[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you don't think video games are all about immersion at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
If you don't think video games are all about immersion at the end of the day, you just don't get it.

Immersion is everything in games. A game's ability to suspend your disbelief of it, to connect you with the game world, to put you in the shoes of your character — this is what all games, or at least all the serious games, throughout the decades have striven for. Even on the NES! Even older than that!

This is why a game like Witcher 3 is loved and so much better than its predecessors. It does way better at putting you in the shoes of Geralt and connecting you to the game world than the others, due to its open world aspect, improved dialog options, and actually good graphics this time around. And everyone who disagrees... simply doesn't get it. You're lost in the sauce of mechanics and game rules or graphics and audio engineering and other small things that only make up a small facet of gaming, and which actually all lend themselves towards the greater purpose, which is immersion.
>>
The combat is shit so I can't enjoy myself
>>
File: Witcher 3s flaws.png (125 KB, 1623x509) Image search: [Google]
Witcher 3s flaws.png
125 KB, 1623x509
>>319353440

The game is mediocre, quit shilling
>>
>>319353731
Nah, I only used Witcher 3 as an example because I've been playing it lately and realize that it was a jump forward from 2 for all the right reasons. But there are tons of other examples.
>>
I don't think immersion means what you think it means.
>>
>>319353597
>witcher 3's combat is shit
I truly don't get this.
It's not fantastic but it certainly isn't shit.
>>
>>319353731

What he posts as something to hate, I enjoy.
>>
>>319353440
no

video games are about gameplay

immersion isn't worth shit

it's for casual-tier gamers who think they're hot shit and need to justify why they're wowed by the AAA crap of today
>>
>>319354037
>A game's ability to suspend your disbelief of it, to connect you with the game world, to put you in the shoes of your character
Please explain how in the context of video games this is not exactly what immersion means and has always meant.
>>
>>319353440
yes I know icycalm
but what games aren't "serious games"?
>>
>>319354186
I could barely tell when I was hitting enemies and when enemies were hitting me. The combat animations were lackluster.
>>
>>319354282
"Gameplay" i.e. all of the mechanics and game rules exist to serve the true purpose which is immersion. This has always been the case. Sorry, but somewhere along the way you got confused and made an error in judgment. You picked up a telescope, looked up at the sky through it, and took what you saw to be the whole sky.
>>
>>319354606
>You picked up a telescope, looked up at the sky through it, and took what you saw to be the whole sky.
criiiiiiiinge
you sound like a fedoralord philosopher
>>
File: hep.webm (176 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
hep.webm
176 KB, 854x480
>>319354606
>You picked up a telescope, looked up at the sky through it, and took what you saw to be the whole sky.
>>
>>319353440
Video games aren't about immersion, or gameplay, or graphics, or art, or music.
They're about whatever the developer wants them to be about. This isn't really that hard to understand and I don't understand why people on here seem to not understand this.
>>
>>319354771
>>319355082
It's from the Cheng-tao-ko, faggots. Old Chinese poem. And it's accurate.
>>
>>319354325
I don't feel like immersion and suspension of disbelief are the same thing. Immersion is actually believing what's going on is real. Suspension of disbelief is exactly that, not believing but being OK with that. Suspension of disbelief is more important because it allows a wider range of events. The more you can get away with, the better.
>>
>>319353731
stopped reading by the third greentext desu senpai

that screencap doesn't prove shit
>>
>>319354606
>"Gameplay" i.e. all of the mechanics and game rules exist to serve the true purpose which is immersion.
no

games have always existed

chess is not "immersive"

video games exist to make possible games in a form which could not exist prior ie: ones requiring complex calculations or real-time games with actions available not possible in reality

your "immersion" disgusts me
>>
>>319355465
They understand it they just don't care.
>>
>>319356537

>stopped reading by the third sentence
>"I DISAGREE WITH IT ALL"
>>
>>319355465
The problem is that some developers want video games to be about things that are OBJECTIVELY WRONG.

I should really start posting my contact info on industry sites so that developers can ask me about the correct way to make games.
>>
>>319353440
Just throwing this out there since its technically a Witcher thread, I just bought the retail Hearts of Stone dlc that comes with the gwent decks, and the download code for the dlc expires in October of 2077. Thought that was a cool nod from the devs to Fallout.
>>
>>319357813
>chess is not "immersive"

>>319356276 here. That's what I believe the difference between immersion and suspension of disbelief is. Yeah, you may not be able to visualize a battlefield with soldiers and bishops and knights on it, but you can look at a pawn, understand that it can move either 1 or 2 spaces on its first move, and not initially think 'That's bullshit'. That's suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: fightan.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
fightan.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>319354602
>the combat animations were lackluster

lol
>>
>>319356276
>believing what's going on is real

Sounds like autism.
>>
>>319356276
>I don't feel like immersion and suspension of disbelief are the same thing
We're on the same page then, since I didn't say immersion = suspension of disbelief. It contains that, but there's more to it.

VR is a dream the world is still aiming for because of a desire for immersion, not suspension of disbelief, by the way.
>>
>>319353440

amerifat detected
>>
>>319353440

Immersion is a meme attribute. There is no such thing. Some people find graphics or world building to be immersive, but there is no inherent metric of immersion. Your ability to imagine is yours exclusively.
>>
>>319354186
soulsbabies can't handle encounters where they need to fight more than one enemy at a time
this guy died to wolves

wolves aren't "bosses" so he lost because the combat is shit, not because of a lack of skill
because he can beat all the bosses in souls games, you know
>>
>>319353440
>all about immersion
explain Tetris
>>
>>319353440
Immersion is simply the degree to which the game captures your attention, how strongly it holds your focus and moves you. You are overestimating Witcher 3's immersion. It has a lot of dull filler, Geralt isn't that interesting of a character, the world isn't all that interesting (or pretty for that matter, lol downgrades)... and finally the combat has lots of cheesability and generally superlative mechanics much like Witcher 2.

Basically, Rockstar is the only dev I really look forward to when it comes to open world, because they make proper use of hundreds of millions of dollars to fill out their open worlds. Smaller developers should either take the Dark Souls route of levels with seamless interconnects arranged as part of a 3D landscape, or secure more funding.
>>
Yeah because I was super immersed in kicking my friends asses in mortal kombat or playing mario while taking turns with my brother as a kid
>>
if /v/ had their way, all games would be either platformers, isometric RPGs, or fighting games with ugly 2D graphics. anything else is casual and bad
>>
>>319361461
>if /v/ had their way
>there would be no games at all
FTFY
>>
>>319361628
But /v/ hated the PS3
>>
>>319360324
>the i think im smart but have no idea what the fuck im talking about post
>>
>>319360645
No one plays it anymore.
>>
>>319361461
You described perfection
>>
Immersion was used since who knows when for marketing means. Now everyone believes that it's real. Until we get VR with non-physical input there is no immersion to be had.
>>
>>319362180

>VR with non-physical input

what does that even mean
>>
>>319362269
You scream at the top of you lungs to check inventory.
>>
>>319361228
>Basically, Rockstar is the only dev I really look forward to when it comes to open world, because they make proper use of hundreds of millions of dollars to fill out their open worlds.
Red Dead was good, but GTA4 and 5 weren't good, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>319362458

kill yourself, GTA IV and V were technical achievements and great games. their mechanics, stories, worlds are better than pretty much any other option out there
>>
>>319362458
4 I'll give you, but 5 was clearly their greatest game to date. They learned their lessons and took out the fat cousins calling you up for bowling, fixed up the engine, and pursued the kind of scale they originally wanted to for IV. And later added a fucking awesome first person mode which I couldn't live without anymore.
>>
>>319362573
>>319362949
lol

4 was shit because Nico was a crap character. Boring, washed out, dull game all around.

5 was shit because it was a completely wasted opportunity. Multiple protagonists, yet no co-op. The pinnacle of the game takes place during the first heist, too — more or less everything after that is fluff.

They don't know what to do with GTA anymore. The games have been less and less interesting since 3.
>>
>>319353440
I think it's really nice that you have an opinion. You take care now.
>>
>>319361845
No he described the nineties.
Time to move on grampa.
>>
>>319361461
Which one of those is DORFORT?
>>
>>319363617
>casual
>>
>>319353440
First part of the post is pretty accurate.
Second part is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>319360645
Made in a time were we were technological retards.
Nobody played Tetris for hours upon hours. It was a game to waste a bit of time, then you did something else.
Yet people kept playing table tops for hours upon hours upon hours.
>>
>>319361461
Instead now ALL games are action games.
I want diversity, not some extreme.
>>
>>319360027
it's a meme. don't reply.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.