[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The lore in Souls games is interesting, but the storytelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: BloodborneCover.jpg (351 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BloodborneCover.jpg
351 KB, 1920x1080
I'm playing through Bloodborne at the moment, and the complete lack of story or explanation is lame as hell. Story is given in post it note size snippets, and most characters speak in cryptic metaphors. I felt the same way after I finished Dark Souls.

I'm curious why Souls games get a pass for this? I know people say, "Nah bro, you gotta piece together the story from everything, it's not in your face." But to me its such a lazy way of storytelling. Also, NO ONE plays through these games once and comprehends the story fully. The majority of people understand everything using the Wiki or watching VaatiVidya videos.

Again, I think the lore and overall story of these games it great, but they way its told (or lack thereof), is really lame to me.

BB and DS remind me of games like MGSV and Xenoblade Chronicles X, hours of great gameplay with not much story in between. People complained about those games, but for some reason Souls games get a pass for this. In every Souls game I've spent hours and hours of fighting enemies, wondering when I'd get some more story, and when it comes it's dissapointing.

ANYWAY, back to chasing Micolash around this castle while he yells nonsense at me.
>>
They wanted to make a game purely about gameplay. The lore is more of a flavor thing. These games arent about storytelling. I dont see how you can get to Micolash and not understand that.
>>
It's because the story isn't actually all that much there. It's mostly just stuff you can infer.

>BB and DS remind me of games like MGSV and Xenoblade Chronicles X, hours of great gameplay with not much story in between.

Except MGSV and XCX had clear, definitive stories you followed.
>>
it's not for everybody, but the way they do it is pretty well executed imo, i wouldn't call it lazy as much as an optional aspect of the game that people can explore if they're really interested
>>
OP is a fag, want cutscenes too?
>>
Yeah. Fortunately my standards are low enough that I don't get disappointed. Played enough vidya to expect a good story (not even great) to be a rarity.
>>
muh story
>>
>>319385965
this, they designed it so that it's enjoyable even if you just want to go around killing huge monsters without having exposition break the flow
>>
nice neogaf copy&paste
>>
Yes, you now realized something all souls fans eventually come across
It doesn't help that Miyazaki is a die-hard fan of senseless references to his own shit if the sake of it or that he tends to not think things through and just throws them in because they sound or look cool

Just play with the idea that not EVERYTHING is supposed to make sense
>>
File: dark-souls-topo-cavaleiro.jpg (42 KB, 640x297) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-topo-cavaleiro.jpg
42 KB, 640x297
I've just started pic related and played for about 4 hours in total, I've rung the first bell and now I'm at the depths and I don't get this shit, how exactly is this game hard? Sure it doesn't hold your hand and you mostly die just because you don't know what to expect... I've died less than 20 times and most enemies are piss easy, the only issues are when you don't exactly know how to approach boss fights but other than that it's pretty much a cake walk, also right after I started exploring the depths I decided to turn human to see what the PvP is all about and some fag named "Dark Knight King Kirk" invaded my game, he was glowing all red and shit and had all this cool gear and I felt intimidated up until the point I smacked him with my upgraded halberd and it took like 4 hits to take him out. Why do people keep saying this game is hard?
>>
>>319385680
>I'm curious why Souls games get a pass for this?
Because people don't care about the narrative as much as they do the atmosphere or the setting.
>>
>>319385680
GIVE US EYYEEEEEES

To me it feels like you're getting the same amount of information as the character you're playing as would get, in real time as they get it. Immersive as fuck.
>>
File: 1448806319257.png (814 KB, 604x717) Image search: [Google]
1448806319257.png
814 KB, 604x717
>>319387021
>4 hours
>"I've died less than 20 times" written as an achievement

So you've died like 15 times in 4 hours? You fucking suck dude.
>>
>>319387021
New Game Plus onwards. You're still in the tutorial.
>>
Woah are we on Neogaf
>>
>>319385680
nice neoFAG thread you fuck

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152773
>>
>>319385680
It was definitely a mistake to put the story on post-it-notes
The game at last should have let your character hold onto them, so you could refer to them later.

You have to admit that they game does a pretty phenomenal job of telling a story through setting though.
>playing through blind
>that first time walking up to Vicar Amelia and seeing statues of Aliums
>the townsfolk going insane over the course of the night
>finally getting up to the Choir and piecing the whole story together

The story is more about people working together and sharing their ideas
>>
I never really had trouble grasping the happenings of the game. Like >>319387205 said, the game addresses you are the character, not as the player behind the screen. Whatever you are presented to, is the same the character is presented to. It does make sense, because in most of these games, it's way past the happening and you are crawling through the mess.
>>
>>319385680
>People complained about those games, but for some reason Souls games get a pass for this
hey retard, you're complaining about it right now

Just assume that everybody complains about everything.
>>
It's intentional, the legend goes as he was growing up he read all these english fantasy novels but didn't understand half the words, so he had to make shit up as he went.

There is lots of lore and mystery buried deep within all the souls franchise, you have to read the items and be very observant to get it though.

Check out Vaatividya on youtube, his theory videos are fucking cash
>>
>>319387504
>The Byrgenwerth Spider hides all manners of rituals, and keeps our master away from us.
What the fuck does that mean?
>It means exactly as it is written
>>
It's like the logs from Metroid Prime, except instead of logs, its all of the items you pick up. Every single one.
>>
the story is you're a little dude and you kill giant dudes that have big lifebars. it's a pretty sweet story about trying again and again until you succeed.
super mario is a story about a princess and turtles or some shit and you jump lots.

lower your standards faggot

OR, alternatively, buy into all the lore and fan explanations which can be fun.
>>
DS's story was pretty simple idk why people like to bitch about it,
>>
>>319387021
It's not, people honestly can';t play games now.
Also that wasn't a person so I think you got lucky
>>
>>319387557
Yes exactly, in all of the souls games you're entering the area years if not decades after whatever happened there happened, just sifting through the ruins of the place. So you understand as much as you can figure out yourself going through the mess of it all.
>>
>>319387967
The difference is Metroid also has a deep, complex, intriguing narrative you follow throughout the game that leaves you think many many many weeks after playing it.
>>
>>319388328
so did Bloodbran

I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it
>>
>>319388483
No it doesnt faggot neither do.

Super Metroid has even less dialog and is an even better game. OP is just a faggot but so are most of you.
>>
>>319388629
i had no motivation to finished those game due to story desu dont even remember them i just shot stuff and solved puzzles
>>
>>319388629
do you feel invalidated when people enjoy games that you personally do not?
>>
>>319388839
Which game do you think I do not like? Bloodborne?
>>
>>319388328
Well, if you piece even the basic shit together then yes there is a lot of shit to takeaway. Like the classic trope of "wow this idiot pushed his curiosity too far", and "perhaps this is inherent in man" and other basic shit that's cool to have in games since story telling in this medium is so fucking awful
>>
>>319388917
does it matter? You're upset with me, and I'm not sure why.
>>
>Get the bad ending first
So it was all a dream? Fuck.
>Learn more about nightmares and read up a bit about Lovecraft's take on dreams.
>Realize nightmares are actual places
>So the game was indeed a dream
>A very real dream
>Every time you die, you "wake up" to the Hunter's Dream (another dream) and you "forget" things (echoes=memories from blood), so you go back to the dream to recover those memories (all echoes in a bloodstain)
This is some inception shit going on.
>>
>>319389187
not that guy, but this is looking like too genuine a discussion on /v, and that has to stop
>>
Still better than das2 storytelling. B-team literally didn't make a story and just gave cryptic hints about made up nothing.
>>
>>319389289
I feel the ending you chose is like the best for the character you play, but that character, with that ending, barely cracked the surface.

and also, those nightmares aren't "dreams" in our definition, but actual places that exist. what makes them so compelling in bloodborne is that consciousness makes them, and some even get sent and remain there.
>>
>>319389289
This, Souls lore exists for 2 reasons

>give a lore reason behind the player having infinite lives
>give a lore reason for multiple players taking the same journey, and repeating it with NG+
>>
>>319389476

The way I deciphered dying and coming back in BB is the Hunter's Contract you sign, which is this point too

>>319389451

So if you get slaughtered in the waking world, your consciousness and body get sent back to the waking world out of the dream.
>>
File: ds_story.jpg (120 KB, 717x708) Image search: [Google]
ds_story.jpg
120 KB, 717x708
he's right
>>
>>319389476
>>319389669
Yes, the contract is the reason you don't die. All other hunters that get permadeath "don't dream", as the have ended the contract.
>>
>>319385680
Yeah they really should of just had cutscenes and made it easier to understand for all of us that have lifes.
>>
>>319389838
Hard to agree with someone who writes like a rambling idiot.
>>
>>319387306
>going to NG+
nah

only exception is DaS2 since it added shit to NG+/
>>
>>319390343
Get good
>>
>>319390118
*lives

If you're going to act superior, at least spell right, jackass
>>
>>319386098
But BB does have cutscenes
>>
>>319390417
u wot

by the time you enter NG+ in DaS/BB you're usually (or should be) decked out in full +10 shit and have a complete stat build which means you absolutely destroy shit even in the first NG+

>yea but NG++
for what purpose
>>
>>319390597
There is literally no reason to do NG+ in bloodborne. Unless you beat the game and use it to finish a build, but that's about it.
>>
>>319390597
Soulsfags will make any excuse for this.
>>
File: girls-getty_1376498i.jpg (44 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
girls-getty_1376498i.jpg
44 KB, 446x400
>>319388934
>"perhaps this is inherent in man"
I'm sure you think deep thoughts like this all the time.
>>
>>319391460
not all the time, actually, but a few basic themes like that are always a pleasure to see especially in video games, since most gamers being culturally inept in almost every fashion. this board is all the proof i need.
>>
>>319385680
Because it's a fucking video game.
>>
>>319385680
>MUH STORY
LOL YOU FAG IT'S A VIDEO GAME
>>
>>319391213
new enemies and gear in NG+ was one thing that DS2 did right
>>
Because BB story is actually terrible and it doesn't help that the characters are bland a fuck, DS1 had the best story by far
>>
I thought DaS's story was more compelling. Going in blind, the inconsistent narratives from Frampt and Kaathe were really cool (despite the fact that I didn't find Kaathe until like NG++)

BB's seemed a bit more straightforward in that sense
Just elder gods doing elder god shit
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.