[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my boss got ran over by a car a few days ago and that got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: ds.gif (3 MB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
ds.gif
3 MB, 690x388
So my boss got ran over by a car a few days ago and that got me thinking:

What's the difference between Action RPGs and Hack'n'Slashers?

Both focus on heavily on numbers, equipment, special attributes, elemental influences, etc.
And both have you running around attacking enemies and using spells.

Anyone?
>>
Hack and Slash nowadays is just a umbrella term for combat with weapons.
>>
>>319440139
>So my boss got ran over by a car a few days ago and that got me thinking

What the fuck?
>>
You're a retarded faggot
>>
File: 1386746621787.gif (2 MB, 290x260) Image search: [Google]
1386746621787.gif
2 MB, 290x260
>>319440139
>So my boss got ran over by a car a few days ago and that got me thinking
>>
File: 1446337141628.jpg (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446337141628.jpg
8 KB, 400x400
>>319440280
>This is the world we live in.
>>
Hack'n'Slashers are usually linear and not a open world.
>>
What a good ass thread
>>
>>319440139
ARPGs usually have more depth of some kind while Hacknslash is more about fun and being the dude that killed armies an shit like that.
>>
It's mostly about the balance between reflex-based action gameplay and statistics-based RPG gameplay. I for one view the Souls-like games, especially Bloodborne, as action games with RPG elements moreso than actual RPGs, and with a strong Metroidvania element to them.
>>
The pacing, that's what Yoko said they were balancing when comparing Neir Automata to Metal Gear Rising.
>>
>>319440139
>So my boss got ran over by a car a few days ago and that got me thinking:

Is your boss okay?
>>
>>319440942
Boss got a broken ankle and his wife had a few broken ribs, but they're ok now
>>
File: 1441091924526.gif (907 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1441091924526.gif
907 KB, 256x192
>>319440139
good thread
>>
Hack-and-slash is where your character is fighting a lot of enemies at once and your attacking is less deliberate, but the pacing is generally faster (Gauntlet, Diablo 2/3, Sacred, Norrath, etc).

ARPG feels more deliberate attacking, with less enemies at any given time at slower speeds (aka TW, Souls, Skyrim, etc.)
>>
>>319441049
nigger skyrim isnt an arpg
and i personally wouldnt even call souls games arpgs like what the fuck
>>
>>319441561
>skyrim isnt an arpg
What is it then?
>>
File: Image_016.png (140 KB, 310x447) Image search: [Google]
Image_016.png
140 KB, 310x447
>>319440139
Theyre both subgenres of Action game.
RPG games generally rely on the number crunching and stat handling while Hack and Slash generally refer to a certain kind of play style for an action game. Numbers and such don't really matter as it's mostly just a battle of attrition either way. You hack away at your enemy's health using a range of combos and moves.

Now the difference is rather meager because an RPG can be won the same way if the enemy loses at least one hp. But theres generally more that goes into stat building that it just becomes a grey line of what stats really matter in the grand scheme of the playthrough/build of the game.

Personally I call either an action game W/ or W/O RPG elements but they each have their defining characteristics that may or may not blend within each other.

H+S tend to be more balanced around your character's avaliable moveset, while RPGs are balanaced around your build/options of weapons/spells/items etc.
>>
>>319441561

Go on faggot. Let us know your textbook definitions between ARPGs and Hack-n-Slash with examples.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.