[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the exact point in time where video games stopped being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: video_games_awesome.png (145 KB, 600x367) Image search: [Google]
video_games_awesome.png
145 KB, 600x367
What is the exact point in time where video games stopped being about fun and started being about milking people for their money?
>>
>>319341115
right after your childhood
>>
Atari 2600.
>>
>>319341115
>started being about milking people for their money?
>implying the game industry hasn't always been about milking people for their money
>>
since always you gypsyfuck

fun is the commodity they sell
>>
>>319341115
>xbox live
>>
>>319341115
I know the video game crash happened 20 years before you were born, but jesus fuck anon. It's literally always been this way.
>>
>>319341115
>What is the exact point in time where video games stopped being about fun and started being about milking people for their money?

My guess is somewhere around 2005
>>
since they started charging money for games
>>
>>319341115

Everything involving the Xbox.
>>
>>319341290
I'd argue when it became less about the money and more about Indie/Dev scum living in their Trigger Proof hugboxes things really started to go wrong.
>>
Your high school graduation
>>
>>319341550
>neo-/v/ villainizes indie games and now praise corporate
OhIhatethis
>>
>>319341702
literally anyone in the game industry is absolute scum
>>
ever since the period of my life that I have nostalgia about ended
>>
>>319341550
Pretty much, which is funny since Jack Thompson and his merry band of soccer moms did less damage than an extremely liberal group
>>
>>319341115
Since arcades
>>
>>319341115
when did coin operated machines become a thing
that is the exact point when games went overboard and nobody even stopped it
>>
>>319341961
>>319341953
>>319341702
>>319341115

It seems kind of ridiculous to me that people shit on businesses for creating games people want them to create. The users themselves shape the business model and let the businesses get away with things by voting one way or the other with their money, so it's not really their fault.

I understand that many people like to voice their dissatisfaction, but honestly, for all this whining and complaining, you guys sure aren't doing jack shit to try to stop it.
>>
Microsoft entering the console market.
>>
>>319341115
Arcades
>>
>>319342497
its marketing to all of the normies. they sell part games at full price because they know we normies will buy into that shit as long as its pretty.
>>
>>319341115
is there a worse 3d mario than 3d land?
>>
2006-8

Stuff like horse armor and Call of Duty 4.
>>
>>319342497
I sound like some shitty hipster but the masses generally like what they're told to like.

It's not an exact science since New Coke existed, but generally people (Including us) are more molded by what the companies than we do to their expectations.
>>
>>319342497
Have no clue why i was lumped into this post>>319341953

I'm not whining or bitching. I'm giving OP his answer which he (and maybe your OP so you too) was probably expecting all of us to give him an answer going back 5-10 years at max, which isn't the case. Arcades were definitely built to maximize profits and there are games designed to keep those quarters coming in at a constant flow
>>
>>319343558
Indeed.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.