[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's not a lake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
It's not a lake
>>
>Sequel never
>>
File: sam ocean.gif (3 MB, 420x238) Image search: [Google]
sam ocean.gif
3 MB, 420x238
>>
>>319390732
Thanks Quantum Break
>>
>>319390987
But Sam Lake said if you want AW2 Quantum Break needs to do well. His not his or QB's fault faggots didn't buy AW day one like me.
>>
What was the twist of this game?
>>
>>319391117
It was an Energizer commercial in disguise.
>>
>>319391117
The dark presence isn't bound to the town
>>
>>319391117
I guess that Wake needed to go into the cabin to save his wife, and that the whole story is him writing about the events after being trapped.

Don't remember if there was a huge twist though. I actually really enjoy Remedy's games, looking forward to Quantum Break, but I would much rather get Alan Wake 2.
>>
>>319390732
>>319391078
Why would you ever want a sequel?
Alan Wake was the definition of a meh game.
>>
Did American Nightmare expand on the story? Going through Alan Wake again slowly right now.
>>
>>319391310
I played both AW's this october
No clue wtf was going on in either
Nightmare seems stand-alone, not a direct sequel.

but seriously i dont get this shit.
>>
>>319391259
Beautiful graphics, solid gameplay, 10/10 game story that gripped me by the balls.
>>
>>319392539
But it had none of those. Honestly, you must just have pretty low standards, anon.
>>
>>319392617

This. The gameplay was unbearably repetitive 3rd person shooting which was completely disconnected from the tone of the game. The writing wasn't particularily good, and the story was just a random Stephen King novel. The graphics were generic "realistic", bland 7th gen stuff.
>>
>tfw the shadow people start saying retarded shit and it spoils your spoopiness.
>>
>>319391487
>Nightmare seems stand-alone, not a direct sequel.
It's supposed to be that way, but the story he starts to write at the end of the first game is the title of the story to American Nightmare: "Return."
>>
>>319393006
>nordic walking
>>
File: alice_wake.jpg (362 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
alice_wake.jpg
362 KB, 1280x720
>>319392539
>Beautiful graphics

Are you fucking high?
>>
A candy-colored clown they call the Sandman
>>
>>319390668
It's semen.
>>
I love the rock show
Shit was amazing
>>
>>319393363
The game is 5 and a half years old, it was fucking gorgeous around the 360 era
>>
>>319391487
did you play the dlc chapters?
>>
>>319392617
>>319392919
>these people exist
>>
File: 2013-02-19_00006.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-19_00006.jpg
263 KB, 1920x1200
Will Remedy ever regain the soul they sold to Microsoft?
>>
>It's not a lake
>It's an ocean
What the fuck was this actually supposed to mean?
How does it somehow set everything right in the AW universe?
>>
This game helped introduce to me to Poets of the Fall. And I thank it for that.
>>
>>319394710
>What the fuck was this actually supposed to mean?
are you serious, anon?
>>
>>319394802
No, I obviously just posted that for fun because I had nothing better to do.
>>
>>319394710
Reminded me of "My god, its full of stars".

I took it to mean that the darkness wasn't limited to Cauldron Lake. There's a whole ocean of it out there.
>>
>>319394858
I'm sorry then. But it's not that hard to figure out if you think about it.

Lake, ocean.
>>
its a shitpost
>>
>>319391117
Some indian burial ground shit and some writer from the past is trying to write some evil presence out of existence with Alan Wake as the protagonist.
>>
I remember /v/ going fucking nuts over this game when it went to PC.

It is an amazing game though. Solid gameplay with amazing narration. I get such a hard on for TPS done right.
>>
>>319395057
Is it though really? Is it?
>>
>>319395142
I remember fuss over zoom-ins in on textures
>>
>>319395142
It is a GOAT port.
>>
>>319395171
It is.
>>
>>319394858
>>319394710
well if you remember the game was based around the "force" or whatever it was residiing in cauldron lake wherein after alan is pulled in he reveals its not limited to that lake and the surrounding area but has a much larger pull on things thus saying "ocean" or the dark/w/e made him write that thus enabling it to encroach on more territory
>>
>>319395142
I liked it too but you have to admit it could use some more variation in gameplay.

>>319395242
Well it is a console port. Part of the issue I think is that the game was initially a PC game and was going to be much more ambitious only to go console exclusive and lose a bunch of features (both because of being made for consoles and for story reasons to be more focused) and then finally release on PC. Remedy are a great studio and it's sad to see them shackled to Microsoft's consoles.
>>
It's too bad that meme actor is in Quantum Break. All but guarantees fat retards will spoil the game 100 times before it's ported.
>>
>>319395646
>meme actor
>meme

Post discarded.
>>
>>319395646
It'll probably be a shit game anyway. I wonder if it's purely Remedy's creation because it seems fucking retarded. The TV tie in shit especially.
>>
Been a while since i played this
should i boot it up again?
how was American Nightmare?
Anything else happened with the title?
>>
>>319395646
Quantum Break makes me really glad that I own a bone

If it has the same attention to atmosphere and story as Alan Wake I'll be loving it.
>>
>>319395702
Besides the dlc, which a lot of people missed. No.
But yes, play it again, eat up that atmosphere in the cold weather
>>
File: 1334249903476.png (386 KB, 375x450) Image search: [Google]
1334249903476.png
386 KB, 375x450
>mfw hearing the wind pick up and the leaves rustling on your way to the radio tower as more Taken appear

The game had great sound design.
>>
Some of the environments in this game were pretty comfy
>>
>>319395702
American Nightmare is fun but it's essentially playing through the game like 4 times as repetition is part of the story of the game.
>>
>>319395782
The game freaks me the fuck out with how you constantly get swarmed and can't see shit. I breezed through it on the 360 but on PC I suck massive dicks at surviving.
>>
For a second I thought that was a screenshot from 40k regicide, the intro looks incredibly similar to that thumbnail.
https://youtu.be/WNPt_Ily_Lw?t=11
>>
>>319394009
tip-toes to my room everyniiite
>>
This game is what really got me into gaming back in 2010, it has its flaws, but it's still great
I'm not sure if the open world design which was originally planned would work
>>
>>319396116
The enemies were supposed to be the actual shadows and darkness too which I think would have been really cool if done well. Rather than the physical enemies just colored black like we got. It was also supposed to have environments kind of like Crysis where they could actually fall apart and they showed a tornado doing it in the initial demo. I'm not sure about the open world either but even if the story wasn't as focused I think the gameplay would have been much better.
>>
File: 1376624560430.gif (799 KB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1376624560430.gif
799 KB, 400x332
the story was interesting at the start
the combat just didnt got me playing it more

now its just there sitting on my backlog
>>
>>319395057
Wait. A writer from the past writes a story set in our time, with Alan as the protag, to destroy something evil in the author's time? Does he have a magic pen or something?
>>
>>319391259
>Be in a building
>Find a radio
>Turn it on
>Poets of the Fall - War playing
>Fucking shadow figure burst through the bookshelves, more rushes in view

Fuck you, Alan Wake had some intense moments
>>
>>319396514
He is magic, basically.
>>
Why did they have to telegraph the enemies so much?
They did an awesome job with the sound design and visuals, but you never felt threatened since when a taken spawned the camera went WHOOOOSH and zoomed into them and all tension was lost.
And even when that didnt happen they were loudly vocalizing where they would come from.
>>
>>319396514
>Does he have a magic pen or something?
That's pretty much what the whole game is about. How did you miss it?
>>
>>319396728
I stopped playing after a few hours.
>>
>>319396514
But also alan writes the writer in the past writing alan in the future.
It is a perfect paradox, with no end and no beginning.
>>
File: 2013-02-10_00007.jpg (380 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-10_00007.jpg
380 KB, 1920x1200
>>319396590
>>319396728
Was this magic writer thing ever said in the game? I don't think I played the DLC (I did play AN though) so if it was in there I would have missed it. I haven't played the game since it came out on PC though so I might be forgetting stuff.

And is Quantum Break on the same engine as AW? I really liked the feel of everything when playing the game. Funnily enough I think it's an upgraded version of the engine MP1 and 2 ran on and it does feel kind of similar with some things, like walking through doors.
>>
>>319396951
The Darkness has the reality warping powers, but it can't really use it on its own, it needs a writer guy to channel it.
The whole game is the story Alan writes about himself, trying to break free, while the Darkness is holding him hostage in the spooky house on the bottom of the lake.
Or something like that.
>>
>>319397182
You're right, that's the story.
It has a Twin Peaks-ish (which the game references a lot) feel to it and I think it's one of the strong points of the game.
>>
>>319390668
It's a shit game.
>>
OH, BOY, I SURE COULD USE ANOTHER PICKAXE IN THE BACK OF MY SKULL

GEE I WONDER IF THERE'S ANYTHING IN THIS WEIRD SIDE PATH OOPS NOPE BUT THERE'D BE A STORY PAGE IF I WAS PLAYING AT A DIFFICULTY I DIDN'T UNLOCK YET

REMEMBER TO USE ENERGIZER BATTERIES FOR ALL YOUR EMERGENCY LIGHTING NEEDS
>>
>>319391117
There isn't really a twist. There's some backstory you can learn about like the spooky darkness coming from a crater lake implying the darkness came from space but that's about it. Personally I wish they went more crazy with the lovecraft-unspeakable terrors bullshit instead of just shadow people but thats just me.
>>
>>319398889
>came from space
to rape the men and eat the women?
>>
>>319398889
Considering it was an xbox360 timed exclusive we should be grateful it wasn't afraid to ramp up the bodycount of innocent bystanders and didn't end up with some shitty "it was all a dream" or "now that you've defeated the darkness everyone is alright" endings.
>>
>>319399207
With the final boss being a fucking tornado I had to shoot to death, I'd actually wouldn't mind either of those endings, instead of an even more obscure meaningless ending to that pretence of a story this game had.
>>
>>319391220
This one got it right.

>>319391310
Slightly. Mostly on mr.scratch.

>>319398889

The vibe I got from A.N was that it was going to go full lovecratian on the sequel. Especially the part about mr.scratch being a sort of harbinger for the bigger bads withing the darkness.

I was fully expecting/hype to fight off ctulu monsters in the sequel.
>>
>>319392539
>10/10 game story that gripped me by the balls.
Yeah dude, so good.
>follow this carrot throughout this pointless scenarios to find out the truth that you already knew since you found the very first manuscript page
>>
File: 1448816338656.jpg (219 KB, 837x768) Image search: [Google]
1448816338656.jpg
219 KB, 837x768
>>319400394
First manuscript says he is attacked by a axe murderer in the woods at night.

At this point you knew that there was an all powerful eldritch horror trapped beneath a lake by a forgotten writer who had writen himself out of existence and had appointed you as the one meant to eliminate this eldritch horror.

Color me impressed.
>>
>>319401314
Most of those details are tacked-on stuff (in a DLC no less) to make the story sound more interesting.

When you find the first manuscript it's obvious that Alan is living the events of a story he wrote himself, so almost all of the mystery is gone and 90% of the game is rendered completely pointless because you know that pretty much everything you are doing is just for the purpose of wasting time until the game reveals the thing you already figured out.
The Evil Darkness isn't expanded upon beyond Evil Darkness. It's dark because it's evil, and it wants to do evil things because that's what evil darknesses do. It's as simple as Bowser trying to acquire the thingamajig of the day to become the king of everything, and at least he's a giant spiky leon-turtle.

If you write a generic story about a knight trying to save a princess you can have all the end-story revelations you want about the princess actually being an alien from space who time-traveled to avoid the sun being destroyed by the evil Dragon, who was actually a robot from the ancient civilization of Atlantis, but your main story is still boring and dull.
>>
>>319390732

There was an interview where Sam Lake was asked questions and had to give yes/no answers, and he answered "yes" to "Will we ever see Alan Wake 2 in our lifetimes?"
>>
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.