[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An honest critique of Fallout 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 10
File: Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg (34 KB, 238x293) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg
34 KB, 238x293
To preface: I was one of those guys who liked NV more than 3, so 4 didn't get me too excited. But then I actually played. I'm having a blast. So, after around 60 hours of play, here is my list of pros and cons of the game.
Pros:
1. World Design: Bethesda's world design has never been more on point; it puts even Skyrim's world design to shame. Areas in-game are varied, detailed, atmospheric and encourage exploration.
2. Gunplay: Combat is light years ahead of all of Bethesda's previous games; it's dynamic, hard to the point of making you think tactically and play cautiously but not to frustration (which is very hard to accomplish), and the AI is competent; preferring to seek cover in a gun fight as opposed to stand in the open like an idiot in previous games.
3. Narrative: allow me to explain, Fallout 4's story is much better than Fallout 3, though not as good as NV. No clear bad guys, an actually good ethical dilemma, good hooks, and the BoS actually acts like the BoS from older Fallouts, as opposed to how in 3 they were standard goody-two-shoes. I would say, overall, the writing is on par with the Fallout 3 DLC: the Pitt, for comparison.
4. Companions: this is the first game where Bethesda got companions right. each companion is unique, memorable, is useful, has good and unique dialogue, quests, and will call you out if you do something they don't like.
Cons:
1. Dialogue: my biggest grip. Limited, mass-effect type dialogue.
2. Lack of character builds: at high level, you will be pretty much good at everything.
3. Interface: it, especially the settlements interface can be a bit clunky. UI mod is gonna be a godsend.

Thoughts?
>>
>>319458435
You forgot the shitty copy paste quests
>>
>>319459018
standard in all RPGs senpai. Goes without saying.
>>
File: fallout4.jpg (82 KB, 600x894) Image search: [Google]
fallout4.jpg
82 KB, 600x894
>>319458435
Are you me? I think I literally agree with everything you're saying.

Fallout 4 is what Fallout 3 should've been.
>>
>>319459152
You really think that they quests in 4 were as good as the NV quests? In an RPG, the quests are supposed to offer a ride range of solutions, so that the player can pick the choice that best suits their character - thats how you roleplay. In fallout 4, the quests were 90% 'go to point A and kill all the things, then come back to point B' - they railroad the player using one method, so the player has no roleplaying options. 4 was a shitty rpg in general, it was only okay as an open world shooter
>>
Characters: 6/10. Some have good personalities and are fun to have follow you, but most are forgettable and/or bland.

Atmosphere: 8/10. Feels like a Fallout Game with the environment feeling worn down, things crumbling, radiation everywhere, dirty people. Nice to finally play a video game that's "bright".

Graphics: 8/10. They are pretty nice considering how old the engine is. Nothing else to say, some aspects are still pretty bad but overall it looks pretty.

Gunplay: 9/10. Feels pretty tight. V.A.T.S. works well enough and ADS feels much better than previous FO games.

Main Quest: 7/10. Was OK, ending was shit but the ride to it was decent. Kinda short though.

Side quests: 6/10. Some of them are very fun (Silver Shroud, Faction Quests) but most are repetitive and bring.

RPG Elements: 6/10. It's OK to streamline a game but removing the building aspects of making a character take a lot away from the adventure. Dialogue wheel is shit and I miss skills.

Overall: 50/70. Game is a solid B. Not GOTY material and is a fun game, but not worth time and effort of multiple playthroughs. Will be forgotten about by this time next year.
>>
>>319459737
> In an RPG, the quests are supposed to offer a ride range of solutions
Not necessarily. When you break it down to the purest form, a Role-playing game is just that: you play a role. You are to play as that role would. Offering choice is optional and depends on the type of character you have been given/chosen for yourself. If you are playing a character which is left open for the player to fill in the blanks on, yes choice is integral. In Fallout 4, however, you are given a much more defined role, so less choice is a given. Whether you like or dislike that is a matter of personal preference.
>>
>>319459737
It is a matter of opinion. I liked Fallout 4's side-quests more than NV. Both games offer you choices to make, Fallout 4 does have side-quests where you have meaningful choices just like New Vegas.

The main quest line in NV is superior and offers far more choices/freedom than Fallout 4's tho.
>>
Bethesda still can't grasp the atmosphere 1 and 2 had. 3 was too much dark, 4 doesn't feel like enough. Everything looking plastic-y doesn't contribute well either. I can handle butchered lore and shitty stories but I'd like them to get this right.
>>
>>319458435
>, hard to the point of making you think tactically and play cautiously
Not at all. Get a decent gun and shoot them to death while injecting stimpacks and drugs. There's nothing tactical about the combat.
>>
>>319460726
>It is a matter of opinion. I liked Fallout 4's side-quests more than NV.
I hated 4's. What's so great about 'em?
>>
So what's up with AP mods, Are the worth the damage reduction?
>>
>>319460463
>Will be forgotten about by this time next year.

I don't think so. You are underestimating GECK's potential. Moreover we still have dlcs left. The game will remain alive longer than Skyrim if the modding community does what they did to Skyrim and the DLCs are good.
>>
>>319460661
it's not personal preference at all, giving the MC a voice and backstory fucking killed any hope for roleplaying
LITERALLY every dialog choice is
>yes?
>sarcastic yes
>maybe, but yes
>yes

in previous fallouts i could be the joker and go around and shank people
in fallout 4 i have to be a nice-guy military dad who can sometimes be sarcastic
>>
>>319460842
>There's nothing tactical about the combat.
Wrong. Combat is significantly harder, the PC is more fragile, and AI is much better than previous games. I have never died more often, especially early on, in a Bethesda game. Granted, things get easier later on, especially if you just fight lower levels, but something will always be there to challenge you if you look for it.
>>
File: 1432670344403.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1432670344403.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
>Bethesda updates game
>mods no longer work
>update NMM
>mods still dont work
>>
>>319460661
>a Role-playing game is just that: you play a role
Exactly, and to play a role you need to have control over how your character behaves. In fallout 4 you are forced to be a violent mass murderer that guns down almost the entire population of Boston.
>In Fallout 4, however, you are given a much more defined role
You can't even roleplay as that defined role though - you are supposed to be a parent desperately looking for their son, yet you are constantly encouraged to partake in side activities that have nothing to do with that goal.
>Whether you like or dislike that is a matter of personal preference
I don't mind defined roles, but Fallout 4 didn't give the player any opportunity to roleplay at all. They were more concerned with making the world a fun theme park.

>>319460726
>Both games offer you choices to make
NV does this much better than Fallout 4 though. What 'meaningful choices' could you make in 4? The only one that matters is the faction you choose. There is almost no C&C in that game, it doesn't even have ending slides.
>>
>>319458435
My biggest qualm with most critiques is a lot of people saying there isnt room for actual builds because you can (in theory) get) all perks by getting to max level. Dark Souls also lets you get max stats by max level but no one is going to put in the time for either game to get that high
>>
>>319461321
That's still not "tactical" or "thought provoking".
It may be harder than fallout 3 but that doesn't mean you can't just consume stimpacks and psycho to bullet sponge your way through everything.
>>
>>319458435
I would say I agree with most of your points, although I would add that a lot of the quests were bland. Also the weapon modding and settlement building are a little underwhelming.
>>
>>319461321
>fallout 4
>hard
jesus fucking christ
just jam stimpacks into yourself and hide for a minute
i play on survival and this is the easiest fucking bethesda game ever
git fucking gud
>>
>>319461065
If you are fighting armoured targets, yes. AP on Mirelurks is very useful, other wise you can waste many, many bullets trying to pierce their shells. I'd say have one gun that is AP on you.
>>
>>319461176
>LITERALLY every dialog choice is
>yes?
>sarcastic yes
>maybe, but yes
>yes

Is this a bait post? Have you even played the game, seriously?

These monotonous options only show up when you are excepting a quest. They are in the minority.
>>
>>319460463
>RPG Elements: 6/10
You mean 0? What RPG elements did the game even have? You are completely unable to roleplay in that game.
>>
>>319461321
Everyone except you beat the game by shooting everything in sight.
>>
>>319460661
By your definition every single game is a fucking role-playing game. In CoD you "play the role" of a soldier. In Nintendogs you "play the role" of a dog owner. Fuck outta here with this stupid shit.
>>
>>319461598
not really. sometimes you get a choice between a few charisma checks, but it always either 1 of 2 outcomes
>>
>>319461482
The problem was putting level requirements on all the perks, so for the majority of the game players would have very similar characters
>>
>>319461354
>NV does this much better than Fallout 4 though. What 'meaningful choices' could you make in 4? The only one that matters is the faction you choose. There is almost no C&C in that game, it doesn't even have ending slides.

Ofc it does, that is why I like NV's main quest line over Fallout 4's.

But as for side quests in Fallout 4 the choices are pretty much the same as in NV. They don't have a major impact on anything.
>>
>>319461923
He's right though. RPG's are just games where you use numbers and stats to improve your character. It has nothing to do with actually playing a role and making decisions, that's just extra.
Case in point,Final Fantasy.
>>
>>319462147
so every game is a role playing game then
just get the fuck outta here
>>
>>319462215
Nope, once again, the defining aspect of a rpg when we're talking vidya is that the most important aspect of the game is character skills/abilities/gear aka numbers.
>>
>>319461176
>in fallout 4 i have to be a nice-guy military dad who can sometimes be sarcastic
>i have to be
No, there is always the option to be an ass and tell people to fuck off. Though, yes, dialogue is lacking in general. Once again, choice isn't mandatory in RPGs, although common. Being common doesn't make it a rule.
>>
>>319462343
So Call of Duty is an rpg. You have the character skills and abilities in loadouts. You have numbers in your level and the weapon stats.
>>
>>319461354
None of that shit is what defines a role playing game. You're just used to playing Obsidian and Bioware games where they offer you the illusion of choice or offer you inconsequential decisions like "Now there's a different sheriff!"
>>
>>319462369
A lot of conversations only have one option that ends them. Like when Piper asks what youre looking for, you can be evasive, sarcastic, and mean, but each loops back to the options until you say "muh baby boy shaun" in that faggoty whine of a voice
>>
>>319458435
>World Design
The world doesn't make any sense at all. Why are there just suits of power armour and miniguns that apparently anyone can use just lying around? Have they really just been sitting there for hundreds of years? Little things like this in the world building destroyed my suspension of disbelief.
>Gunplay
Its the best its ever been in a fallout game, but there are plenty of games that do gunplay better. The main thing holding it back was the bullet spongey enemies, especially on survival. It made you feel as though you were shooting paintbullets, since normal humans took over a dozen rounds to kill.

>Narrative
I agree that its better than 3, but still doesn't compare to past fallout games.

>Companions
I hated the way the like/dislike thing for companions. It undermines any emotional moments there may have been between you and your companions when they started to get close to you. After you pick a few locks in front of cait, she falls in love with you and opens up about her drug problem. It just doesn't work at all.
>>
>>319458435
Seems about right. I actually really like the gunplay. I prefer shottys and laser rifles, and I run out of ammo for those so quickly it's not funny. But shitty pipe gun ammo is everywhere. Sort of adds a layer of strategy: do I one-shot everything with limited ammo, or do I have a dangerous gunfight with a terrible gun?

Off-topic, but given Bethesda's history of taking inspiration from popular tv shows and movies, I'm a little disappointed there's not more Mad Max-inspired gameplay. Fixing up a Chryslus Highwayman to drive through the Glowing Sea, while avoiding gunfire from insane, radiation-worshipping tribals would've been cool.

But I suppose the Power Armor gameplay sort of lays the groundwork for a mod to take care of that (Fusion Cores as fuel, install a turret on top to let you use weapons etc). A car wouldn't be practical in Boston, but the Glowing Sea has enough flat areas for it to work.
>>
>>319462506
Player skill is the primary aspect of an fps and there's also no emphasis on story which is a requirement which separates rpg and strategy titles.
>>319462369
I agree with you anon but there was certainly an expectation that Fallout 4 would have branching dialogue trees and paths.
>>
>>319462108
Most of the quests in NV would at least affect faction rep, karma and ending slides though.
>>
>>319459737

apart from the rocket boat quest, I totally agree with you
>>
>>319462686
You can literally just have your PC walk away and end the conversation without answering. You aren't locked into any dialogue, with a few rare cases.
>>
>>319462147
>RPG's are just games where you use numbers and stats to improve your character
No, they're about filling a role
>It has nothing to do with actually playing a role
Do you even know what RPG stands for?
>Case in point,Final Fantasy.
JRPGs are not role playing games. That genre has the worst name of all time, makes no sense.
>>
>>319462369
>choice isn't mandatory in RPGs
What do you think an RPG is?
>>
>>319463098
Oh ok cool, so people talk to you indefinitely until you either pick a certain response or wall away. That's a great system.
>>
>>319458435
Bethesda needs better writers. That would fix a lot of the problems.
>>
>>319463115
You can never play a role in vidya, you can only have the illusion of playing a role via branching paths.
Thus RPGs in vidya terms are just games that emphasize story and character building over say headshots, reflexes, and timing.
Pretty simple anon. Also if JRPG are not RPGs and the entire world is wrong....what the fuck are they?
>>
>>319461329
edit the appdata/local/fallout4/plugins folder to read only, AFTER you unload and reload all your mods

thank you todd
>>
>>319462804
>a little disappointed there's not more Mad Max-inspired gameplay
The whole series is a rip-off of Mad Max already, mate. Anything more would basically border copyright infringement.
>>
>>319462518
>None of that shit is what defines a role playing game
You don't know what an RPG is. An RPG is a game in which you assume the role of a character. In fallout 4 you do not behave as though you are a character, you act like you're playing a game.
>>
>>319463498
D&D is the only true rpg
>>
>>319463528
>The whole series is a rip-off of Mad Max
This is the single most wrong opinion I've ever heard in regards to Fallout, which is based on Wasteland.
>>
>>319461329
Fucking this. Game was actually pretty fun once I got no player voice and new dialogue display mods, and now I'm back to sounding like a total faggot again
>>
>>319462863
Indeed, and I was disappointed at the lack of choice. Too bad the PC voice acting will make dialogue mods hard.
>>
>>319461176
>in fallout 4 i have to be a nice-guy military dad who can sometimes be sarcastic
It's amazing how much that deviates from Bethesda's usual design philosophy of "be whoever and whatever you want".

Perks KIND OF let you play a computer hacker or a doctor, but there's no actual quest options that take advantage of it. No sick people to cure, and no Railroad members trying to hack into an Institute database. It's just "heal yourself better" and "get some slightly better loot or deactivate turrets you could knock out in one hit anyway".

I STILL don't know what the point of all those Protectron pods are. They're too slow to help in combat, since you're halfway across the map before they even leave the first room, and paramedic Protectrons don't even heal you. What's the point of hacking those terminals?
>>
>>319463787
D&D is actually a terrible rpg.
It's more of a roll playing game than anything.
Paranoia is where it's at.
>>
>>319463327
Not saying it was, but the option is there and I wanted to point it out.
>>
>>319460839
>I can handle butchered lore and shitty stories
Not in a Fallout game, man
>>
>>319463842
Like another anon said, there was a good "no pc voice" mod that worked well with mods that fully expand dialogue choices. But now good ol' Todd has fucked up mods with patch 1.2
>>
I think people area not acknowledging Fallout 4's rpg elements properly. Most of you are saying there are no choices to make, quests have the same outcome, you can't do whatever you want. This is not entirely true. There are many quests in the game where you are offered meaningful choices to make between sparing someone, killing someone, asking for information, being polite or a dick, etc.

Rpg elements are just downgraded compared to New Vegas. Calling Fallout 4 a pure shooter is inappropriate. Character builds, overall dialogues and choices are just less, it is not like they don't exist at all in Fallout 4.
>>
>>319463787
>D&D is the only true rpg
/tg/ would rip you a new asshole if they heard that. There a many superior table-top RPGs to D&D.
>>
>>319463498
>You can never play a role in vidya
You don't have absolute freedom, but you can get close enough so that player has a convincing illusion. So long as the player feels as though they are playing a role, its good enough.
>Also if JRPG are not RPGs and the entire world is wrong....what the fuck are they?
They aren't roleplaying games, they only took the combat system from RPGs. I guess its too late to change the name now though.

>Pretty simple anon.
cunt
>>
>>319463801
Wasteland itself is a rip-off of Mad-Max, though. So Fallout is Mad-Max inspired by proxy. The both took Mad-Max themes and feel and translated it to game form.
>>
File: dana-white-laughing-mma.png (368 KB, 950x451) Image search: [Google]
dana-white-laughing-mma.png
368 KB, 950x451
>Areas in-game are varied, detailed, atmospheric and encourage exploration.
> an actually good ethical dilemma, good hooks
>each companion is unique, memorable, is useful, has good and unique dialogue, quests

OP just proved that there is such a thing as a wrong opinion.
>>
>>319464143
What makes the choices meaningful? There is no consequence.
>>
>>319464298
The only thing that keeps them from being rpgs to you is that they lack branching paths, something old school rpgs often lacked as well.
>>319464510
I don't think Mad Max owns the entire post apoc genre of narrative fiction. Certainly a huge milestone that influenced fallout and wasteland but neither is a rip off of anything.
Even Fallout is substantially different from it's sister series Wasteland.
>>
>>319463921
>Bethesda's usual design philosophy of "be whoever and whatever you want".
Not really. Bethesda only always gave you that allusion of be who you want. It's more like, "Be who you wan, as long as you still do X by the end." You always had to be the big hero to somebody. Older titles hid it better, though. If you could truly be whomever, you could theoretically just play a farmer, or day labourer once you got out of prison in Oblivion or Skyrim for example.
>>
>>319464650
Not OP, but look at it this way. You can go to the water treatment plant (one of the game's better quests, actually, with the "work out how to drain the water" thing), and it's completely different to the corvega factory.

In 3 both would've just been generic "factory" dungeons. In Skyrim, there were "Dwemer ruin", "cave with bandits" "cave with skeletons", "fort with bandits" and "fort with skeletons". The dungeons in 4 are a huge step in the right direction.
>>
>>319464684
There are consequences. The impact is just less.

Like the Vault 81 mission where if you choose to help kid you just get like -10 hp, kek. Triggermen attacking you in Diamond City if you failed to negotiate with their boss, etc.
>>
>>319464961
>I don't think Mad Max owns the entire post apoc genre of narrative fiction
No, but it wrote it. Just like how Night of the Living Dead set the standard tropes for the modern zombie genre, Mad Max is that to the post-apocalypse genre..
>>
>>319462108
>They don't have a major impact on anything.
Only if you think the small groups are nothing

In which case, fuck you
>>
>>319464650
All the things he said are true tho.
>>
>>319465523
>Night of the Living Dead
Just a rip off of I Am Legend desu senpai.
I'm being a cunt but yeah, there are no original ideas. Mad Max was surely inspired by another story which was inspired by another and so on so on so forth.
>>
>>319464961
So long as the player is kept paranoid about what consequences their choices have, they will be roleplaying all the time. The player would be acting as though they were their character with every action they take, because they would be thinking about the realistic consequences of their actions as their character would. You don't need to have infinite branching paths in a game, only enough to fool the player into thinking that the game is a simulation of a real world.
>>
>>319465660
Hi OP
>>
>>319458435
The only issue I have with this game is the level scaling.

I want to feel like a badass in my upgraded gear, revisiting places that gave me trouble previously, only to storm in and wipe them off my boot.

I can't do this in FO4. I level up, so does everything else. I get better gear, so does everything else. It doesn't feel like I'm actually getting any stronger than my environment unless I directly funnel points into the perks that give you hard Accuracy and Damage traits.

To be honest, I have more fun building shit in sanctuary than I do exploring the world.

The weapons are also pretty forgettable.
>>
>>319465878
Except that's just an element commonly found in rpgs, not something required for a game to be an rpg since story and immersion are big factors for that genre.
>>
>>319465856
You could argue its more about who popularized the tropes of a genre than who first wrote it that matters. In which case, Mad Max and Night of the Living Dead certainly fit the bill.
>>
>>319466197
I guess my main point though is just because something is a mystery story doesn't mean it's a Sherlock Holmes rip off.
Similarly, just because Fallout is a post apocalyptic story doesn't mean it's a Mad Max rip off. It draws a much heavier influence from Wasteland which isn't much like Mad Max.
>>
>>319466008
>The weapons are also pretty forgettable.
True unless you use weapon mods. They make weapons much more dynamic and made to fit a specific situation.You can tell Bethesda put most of its focus there in terms of weapons..
>>
>>319466193
If the player behaves as though they were their character, then they are roleplaying, thus making it a roleplaying game. A strong story and immersion are elements that are commonly found in RPGs because they fit naturally into the genre.
>>
>>319466537
As a person who primarily plays rpgs I do this in every game. If I'm playing a shooter I treat death as a serious threat because it's more immersive and I find that fun. Doesn't make every game I play an rpg though.
>>
>>319466423
I'm not using Rip-off in a negative sense, and whether they are rip-offs depend on your definition of it, which is largely arbitrary. It is true that Fallout is inspired heavily by Wasteland, which itself is inspired by Mad Max. So, both games use many of the tropes and themes popularized by Mad Max, with a spin.
>>
>>319465969
I am not OP.

Lets see, here are the points you/he mentioned-

>Areas in-game are varied, detailed, atmospheric and encourage exploration.

This is true, every place in the game feels unique, the enemies don't tho. It is by far the most detailed Fallout game.

There are tons of locked chests, terminals, random loot in every place, now these locked chests/terminals sometimes have passwords/keys laying somewhere.The game encourages exploration.

>each companion is unique, memorable, is useful, has good and unique dialogue, quests

Again true, every companion has a unique personally which you may or may not like. I personally hate Cait. They are kinda memorable.
They are useful, every companion can do something unique, Cait can open any lock, Nick can hack any terminal, Curie gives you free stimpacks, etc.
Every companion has unique dialogue lines and quests.
>>
>>319466008
I find that games get horribly boring if I am able to stomp everything into the dirt, if they didnt have scaling you'd have fun being king for a day then drop it
>>
I wish people would stop acting like fallout is some amazing series. Its a good game worth a play but its nothing particularly special and it gets old quickly, they all get average scores because that's what they are, average.
>>
>>319466760
Gee anon, its almost as if genre classifications are totally arbitrary and are based on how you play!
>>
>>319467016
Except they're not and never have been.
They're a way of communicating to the consumer what the game is about and what it's design goals are in a concise form.
RPGs are about character building and story. Branching paths can improve a sense of agency but aren't required.
>>
File: 1394866714920.jpg (21 KB, 400x436) Image search: [Google]
1394866714920.jpg
21 KB, 400x436
>>319458435
Do you think the game can be significantly improved with patches and mods, or is it gonna be what it is now? Trying not to read too much about the game, but also trying to decide how long I should hold off.
>>
>>319466905
I'm not that guy either.

>every place in the game feels unique
A bunch of burnt out buildings with ghouls/raiders inside. Once you get good enough gear there becomes little incentive to explore.

The companions were all cliched, therefore not memorable. They were mainly useful for carrying gear.
>>
>>319466760
Shooters aren't RPGs because you aren't encouraged to roleplay. You don't get punished for failing to roleplay or rewarded for roleplaying. >>319467174
Not all story focused games are RPGs, for the reason above
>>
File: 1374870415915.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1374870415915.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>319466905
>every place in the game feels unique. It is by far the most detailed Fallout game.
>every place is the same ruin with nothing interesting in it, only skeletons, teddy bears in funny poses and terminals with fan-fiction tier writing or loot to catch the attention of ADHD kiddies

>Every companion has unique dialogue lines and quests.
>cringe-worthy acting and dialogue from everyone except Nick
>'how did that ship get up there?'
>'ho' dee'dah sheep gee-up da?'
>'mon dieu, how did le ship get up there, oui, merci'
>repeat for every companion
>do this """"""quest"""""" for me, spam some actions and we're in love
>They are kinda memorable.
>>
>>319467261
This. If I see a crashed train, I know there will be ghouls. Trains have nothing to do with ghouls, but I'm at a point where when I see a train I draw a weapon. That's the kind of repetitive shit I hate
>>
World building is still irredeemably shit.
>>
File: kek.jpg (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
55 KB, 625x626
>>319467648
Not even going to bother arguing with your logic.
>>
>>319468015
>thinking anything you don't agree with is bait
>>
>>319458435
So all the cons are the main aspects of an rpg and the story is not as good as NV. Also there's level scaling and you need mods (like the dialog one) to make it playable. Fucking Bethesda, why do they have to dumb down and shit on every fucking series? In TES happened the same, there's no role playing, there's no replayability. You end up easily being a jack of all trades god that can do everything in the game. What's the fun seriously? Do people just want candy crush difficulty challenge in their games? Even candy crush is harder than Skyrim and I'm not even joking.
>>
>>319467174
Is there or has ever been a way to objectively classify a genre. No, they become part of the genre that the majority agrees it should be in by how they each individually experience it. It is the definition of an arbitrary system. So yes, YOU can say CoD is an RPG because of the points you mentioned, but it isn't because it wasn't they way most people played and experienced they game.
>>
>>319464017

How is that a fucking option when it's so completely unnatural in any normal conversation. Is it so fucking hard to have a list of options and have the last one say, "well I have to go." Voiced protag literally killed any semblance of interesting dialog because fuck having to pay for more lines.

>>319466905

Detailed but nothing to do except shoot the same fucking enemies in the same slightly different fucking areas. Randomized loot doesnt do anything when your loot pool is less than 20 weapons, with no semblance of tier progression past Pipe weapon -> everything. Or unarmed's Knuckle -> Powerfist. What's the point of exploring except for the sake of exploring. Legendary enemies are the best source of loot and 90% of the areas are unused in quest content. Literally what the fuck do you do in game besides explore. Play minecraft if you want that shit, infinite 'exploration' with the same mindless settlement building autism you can post on reddit for upvotes.
>>
>>319468015

it would be a shame if you would lose a debate now wouldnt it?
>>
>>319468375
>How is that a fucking option when it's so completely unnatural in any normal conversation.
If you can do it, it is an option. It is that simple.
>>
>>319461176
Nice-guy military dad is optional. You can just kill everyone -- that is always a choice in these games.

I mean, it can fuck up your game something wicked, just rolling into every new place and starting a massacre of the non-hostile NPCs. I just killed off most of Diamond City because they were pissing me off, and most of Covenant and Goodneighbor are dead, too, as well as the majority of the caravans.

I'm hoping some new vendors will spawn so I can buy/sell shit, because I've pretty much killed everyone who wasn't set to essential, and I'm meant to be doing the Memory Den quest with Nick Valentine, but he's currently hostile.
>>
>>319468536

Shoot him until he falls down and he'll calm down.
>>
File: 1442670846994.png (821 KB, 1330x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442670846994.png
821 KB, 1330x1080
>>319468536
>You can just kill everyone
>in a bethesda game
>>
>>319468536
>You can just kill everyone
You can't even do that because of invincible NPCs
>>
>>319468525
What? There are plenty of things, like saying "no" or "im leaving" that make way more sense and arent options. It's more like "if it is shitty but saves us time, it is an option."
>>
>>319468686
Ah. I've been doing it wrong -- I didn't shoot him, I whacked him with a pipe wrench. That's obviously why he's still hostile.
>>
>>319458435
>the BoS actually acts like the BoS from older Fallouts, as opposed to how in 3 they were standard goody-two-shoes
I want to know, were there people who started the series with FO3 who complained about this? I know there were those who complained about it in New Vegas.
>>
>>319458435
There is no point to this thread. People are going to deflect every reasonable argument you make because "bethesda is shit lel nv is better".
>>
>>319468536
You're desciribing "yippee im a violent ten year old", not a genuinely interesting evil character. And like many other said a good amount of named npcs are invincible because Todd was too lazy to have quests branch in case of NPC deaths
>>
>>319468801
If you're not a console fag, you can always just set them unessential.
>>
so preschool ADS style gameplay is 'good, 'and you guys are agreeing with each other

did it ever occur to you that you like really terrible game?

the only thing that should be said about the combat is that once again they failed to solve the spiky difficulty on the hardest setting...hours of effortless victory, and then random bottlecap mine or enemy with 999999999 hit points
>>
>>319468975
Read the thread, no has said anything like that
>>
>>319469051
Quests get completely fucked by that though, and it kind of breaks immersion to have to type in a console command whenever I want to kill someone. That takes so much more time than the act of murdering them will I might as well just kill them with the console too. And then it's not even a game anymore
>>
>>319458435
>BoS actually acts like the BoS from older Fallouts
So thats why they make you a member after a 20 minute quest
>>
>>319468816
Do you possess basic reading-comprehension? I said if it can be done, it is an option. That's it. I didn't say it was a good or bad option, just an option. Any besides, perhaps I wanted to RP a character who is autistic and doesn't know how to end conversations, so he just walks off? Maybe to your character it makes no sense, but it makes perfect to the character I just described.
>>
>>319458435
>hard to the point of making you think tactically
What a joke. The combat is easy as piss.
Its miles ahead of 3 and NV but its so easy it gets boring after a while.
>>
>>319469291
Fallout 1 and 2
>BoS is an isolated technology focused faction, and for good reason wary of outsiders. It gets most of its recruits through the procreation of current members
Fallout 4
>"What is your business here civilian?"
>"HATE SYNTHS, EX-MILITARY"
>"Welcome aboard, knight. Speak to Elder Maxon for your power armor. Oh and he's not wearing a helmet and we just met you so, honor system, please don't shoot him in the head."
>>
>>319469305
So your argument is that it works because it is perfect for roleplaying an autistic character?
>>
>>319461974
yeah, that decision was pretty dumb.
>>
>>319469815
Once again, you confirm your lack of reading comprehension. Good job.
>>
>>319469704
>implying a faction can't change it's priorities and MO over the course of a fucking century
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
I find it really interesting that in my first runthrough and 25 hours in (over the course of a few weeks, finals are a time killer), I have had no reason to touch Diamond City yet. I have been well satisfied with the Minutemen, BoS questing, and exploring topside of Diamond City all without caring about settlement building.

I will give it to Bethesda that the exploration side of Fallout has never left. I am still excited to find new places, scared as shit when entering raider or mutant territory, and traveling around with Curie as a stimpack dispenser is a plus.

Gameplay, story, non-RPG elements aside, exploring the new wasteland has been very fun. Modding the shit out of the game has helped too, just wish this shIt was IMPLEMENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE! Pic completely related.
>>
>>319470382
The brotherhood was incredibly resistant to outside influences/change though
>>
The environments look good (mostly because of godrays) and the gunplay's decent but the character models/animations still need work. Why Bethesda won't switch engines is honestly beyond me.
>>
>>319470970
But it's also been a literal century and of a chapter on the other side of the country, it's quite reasonable.
>>
>NPC is a total cunt to you

>pull out a shotty and blow their head off

>but wait, that NPC was a part of a shitty side quest that you were never going to do, so now they're immortal and you can't kill them

stupid
>>
>>319470836
really? Radiant quests are that interesting to you? I can only stand recovering so many reflux capacitors and helping settlements I've helped 3 or 4 times already. Just wait till they start sending you to dungeons you've already been to.
>>
>>319470836
>I like radiant quests

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>319471767
I guess that it's more plausible than some of the other retcons but I would have preferred if they kept them the same. You don't have to be able to join the BOS in every game.
>>
>>319472375
>>319472532
>radiant quests
Yea the quests are unoriginal and repetitive but they all don't go to the same places, which is what makes the journey, not the destination of the quest worthwhile to do.
>>
>>319466905

This is the problem with Bethesda Fallouts

instead of making it a post-apocalyptic role playing game, they're making the games into a theme park ride. Exploration is good yes, but it's not about the fucking loot. If you want to go and explore dungeons and fight bosses and get le epic loot go play fucking Path of Exile

Know what would actually be interesting? If there were interesting locations with varied NPCs that gave you different things to do

An underground battle arena, like an expanded version of The Thorn in New Vegas. A sort of racing circuit where people tame wild beasts or fix up old world vehicles and then do these dangerous races where you can get blown up to bits and shit. There are dozens upon dozens of actually interesting locations you can come up with other than stupid ass gimmicks that are a one trick pony.
>>
>>319474214
You walk across a mostly empty wasteland, fight a few mole rats, arrive at point a and kill all the enemies, then go back. You are very easily amused.
>>
Does anyone even remember the renegades of the Brotherhood Faction?

Why not have them in a civil war?
>>
>>319474493
And you havent played the game. Go to Faneuil Hall for the first time, explore the district, do the quest. That journey alone is what made not doing the main quest worth it.

Fuck off. It's fun. Enjoy Memetale or something.
>>
>>319458435
Here's my honest review of Fallout 4:

I had the same experience as Fallout 3. It is more or less the same game with a shinier coat of paint. All the optional shit has zero impact on the game/plot/experience and has no purpose beyond 100% so ignoring that stuff, it is the same game with a few steps forward on their engine (elevators and shit) and several steps back in the UI (ammo only goes to 999 because idk?? aesthetics??).

and there are small things too, things that weren't even a problem before but now are, like keys being dumped into your inventory and you can't drop them, instead of having a Keyring like in NV (since you never ever need to look at your keys)
>>
>>319474214
I don't know what you're talking about. I've been sent to beantown brewery 3 times, not counting the one time I went there for the actual unique quest, for a grand total of 4.

The junkyard raiders that use flamethrowers and shit? At least 5 times.

I'm constantly getting sent to places I've cleared out multiple times. At this point I'm not even taking the fucking radiant quests. I'm trying to discover any places I've missed in hopes that I can encounter a fucking interesting story again.

fuck making a new character. My X-01 armor and weapon arsenal are fully modded and I don't want to do that shit again
>>
>>319463787
VtM is a much better RPG
>>
>>319475092
Maxson negotiated with them and brought them back into the fold
>>
>>319475360
>y-you like TUMBLRTALE, GO AWAY!!!
Nice 'argument' cunt
>>
the game is god damn dog shit, the story is fucked and i killed everyone in the institute now the game is bugged
>>
File: HUH.webm (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
HUH.webm
3 MB, 1600x900
The dialogue manages to go a step back from skyrim.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.