[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play all the Final Fantasy games, but I'm having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: ff1+2vs.png (236 KB, 944x235) Image search: [Google]
ff1+2vs.png
236 KB, 944x235
I want to play all the Final Fantasy games, but I'm having a hard time finding out which version of each game is the "best version".

Let's start with FFI+II. Which of these is the best?
>>
Skipping the first two would be the best.
>>
>>319389772
PSP has the definitive versions of both but skip 2, it's objectively bad in any incarnation and the only bad game in the franchise.

>inb4 anti 8/13 sheeple parrots
>>
>>319390161
>PSP has the definitive versions of both

This is the kind of information I'm looking for. What makes the PSP versions the best?
>>
>>319391176
It has the features of the others but with better graphics and some extra bosses I believe
>>
Start with 3 on PSP
>>
>>319391176
It has a lot of extra content. The only thing that could be considered a downside is that the main game is easier compared to the NES/PS1 versions. You aren't missing out on anything but a grindfest though.
>>
>>319390161
As much as I shit on 8, it was quite innovative for its time. I just wish Square spent more time tweaking the junction system and less on the annoying as fuck story and characters.
>>
>>319391176
Best visuals, best soundtrack/audio quality, has all the extra content frmo GBA.

For 3 you want the DS/PSP/PC version (it's the same one, DS is original, PSP and PC are ports). I recommend PSP since it has auto battle funcionality (repeat last input commands and increase battle speed), while PC version doesn't.

For 4 you have two options and neither are objectively better.
PSP Complete Collection which has FF4 and the sequel The After Years, but it's also based on the older, worse GBA version of FF4 which has worse translation, uses the old american EasyType codebase and has non-canon extra dungeons that rape the lore, but has just as good nice 2D visuals as FF1 and 2 on PSP.
The other alternative is the PC ports of FF4 and The After Years which are based on the DS versions, they are in full 3D, FF4 in this one has voice acting, the translation is MUCH better, gameplay has been extensively improved and reworked, game was completely rebalanced and it's overall better gameplay-wise, but the low poly 3D is not for everyone.
So basically pick PSP if you want 2D but worse translation and gameplay or PC if you want low poly 3D and better translation and gameplay.
For 5 and 6 you want GBA versions, but you will need to grab music restoration patch for both. MAKE SURE TO GRAB THE EU ROMS, THEY HAVE MAJOR BUGFIXES COMPARED TO US ROMS OF FF5 AND FF6 ADVANCE.
For FF6 in addition to the music restoration patch you might also want the color patch (restores SNES colors) and uncensor patch for the Celes torture scene.
All of those are on Romhacking.net for both FF5 Advance and FF6 Advance. Just search the Rom Hacks section and pick FF5A/FF6A from the drop down list to see the patches.
For FF7 the PC version is the best and you will definitely want the fan re-translation as the official translation is censored and is very poorly done with major grammar mistakes. Just google FF7 Reunion Retranslation.
For FF8 you're fine with PSX or PC versions, they're identical.
>>
>>319391747
My first attempt at getting into FF series was VII for PC. I was and am mostly a PC gamer, and back then I think it was my first JRPG ever. And I really couldn't get into it, no thanks to PS1 graphics.
So some time later, better prepared, I emulated IX by my friend's recommendation. And I loved it.
Then I decided to try VIII, and it was okay, more or less, until I've got into combat. Having played as a thief in IX I immediately recognized Draw for what it is - basically stealing magic from enemies. In every fucking random encounter.
Dropped VIII then and never looked back.
>>
>>319391902
For FF9 you are stuck with PSX.
For FF10 and FF10-2 you've got the HD Collection on PS3 and PS4, but I recommend PS4 one since it has antialiasing and option to choose original soundtrack which I personally prefer and many fans agree on that. Both of them are at native 1080p however and locked at 30 FPS, the only difference between PS3 and PS4 versions is that PS4 one has antialiasing and option to choose the old soundtrack.

FF11 is a MMO, same with FF14 btw.

For FF12 you want the PS2 INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM version, there's a fantranslated version of that available online, should be easy to find.

For FF13 Trilogy, you've got all 3 on PC, 3rd one coming out in 3 days.
>>
>>319392015
You should give FF7 another chance, this time use graphics mods if it helps. Also yeah the junction system was innovative but really poorly implemented - you have to either tediously draw magic from enemies or play some annoying minigame.
>>
>>319392215
I failed to mention that after trying VIII I actually returned to VII and completed it.
>>
>>319389772
FF1 and 2 - PSP
FF3 - either fan translated NES for 2D, or Steam/PSP for the 3D remake.
FF4 - PSP collection for 2D, Steam for 3D
FF5 and 6 - GBA with fan patches to fix sound (unless you like the artstyle of the iOS/Steam releases, but they look abysmal to me)
FF7 and 8 - Steam
FF9 - PSN
FF10 - PS3/4
FF11 - PC, and slowly ending.
FF12 - PS2 fan translated Zodiac edition
FF13 trilogy - Steam

Not going to explain why. The FF Wikia compares all the releases so that's the best place to research it all.
>>
>>319392296
What did you think of it?
>>
>>319392093
And honorable mention are the FF Tactics games.
The best one is the PSP version of original FF Tactics, known as War of the Lions, you will need to google the slowdown patch for it though as the PSP port suffers from hardcoded slowdowns during spells to make them look "more epic" but really it just looks as if the framerate was shitting itself (even though it's not since the slowdown is intentional).
Then you've got FF Tactics Advance, a spiritual sequel, on GBA. And a sequel to that on DS called FF Tactics A2.

That's all the "important" FF games.
Then for spinoffs you've got Dissidia 012 and Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core on PSP, both amazing.
Final Fantasy 7 Dirge of Cerberus on PS2, a third person shooter spinoff sequel.
Vagrant Story, a dungeon crawler set in the same universe as FF Tactics and FF12.
>>
>>319392310
>Not going to explain why. The FF Wikia compares all the releases so that's the best place to research it all.
Some autistic anon already did it for you lel
>>
>>319392336
It's good. Not as good as IX, but good.
>>
>>319391902
>>319392093
>>319392362
This is great shit, thanks a lot. I've been searching for someone who knows all the major port differences and essential hacks for every game.
>>
>>319392460
You can also replace FF5 and 6 GBA with the iOS/Android/PC remakes but mind you that the art style of those releases is HIGHLY subjective and you will find very polarizing opinions on them.
Personally I think the backgrounds, overworld and enemy sprites are very well done, but the character sprites and some location/dungeon tilesets leave a lot to be desired. FF6 PC port of the iOS/Android release isn't out yet but is confirm to come to PC early 2016, FF5 one is available now.
If you don't mind the art style and don't want the hassle of patching the GBA versions then you might as well go for these.
>>
>>319392454
Personally I liked 9's characters but the gameplay felt much worse than 7's.
>>
>>319392757
Honestly, I personally don't think FF gameplay has changed a bit from the introduction of ATB system up until X, if you ask me.
Unless you mean the skill system. Which is, well, different in every game. I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other.
>>
>>319392679
For FFI+II, what about the GBA version? I already own that though I never ended up playing it in any major capacity. Are the PSP versions simply better graphics with no changes to translation/content?
>>
>>319392362
Also to add to this, while not exactly spinoffs, there's some more games that are very similar and made by mostly the same people.
Chrono Trigger and the sequel Chrono Cross, for CT you want the superior DS version with new translation, improved audio quality and integrated anime FMVs. CC is only available on PSX so pirate/emulate/whatever.
Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light for DS, a nostalgic love letter to mechanics of original NES FF1 but with beautiful 3D low poly visuals and brand new world/story/characters.
Bravely Default and the sequel Bravely Second on 3DS, literally Final Fantasy in everything but name, spiritual successors to Four Heroes of Light. Bravely Second is a direct sequel to Bravely Default.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on SNES, a simplified spinoff made for American audience in the 90s at the time but not too long and fairly enjoyable.
Final Fantasy Type-0, made by developers of Dissidia and Crisis Core, a severely underrated gem but not without flaws. Heavily expanded version of combat system from Crisis Core now with party members.
I recommend grabbing the fantranslated PSP version (make sure to look for v2 of the fantranslation which has numerous fixes) as the PC/PS4 HD port version has censorship and very inconsistent visuals.
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call, an adorable music rhythm game for the 3DS.
Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings, a direct sequel to FF12 but for DS. Mix of RPG with RTS.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on GameCube, a multiplayer co-op focused dungeon crawler with real time combat but can be played solo as well, best experienced in co-op though.
And that's pretty much all the important games.
Everything else is either irrelevant, shit or simply not worth talking about.

>>319393547
PSP have better visuals and music, new content (extra dungeons not found in GBA version of FF1) and I think also some minor updates to translation and mechnics.
>>
>>319393125
I was mostly referring to it being slow as fuck and trance mode being a worse version of limit break.
>>
>>319393647
>Chrono Trigger

You might as well recommend the entire Dragon Quest series while you're at it.
>>
>>319393787
Chrono Trigger started as an early engine prototype for Final Fantasy 7 you know before they dropped the idea and decided to make it 3D.
>>
>>319393710
You mean the camera flyby in every random encounter? I fixed this by the magic of emulation, so it wasn't an issue for me.
As for Trance, honestly, I don't get why people complain about it so much. It just doesn't carry over between battles, so you can't abuse it as easily as in VII. You aren't meant to rely on it, it's just a pleasant short-time boost when it happens.
>>
>>319389772
If you're new to the series starting at the beginning isn't the best choice.
I'll rank them in order in which will be most accessible to a first time player referring to 1-X
X a good start, easy to grasp story with good characters- new HD edition
IX same as above- PSN version
VII or VI both good games can play on PSN, steam or IOS
VIII
IV
V
I
II
III
>>
>>319393787
The difference is that CT is made by FF devs, DQ is a competitor series made by Enix. Just because Square and Enix are one company now doesn't mean they always were.
>>
>>319389772
Psp. Fuck the others saying it's bad, FF 2 is in my top 3 favorite ff. The weakest ones would be vi or xii in my opinion.
>>
>>319394081
VII is more beginner friendly than IX, which is an homage to the SNES days of FF.
>>
>>319389772

Don't listen to >>319390161 or anyone else that tells you that any version past the PSX one is definitive for FFI

Every version after that one drastically changes the MP system to be more in line with the rest of the series and fails to rebalance around that. If you play any version made after the PSX one you are missing out of one of the main things that sets FFI apart from the rest of the series.
>>
>>319394081

This is a terrible idea
You should never, EVER play FFV before FFIII if you ever want a prayer of enjoying FFIII

Play them in order and watch the series grow
>>
>>319395149
IX has fixed jobs, no materia system, and skills are simply learned from using the appropriate equipment.
It's also a classic fantasy setting, as you said.
How is that less beginner friendly than VII? Unless you started with VII, it's actually universally seen as outlying title, compared to the rest of the series. That's probably the reason why it's got so popular, because it stands out so much.
>>
>>319391902
Doesn't the PSP version use the MP system of later final fantasys'?
>>
>>319395698
As does the PSX version and any version that isn't original NES.
>>
>>319396025

Incorrect, the PSX and Wonderswan use the same Spells-per-day system as the NES version

Don't tell lies on the internet, anon
>>
File: FFI_PSX_Menu.png (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FFI_PSX_Menu.png
63 KB, 640x480
>>319396025
>>319396130

See the PSX version's menu. Look at the MP.
>>
>>319396130
You are the one telling lies you fucking lying piece of shit dogshit ebola ridden assfaggot mongrel.
And unlike you, I've got evidence to back up my claims.
https://youtu.be/ozxWJQ0Zfqc?t=10m21s

Eat shit.
>>
>>319389772
Play Origins. If you're too accustomed to modern FF, just play the PSP versions.
>>
>>319396130
>Spells-per-day system
>borrowing literally the worst feature from D&D for your games
Good job, Japan.
>>
File: facepalmalice.jpg (32 KB, 273x216) Image search: [Google]
facepalmalice.jpg
32 KB, 273x216
>>319396279

Did you even fucking look at the video before posting it? The footage you posted has spells-per-day.

Are you attempting to troll me?

As does the evidence I posted before you made that post
>>
So the consensus for the first Final Fantasy is play one of the remakes and don't play the original?

=(
>>
File: It's Right There You You.png (298 KB, 749x1077) Image search: [Google]
It's Right There You You.png
298 KB, 749x1077
>>319396216
>>319396279

Like goddamn, check your own evidence, you double nigger
>>
I think I'm just going to emulate the Playstation release.
>>
>>319396508

Yes. Nothing particularly wrong with the original, but it features some stuff that doesn't sit well with most players. Pirmarily, if you have two heroes target and enemy and it dies to the first heroes attack, the second hero will swing at the empty air instead of targeting a new enemy. The remakes also feature bonus dungeons and obviously superior graphics.

But if you want to play the first FFI, I won't stop you, it's fine. I do recommend remakes for the second one however (probably PSP, didn't fuck anything up like with FFI), as the rebalancing makes an iffy game into a good one.
>>
How important is the squad you put together at the beginning? Any recommendations, tips or considerations I should know?

How do you guys feel about using multiple characters of the same class?
>>
>>319396508
There's a lot of NES games that are still amazing and worth returning to despite successors. It's still one of my favorite consoles.

Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3 absolutely aren't examples of that. Final Fantasy 1: Dawn of Souls is the same thing with bug fixes, FF3 on DS improves the job system substantially and FF2's original release is outright broken.
>>
>>319392093
How are the Vita versions of X and X-2 soundtrack-wise?
>>
>>319396814

Four Fighters or four Red Mages are more or less unstoppable if well equipped, multiples of the same class are very strong, but I don't think you get the whole experience. I'd make sure you can use both black and white magic through the game so you're not missing out on stuff. If you're not playing the original NES version, Black Belt eventually has the highest single-target DPS with bare hands, black mages are for crowd control, white mages are for healing and turning undead, fighters are tanks, thieves... uh... run away good I guess? And Red Mages kind of do everything but not as well as anyone else.

You generally want at least one fighter taking hits at the front. In the first game, once you choose your party you are stuck with it for good, though they do upgrade their classes later.
>>
>>319396841
>Final Fantasy 1: Dawn of Souls is the same thing with bug fixes

No because MP
>>
>>319392310
You're seriously recommending the PC version of VII? Or did they fix the soundtrack for the Steam release?
>>
>>319394057
The camera flyby isn't even its biggest flaw. There's this serious delay between when you input a command and when the characters actually act on it. This is most notably an issue when fighting enemies casting heat on you. You've just gotta sit back and watch as the command you entered 20 seconds ago finally happens and then they die because you had no way of dispelling the damn effect. It also makes trance even worse to deal with.
>>
>>319397142
They officially patched in the PSX soundtrack on Steam.
>>
>>319397061
2 monks/bm/wm
bals to the wall
3 monks/wm
4 wm

These are the only acceptable parties. red mage is shit
>>
>>319394081
>X a good start, easy to grasp story with good characters- new HD edition
>good characters
One of X's biggest problems is that almost every character leaves a really terrible first impression. On later playthroughs people see it for what it is, but for someone's first game they're gonna sit and complain about Tidus being a whiny baby the entire time.
>>
>>319397337
So playing without a white mage is a bad idea?
>>
>>319396814
Difficulty is determined by the lack of fighters/black belts in your party. Never pick thief, his only skill is that you can flee battles easier.
>>
>>319397613

It helps a lot in boss battles and dungeons

Later on you'll get a helmet(?) that heals you for free but it doesn't have the more powerful heals.
>>
>>319397613
Yes, the best party composition is probably either Fighter/Monk/Black Mage/White Mage or Monk/Monk/Black Mage/White Mage.

I prefer three Monks one White Mage, but keep in mind that a large percentage of treasure you find is Fighter equipment.
>>
>>319397254
Oh, neat. Thanks anon.
>>
File: Nintendo_Power_Chapter_8.jpg (214 KB, 1000x961) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_Power_Chapter_8.jpg
214 KB, 1000x961
>>319397613
Of course. Who else are you going to give masamune to?
>>
>>319396707

This is probably the best way to go
>>
I think I might go with Fighter, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage even though people seem to hate on the Thief
>>
>>319397882
There's a reason people hate the Thief. Don't pick him.
>>
>>319397882
Do what you want but the Thief is seriously the worst character in the game by a mile. He's totally awful.
>>
>>319397882

Thief is objectively bad, only use him if you're going for a challenge run or if you just really really like thieves
>>
File: image.gif (458 KB, 314x314) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
458 KB, 314x314
>>319391902
>>319392093
>>319392362
>>319393647
>>
>>319393647

This is an almost complete list but I feel that you are remiss in not mentioning Echoes of Time and Bahamut Lagoon
>>
>>319393647
>the PC/PS4 HD port version has censorship

I didn't hear about this, this was one of the reasons I was going to buy a PS4. What got censored?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.