[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux gaming thread Windows is dying, thanks to Valve and windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 16
File: steam_os.jpg (252 KB, 1240x930) Image search: [Google]
steam_os.jpg
252 KB, 1240x930
Linux gaming thread

Windows is dying, thanks to Valve and windows 10 spyware bullshit.

Let's share some great games that run on Linux, and general linux tips.
>>
Some linux gaems:

Baldur's gate 1 and 2
Mount and blade warband
Receiver
VVVVVVV
Volgar the viking (Fucking 10/10)
Neo Scavenger

I think Natural selection 2 runs natively on linux too
>>
File: mchan virtual machines.jpg (609 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
mchan virtual machines.jpg
609 KB, 1200x1600
Here's a guide to run a windows emulator within your Linux, to run some old games and software, until windows is done for good.
>>
>>319438464
the fact that you need to compile a list of shit that runs on it and tips for using it is exactly why it will never overtake windows.
>>
Anybody know a fix for TitS FC's no-video bug in Wine?

>>319438676
Stop that, somebody might take this seriously.
>>
>>319438902
>I never use linux and I think it's hard to use it :^)
nice meme and prejudice. Using Linux is just as simple as windows or mac

>the fact that you need to compile a list
Linux gaming is just starting. Half of the steam library has been ported to linux already.

>it will never overtake windows
just fuck off with your meme replies. Windows is shit that spies on you, and has no freedom
>>
>>319439173
man making you linuxfags mad has always been easy mode.
>>
Cossacks 3 and Dishonored 2 are both using OpenGL so both should be on Linux, though D2 hasn't been announced for it yet. I think XCOM 2 is supposed to have a Linux version too. That Turok remaster (1 and 2) are using OpenGL too so they might get Linux versions too. Why people still use DirectX I have no idea.
>>
>>319438464
>Windows is dying

not after they included Candy Crush Saga with every win10
>>
>windows is dying
that's a funny meme
>thanks to Valve
why do linuxfags think that Linux gaming had any traction outside of Steam?

If not for Steam, Linux would still be 90% Tuxrun clones with the occasional source port of a 20+ year old game.

I even use Kali, but this delusion is insane.
>>
>>319439173
>that whole first line

way to make yourself look like an idiot
>>
I still don't like some of the warnings they have on the Steam OS page about "either of the installation methods will erase everything on the target computer"

Don't get me a wrong, I'm an advanced user and this shit doesn't even phase me slightly and when you read through the instructions a bit more it does say that the expert install will allow you configure the partitions yourself but I wish that they just had a proper and half decent fully customisable and configurable installer like every other basic distro. It's a very simple thing and should be sorted. I had expected that to be part of these things going live. It just appears like it's still in the state it was in during the beta.

Just saying.
>>
well no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiMEILa67s
>>
>>319440049
That fucked me over the first time, erasing everything on a secondary hard drive. At least give me a name/storage space to identify what drive is being formatted. Maybe they fixed it now.
>>
>>319441640

Yeah I still have my beta install on my retired machine. I should really test it out before shooting my mouth off too hard. I'm just too lazy right now to go and dig that big machine out right now.
>>
>>319441426
>chooses charlie for windows because if you use it you get aids
>>
>>319438464
>windows is dying
that meme runs at least 10 years now and I am still waiting for the year of Linux! it sure it will be next year 2016 or or maybe 2017 you as bad as the Nostradamus faggots
>>
>>319439629
>why do linuxfags think that Linux gaming had any traction outside of Steam?

GoG is promoting Linux too, with day 1 linux releases and gog galaxy coming to Linux as well
>>
>>319439921
back to reddit, redittor

We can spot you from a mile away
>>
>>319443368

Windows is dying. Slowly bleeding users to Linux.

Now, with Linux being stable as fuck and compatible with most everything but games and adobe software, the bleeding is increasing fast

Windows keeps cutting itself as well meanwhile, with winwodws 8 and windows 10: nsa edition

>>319441426
nice meme
Linux gaming is starting, in order to get away from Windows. People and developers are not migrating to Linux because it already supports game better, they are migrating to make sure windows no longer controls the PC ecosystem and fucks it up the ass
>>
>>319443513

>GOG

It took them even longer to get behind Linux than Valve did.

Still, the point is that Windows isn't dying any time soon. And even if Windows died tomorrow, do you honestly believe that Linux would rise up and take the majority? Linux PC usage is about a tenth of Apple's PC userbase, and without Windows keeping the PC marketplace held Apple would run rampant, unless you like the idea of having to buy Mac products so you can dual boot.
>>
>this whole thread

Goddamn /g/ go away. No one cares.
>>
>>319443816

1 word: NSA scandal

People are realizing windows/mac and anything not open source is seeing everything they do, ever, on their computers and saving on a database

fuck no.

That also includes taking a snapshot of your desktop every few seconds.

Oh, and windows/mac intend to remove pirated things from your PC in the near future. Microsoft already announced that.
>>
>>319443814
nobody cares about nsa except some tinfoil faggots since average jumps the train till the next big news hits them
also on a side note linux is stable forever but it is still a unintuitive piece of shit especially for people which grew up with windows
>>319444002
yeah since that worked in the past
>>
File: steambench-biggest.003.jpg (200 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.003.jpg
200 KB, 1024x768
>>319438464
> implying
>>
File: jared.jpg (515 KB, 849x779) Image search: [Google]
jared.jpg
515 KB, 849x779
>>319444470
>nobody cares
>snowden gets 1 million twitter followers in a few hours

>linux unintuitive
yes, clicking icons is fucking hard! And so different than windows and mac.. like yo have a desktop, and some icons to click to open the programs.. a folder explorer. Real hard shit.
>>
>>319444637
>what is a transaction period for $500
>>
>>319444002

>People are realizing windows/mac and anything not open source is seeing everything they do, ever, on their computers and saving on a database

You say that like they actually are going to act on most of it.

They already know about pretty much all the piracy in the world, but it's simply not worth pursuing it. Even if they had the means to remotely remove pirated materials, there's a reason backup drives exist.

Also, you're forgetting about the vast majority of computer users who either
a) don't give two shits about who sees their stuff
b) aren't going to give up enterprise technical support for muh FOSS
c) are going to continue using whichever platform has the most software suport

So for the foreseeable future, that's Windows. Sure, you can use VMs, but that's cutting down on computing power available since you need to be running Linux before you start the VM, and maintain it in the background.
>>
>>319438464
>Windows is dying

As much as I'd like for free software to be better supported, that's just deluding yourself. Please stop and consider the reality. You're really not helping the free software movement by assuming things are going well - because they're not. Most evidence suggests software is becoming less and less free. The only reason free software is becoming more supported is because the industry as a whole is growing. Relatively, things are becoming more proprietary.
>>
>>319444691

>snowden gets 1 million twitter followers in a few hours

>implying getting 1 million twitter followers in a few hours is hard

come on now, we both know you can do better than that.
>>
File: skeleton-at-keyboard.jpg (87 KB, 1170x780) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-at-keyboard.jpg
87 KB, 1170x780
>>319444806
if the company pushing linux gaming the hardest can't get their own engine up to par with windows, how long is it going to take the whole industry to transition
>>
>Windows is dying guys have you switched to Linux yet? The end is nigh!
Linuxfags have been spamming this shit for the past 15 years, please stop
>>
>>319444853
yet, Windows is dying and game companies, including Gabe Logan Newell, are saying "fuck you windows" and spending money on Linux
>>
>>319445329
They have because Linux is better.

Once you go linux you don't go back
>>
>>319445646
I've been to Linux and back twice and it really isn't
>>
>>319445528
Name a major game developer that is treating Linux as a first class citizen besides Valve.
>>
File: 135968221722.jpg (34 KB, 276x251) Image search: [Google]
135968221722.jpg
34 KB, 276x251
>>319445786
>>
>>319445792
CD Projekt Red

They made that game Witcher, you might have heard of it. Witcher 3 was on linux day 1

Basically, anyone who makes games for the actual PC audience. Your "major game developers" like skyrim and fallout4 shit only make games for casuals and consoletards, they are not smart enough to be into linux like actual PC devs
>>
>>319443816
Linux is the only other option for gaming seeing that you cant choose what hardware you use with OSX and almost all of their options are moving to integrated GPUs
>>
>>319446293
>Witcher 3 was on linux day 1

https://www.google.com/search?q=witcher%203%20linux

uhhh
>>
>>319445646
I did Linux and went back. I'd use it for a media box or any other situation where I'd otherwise have to pay for Windows, but I already have two Windows licenses and too many games that need Windows.
>>
>>319446293
There is no TW3 on Linux
>>
File: vulkan_slide01.jpg (78 KB, 730x450) Image search: [Google]
vulkan_slide01.jpg
78 KB, 730x450
>>319438464
>Windows is dieing
>Windows 10 - 30% Steam marketshare
>Linux - 0.94% after Steam Machines launch.
Lets be serious here, in no way this is true.

And where the hell is Vulkan? In march you fags said it will come out in may, in may you said it will come out in june, june turned Siggraph, Sigraph turned Steam Machines launch. It's still not there. Where is it?
>>
>>319446519

You are right, it wasn't there on day 1. Funny I remember GoG promoting that

anyway, it's coming

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-coming-steamos-preorders-live/
>>
>>319447070
> The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Coming to SteamOS – Will Run on OpenGL
> Posted 2 years ago by Fahad Arif
> The game will unlock once it launches on February 24, 2015.
>>
>>319447215
http://oi57.tinypic.com/dwalq9.jpg

posted here

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/34095684666654972/?tscn=1439395821#c530649887196871362
>>
>Linuxfags always trying to make their OS seem relevant
>Y-you are just too stupid to use linux! that's why you don't like it!
>>
>>319447565

Says the guy who is being spied on everything he does on his windows computer

yeah, we are real idiots
>>
>>319447517
Okay they might be working on TW3 for Linux, maybe.

But even if they released it tomorrow, an almost 7 month gap between Windows release and Linux release does not make Linux a first class citizen.
>>
You guys aren't really thinking about reality.
Most people are only going to use the OS that comes with their pre-built PC at Costco.
Most people don't even know what Linux is and a third of them that actually do just think its something for nerds.
You have to be completely disconnected with the world to think that the average user thinks about the NSA or any type of breaking news on security beyond using it as a talking point when they are bored.
Just look at educated users who still use windows 10 even knowing about backdoors and key loggers.
>>
>>319447517
>we are glad to announce The Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition with DX12 support. Along with this version we will launch a Linux version.
I see it. SO far away, yet so clear.
>>
>>319446817
Khronos dragged their feet again like they did with OpenGL 3/4 and now Vulkan is dead tech. It doesn't matter what they do at this point, DX12 has a foothold.
>>
File: 1447131908501.gif (2 MB, 297x330) Image search: [Google]
1447131908501.gif
2 MB, 297x330
OP, Linux would have to be EVERY BIT as easy to use as Windows AND perform just as well, if not better, with gaming post DX12 before I decide to try it.

If I have to learn even one bit of coding then Linux can fuck right off.
>>
Man OP I'm all for Linux gaming but just look at this thread. If you have to call the majority of the posters uneducated or retarded why would you think that PC is dying. This is the user base that you are saying are shifting to Linux. These aren't random people on the street. These are PC gamers or console gamers. This is your market. We might get games in the future along with PC releases but it will never shift beyond that.
>>
>>319444691
>snowden
already forgotten for the average retard and it is all about isis and france now there no time to think about such things

>linux
yup just change a icon on a windows desktop for person which is not much into computers and they will get a crisis.and now imagie to switch an entire desktop/os with it
>>319447625
there not even the capacity here to this but hey believe you own lies and your trusty media
>>319447961
let the toddlers dream man linux for life we a reel geeks!
>>
>>319448437

>go to ubuntu.com
>get your pendrive
>extract ubuntu to your pen drive
>try ubuntu booting from pendrive, without even installing it

there you go

or even better: http://tour.ubuntu.com/en/

try ubuntu simulator
>>
>>319448945
and do not forget the bizzare elitism from the linux community do not use ubuntu its bad I swear rather use X or even compile one from scratch which even better
on one side they want linux for everyone on the other they want to keep their secret little club
>>
>>319439173
Fuck off with this stupid OS elitism, you're probably some fag who barely uses any of the features linux has or knows any meaningful differences, while using the most obscure fucking distro you can.
Linux is pretty much only useful for developing software on, where it beats windows by a lot. But what reason is there to use it over windows for gaming? Just fucking dual boot like any non-sperg if you actually develop software.
>>
>>319449694
>what reason is there to use it over windows for gaming?

Privacy

Comfort of playing vidya without having to dual boot

Not having your piracy deleted

Linux gaming is the future unless you like: someone watching everything you do and recording it, having your piracy deleted, having to dual boot eveyr time you want to play vidiay
>>
i'm building a new computer. is linux easy to use? i'm thinking about getting it. i've always had windows 7
>>
>>319439173
>Half of the steam library has been ported to linux already.

> check top 25 selling games on steam
> only six are on linux
> of those six, only three were released this year

LINUX HAS SO MANY HIP AND RELEVANT GAMES YOU GUYS :6)
>>
Does Linux still fuck up on odd pc configurations? A lot of my pcs sitting in my basement have weird setups like amd/nvidia gpu combos.

Last time I booted Ubuntu on that machine, I could never get anything working. No one knew how to fix it, either. Went back to windows and it worked both gpus out of the box.
>>
>>319451123
Linux is far more superior to windows when it's about supporting odd configurations.
>>
Why use Ubuntu with even more propriety software?
>>
>>319450531
Try Ubuntu.
>>
File: 1443629741118.png (513 KB, 719x563) Image search: [Google]
1443629741118.png
513 KB, 719x563
>>319448337
>try to make new and efficient GL
>M$ dumps literal billions of dollars into new DirectX
>makes it unavailable on older windozez due to "technical limitations"
>people install straight into spyware just to get those few FPS
Errytime
>>
>>319451336
what's the difference? i thought they were the same thing
>>
>>319452045
>try to make new and efficient GL with opengl3
>get keked by CAD industry
>release half assed extension to opengl2 instead

every time khronos
>>
>>319452545
Ubuntu is free.
>>
File: image001.jpg (124 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
124 KB, 480x320
Don't touch GNU/Linux with your filthy proprietary games
Regards Freedom fighter from /g/.
>>
>>319449136
>hurr durr Windows 10 is a malware
>try Ubuntu
You guys are fucking sick. All of you.
>>
>>319452771
i see. thanks

>>319454150
wait, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>319454560
Canonical are fucking jews, they don't contribute to Linux development, MS contributes way more, I mean several times more. They just take existing software, bundle it up and then add some ad shit like built in Amazon search.

Get Mint or Fedora or something.
>>
>>319454825
they set up a working environment for everybody. That's a lot of work. Linux community always refused to do that kind of things.
>>
>>319455125
whatever you say.
just get Mint, op
>>
>>319454150
This. If you're using Ubuntu for privacy reasons you might as well stick to Windows
>>
Wh we can't have a non shitposting Linux game thread ?
>>
>>319450531
Try Linux Mint
It's closest to Windows 7 in terms of base UI

>>319451336
Sadly that is not the most optimal advice
At least not for the last 4 years, it was before
>>
>>319458059
For strange hardware Ubuntu is the best.
>>
>>319454560
Ubuntu is absurdly bloated and can get really slow on older machines. The best choice for beginners is by far elementaryOS since it has no compatibility issues and is way easier to use than macOS https://elementary.io/
>>
File: linus_torvalds_fighter_jet.jpg (515 KB, 2304x3449) Image search: [Google]
linus_torvalds_fighter_jet.jpg
515 KB, 2304x3449
>>319458042
Windowsfags refuse to see potential of mass Linux adoption, and then gladly point out it's current shortcomings
>but anon, if Linux was good, it would be adopted by most people
It already IS adopted by most non-retarded people.
Super-computers, robotics, real-time computing, infrastructure administration, all Linux.
You probably even have it as core of you mobile OS.
And it would be even more if you fucking normies wouldn't have to be spoonfed by Microsoft all the time.
If 10% of you fuckers got just a bit out of your comfort zone and not buy pre-installed Windows, world would be much better place.
But hey, noAAAgaems and no photoshopz means no interest.
>>
>>319459261
Call me when Linux gets visual studio.
>>
>>319459719
Linux has emacs.
>>
>>319444691
>clicking icons
>linux
lmao
>>
>>319450791
>has ~1% market share
>has 24% of top selling games
>has 25% of whole steam library
>all of this is somehow bad
How fucking blind are you?
Do you not see the fast-as-fuck growth of the platform?
Even the fact that we have Linux games thread on /v/ is good sign.

Steam Machines were brilliant idea to harvest this potential.
Too bad it was executed as shit and now we have 3 overpriced bricks instead of proper selection among machines from 150 EUR to 1500 EUR.
>>
>>319459719
Qt Creator. Has better intellisense too.
>>
>>319459719
>making my point even clearer
>using Microsoft's IDE
OK, I am legitimately interested, what are you using VS over other IDEs?
Vs is good for C++ and C#. What could you possibly be programming in those? Xbox games?
Sorry, my /g/ is showing.

Back to /v/:
How much games does Linux has to get to be worthy in /v/'s eyes?
It currently has 1700+ games.
That is more than both current gen consoles together.
>b-but it's all indieshit
Legit point, lot of it is not AAA.
However, can somebody draw a line for me: where does AAA end and indieshit begin?
Can you show me what % of Steam's Linux library is AAA and what is indieshit.
Can you do the same for consoles?
I'd really like to see what's the AAA:indieshit ratio on consoles.
>>
Do PS4 and Wii U use OpenGL, license DirectX or use their own apis?
>>
>>319461672
PS4 is surely OpenGL, Wii U uses proprietary API I think.
>>
>>319462593
I know that the PS4 OS is a *BSD.
>>
>>319456875

Stop spreading disinformation

All Linux distributions have the same amount of privacy due to being open source. Unless you can actually link spyware in the source code for us, that can't be disabled (ubuntu's "spyware" is disabled in fact with clicking a button in the system settings panel, the first thing everyone goes for when they boot a new OS)
>>
>>319463739
>the first thing everyone goes for when they boot a new OS
I'm quite sure normies first try to open anything that resembles internet browser and then login into facebook or whatever is the popular social network nowdays

Yes, you are right, that Amazon shit can technically be disabled.
However, when someone asks "how do I Linux", you don't expect him to be able to figure out how to disable Amazon telemetry shit.
That's why you recommend some other distro.
>>
>>319461612
Not him, but more than sheer number of AAA games, I would like to see the majority of major releases going forward to be available for Linux in some fashion.

I think Valve really dropped the ball there, not releasing any new games with the Steam Boxes, more so than the timing of releasing the Steam Boxes themselves. Nobody wants to buy a new box for old games, especially old games they already have.

Come to think of it, has Valve completely stopped producing games?
>>
>>319438464

Too bad Steam OS sucks compared to Win 10. Can't remember which site did it but they ran real world tests on both OSes. The same game at same settings on the same hardware will run anywhere from 10% to 65% worse on Steam OS. On other Linux distros it's 10% to 30% worse.
>>
>>319466137
Doesn't that just come down to optimizations in graphics card drivers? I don't believe there's anything fundamentally wrong with Linux as a gaming environment, just that Windows has had several years of complementary development in this area, and Linux just needs time (and driver support from nVidia and AMD) to catch up.
>>
>>319466137
It was iVerge.
And yes, drivers for newer graphics cards are not as good as on Windows.
Now, go kick Linus Torvalds in the balls, since it's obviously his fault, and don't try to think that it's AMD's and Nvidia's job to write drivers for their devices.
>>
File: 1431995052908.png (63 KB, 259x235) Image search: [Google]
1431995052908.png
63 KB, 259x235
>mfw linuxfags download linux just to emulate windows
>mfw linuxfags actually think that having a different OS will somehow prevent them from being spied on if someone wants to
>>
>>319448437
Every modern operating system is easy to use. But you aren't used to it so it's not worth it, that's why you'll stay on Windows 7 for as long as possible.
>>
>>319467289
I just like to support open source software whenever possible, especially if it's a viable alternative to closed sourced. If I really cared about not being spied on I would unplug my modem.
>>
>>319467964
*tips fedora*
>>
Windows
>Go to website
>Download exe
>Double click

Linux
>Go to website
>Find repo
>Sometimes there is no official repo, so google an unofficial one
>Open terminal
>Copy paste individual lines

Until developers can learn to just fucking distribute .deb packages linux can fuck off
>>
>>319468112
Doesn't using repos let you update all of your software all at once with the package manager, though?
>>
File: costanza.jpg (84 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
84 KB, 500x363
>>319438464
You're joking, right? Steam OS is literally irrelevant. Not even close to being competition to Windows.
>>
>>319460332
Linux gaming is more of a gimmick than VR
>>
>>319468469
Yeah but it's fucking annoying to set them up and a lot of programs just do different shit
Telegram doesn't have an installer at all, just a portable executable
Retroarch doesn't even list the linux download, you have to google it
Steam is a deb that requires to you use the terminal for some reason
Some programs only have source code
I just want a fucking install button that automatically adds the repo and installs the program and requirements in one click
>>
>>319460332
That is really bad. In what universe is this good?
>>
SteamOS seems nice but desktop linux is a shitty meme
I've tried all of the popular recommended distros and not a single one comes close to running as smoothly as Windows
>>
>>319462593
PS4 uses a custom super-low-level API called GNM. No console uses OpenGL, although I think the Wii Us custom API is similar to it.
>>
>>319469228
True, and as you said before, it's an issue for the developers, not necessarily Linux itself. Though many distros do try to solve this by maintaining their own repositories.

It will get better once the install base is there. I know you're probably tired of hearing that.
>>
File: past.jpg (89 KB, 600x735) Image search: [Google]
past.jpg
89 KB, 600x735
>>319468112
>>Go to website
>>Download exe
>installing shady .exe files
What about when you want your software to be updated, but program you just downloaded doesn't have option to update itself
>just got to website and download updated version
How fucking backwards are you?
At least there is Ninite to provide some form of installation/update repository for Windows.

>>Go to website
>>Find repo
shitniggerwhatareyoudoing.svg
>>Sometimes there is no official repo, so google an unofficial one
>95% of software you could possibly want isn't in your distro's repo
Are you using some distro from 1996?

>>Open terminal
>>Copy paste individual lines
>his distro can't import repos by double clicking on downloaded file
>>
>>319470165
Okay what are the commands to install telegram, retroarch, and dolphin emu on Ubuntu?
>>
>>319470110
But what's an OS without competent developers?
Windows Phone says hello
>>
>>319470165
Distro repos are great until you need a version that isn't six months old, or older still if the maintainer doesn't have his shit together.

Having to freeze every single piece of software for each distro release to keep things stable is dumb and stupid and I don't like it one bit.
>>
>>319469519
By "smoothly" do you mean in-game framerate or general UI responsiveness? Or perhaps something else?

Personally, I don't have many issues with UI at least, for what it's worth (using mostly Ubuntu variants).
>>
>>319470396
If Sturgeon's law is to be believed, attention from developers scales linearly with marked share. Which, incidentally, is a problem for both Linux and Windows Phone.
>>
>>319470731
>Install Ubuntu/Mint/Kubunt/Debian/Gento (Yes I have tried them all separately with clean installs each time)
>Laptop fan kicks up to 100%
>Gets so hot I can't even hold it
>Mind you, this is just running the desktop, no programs
>Battery lasts for 1 hour
>Wifi disconnects every minute
>Each time it disconnects, it pops up a password box over whatever I'm doing instead of just auto retrying
>Eventually it can't connect at all
>Cursor leaves trails on some distros, even if gpu drivers are installed
>Freezes randomly

>Install Windows 10
>It literally, not a meme, just works

And before you say my laptop is shit, I tried on my desktop too, same problems, ignoring heat and battery life.
The ethernet even manages to disconnect somehow
>>
>>319471370
Damn, I wish I could help you but I'm glad at least Windows works for you. I just have an old Laptop running Kubuntu so I can't exactly call myself knowledgeable, I just have my personal experience.

It's been smooth sailing except it doesn't seem to like the proprietary graphics drivers (which I needed to install Steam).
>>
>>319471370
Shit what?
Laptop model pls, want to check specs and try to find the reason this shit happened to you.
>>
>>319438676

this looks like bait
>>
>>319472720
HP Envy DV6
Don't have it on right now so can't say the exact specs but:
>i7, I think a 3000m series
>GT 630m
>6gb DDR3
>250gb 7500RPM HDD
Not amazing, but still plenty strong to run an OS
>>
>>319438676
Normies are going to jump ship to Mac OS if they are going to leave windows. But I do like your optimism even if it is misguided.
>>
>>319471370
>Install Ubuntu/Mint/Kubunt/Debian/Gento (Yes I have tried them all separately with clean installs each time)
>Laptop fan kicks up to 100%
>Gets so hot I can't even hold it
>Mind you, this is just running the desktop, no programs
>Battery lasts for 1 hour
>Wifi disconnects every minute
>Each time it disconnects, it pops up a password box over whatever I'm doing instead of just auto retrying
>Eventually it can't connect at all
>Cursor leaves trails on some distros, even if gpu drivers are installed
>Freezes randomly

Works fine on my machine
Only issue I have is my wireless N USB adapter isn't properly supported and I have to compile a driver to keep it from dropping connection. The internal wireless works fine but its just wireless G. https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes

Other than that its only minor annoyances like fingerprint reader features not integrated very well, no gui to fine tune trackpoint sensitivity/speed, and needing to add a line to /etc/rc.local for volume buttons to pop up the the OSD
>>
>>319470291
su -c "add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/telegram && add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable && ppa:dolphin-emu/ppa && apt-get update && apt-get install telegram dolphin-emu-master retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*"

Single line. Copypaste this in terminal, enter your root password and wait.
>hurr I can't install some obscure software with single click
Yes, I'm sorry that developers don't build and provide .deb files.
>>
>>319473632
You just said not to install software not in the distros repo
>>
>>319473632
O shit, forgot add-apt-repository at dolphin ppa
It's over, Linux is shit, Windows won, where can I sign up to suck Nutella's cock?

But yes, you are right, getting not-packaged software on Linux is not a single click.
I can't imagine what a horror it must be on Windows.
But developers of Linux software take freedom to not package software way too much.
>>
>>319438464
Of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
>>
>>319451123
Only if you don't know how to set it up.

>>319468112
>Arch
>pacman -S packagename

Done.
>Software isn't in the repository
>yaourt packagename

Done.

>Software isn't in AUR
Then it's likely not worth your time.

>>319473632
>Using debian based linux
kek
>>
>>319474571
>kek
I actually agree with you, there are better solutions if you are not relatively braindead

But hey, Valve used it as base for SteamOS, so if they don't completely forget about it and actually put some more development into it, there could be a bright future for all Debian-based distros.
>>
>FX8150 tends to run hot
>run only csgo on debian
>kinda low on fps desu senpai
>turn on music player
>overheat
>switch to windows
>20 chrome tabs + music + csgo running
>hasn't ran hot since

im sorry i wish i could linux
>>
>>319438464
>several big (older) titles and valve games
>hurr windows is dying
yeah, no

and i'm using linux on daily basis. Yes, it runs a lot of games, especially if you know how to properly debug wine problems - but it still doesn't pose any threat for windows gaymen monopoly.
>>
>>319444637

It's because DirectX is beast. OpenGL can't touch it.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.