, mountain range, volcano, whatever else Earth has. I want to know how people will create new, imaginative landscapes.
>>
>>319490206
They take too many resources from the rest of the game most of the time, too. Many times the game world just ends up feeling empty. Like you said, the possibilities are there, but the technology isn't.
>>
WOW "op" are you (sic) "autistic" or SOMETHING?
>>
>>319490765
Why not just release it on two discs and keep the resources that way?
>>
Easy, really. First, you create your own personal universe inside a jar, with its own physics and logic separate from ours. You wait for a planet to form life and then you stick that in your game.
>>
>>319488076
>genre
It's a feature, not a genre. i.e., Burnout Paradise is a racing game that features an open world.
>>
>>319491147
Are you being sarcastic or not? If you aren't, could you explain a little more what you mean?
>>
>>319491026
Lol
>>
>>319490206

This.
>>
>>319492301
? What's so funny?
>>
>>319490206
The tech isnt lacking.
Just that "repetitive auto generated quests and bad ai that doesn't acknowledge your actions in any way" are exactly the thing they want to make. well, outside the "ai" part. Open world nowaday are mmo simulator, designed to feed the audience till the next full release. Rockstar care more about gtao than gtav should tell you something.
If you give the concept and budget to someone with interest and experience in the crpg genres, you might have better open world but only 1/10 the scale of current aaa "open werld". And that's if their autism doesn kick in and they run out of budget.
>>
>>319489957
>Enjoys video games
>Calls anyone else a pleb

Yeah, no.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.