[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any other video games that teach you an actual skill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: ROSM2_hero.jpg (148 KB, 613x331) Image search: [Google]
ROSM2_hero.jpg
148 KB, 613x331
Are there any other video games that teach you an actual skill that you can use outside of the game like Rocksmith?
>>
>>319439789
The are many edu-tainment games. Most are aimed at children.
>>
>>319439789
I don't want to get angry and sound elitist or w/e but fucking Rocksmith is stupid.

If learning an instrument is so boring that you need some shitty game to teach you and play along to then don't play an instrument.

All you need to do is learn how to read tabs for guitar which take 1 minute then start learning songs.
>>
>>319440403
I already knew how to play guitar when i bought rocksmith and i think the game is great. It helps me learn new songs much quicker and the jam session is great with how you can pick your band and they will play and change chords as you solo.

Also all those custom tracks that the community puts out make this game last for a really long time. Playing guitar alone in my room with some tabs was getting boring but rocksmith made it fun again for me.
>>
>>319440842
>Playing guitar alone in my room with some tabs was getting boring

How long had you been playing for?
>>
>>319440947
since 2004, started in highschool while playing the trumpet in the school band.
>>
>>319440842
I always wanted to check out Rocksmith, but I felt like the fad had died off at the time and didn't want to clutter my living room with all that shit again. I wish something like it had come out in ~2008 or whenever Rock Band/Guitar Hero 3 was popular, when I was in high school and still learning to play guitar. Would have been a cool supplement.

Now we're back to square one with the series' reboots. Shame.
>>
>>319441414
Are you me? I started playing guitar in fall of 2004 while playing trumpet; did both for jazz band.

Anyway, I like the idea of rocksmith for some of the reasons you mentioned; I want to be able to pick up some lead playing which is kind of shitty to do when you can't cut out the lead track from an album and it hides all your mistakes. I've been trying to find a way around that and rocksmith seems like it might fit that niche. Would you recommend it for that?
>>
>>319442290
I've used it to learn some tricky solo's in songs. They have a thing in the game called riff repeater where you can take any part of the song and slow it way down until you nail it and then it starts to go up in speed slowly every time to hit all the notes right.

Also the dynamic difficulty is really nice with how it throws just the root notes at you first then starts adding more and more notes until you are playing the actual solo/song. And you can up the difficulty of any song at any time, so if its to easy you can ramp it up to a difficulty you can handle.

I will say it is kinda lacking in the scale lessons department. There is really no game mode that just has you sit down and run threw all the scales you need to solo well. There are guitar arcade games with scales as the gameplay but its more about getting the high score in that rather then practicing scales.

All in all i really enjoy the game and i have been playing every day for a few hours since i got it. Take a look at some videos on youtube and see if its for you or not.
>>
>>319443027
Nice novel man when's chapter 2 came out?
Autistic little faggot.
>>
>>319443167
What is there ITT to even be angry about?
>>
File: 1435261622582.jpg (68 KB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
1435261622582.jpg
68 KB, 720x552
>>319443167
>oh no a post with more then three lines of text
>>
>>319443167
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Do you just think "oh well this is the kind of pointlessly inflammatory bullshit you're supposed to post here right?" God damn I'm so fucking tired of this kind of trash
>>
>>319443167
Were you molested by the lead dev of Rocksmith or something? What a whiny little shit.
>>
>tfw always wanted to learn how to play
>borrowed a cheap ass guitar and learnt how to read tabs, tune and shit
>lost motivation because no matter what I tried to do the sound was always bad, the strings were pretty old or some shit like that
>notice this thread

I kinda want to go back at it now
>>
>>319441423
>didn't want to clutter my living room with all that shit again
Dude, Rocksmith takes less space than anything ever will. Guitar. Rocksmith guitar-to-USB cable. Done. Don't even need an amp since your PSboxC is effectively it
>>
>>319444928
There seems to be a threshold from "why do I suck so bad I can't do anything right" to "what the fuck how did I learn to play like this" at least in my experience. It just kind of happens naturally over time.

I remember when I thought alternate/sweep picking was weirdest shit and that you needed some kind of special dexterity-oriented brain to be able to do it. Then one day I was just going at it before I even realized "hey, this used to be really hard, what happened."

It helps that I was a part of the high school band where we just dicked around all semester - wasn't trying to play anything too complex, but the simple act of playing over and over helped me reach that point of familiarity with the guitar, I think, that I was able to get better.

I was also fond of playing electric early on, so I often turned up the distortion to the point of eliminating any fret buzzing and other annoying "you fucked up" sounds.
>>
get a daw like Cubase

get a guitar and interface

make your own music , its way more fun than any game
>>
>>319444928
It is really great at getting me to play. It's a lot more fun to try and keep up with the song and slowly learning it rather then staring at some tabs on a website.

Also you can just set up your own effects and use them in session mode to jam with virtual band.
>>
>>319439789
Rocksmith teaches you how to play songs but not how to play guitar.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.