[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that pic related was met with such a 'meh'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 40
Why is it that pic related was met with such a 'meh' reception even from the time it was announced, but HeartGold/SoulSilver was hype beyond all hype and heralded as a masterpiece?

And what's next? Diamond/Pearl remakes or a second remake of Red/Blue?
>>
HG/SS stuck to the charm of the originals and added good features on.

ORAS had some good features, but cut and changed too much to warrant being a loved title.
>>
Tbh I just hate that font.
>>
There's several reasons why everyone thinks the originals were the a low point in the series, and the remakes did nothing to address them and everything to add more.
>>
HG/SS were heavily based on crystal and added new features on top of improving the old ones.

ORAS were heavily based on R/S and added new features that were meant to replace the old features from emerald that everyone was looking forward to. delta epi wasn't all that amazing either. If they included the battle frontier and gym leader rebattles, I'm sure it would have been on par with HG/SS.
>>
File: 1172097781394.jpg (50 KB, 400x573) Image search: [Google]
1172097781394.jpg
50 KB, 400x573
>>319348550

>HG/SS stuck to the charm of the originals and added good features on.
Not OP. But I don't agree. HG/SS felt like exactly what it was. A Gen II game stuck in the Gen V engine. Complete with slow combat and unnecessary extra dialogue. It was a struggle for me to finish it.

ORAS on the other hand improved on a lot of things from its original game. Not just the full 3D graphics imitating the anime. But also faster combat, new areas in towns and the overworld, improved dialogue/character interaction and vastly improved breeding. Aside from the lack of end game content, I honestly don't see why ORAS gets so much hate. Its the best Pokemon game I have played since Emerald.
>>
>>319348419
HG/SS had far more content. There was a bunch of stuff to do after the elite four and it wasn't "LOL fly around and go in portals to find legendaries." However OR/AS were decent games, and the looker quest and Deoxys parts of the ending were pretty cool but the exclusion of the battle frontier absolutely ruined the game for me.
>>
>>319349047

So basically you like shiny things.
>>
>>319349047

>Gen V

Stopped reading there.
>>
File: 39102043_p0.png (103 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
39102043_p0.png
103 KB, 600x849
>>319349047
whats it like to have shit taste
>>
Doesnt really matter, the entire pokemon series is shit anyway.
>>
>>319348419
People didn't want a remake of Ruby and Sapphire they wanted a remake of Emerald
>>
>>319349047
The new Brendan and May designs are shit though.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (59 KB, 278x400) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
59 KB, 278x400
>follower pokemon were dropped
fucking WHHHHYY
>>
I wanted the Emerald Battle Frontier damnit
>>
>>319349295

So they can sell it back to you in another 5 years as a special new feature.
>>
>>319349243
yup
>>
The nostalgia power behind HGSS was far greater and fans are more forgiving. People wanted it forever.

Far fewer people gave a shit about remakes for RS, especially when many people didn't like that those games.
>>
>>319348419
easy. the gen ii remakes kept in all the good things crystal added.
the gen iii ones removed the best features from emerald. still good but could have easily been better. remakes shouldn't cut content.
>>
I loved Omega Ruby, but There could be bias because Ruby was my first Pokemon game, and I kind of dropped out of the series for a while after White 1
Swampert a best Pokemon
>>
>>319349408

I think a lot of people enjoyed Emerald, just not R/S.

Emerald remake would have received more praise I reckon, especially if they included BF, a main criticism of ORAS
>>
>>319349091
I agree. Not having several different and weird battle places to spend hours preparing for was a big letdown, they were so much fun when I played Emerald.
>>
>>319349408
I don't know about that, a lot of people seem to love gen 3 the most for some reason (and I have no idea why. Those games were just disappointing for me).
>>
File: 1370162731255.png (68 KB, 284x192) Image search: [Google]
1370162731255.png
68 KB, 284x192
>>319349243
And nobody wanted a remake of Gold/Silver either. They wanted Crystal. But HGSS ended up having Crystal elements anyways and turned out great.

ORAS couldnt have done the same thing but chose not to
>>
>>319348419
Main complaints I see are:

>too easy, Lati@s being given to you especially
>few quality of life improvements; "7.8/10 too much water" has some truth to it
>Emerald features nonexistent
>copypasted Battle Maison from XY
>>
>>319348419
Honestly I hated everything past Gold and Silver. Ruby was a bit of a chore to play plus by the time it came out, people were going through that 'pokemon sucks' phase before it weirdly resurged a few years later. HG and SS had some nice features too, I mean even if it was only down to aesthetics I'd been wanting to play with my fuckin tyranitar following me for about three+ games so to finally get that? Mint.
>>
>>319349767
The water thing is silly. Surfing is way faster than before and you can just use repels if it bothers you so much. I fought hardly any pokemon while surfing in my playthrough of omega ruby.
>>
There isn't one objectively good main series pokemon game. Prove me wrong
>>
>>319349767

>few quality of life improvements; "7.8/10 too much water" has some truth to it
ORAS gave you a boat so you could literally skip all the water routes. And people still complain.

>Emerald features nonexistent
It had most of the features from Emerald. Even the end game legendaries.

It just lacked the Battle Frontier. Which I want to point out, when Emerald first came out, people complained about the Battle Frontier being 'pointless filler'. And now everyone is using it as an excuse to bitch about ORAS, because its not there.

As usual, /v/ just looks for a reason to complain. Even if ORAS had every single aspect of Emerald, they'd complain about the graphics being 'too kiddy' or May's flat chest.
>>
>>319349408
Emerald is my favorite, second is gold or silver in terms of original games.

The remake was just... Flat.
Hg/ss was a remake of something that fans wanted ever since lg and fr came out, and you have to add in the factor of nostalgia.

They could have done better with oras, it seems like they just expected it to sell well because of the title, and didn't put alot of work into it as they should have.

Tldr, they were high off hgss success and thought they could release some hing mediocre and still be popular.
>>
HG/SS had everything crystal had and then some, adding battle frontier and safari zone, replacing game corner with other stuff

ORAS had ruby/sapphire as the base instead of emerald, no battle frontier (the biggest sin) removing hunderds of hours of gameplay and adding in an hour long delta episode, the maison is garbage compared to the BF, no gym leader rematches at higher levels, no replacement for game corner, game is made easier

gen 3 (emerald) is my favorite but ORAS was a spit in the face. It was worse because they embargoed the end game until the game came out so no one would know there was no battle frontier. Fucking scumbags, that in part with X/Y being bad too made me drop the series
>>
>>319349691
They're the loudest now, I've seen people come down harder on Gen 4 like the Gen 1/2 people use to come down on Gen 3. Just the way it is.
>>
>>319349974
We can't, because there's no such thing as an objectively good game. Good or bad are subjective, you chode.
>>
>>319350162
>when emerald came out, people complained that it was pointless filler

why lie on the internet? The BF was the best addition to the series a "third" title has ever added. It brought 6 new ways to do battles. I still boot up emerald and platinum to do battle factory because it's so damn fun
>>
>>319348419
Because they were remakes of the worst games in the series, and instead of finally redeeming them, adding what Emerald and future entries fixed as well as extra OC, they doubled down on the flaws like retards and put the bare minimum of effort.

>>319350162
>Remove "pointless filler"
>Add nothing in its place

Derp.
>>
>>319349691

Back when Gen III was current, people were bashing it the most and claiming Gen II was the best.

When Gen IV was out, people were bashing it and claiming Gen III was best.

Now with Gen VI out, people are bashing it and obsessing over Gen V.

Pokemon is stuck in the cycle.
>>
>>319350365
My guessing is you were a preteen playing erald and that's the only.time you've played it Mr nostalgia goggle.
>>
>>319349974
Gold/Silver/Crystal is objectively good. It took Red and Blue and literally doubled the size and scope. The day/night system with real time was fucking groundbreaking for a handheld game. The whole radio and cell phone features were absolutely amazing. It was absolutely everything and more that anyone could have hoped for in a Pokemon sequel back then.

My first time playing through Gold I didn't know much about the game other than TV commercials. After I cleared the Elite 4 and then realized all of Kanto was now available to explore I blew my fucking load right then and there. I had no idea that was coming and honestly it's one of my most cherished memories in all of gaming.

2nd gen Pokemon will always be 10/10 in my eyes. It's absolutely perfect.
>>
>>319350640

>why lie on the internet?
I'm not lying. I was on 4chan in 2005 when Emerald came out. And people were bitching about Battle Frontier in every thread. I'm just pointing out its kind of funny that now people are bitching that it ISN'T in the remake. If anything, Game Freak might have taken it out based on the negative views of it back with Emerald.
>>
File: 1443727013960.png (853 KB, 1024x893) Image search: [Google]
1443727013960.png
853 KB, 1024x893
>>319348419
>We'll never get a remake with BW engine.
Too bad, I really loved those sprites.
>>
>>319350162
>ORAS gave you a boat so you could literally skip all the water routes.
???

>when Emerald first came out, people complained about the Battle Frontier being 'pointless filler'
That's irrelevant even if true. People were vocal about how much they were looking forward to the BF in the remakes. Why remove it if a couple fuckers didn't like it ten years ago while everyone else wants it back?
>>
>>319350812
that makes no sense because they were back in platinum/HG/SS

They stated BF wasn't back in OR/AS because it was too hard for most of the player base, so they can suck my cock
>>
>>319350774

My first game was Crystal.

And holy shit yeah I was the same, 16 badges, 2 regions it was amazing for the time.
>>
What exactly is fun about half the map being water? Even with Sharpedo it takes forever, and that mon being faster basically FORCES you to have a Sharpedo as an HM slave. Not to mention all the other hm's requiring you to have TWO slaves
>>
File: Bane_TDKR3.jpg (49 KB, 470x706) Image search: [Google]
Bane_TDKR3.jpg
49 KB, 470x706
>>319350812
So you are saying /v/ bitches about everything?
>>
>>319350567
>mfw when reading this
Pokemon is objectively a boring and repetitive game. Strategy boils down to having enough common sense to tell what type something is based on its color, and then switching to something thats strong against it. This is the entire game. There's no substance, its not remotely engaging, and theres no reason to play it anymore. It was good for its time on the gameboy but the fact that the series has stayed unchanged to its core for so fucking long is a testimony to how autistic pokemon fans are.
>>
>>319348419
ORAS remains the one mainline pair that I haven't beaten. It was just so fucking boring that I couldn't finish it. Made it up to Wallace and there was no excitement.
>>
>>319348419
Ruby and Sapphire were great, that is, until Emerald came out. They based ORAS on R/S, instead of the vastly superior version. Emerald had such a fleshed out endgame, which is exactly what ORAS needed. Other than that, ORAS was brilliant.
>>
Which had the shortest postgame?

OR/AS, X/Y or B1/W1?
>>
>>319350957

Well they also removed Battle Frontier in X/Y and just had the Battle Mansion. Which is what they put in ORAS. If anything, people should have complained when X/Y didn't have the full battle frontier. But they were too busy yelling about how the new Pokemon designs were weak.
>>
File: ORAS.png (228 KB, 893x1200) Image search: [Google]
ORAS.png
228 KB, 893x1200
>>319348419
>>
>>319351296
people didnt' complain because it was a base game, the base games never had battle frontier, they only had battle tower which was basically the maison minus triple/rotation battles

I'm excepting a fully fleshed out maison for Z
>>
>>319350879
BW had alright sprites but those animations were shit-tier.
>>
>>319348419
hg/ss took gen 2 and improved on it and it's issues. you end up with 1 massive game.
oras took gen 3 and gave it x&y's battle system but half-assed the worldmap AND removed features.

hg/ss felt like a love letter to fans. oras felt like a quick cashgrab (and was).
>>
>>319351434
oh and before you try to say B2/W2, it had the world championships which had a ton of content and challenge like the BF

the subway was shit and dropped immediately after gen 5
>>
>>319351296
X/Y not having Battle Frontier was understandable given how long 3D modeling all the Pokemon must have taken.

Since we never got a third game, OR/AS more or less was supposed to follow the usual pattern of including extra features like that.

>>319351382
Some of this is beyond autistic, but there's a decent amount of valid reasons here.

I doubt such an image exists for HG/SS.

>>319351510
>hg/ss felt like a love letter to fans. oras felt like a quick cashgrab (and was).

This.
>>
It was a rushed game

I dont really see how people cant figure that out.
>>
>>319351292
b/w had a pretty sizable postgame with the three routes, looking for the 7 sages, and the subway.

x/y was decent with the looker quest (enjoyed that more than the main plot) and the maison.

oras had delta episode, legendary hunting, and maison 2.0/battle resort. It wasn't stellar, but it was still sizable content.

The worst, imo, was R/S. I don't think there was a single thing to do after you beat the E4.
>>
File: ORAS verdict.png (198 KB, 1234x680) Image search: [Google]
ORAS verdict.png
198 KB, 1234x680
>>319351382
>>
File: 1448271656120.jpg (16 KB, 522x346) Image search: [Google]
1448271656120.jpg
16 KB, 522x346
>HGSS
>Remake of GSC which fans had been fellating over for years
>Postgame is an entire region
>Re-added and expanded old feature from Yellow, any Pokemon can follow you
>GB sounds as a little postgame bonus
>Added elements from Crystal as well as Platinum's Battle Frontier
>Added Pokewalker goodies
>Pokeathelon

>ORAS
>Added short postgame story about Rayquaza
>Devalued Deoxys hard
>Took out character customization and used "it's a Kalos thing" as an excuse
>While putting in the Battle Maison with no changes whatsoever instead of making a new Battle Tower or Battle Frontier assets
>Released on an 8th gen handheld where patching is perfectly possible yet refuse to patch XY with new megas because jewery
>Forced to deal with stock player character because of said jewery
>Revealed every single new mega before release
>Move tutors are just copypasted from BW2
>No significant movepool additions aside from gen VI mons gaining access to BW2 tutor moves
>Primals aren't megas but work almost exactly like megas
>Primals unnecessary buff off attacking stat and primary defenses instead of investing in speed or off defense
>Literally half their boost goes into the other attacking stat that they never fucking use

They're not bad remakes, but they're the bare minimum when HGSS gave so much more. I'm just crossing my fingers and praying for a new Kalos game so I can have a custom character again for fuck's sake.
>>
>>319350879
why do you post this in every pokemon thread anyway
>>
>>319351820
>The worst, imo, was R/S. I don't think there was a single thing to do after you beat the E4.

Oh, no doubt. Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

Just talking about the more recent games and figured there was no point in including B2/W2 since it has so fucking much.

The only thing to do in R/S after the E4 was catch fish to trade for Elixirs and shit. Besides hunting for the Regis and Rayquaza.
>>
I personally really liked ORAS. Since Emerald is probably my favorite game, I can understand that people were upset by the lack of a battle frontier but other than that I personally had no problems with the game. I feel like if you look at the good aspects as opposed to hyper-focusing on the bad ones like everyone tends to do it's a pretty good game.
>>
They took a game that was controversial on its initial release for removing features - you wouldn't believe it by being on /v/, because /v/ is full of youngsters, but Hoenn was the generation that first started /really/ alienating "hardcore" fans (if you can even use that term for a franchise as pleb as Pokemon). They remade it into the most casualized (but also the prettiest) generation yet, removed even more features, and then neglected to add the features from Emerald that people wanted the most.

What you end up with is a very well-presented, streamlined but also bare-bones version of a game many people weren't fans of in the first place, without the best bits, but with a couple of bells and whistles like soaring and DexNav Plus. Oh yeah and Zinnia was the worst fucking edgy retarded Mary Sue i've ever seen introduced in any game, Nintendo or otherwise

Overall it could've been executed wayyyy worse, but it's not hard to see why people would be pissed off about this game
>>
File: 1403295427021.jpg (163 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1403295427021.jpg
163 KB, 800x800
>>319349047
>Gen V engine
>>
>>319352020
>Devalued Deoxys hard
How is that a bad thing? It's stupid as fuck that some pokemon are extremely difficult to get legitimately. And the way that it was put in the game was fucking cool. Some of what you said was nitpicking but I agree with the rest for the most part.
>>
File: 1446226667765.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446226667765.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>319349047
>>
File: Yokoi Not Fun.png (48 KB, 319x352) Image search: [Google]
Yokoi Not Fun.png
48 KB, 319x352
>>319351901

>framrate issues haven't been fixed

This got even more grating after I tried the Yokai Watch demo and that game looked great, had 3D enabled and could do it all without running at like five fucking frames per second.

That more than anything else is a sign of GameFreak being fucking lazy and complacent since they know people will buy it anyway.
>>
>>319351128
Really? I REALLY didn't like B2/W2. It was so similar to B/W that I couldn't even really gather any reason whatsoever to play it. If anything, those games seemed like shitty cash grabs to me.
>>
>>319350774
Summarised perfectly.

I was knee-deep in Pokemon hype as a kid when Gen II was set for release.

In the UK were fucking jewed hard and release was like a year (?) after US. My dad took me to a store that sold imported games and I got both Gold and Silver fucking months before everybody else at school.

Beat Elite 4, Kanto unlocked, fucking mindblown. Went into school with the biggest shit-eating grin, told people, nobody believed me, so I unleashed that badboy.

Good times.
>>
>>319352205
Because Braixen and Delphox are the only good things that came out of gen 6
>>
File: sept_p18_04_en_nai.jpg (41 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
sept_p18_04_en_nai.jpg
41 KB, 400x240
>>319352523

Zinnia was kinda meh, but the Delta Episode itself was pretty fucking cool. Having an actual story to play through besides "stop the evil team/become the champion" was nifty.

They also gave Wally a fucking GOAT battle at Victory Road.

https://youtu.be/5-wYGBi_JyA
>>
>>319352675
It's 50/50 for me. I'm an event collector/trader, so I was a little miffed when Deoxys lost a lot of value, but on the other hand I was quite happy to have a Deoxys that could be nicknamed. So there's that. Out of curiosity, which parts would you consider nitpicking?
>>
>>319352830
I never had any problem with the framerate when I played. Even with the 3d on. If you're just complaining that it wasn't at 60 fps then you can go fuck yourself though.
>>
File: 39839848_p0.jpg (288 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
39839848_p0.jpg
288 KB, 800x800
>>319352960
But all of the mons in gen 6 were gr8

Do you even browse phox phridays
>>
>>319351382
>muh safari zone
The safari zone was shit and I'm actually glad that they changed it into a normal area.
>>
>>319353162

No, not complaining about 60, I mean actual slowdowns in what is mostly a static RPG. You never had slowdowns when you had 3D on in battles? Did you have attack animations turned off? I mean the framerates would sometimes just drop panning over certain pokemon, even with the 3D off. It was not good.
>>
I only liked it because my favorite Pokemon is from 3rd gen and I transferred it from my original Sapphire cart all the way to AS for a pointless certificate. And it's 100% worth hanging it up in my secret base.

Outside of that, the move tutors and new megas I don't think it improved enough in comparison to RSE and XY. Delta Episode was cool but couldn't make up for it.
>>
File: 1363753266694.jpg (87 KB, 562x482) Image search: [Google]
1363753266694.jpg
87 KB, 562x482
GEN 1 IS THE WORST SERIES OF GAMES EVER MADE EVER!
PROVE ME WRONG!
PROTIP: You certainly can.
>>
Because Ruby and Sapphire were shit when they first came out. So why on earth would the remakes be any different?
>>
>>319353334
No, I never had any noticeable slowdown at all, even though I had the 3d on and animations on. I didn't even know that it was a problem that existed.
>>
>>319352898

>tfw they were always begging to trade their shitmons for your legendaries
>always tried to battle you and lost every time
>>
File: Untitled 2.png (21 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 2.png
21 KB, 768x576
platinum & b/w2 are the best
>>
>>319353396
I dunno senpai, Gen 6 was shit, and a lot of people think Gen 1 is better simply for nostalgia and or it just being the first games in the series therefore giving it respect for being the base of the series.
>>
>>319353127
The Delta Episode, when it comes down to it, is a fetch quest involving running around to locations you've already been to, following Zinnia, and watching a few cutscenes.

So I stick by what I said - well-presented but a little shitty. The only thing that was mechanically of any interest at all in the Delta Episode was fighting the five Intimidate Mightyena's at once. Zinnia's music is cool, it has the cool cutscene where you fly out into space, and whatever else is there. But at its core, Delta Episode was a fetch quest, and for that matter they butchered the Sky Pillar into this really mundane staircase with some plot points along the way up
>>
>>319353134
Revealing megas before release, primals being not a big deal, primals getting buffs in useless stats, no customization of characters

Those are negatives but they're not a big deal to me. I never expected the primal pokemon to be great changes and don't care much since I basically never battle with big legendaries anyway. I miss trainer customization but not too much.
>>
>>319353482
This is bait right? Nobody actually likes those games, right? I mean, you're entitled to your opinion but since this is 4chan, I'm entitled to call you a faggot for liking games that I think are shitty.
>>
>>319348419
No Battle Frontier, therefore no real replayabilty through post-game, therefore dropped.

I wholly recommend even encourage pirating it though, because if they can't arsed to make a worthy remake, you shouldn't be arsed to spend money on it.
>>
>>319348419
The 3D games literally just made everything 3D, but they stopped there. They didn't bother to flesh out any of the environments. They didn't even bother fixing framerate issues in battle because GF suck a fuck at making games.
Also, Battle Frontier. Fuck you if you never cared about it, HG/SS had it, so why not ORAS?
>>
File: 1449262285151.png (93 KB, 320x310) Image search: [Google]
1449262285151.png
93 KB, 320x310
>>319353648
pt and bw2 were good
>>
>>319353648
Diamond and Pearl would've been great games if the battle speed wasn't horrendously slow. Platinum fixed that and added lots of content too. It's one of the best pokemon games.
>>
File: 1446846423437.jpg (184 KB, 1100x700) Image search: [Google]
1446846423437.jpg
184 KB, 1100x700
>>319350640
>I still boot up emerald and platinum to do battle factory because it's so damn comfy
ftfy
>>
>>319353648
I've found that liking plat/bw2 the best is the general consensus for the people who've played all the mainline games from start to finish.

What did you think was so terrible about them?
>>
>>319353768
Well, desu I never played that generation so I'm just going off of what people have said about it being the worst. I really hate b/w2 though. It's by far my least favorite.
>>
>>319353482
Winter Unova certainly is the best region. The pokes suck, though.

B/W/2 are OK, felt like spinoffs, but not the best.
>>
>>319353589
The trainer customization thing irks most people as a point of principle

Masuda said that the reason customization wasn't back was because it was a Kalos-exclusive feature - something fashion-centric to make Kalos stand out. Which is all well and good, except for the fact that he lazily brings back Battle Maison for Hoenn. It's called the fucking Battle Maison - it's even got French in the name, so clearly that of all things should be a Kalos-exclusive feature and Hoenn should get its own battle facility, right? Nope, Masuda picks and chooses

So effectively, the director lies and pretends he doesn't include certain features to make each region 'unique', but really it's a front for the teams own laziness
>>
I'm amazed they introduced a character in ORAS so unlikeable not even the Japs could like them even with their design.
>>
>>319353830
B2/W2 just seemed like the same game as B/W to me. So, I couldn't actually find a desire to play it to completion. It just seemed like they decided that they wanted to release the same game 4 times that generation as opposed to 3. That's why I hated it.
>>
File: rehre.jpg (86 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
rehre.jpg
86 KB, 500x494
>>319353648

mechanically anything before gen iv is obsolete. platinum is a straight improvement over d/p. hg/ss didn't change enough about g/s/c outside of the updated battle meta & graphics. b/w has many boring cinematics and a boring story with forced walls of text, a linear / bland map. gen 6 is fine in battle but lacks content and the maps are streamlined and bland.
>>
File: Ruseon.png (131 KB, 800x705) Image search: [Google]
Ruseon.png
131 KB, 800x705
>>319354048
>not saying who it is
>>
>>319353589
Those are all pretty big deals to me, though the mega bit is mostly disappointment that there was no surprise on release and that Flygon didn't get a mega.

Character customization had been a dream of mine for Pokemon for years and now that I've had it I find it hard to do without. Which makes the lack of patch for XY especially hard on me.

As for the primals, well... I also play competitive, and I'd have loved to see Groudon and Kyogre get some speed. I know they hit really hard now, but personally I'd rather just use a scarf'd Kyogre for Water Spout spam than Primal. Like I said in my original post, the thing that really gets me here is that literally half the stat gains were put into that other attacking stat.
>>
This is probably just nostalgoa but I think the 3D made everything looks worse. Why are the edges of the routes some weird grass instead of the endless wall of trees it used to be?
>>
>>319354151
>new OC donut steel character with a flygon as his signature
>he gives you a garchompite after you finish his quest

That was so cruel it was funny.
>>
>>319350669
For what it's worth i always loved gen 1/2. My first feeling I had when i turned on Ruby, and played for the first time, was disappointment. Gen 4 I thought was okay, but i came to the conclusion it was slow and I didn't like it when i couldn't even fill my party to 6 Pokémon, that I liked, on both play thrus. I loved gen 5, no complaints. I was high for the majority of X's story mode so I wasn't too annoyed by how terrible it was, but I still didn't find it memorable regardless.

I guess my main point is, i don't fit into your cycle theory so i reject the idea of it entirely.
>>
>>319353648
Those games were good, but I would place HGSS above BW2.
>>
File: 1183609680021.jpg (19 KB, 397x400) Image search: [Google]
1183609680021.jpg
19 KB, 397x400
>>319353396

Gen I had legitamite gameplay and UI issues. Its still amazing kids could even figure out how to play the game. Especially since most of them never played an RPG beofre Pokemon. But despite the UI problems, it has some of the best design of the series. In terms of town layout, dungeon layout and story flow. And the remake really showed this. I'd argue the LG/FR remake is my favorite game after Emerald.

I also still think it has the best designed Pokemon. No other gen has me interested in 75% of the Pokemon like Gen I did. At best,I tend to only care for about 40% of the Pokemon. And like 10% of the Pokemon in Gen II and V.
>>
>>319348419
I just felt that a remake was unnecessary
gold and silver could be justified, because you can't play the old gold and silver and bring your pokemans over into the newer editions, but you can still do that with the old ruby and sapphire

I don't mind them remaking the games, but now we're at a point where red and blue/green are the oldest games again, so should they receive another remake?
>>
>>319353396
The problem with Pokémon is that it only goes as far as G/S/C.

Starting with Hoenn, Nintendo realized they could milk the series even harder, and since then everything feels soulless.

They overhauled everything, including the design. The only thing that's left is the premise. It feels like a complete different series at this point.
>>
>>319354468

Gen II had some nice ones too.
>>
>>319354468
>best designs
I actually agree. They were minimalist and anyone who says otherwise probably think Mega Evos were a good idea.
>>
>>319350774
absolutely

and I was disappointed as hell when I found out you couldn't get to kanto or johto in ruby and sapphire

going to kanto in gold and silver, just discovering that you could do that is one of my most cherished memories in gaming, too, anon
>>
>>319354484

>but now we're at a point where red and blue/green are the oldest games again
Gen IV and V haven't had remakes. And probably will get them once they reach the 15 year old stage.
>>
>>319348419

>Gyms dumbed down
>Teams are actually shittier
>No rematches
>Game corner removed
>Given a legendary Pokemon in mid game for fucking free
>Contests even more brainless

There were minimal changes and the changes that were made just made everything too easy.
>>
>>319354563
>Implying you wouldn't terrorize the pokemon regions fucking literally everything
>>
>>319354563
>implying there wouldn't be bestiality in the Pokemon world
>>
>>319354557
Have you actually been playing the games since gen II? I wouldn't call what they've been doing as milking the series any more than they've been doing from the start. It's just that you actually realized what they were doing at gen III.
>>
>>319354672
>Gen IV and V haven't had remakes
true, but 4 and 5 are DS, they are newer than FR and LG, and those were for GBA... 5 definitely doesn't need a remake
>>
>>319354151
Well the special attack on Groudon is useful for solar beam (which probably isn't a big deal) or fire blast/flamethrower/eruption, which is very useful. I know Kyogre got the short end of the stick with the primals but it's not as bad as it could be. I mean there's basically no reason at all to use some megas.
>>
>>319354661
hoenn is bigger than kanto + jhoto

I'd rather have a new, bigger area than one that's 1/3 the size and just brings back the others

also, Hoenn is still to this day the best region because of how varied the enviornment is
>>
Because third gen was shit. Third gen Pokemon were shit. Hell, the whole franchise went to shit directly after Third Gen went out.

You can polish a turd with new mechanics and make it look nicer but you can't make a turd not a turd.
>>
File: 1425547623035.jpg (372 KB, 990x810) Image search: [Google]
1425547623035.jpg
372 KB, 990x810
>>319354563
>not loving your pokemon both romantically and sexually
>>
File: dragonair 4.png (98 KB, 334x445) Image search: [Google]
dragonair 4.png
98 KB, 334x445
>>319354703

I don't know about literally everything. There are some I'd spend weeks, even months with.
>>
>>319354804
>hoenn is bigger than kanto + jhoto
what?
doubt it
>>
>>319354734
There's a difference between milking and streamlining literally everything, killing any resemblance to the original in the process, in order to maximize profits.

They've been doing the latter since G3.
>>
>>319354779

>5 definitely doesn't need a remake
Neither did Emerald. But it got one.

Game Freak has a formula going and making remakes is actually aiding that formula. They're gonna make a game from three gens before in every new gen.
>>
File: 1380312084959.jpg (501 KB, 728x1030) Image search: [Google]
1380312084959.jpg
501 KB, 728x1030
>>319353284
>phox phridays
What is this, some /vp/ event ?
>>
>>319354850
>not having just one that you love and staying with them forever
You're sick.
>>
>>319354850
Anon there are swarms of 10 year olds wearing revealing outfits wandering the wilds

I will bring fear to their world
>>
>>319354804

johto isn't better but all the surfing after lilycove city and stuff like "tall grass" makes it annoying to travel around
>>
>>319354936
Having played the originals without the nostalgia goggles, I can say that the streamlining and lack of resemblance to the old games isn't entirely a bad thing. Those games are pretty shitty by today's standards.
>>
>>319354734

I never felt like any game in the series was soulless until X/Y. Hell, Gen 5 is my favorite generation period.

X/Y is just a humongous piece of shit. Completely by the numbers and not all that interesting, neither in story composition or Pokemon design.

Mega evolution was a mistake.
>>
The one thing I really disliked about Emerald is that they didn't redraw the sprites, they're still 'flat'.

FR/LG fixed that.
>>
I'm one of those people that has enjoyed every generation

HG/SS are great games; they fix everything wrong with the original games and add a ton of great features. Could Gen 2 be done better in the future? Most certainly.

OR/AS are ok games; the changes are a lot more noticeable from the originals, exceptionally more hand-holding in a way I found more intrusive than Fi in SS. ORAS did some things well though but the Delta Episode was highly questionable, there is no content to fill the level gap between Zinnia and rematch Steven without leaving exp share on the whole game (which is terrible game design imo). And I don't even care about the Frontier but leaving a sign "coming soon" is just an insult. No way to rematch gym leaders is a big step down from HGSS (and Emerald) where it was a major post-game feature. ORAS reeks of casualization and cut-corners in odd places. I'm not going to lie and say ORAS is a terrible game cause its not but the game is really disappointing cause the errors made were so silly and could've easily been rectified.
>>
>>319354996

Forever is a very long time, anon. Even the strongest love fades eventually.

>>319355002

You can have the children, I just want their Pokemon.
>>
File: Red.png (101 KB, 205x400) Image search: [Google]
Red.png
101 KB, 205x400
Generation 1 has the best art in the entire series.
>>
>>319354786
150 was fucking overkill, and they needed that speed so much more. Imagine if they had only put 30 into the off attacking stat and 20 into speed. Would be more than enough to be a complete monster. While still being slower and inferior to Mega Rayquaza.
>>
>>319354970
>Neither did Emerald. But it got one.
it did? didn't even know, but at least it was an old GBA game, gen 5 isn't that old yet
>>
>>319355150
>Even the strongest love fades eventually.
I sincerely feel bad for anyone who believes this.
>>
>>319348886

Ruby was the most fun I had with a Pokemon since Red.
>>
>>319355134
I can't agree with this. Gen V is my least favorite generation that I've actually played, and I actually liked the new games quite a bit.
>>
>>319355217
I'm quite sure the primals are top-tier in ubers. They don't need to be any stronger.
>>
>>319354127
It's quite obvious who it is.
>>
>>319354970
>Neither did Emerald. But it got one.
wait, when?
>>
>>319355307

So how long have you been together with someone, anon? How much experience are you speaking from here?
>>
>>319355383
You're right. Professor Birch is a fucking bitch ass poser.
>>
>>319355186
I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's pretty original IMO. Fuck any of the art after Gen IV.
>>
>>319355339

I just feel like it did a good job of doing what the series HASN'T done since GSC: make a new region feel brand fucking new.

Hardest fights, decent story, great new Pokemon, I honestly wish they went for a full reboot instead of letting us catch old shit.
>>
>>319355150
Love does, obsession doesn't, and obsession isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Look at Gardevoir for instance. My waifu, forever and always.
>>
>>319352020
>Postgame is an entire region
You can't use the parts from the original, though.
>Took out character customization and used "it's a Kalos thing" as an excuse
I understand the complaint, but it's a bit unfair to judge a game for what it isn't rather than what it is.
>While putting in the Battle Maison with no changes whatsoever instead of making a new Battle Tower or Battle Frontier assets
. . . Which is exactly what they did with HGSS, mind you.
>Forced to deal with stock player character because of said jewery
What?
>Revealed every single new mega before release
Eh.
>Move tutors are just copypasted from BW2
Most move tutors have been taken to let Pokemon easily have moves from earlier generations. FRLG only had ones that taught gen I TMs.
>Primals unnecessary buff off attacking stat and primary defenses instead of investing in speed or off defense
Sounds like a specific stat decision, not a game-changing thing, regardless of how bad that is for them specifically.

I agree with you on the account that they did far less that HGSS; HGSS in general felt like a very full game, regardless of remake status. It's not that there wasn't new content or GOOD new content, but it just wasn't very dense and didn't offer any big changes, especially since the simple "different gen mechanics" change wasn't nearly as big as the last two remakes, which outright fixed the battle system and made it much more interesting, respectively.
>>
because everything after G/S sucked
>>
>>319349047

>Gen V
>Struggle for me to finish

So many wrong things with this post, but god damn anon you're a fucking faggot.
>>
HG/SS improved on the originals and the games that came before it (D/P and Platinum). ORAS does not even manage to be on par with Emerald, and also lacks features from X/Y.
>>
File: 43705120_p13_master1200.jpg (95 KB, 420x595) Image search: [Google]
43705120_p13_master1200.jpg
95 KB, 420x595
>>319354985
Every friday there is a phox thread
>>
>>319355446
There are people who have been married for 30, 40, 50+ years, anon. If you spend enough time with someone, there comes a point when you just don't want to live without them.
>>
>>319355602
How does it feel to form all of your opinions based on nostalgia?
>>
>>319355339

only issue with gen v is the intrusive storyline in the first pair of games and the choice to continue using sprites but altering the camera distance, leading to ugly uneven scaling
>>
>>319355335
Then you have shit taste.
>>
>>319355374
Groudon is apparently top tier, yeah. And Kyogre is high, too.

I still want speed, though. And I still think the off-attacking stats are retarded. Not everything should be mixed, though admittedly Groudon has the movepool for it.
>>
>>319355491

Your obsession only exists because you can't have her, which is why it doesn't fade.

>>319355682

So you haven't actually experienced a long term relationship before and you're just an idealist. Maybe one day you'll understand that monotony is exactly what it sounds like and sometimes people need variety in their lives.
>>
File: 64.jpg (35 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
64.jpg
35 KB, 400x240
>>319354248
Because GF gave up on making games look good this gen.
>>
>>319355868
Did you expect for one of the heaviest pokemon to be fast? I can understand if they wanted to make Kyogre fast since I would assume that it's a fast swimmer, but Groudon could only be slow.
>>
>still uses shitty gen 6 renders
>there are still frame rate drops during battles
>Delta Episode, the one postgame thing they bothered to include outside of battle mansion was spoiled months before launch
>Delta Episode neutered Sky Pillar, one of the few things in the original R/S that felt somewhat daunting
>Neutered Granite Cave and the fucking Safari Zone
>Redesigns were hit and miss, Brandon and May particularly look shitty.
>just gives you Latios/Latias in the middle of the game
>nothing to do after Delta Episode than breed and fly trying to get legendaries.
>>
>>319355920
>So you haven't actually experienced a long term relationship before and you're just an idealist. Maybe one day you'll understand that monotony is exactly what it sounds like and sometimes people need variety in their lives.
I.. you're retarded. Like, that thought process is not that of an individual with a functioning brain and an IQ of at least 100. Am I being baited?
>>
>>319356186
Don't mind the degenerates.
>>
File: serperior.png (61 KB, 184x188) Image search: [Google]
serperior.png
61 KB, 184x188
>>319356186

>you're stupid!

Great argument for why I shouldn't leave a trail of broken hearts and ruined cunts across the Pokemon world.
>>
>>319353541
To be fair, I don't think the bike puzzle would work with the X/Y movement system. The fact that they just removed it and didn't bother to make anything else, along with the butchering of Dewford Cave, is just pure fucking laziness though.
>>
>>319355998

ORAS looks great. They went from chibi sprites to something halfway resembling the anime.

Graphics really is the major thing ORAS has going for it. Now framerates is different from art design.
>>
>>319353954
>seriously expecting anything other than bullshit from "Haha, I don't really know" Masuda
>>
>>319353482
>lost my copies of Platinum and HG/SS along with other DS games
>want to play them again but they're expensive as shit
Fucking kill me
>>
>>319351382
>Game Corner removed
Not a legitimate complaint. It was in HGSS that they replaced the Japanese GC with the game, but after that they dropped the idea altogether.
>>
>>319348419
Gen 2 is best gen. HG/SS had the following mechanic, which was so simple yet so genius.

Gen 3 was never that great, and even if it were, the nostalgia just isn't there yet I don't think. Not much post game either.
>>
>>319355540
>. . . Which is exactly what they did with HGSS, mind you

Gen 2 didn't have a battle frontier, so they recycled the new one that they just made for Gen 4.

Gen 3 did have a battle frontier but got stuck with the masion, which is just a reskinned subway from Gen 5.
>>
>Removed the skates from X/Y
>Didn't make new megas compatible with X/Y
Why?
>>
>>319356707
It is a legitimate complaint.
>>
>>319349012
>If they included the battle frontier and gym leader rebattles, I'm sure it would have been on par with HG/SS.
If they had done that, plus made it so you could turn the EXP Share into the classic, non-overpowered EXP Share, it would've been GOAT.
>>
>>319356390
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0OUq_kDh8
This is me dodging your bait
>>
>>319348419
Back to your containment board.
>>>/vp/
>>
>>319356923
>/v/ calling anyone else a containment board
>>
>>319356902
Then complain about the same thing with the past three games.
>>
>>319354850
It disturbs me that there are people like you who unironically have a desire to fuck pokemon.
>>
File: 1397279907341.jpg (15 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
1397279907341.jpg
15 KB, 560x400
Megas ruined the entire series for me. If it has a Mega in it, I'm not buying; which means I'm done with the series.
>>
As someone who's first game was Pearl, and never played Gen 3 besides FireRed, I can see both sides of the argument. OmegaRuby had a lot of really additions to the gameplay. Simply navigating the world and your inventory felt a lot more streamlined without making things too easy. I particularly loved the DexNav, for me it made building up the Dex even more fun and addictive than in past games, and it also made finding suitable Pokémon to use on my team a lot engaging. The presentation of the story was fantastic, and stuff like the Delta episode felt super fucking hype. However, I felt like the game gave the player very little to challenge themselves against. Obviously the gameplay of the story will never reach the difficulty of competitive play, but HG/SS had Red and all the Gym leader rematches. Additionally, there's no real difficultly to obtaining a lot of the postgame legendaries. I love how many legendaries you can catch in ORAS, but I would have preferred challenging or unique side quests that lead me to them instead of just wormholes that pop up. Ultimately I think ORAS is a pleasant experience, but one that's pretty shallow and easy compared to some of the more interesting entires in the series. In particular of course, HG/SS added a lot of content from Crystal and really sought to make an expansive experience. It doesn't feel the same with ORAS and it's a little disheartening.
>>
>>319357059
Not him, but /vp/ was quite explicitly created as a containment board.
>>319357110
>unironically
How do you "ironically" do it? Overused word.
>>
>>319350368
>no replacement for game corner
I'm cool with that. The Game Corner in RSE was shit anyway, the only reason you went was the stupid dolls and the Elemental Beam TMs, and reusable TMs makes the second reason obsolete.
>>
>>319357113
Why did megas ruin the entire series for you? That seems like a pretty weak reason to just say fuck it on everything.
>>
>>319357183
>How do you "ironically" do it?
By making a joke, autist.
>>
File: 1428165470424.gif (96 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1428165470424.gif
96 KB, 480x480
>>319357183
>Not him, but /vp/ was quite explicitly created as a containment board.
but no rules say we cant post pokemon here
>>
>>319357183
Well, there is a such thing as jokingly pretending to do something. Either that, or 4chan is literally full of pedophiles.
>>
>>319357113
so mega did it for for you not worthless baby pokemon in gen2?
>>
>>319355540
>You can't use the parts from the original, though.
What are you trying to say here, exactly? Please be a little more clear, especially since you're responding to a positive point for HGSS.
>I understand the complaint, but it's a bit unfair to judge a game for what it isn't rather than what it is.
It's perfectly fair when its predecessor had this feature. It affected my enjoyment of the game, and many others. Even going by your words, the game is a game that lacks a very appealing feature from its direct predecessor. There is no defending this.
>. . . Which is exactly what they did with HGSS, mind you.
Gamefreak didn't remove entire gameplay features from HGSS citing them as "a Sinnoh feature." In fact, HGSS was deliberately made to draw connections between the two regions. The Battle Frontier from Platinum was just a bonus. There was nothing expected of HGSS in that department, as Crystal only introduced the Battle Tower. ORAS had higher expectations. Instead, we got the Maison which clashed with Hoenn. And we were still missing out on character customization. Fuck off.
>What?
Because GF refused to patch XY so they wouldn't lose minuscule sales from people who'd just trade for the new mega stones, I can't trade all that shit back to XY and enjoy cart battling with a custom character. I have to stick to ORAS so I can battle anyone without problems. What's so hard to understand here?
>Most move tutors have been taken to let Pokemon easily have moves from earlier generations. FRLG only had ones that taught gen I TMs.
You realize HGSS had a few unique tutor moves it introduced, right? I'm glad they gave us the BW2 tutors again, but I'd have appreciated expanding the list some. it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just the absolute bare minimum, which was one of my points.
>Sounds like a specific stat decision, not a game-changing thing, regardless of how bad that is for them specifically.
It's important when playing competitively. I'd say more but no room.
>>
>>319348419
because gen pee is water routes
all water routes
>>
>>319357320
>>319357340
A played out joke, by definition, cannot be ironic. Ironic doesn't mean "saying something you don't actually think".
>>
>>319357121
>Additionally, there's no real difficultly to obtaining a lot of the postgame legendaries. I love how many legendaries you can catch in ORAS, but I would have preferred challenging or unique side quests that lead me to them instead of just wormholes that pop up.
This. It may be too much to ask for, but I dislike how most legendaries are "Go here and press A on the guy". Things like the Regis where you actually had to do things were baller to figure out.
>>
>>319357354
Wow. That's going way back. I wouldn't call baby pokemon worthless persay, they just aren't competitively viable, which isn't a point against them in my book. It may be in yours though.
>>
>>319357339
I agree, and I also think the one with the ACTUAL rule should be lifted because there's no way it would have such an impact anymore. The containment boards fulfill their purposes well.
>>
>>319348419
Gold/Silver were universally loved games and also had nostalgia factor.

Ruby/Sapphire have no nostalgia factor going for them and were meh games back then.
>>
>>319357584
no it should stay
>>
>>319348419
Give give give give, the newer a pokemon game is, the more hand holding they do and the more the game practically gives everything to you. The game is practically japanese call of duty, with an emphasis to rush you towards competetive multiplayer as fast as possible. The single player is now only padding to give those competetive players hold items.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

It's funny how this is one of the few things that still pisses me off to this day
>>
>>319357464
>Ironic doesn't mean "saying something you don't actually think".
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>319357095
>implying I won't be screaming for the game corner and safari zone until the end of time
>>
>>319352830
>That more than anything else is a sign of GameFreak being fucking lazy
Holy shit, someone alert the presses, I think this will be the #1 Pokemon related news story for the new millennium!

What's that? It's 2015, not 2000? God damn.
>>
>>319348419
GS were severely outdated mainly due to the gap between gen 2 and 3. RS, being released after gen III, have dated little since then. Also trust in Game Freak has kind of diminished for some reason, and this game, if nothing else, deserves that lack of trust, cause it had little effort put into it.
>>
>>319357607
>Ruby/Sapphire have no nostalgia factor going for them and were meh games back then.

Yeah that must explain why most people look back on Emerald as one of the best Pokemon games of all.
>>
>>319357464
There's a such thing as dramatic irony you fucking autist. It's knowing information that the audience doesn't know. In this case, the audience is 4chan users, and the information is that you're not a pedophile or animal fucker. If you're going to be a pedantic asshole about this, then I can be one right back.
>>
>>319357693
I forgot to mention that while there isn't a source on this, it seems evident gen 5, while bumpy, tried to combine a fun single player and quick access to breeding, move tutors etc but they gave up on that idea quickly seeing how barebones XY/ORAS is
>>
File: 1359343453353.gif (1 MB, 478x357) Image search: [Google]
1359343453353.gif
1 MB, 478x357
>>319351901
>music remixes were executed way better than HG/SS and FR/LG
I am unfathomably mad anyone could hold this opinion. FRLG and especially HGSS weren't afraid to add new things to the original compositions and experimented with instrumentation etc. The ORAS soundtrack is the most phoned-in, unambitious shit I'd expect to find in Newgrounds Audio Portal's sea of "remixes". Some of them are acceptable, but that's not nearly enough considering what the past remakes did. The one song they truly nailed in ORAS was Maxie/Archie's battle theme. It's even got trumpets for good measure.
>>
>>319357113
You know you're not forced to use mega pokemon.

If anything I like making teams without a mega so I can beat teams with them. It feels very satisfying. And 80% of megas are just min-maxing stat crap and shit abilities anyway.
>>
>>319357695
>Ironic
>happening in the opposite way to what is expected
I wasn't aware using real definitions was >>>/reddit/-worthy.
>>319357914
Dramatic irony is when the audience knows something the characters don't know. Try again.
I just voiced that I thought people used the word too much and incorrectly. In what way am I being an asshole?
>>
>>319358083
Not him but ORAS ost is miles ahead of FRLG ost
>>
File: agsags.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
agsags.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I'm only using scizor and togekiss in heart gold and been leveling them. I even dumped my first poke since the starters suck until you get the johto train and get charmander.

What pokemans u guys suggest?
>>
>>319357467
>implying you solved the regi puzzles without a guide
>>
>>319358083
There is an interview with how current pokemon game production goes and Masuda mentioned a lot of times, a big chunk of the soundtrack is created before anythig else starts. Part of me thinks he should hire someone else to help with composition since his work load as director might be helping with the stagnant soundstracks.
>>
>>319358481
I used the guide because it had a Braille alphabet in it. Did the actual solving myself though.
>>
>>319358481
Just because I didn't have access to a brail library doesn't make it not cool.
>>
File: fuming.png (109 KB, 331x395) Image search: [Google]
fuming.png
109 KB, 331x395
>>319358290
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-AGma5mWc
>>
>>319358290
Not that anon but I really don't see how. Like he said, theres so much going on in the fr/lg music, like the percussion is all over the place in a good way for one. But ORAS is so boring, there's nothinf to disect, very simple composition, of already existing work at that.
>>
>>319348419
Because Gen 2> Gen 3 universally
>>
>>319358083
>>319358290

think there's a few things from hg/ss that are better than the originals, whereas fr/lg and or/as are universally worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruWqFatxcM
>>
>>319358083

I found a few songs memorable in both remakes. But ORAS improved its original OST a lot better. Emerald is my favorite Pokemon game, but the music got really repetitive. ORAS was able to remake some of the annoying songs into something actually good.

This was the most annoying song in Emerald. Made me want to skip going to Lilycove and its department store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ut8s2hdSc

And now its the best song in ORAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5PuoX4zcU&index=59&list=PLr04gtogMLv5oTZFR14G719fQabapBhox
>>
>>319356761
Crystal had the battle tower actually.
>>
>>319352843
B2W2 fixed every problem and complaint I had with B/W and were, in my opinion, a set of the better Pokemon games to be released.
>>
>>319348419
>but HeartGold/SoulSilver was hype beyond all hype and heralded as a masterpiece?

Was there some sort of pokemon announcement today? there a few active themes about this, but in nutshell

>People who originally played Silver, Gold and Crystal like me during their childhood were in college at the time and had a nostalgia boner over the game. Nostalgia was a deciding factor.

>The games were really that good

>R / S Remakes came about the time people had replayed the shit out of them, after nuzlocke popularity and unlike Johto which received a massive revamp with features missing in the original release like a safari, and the pedometer while OR and AS lacked features from Emerald.

Also HS / SS were the last good games in the series, B & W had a story that one could give a fuck about...and that was about it. X / Y are pretty much the equivalent to LeafGreen and FireRed.

But all these new games came out beyond any point any well adjusted adult would consider them playing them even taking into account nostalgia.

Nintendo needs to get a younger demographic, the reason why their games are doing like shit is because their fanbase is well over 20, and all of them happen to be like the pieces of crap they invited to the Nintendo World Championships of 2015. They got such an old, jaded, entitled, and hostile fanbase one of them told Reggie he sucked live, and the rest started shilling Project Autism right down immediately.
>>
>>319357095
Content being removed is always worth a complaint. Games are supposed to get better by having more content.
>>
File: xy vs oras.png (370 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
xy vs oras.png
370 KB, 400x480
>>319356493
>ORAS looks great.
In battles? Yes, ORAS battle scenes actually looked pretty fucking good, I'm not gonna lie. Seeing those before the games' release really got me hype.

Everything else, on the other, was no more than mediocre. The fact that, too me, 90% of the world looked like a minecraft mod really bugged me considering. Like why was every route and cave so blocky. Shit, there were games on the DS that presented their world better than ORAS.

Instead of GF giving the world a better presentation and making better use of the 3DS' capabilities, they just wanted to settle for having some strange tile-based world in a fully 3D game. And this applies both to XY and ORAS.

ORAS looks like trash compared to many other 3DS games, especially other monster-catching titles sadly.
>>
>Steven didn't say "Bring it!"
Out of everything else, this disappointed me the most.
>>
>>319358979
Cool, thanks for the off-topic trivia
>>
>>319359653

>they just wanted to settle for having some strange tile-based world in a fully 3D game.
So they wanted to keep it close to Pokemon's roots? How dare they.

I also find your comments kind of hypocritical. Every generation of Pokemon has looked worse than comparable games on the system. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker was fully 3D and looked great when Pokemon Gen IV and V were still using sprites. And even compared to other sprite based games, most Pokemon gens looked horrible.
>>
>>319358910
It's literally the same thing
>>
PLATINUM
L
A
T
I
N
U
M
>>
>>319359843
Im not the dude you're arguing with, and I didn't read any of previous poats, but I saw that you said gen 2 didn't have X. I let you know that gen 2 actualldid have X. I don't think thats off topic. maybe you were actually genuine with your thanks... the text, it's too much for me...
>>
File: Colosseum.png (174 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Colosseum.png
174 KB, 250x350
>tfw nobody really ever mentions Colosseum and Gale of Darkness
>tfw those are both really good games
>>
>>319348419
Because gen 3 was nowhere near as good as gen 2 so the remakes were nowhere near as good as the gen 2 remakes.

it's that simple really.
>>
>>319356626
I've got em all buddy. Gotta hold on to your Shit naw Im sayin
>>
>>319360403
Yeah if you like your shit slower than molasses.
>>
>>319360403
>xD
>>
>>319360014

Same melody, different synth technology playing it. Its like saying the original Airship theme in Mario Bros 3 and the version in Mario Galaxy are the same.
>>
>>319357894
>most people look back on Emerald as one of the best Pokemon games
The fuck son. You seem to be implying gen 3 is better than gen 2.
>>
>>319348419
HG/SS mostly just added to the game (The only added characters were already nameless Rocket Grunts in the game anyway). This is really just X/Y 2 wearing the skin of Hoenn.

And Ruby/Sapphire sucked.
>>
>>319360460
That's fair. Not being able to speed up text or turn off battle animations is kind of annoying.

>>319360471
Kill yourself.
>>
>>319360403

I couldn't play Colosseum because of how slow it was. I actually timed the game. it took two whole minutes between an encounter, loading screen and throwing out the Pokemon. Two whole minutes before you could even choose your first attack.
>>
>>319360403
>XD
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>319360403
...i liked them
>>
>>319360403
I really liked both of them
>>
>>319355467

>original
>DBZ rip off
>>
What would've made OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire perfect for me
>Take the same games that they currently are
>Add the good Safari Zone from the originals back in, as well as the old Granite Cave, and some of the Emerald locations like the Mirage Tower, Altering Cave, etc.
>Make new puzzles for Sky Pillar instead of it being this dead linear area
>Post-game area in the Sevii Islands, this is around the time of FR/LG after all, they could do some fanwank cameos, you'd soar to Sevii on your mega Lati
>Get to access more floors of New Mauville, put some cool shit down there
>A bit higher difficulty
>Battle Frontier
>Character customization, even if it's only post-game
>Gym Leader rematches
That may sound like a lot of things to add, but it's mostly just more post-game battles and more post-game locations, with a couple new character models for Frontier Brains. There's no reason they couldn't have spent an extra 4 months or so of development time just to round the game off - it was a 12-odd year old game, they should only be adding, never taking away. Both of the previous remakes got that right (although they pussyfooted around with Kanto in Fr/Lg).
>>
>>319351542
>the subway was shit and dropped immediately after gen 5
It's literally the battle tower/maison. It's the exact same thing.
>>
>>319362214
You forgot one thing.

Have a pokemon follow you.
>>
>>319353462
>lying on the internet
The slow downs are well documented dude. With 3D on they happen with like half the moves. You must be one of those people that can't tell framerates
>>
>>319362649
721 overworld models though. The battle models are too high-poly, they'd either have to spend a large chunk of time on lower poly overworld assets or we'd be getting a game running at 12fps

All the things listed in my post could've been done easily, even considering Game Freak's development schedule and laziness.
>>
>>319362887
just use the spmd models
>>
>>319353954
Pokemon's biggest problem is that the main games are stuck in the hands of a developer that's content to just update the same game every few years. They'll add some new pokemon, a few new features that like won't return in future games and make it look better but they're too afraid to do anything else.

I'd love to see a mainline pokemon game made by another developer, see what someone else can bring to the table.
>>
>>319363703
Get whoever made gen 5 back. Those games were great.
>>
Forgetting the fact that Heart Gold and Soul Silver were far better remakes there's also the fact that Gen 2 is still regarded as the high point of Pokemon while Gen 3 is regarded as the beginning of the franchises downfall in popularity. Outside of Japan anyways
Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.