[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I were to start at TW2 would I be missing on too much? TW1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 5
If I were to start at TW2 would I be missing on too much?

TW1 just fucking bores me to death, I've tried to start it 3 times already and the first 3 hours kill me every single time.
>>
Are you a ghost?
>>
not at all. TW2 is so fucking detached from TW1 that it felt like playing a completely different series for the first 2-3 hours of TW2. Start with TW2.
>>
>>319332986
start with TW1. Once you get passed the first couple hours the story makes up for the awful combat system. Just stick it out. DO YOU WANT ADDA TO BE DEAD YOU FUCK?
>>
The real thing you need to do is read the books
>>
>>319334578
Someone who as in OP's position months ago here.

I stuck with Witcher 1 for 8 hours, and it remained shit the entire time. I then said fuck it, and went to 2, and enjoyed it much more. I am now in the middle of 3, and while I don't know a couple characters because of missing 1, you can always just read the fucking glossary.
>>
>>319332986
Witcher 1 is no good. Read a plot summary and you'll see it has nothing to do with 2 and 3. Play 2 and then 3.
>>
>>319332986

Storywise its barely relevant to TW2 and 3.

You have to at least play TW2 though or you'll miss out on way too much.

There are a few references to TW1 on both 2 and 3 but they are minimal and doesnt matter much at all.
>>
Skip to Witcher 3 and save yourself 2 abysmal RPG experiences
>>
>>319334795
maybe you should consider the fact that you don't actually like RPGs when you think about trying an RPG
>>
>>319335251

They are worse than 3 but they arent bad. In any case if you play 3 first then you'll never be able to play 1 and 2 because 3 improved on the concept so much.
>>
None of the witcher games previous installments matter on the next in any way that matters super important.

There are quite a few nice moments in 1 though but I can see people getting bored with all the running in vizima and then that long ass time in the swamp with the fucking plants.

And was it just me or did you run faster with your weapon out in tw1? I always drew it when I was going places because it felt like it did.Same with doing the enhanced dodge roll in tw2
>>
>>319335251

this
>>
The first game is still the best.
>>
What the fuck? TW1 is good, fuck you guys.
>>
As someone who has played all 3 - Just skip to 3 and read what happens in 1 & 2.
>>
TW1 was my favourite of them all. TW2 felt a bit short and TW3 was ruined by it's follow the gold marker quest design.
>>
>>319335448
>And was it just me or did you run faster with your weapon out in tw1?

Its been ages but I think you're right.
>>
TW3 does shit job at introducing you to the world. It establishes that there's a war and some phantom riders but doesn't going into the backgrounds of any of it.
>>
>>319332986
Just start at witcher 2 OP.
Witcher 1 has very minor story stuff in it.

I remember playing witcher 1 and failing to get through first 3 hours multiple times.
I finally did it and got past first 3 hours, get about 7 hours in and my save game got corrupted.
>>
>>319335775

This to be honest.

1 and 2 are good games but you'll end up really wanting them to end long before they actually do.

Was burnt out on TW2 when I was done with Act 2.
>>
I planned on watching all Witcher 1 cutscenes before playing 2.

I tried playing 1 twice. Intro is so boring and combat is so fucking bad.
>>
Go straight to 3, It's the lesser evil.
Witcher 1 is unplayable and Witcher 2 is linear trash with really buggy graphics and clunky as fuck gameplay.
>>
>>319332986
how about you fuck off
>>
>>319335259
Or you should consider that TW1 combat is fucking atrocious that should've been aborted as soon as it spawned.
>>
So if I read all the books and then skip to 3 I should be good to go? Or do I not need to read all of them? Only 3 is fun to play for me.
>>
>>319336106
But TW2 is objectively better than 3 senpai.
>>
Witcher 1 is a casual filter
>>
>>319336509
skip everything , fuck off please
>>
>>319336572

Haha WOW.
>>
>>319336638
It's also the most complete game with the combat rebalance mod
>>
>>319336638
you're right, reading this thread is sickening. I guess neo /v/ isn't a meme after all.
>>
>>319336638
I like the music and atmosphere. Combat doesnt bother me either. Its engaging while giving a sense of satisfying skill at timed attacks, though it may not be necessarily difficult at all.
Ive read the books though so i already am invested in the world. The games arent perfect adaptations of the world but they are very good
>>
>>319332986
Just a warning, If you were bored with Witcher 1, chances are high you'll be bored with both Witcher 2 and 3. Gameplay hardly improves.
>>
File: 1438467135022.jpg (86 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1438467135022.jpg
86 KB, 640x640
To enjoy Witcher 1 u just have to get to Act 3. First time i stopped at end of Act 2, 2nd time I replayed it and got hooked in Act 3. Witcher 1 is like dwarf fortress, u have to play it more to enjoy it, u wont enjoy it from the start IMO.
But Witcher 2 was amazing, I dont know what u people r talking about. Start from Witcher 2 if u really cant get urself into Witcher 1, but i suggest u stick with it and im sure ull enjoy it.
>>
>>319336725
Too late, already 20 hours engrossed in 3 and going strong. Also own the first book already. You can't stop me.
>>
Witcher 2 was the one I really wanted to play. I'm a completionist and knew 1 was a lot different, but was more than happy to just blast through it to get to 2. Ended up utterly falling in love with 1 and finding 2 to be quite unengaging. I just didn't understand what all the hype was. Maybe because I went Roche rather than Ioverth.

Regardless you can go to 2 without missing much. I'd say that 1 really pays off though, even if it does have it's annoying features.
>>
>>319336487
>click things to attack them
>use abilities
guess Diablo should've been aborted too
>>
>>319336638
Never believed it till this thread
>>
>>319336821
The fact Witcher is respected at all is proof neo/v/ exists.

>Shit on Gone Home
>Praise Witcher
>Same level of quality gameplay to story balance
>>
>>319336975
>I went Roche rather than Ioverth.
Iorveth path was great but it's useless.

considering how he's never and never will be shown in TW3, fucking cdpr
>>
>>319337071
>implying it's even half as fluid as diablo or any other ARPG combat

It's a mix of RPGs and ARPGs and it fucking sucks.
>>
>>319336927
I think it was easier to get into the witcher before 3 was out/being advertised because people expect less of niche games by slavs made with rocks and sticks. I played 1 before even looking at 2 and enjoyed it thoroughly. 2 blew my mind away and I 100%'d it on both paths in like a week.
I put 100 hours into 3 dropped it for 2 weeks then decided to carry on the story and realized I only had like 2 hours left.(I was getting every mark on map and completed it for white orchard and the velen/novigrad area, lightly touched skellige)
>>
Witcher 2 is worth it for Vandergrift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHQDEQwLaM
>>
>>319336193
2 has two separate fucking Act 2's.
>>
>>319336858
I would actually say the games are better than the saga books. The short story books are great though.
>>
>>319337701

I have to agree. The short stories are great, but the books are just standard fantasy to be honest and not particularly interesting if you're savvy in that particular genre.
>>
>>319338249
I like the books a lot because I think I'm actually gay for Geralt.
>>
>>319332986
The fuck is wrong with everyone. I didn't mind TW1's combat at all, like it's just a simple rhythm game with some minor intricacies. The story/atmosphere were great enough to keep me playing for hours.
>>
>>319332986
If I didn't like Witcher 1 or 2 should I bother with 3?
>>
File: gypsy in a witcher thread.png (19 KB, 449x236) Image search: [Google]
gypsy in a witcher thread.png
19 KB, 449x236
>>319337235
The fact that you don't remember the W1/W2 threads is proof neo/v/ exists.
>>
>>319338643
No. 3 is a better version of 2, but it still has problems.
>>
>>319334795
the only characters from 1 that are present physically in TW1 are Geralt, Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan, and Shani. There are some very unimportant character referenced during conversations, like Seigfried and Kalkstein, but they don't impact anything at all. Biggest decision from previous games is whether you let Letho live or not.
>>
>>319338643
3 has much more improved production and gameplay, but you're a pleb so no.
>>
all these little pussies who skipped Witcher 1 lmao
i sat down and blazed through witcher 1 and witcher 2 back to back, took about 40 hours to complete each before i started on 3, none of you have any fucking idea what you're talking about

the gameplay mechanics of witcher 1 are dated, but they're fine
the only thing really bad about that game is the pacing, a lot of the environments are big and quests are spread out so you spend a lot of time running around, but otherwise it's a very respectable RPG
the alchemy system is also superior to witcher 2 AND 3

i actually tried witcher 2 a long time ago, got a little ways past the first letho fight then gave up because i got bored with not knowing what the ufck was going on
but then after i played witcher 1, getting into 2 was not only easy, but way more satisfying

the same cannot be said of going from witcher 2 to witcher 3, which feels like a different world and took me out of it a little bit

tl;dr stick with witcher 1 until you get to vizima, thats when the game gets good
>>
>>319339776
>W1 in 40 hours
good job missing 1/3 of the content
>>
>>319337235
I bet you've never even played any of them. I bet even if you tried to you'd go in with your epic super cynical cool kid mindset determined on hating it, play it for an hour and come back on here to post about how awful it is. You are the neo-/v/.
>>
>>319340397
i made my first runs mostly following the main questlines, once i beat W3 im going to go back and do alternate main story routes/all side quests
>>
i started with TW2
played half of TW1 because it's not as good
then played TW3

was an ok order for me. Yet to finish Broche side of TW2 though, first playthrough was Iorveth.
>>
>>319339776
Same.
I fell in love with TW1, read The Last Wish and then played TW2. I'm close to beating TW3 but I've been holding off to read all the other books (currently on Baptism of Fire). I'm gonna be sad when it's all over and done with.
>>
>>319336572
>if I say the word improperly use the word objectively...it will give my argument more weight!
>>
>>319340843
another book translated early next year though
>>
You have to think of TW1 as a cRPG like Baldur's gate turn-based combat but with one character and a moveable camera. TW2 moved towards something like DA:I combat but with one character where it is more real time combat
>>
>>319335906
Yep. The cat style was the quicker. Man, this game was nice despite the ending.
>>
>>319335448
Yeah, group style with silver sword had the fastest movement speed.
>>
>>319332986
Read at least the 2 short story collections. You'll get so much more enjoyment out of the games if you do that. In my opinion the primary draw of the witcher games is the well realized world and roleplaying as Geralt. Both of these things will be signicantly improved if you read at least the short story collections(especially 3 since it draws on the books more than 1 or 2).
>>
>>319342423
Felt like fast and group silver styles were the same speed, but faster than the rest
>>
>>319338249
Well, I liked short stories more because it really shows you every different place in the world, but I thought the others were great too, even if the ending is everyone dying, but I like how Ciri went into Medieval France, then Arthurian legend etc..
>>
I finished TW1 and moved onto 2 last week. Everyone of consequence either dies in the first game, dies at the start of the second game or is neutral in the first place. Also, i was real good buddies with the squirrels by the end of my run and nobody gives a shit in the second game. I dont think TW1 was of much consequence
>>
>>319332986
TW1 and 2 are horrendously boring. Skip both. The story is irrelevant anyhow.
>>
>>319341052
>I'll meme that will show em ;)
>>
>>319342295
They did really drop the ball a bit with chapter 3, They should have cut down on skellige and velen a tad to give it some breathing room. The white frost deserved more build up and Ciri's confrontation with it was almost insulting.

>I'll just walk into the entropy, lol.
I get that they needed to leave a little bit of mystery to Ciri's fate but they could've given us some explanation of what the fuck the happened.
>>
>>319337701
Nah the games are good but the story, characters, and writing in them are worse than then the equivalent in the saga even though it's just standard fantasy.
>>
>>319338826
No, I do. I'm well aware there are faggots on here that love Witcher, however there's also faggots on here that love Halo, CoD and Undertale as well.

>>319340496
I don't think it's super cynical to actually expect entertaining gameplay in a video game.

There's been plenty of enjoyable games to have come out this year, MSGV, Bloodborne, MH4U, Splatoon, Rocket League, Invisible inc. etc

Then there's a bunch of trash games as well, like Witcher 3, Life is Strange, Fallout 4, Undertale.

For the record, I've played all 3 of the major Witcher games. The primary problem is the terrible combat leads to not giving a shit in the slightest about the story thus making the entire focus of the games a moot point.[/spoiler]
>>
>>319344393
I think you're a lying faggot who likes to parrot whatever the /v/ hivemind dictates.
>>
>>319343778
I'm at the point where I need to go find Uma in Velen, and I have no desire to leave Skellige. That place is fucking awesome. One thing I think Witcher 3 did exceptionally well was the open world- it actually feels like there's a good distance between hamlets and plenty of interesting terrain, without everything feeling cramped or unrealistic like Skyrim (for example).
>>
>>319335851
There are quest marker in the first if I remember well...
>>
TW1 and 2 are garbage.
>>
I quit playing the first one when you have to choose between Triss and Shani...
I just can't decide.
>>
>>319344643
Isn't the "/v/ hivemind" calling MGSV and unfinished terrible game, or that Undertale is GOTY despite being a overpriced game maker RPG that's infinitely worse than Shut up and Jam: Gaiden?

I'll take your refusal to address the point of poor gameplay as a sign that you are a fanboy, though.
>>
File: 1424246094837.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1424246094837.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>319332986
Not really, the first one is pretty fire from a gameplay perspective but at least read the wiki, some of the names will crop up from time to time and it can get confusing if you have no idea who someone is talking about actually is.
>>
>>319345429
Triss, it'd be irresponsible not to. You should have a kid with dangerous magical powers be raised by someone who knows magic.
>>
>>319345864
>reading the witcher wiki

That's a bad idea.
>>
File: 1449512585529.jpg (544 KB, 1242x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449512585529.jpg
544 KB, 1242x1000
>>319344621
Hello Neo-/v/ and my fellow redditor.Here is a tip for you how to use spoiler on this forum,try CTRL+S.
>>
>>319344621
Please explain why the gameplay in the witcher 3 is bad. Preferably without memes
>>
Witcher 1 combat is really rough but it's not too bad once you get leveled enough to power through it. The payoff at the end is much more satisfying than 2 which I felt just kind of ended abruptly. Just started 3 and it already feels like the perfect balance between the two.
>>
>people didn't like witcher 2

huehue
>>
The only parts TW1 have to do with TW2 is why Geralt is working with Foltest

TW1 has more ties to TW3 because of some side quests and Kaer Moren and the bitch you can fuck in the dlc
>>
>>319346672
Witcher 2
The meeting with Letho was great through, you have to admit that.
>>
>>319346468
It's possible I've been posting here longer than you've been alive, child.

Ctrl+S has only been a thing for a few years. I'm far too set in my ways.

Not to mention I copy pasted my post before I deleted it because of formatting errors and forgot to reinsert the open tag
>>
>>319346612
If you aren't creative with your combat you can just turn it into press light attack to win

I love how people love dark souls but shit on Witcher 3 for having the same "roll outta the way and slash until they dead" combat
>>
>>319346932
>shanni
>bitch
Watch your manners, punk.
>>
>>319346993
Did Letho have any intention of framing Geralt or was that just Geralt having really bad luck
>>
>>319347140
Did you play on deathmarch?
>>
>>319346993
It just felt like an info dump to me, plus I let him go so maybe that's why it felt anticlimactic [/spoiler
>>
>>319346612
How about a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFiFzMkqh8
>>
>>319347371
Yes, but I'm giving a general consensus of what /v/ says about the combat

If the combat gets boring doing the same shit, be creative

I'll never use Aard though, they broke that fucking sign.
>>
>>319347270
bad luck at least according to Letho. He tells you that he didn't expect Foltest to let geralt into the chamber with the children.
>>
>>319347893
If that's the case I really don't see why anyone would kill him

His quest in TW3 was fun as fuck.
>>
>>319347582
That shit would not work with any crowd on a high difficulty. You'd be dead in seconds without dodging or blocking.
>>
>>319348120
Especially considering how many times he helped you in the past and the fact that Geralt has no loyalty for Temeria.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.