[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this franchise stand up to GTA? Should I play any of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: saints-row[1].jpg (315 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
saints-row[1].jpg
315 KB, 550x413
How does this franchise stand up to GTA? Should I play any of them? Should I skip any of them?
>>
>>319277248
OMG so RANDUUMM LOL: the series.
>>
Saints Row 2 is by far the best, it's not even a contest. It's got good humor while taking itself seriously when it needs to.

SR3 and SR4 progressively go off the deep end into ridiculous wacky shit, which you might enjoy if that's more your thing, but otherwise they'll just depress you after SR2.

Overall, if you plan to play SR3&4 at all, play them first. Then play SR1&2, because otherwise you'll get pissed off at how such an amazing series became so fucking shit.

SR2 > any GTA. The rest, not so much.
>>
>>319277248
SR1 and SR2 are basically San Andreas 2 and 3.
SR3 and 4 are LOLSORANDUMB MEME EPIC LMAO XDDDD garbage.

tl;dr 1 and 2 are great, 3 and 4 are shit
>>
>>319277248
SR1 is mediocre, SR2 is decent fun, SR3 and 4 are garbage.
>>
>>319277481
This is all you need to know, OP.

/thread
>>
>>319277248
first game pretty much tried to be a serious GTA clone.

second game, they mixed it up with some humor but still a fairly serious story.

third game they just went complete ape shit and made the game a theme park with mini games.

fourth + expansion, they just fucking stopped caring and just went with a complete over the top game.

Saints row 2 is pretty much the only good one. even the customization is better because it had layering clothes instead of just fixed outfits to choose from.
>>
File: nigella lawson 434345555.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
nigella lawson 434345555.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>319277481
This is the truth
>>
>>319277248
I'm currently playing Saints Row 2 without having played the first one and i'm having a great time, it has a fine humor but it isn't retarded
>>
saints row 1 had GOAT multiplayer
>>
>>319277248
They kept getting better and better until GooH
4>3>2>1>>>>>>>GooH
>>
It gets retarded by the third game.
>HURR IM'MA TOILET
>NOW A SEX DOLL
>OH BOY BURT REYNOLDS AWESUM!
>QTE'S UP THE ASS
SR3 had a lot of dumbass characters until you run into Oleg then the dumbassery continues.
>>
>>319277560
I'd like some proof beyond your lolsorandumb epic lmao maymays
>>
Can't really blame them for goes too whacky after 2 because they don't want people view them as GTA clone.
>>
>>319279610
I'm >>319279482 and I admit SR 3 and 4 went crazy with the pop culture references
Just look at the first mission of SRIV, I was laughing but it's completely crazy
>mission is called Zero Saints Thirty
>fuck stealth just kill everyone
>slo-mo door opening a-la CoD
>arm coming out of fire like Terminator 2
>DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES
>climbing a fucking ICBM
>disable a the ICBM in midair and then jump off while giving a thumbs up to the camera
>SRTT main them WUB WUB edition plays while the SRIV come on
>The boss crashes into the oval office and sits on the president's chair
>congrats you're the president now
>>
2 is better than any GTA game

The rest are pretty shit
>>
File: sledgangames.jpg (61 KB, 588x445) Image search: [Google]
sledgangames.jpg
61 KB, 588x445
>>319277481
This
Exactly this

What the fuck happened to Volition, man?

SR2 and RFG were amazing and then SR3 and RFA were garbage
>>
>>319280256
There staffs got replace by memers
>>
>>319277481
SR2 also has better feeling of progression than following entries. You have to work your way up to get good weapons, awesome vehicles and sweet cribs. SR3 gives you insane weapons right from the start, and one of your first missions is taking over a sky-liner to use as a base. I also felt that most of missions in SR3 were kind gimmicky, and didn't really play that well after you got over the initial joke factor. This goes for the distractions too.
SR4 is just a mess, it's very clear that it was originally intended to be DLC. The distractions can easily be cheesed with entry level upgrades, and super powers don't really function that well in Steelport, which wasn't that good of a city in the first place.
>>
I think saints row 3 is really fun.

There's no stupid progression systems and junk to get in your way, which is such a big deal when it comes to open world games, it just kinda dumps you in this playground and you're good to go. Your default guns and cars are phenomenal from the get go.

Sure the writing and story are garbage, but saints row was never a well written series, sr2 included.

Never understood why 3 got so much hate, it's a really fun video game.
>>
>>319277248
I'm sure few are going to agree with this but SR4 was a lot of fun. Being able to fly and have super powers was cool. My only complaint is how small that map is.
>>
>>319280021
I get that there's appeal in stuff like this, but it being in Saint's Row annoys me because second game was subdued, and still grounded in reality.
Sure, you had the wacky side missions where you sprayed people's houses with shit, or stupid gimmicky gangs, but the game also fit in some really strong moments, like death of Carlos or burying Shogo alive.
After the second game series lacked in sincere, strong moments like that. The scene in Third when Matt is left off by Killbane is pretty good but in overall the writing plummeted.
>>
>>319280616
>There's no stupid progression systems and junk to get in your way, which is such a big deal when it comes to open world games, it just kinda dumps you in this playground and you're good to go.
That is one of my main gripes about the game. Half of the fun of open world games is working your way up and being able to do things you didn't have means to before.
If you let players do everything right from the start, how are you going to reward them? Everything that game gives you just loses impact.
>>
Both versions of Steelport are fuggin lifeless post-game, what good is a sandbox if you're all by yourself?
>>
2>4>>1>>>3
>>
>>319281017
That's what bothered me the most when I started playing SR3. It's so quiet in that game. The bystanders don't say much and there is just no background noise game music.
>>
i really wished Saints Row 5 is more like SR2
>>
>>319277481
Dont do this

Play 1/2 first so your opinion on them isnt tainted by the casualness of 3/4
1/2 have rep systems which feel dated if you play the newer games first because they dont have them
plus the story will be in order
>>
>>319282195
>plus the story will be in order

How? The only reference that theyactually play off of the older games is Gat. They ignore prettymuch everything else because SR3 and 4 are completely different games.
>>
Skip GOOH
Skip SR1 unless you're invested in the characters and story
>>
Out of the new ones I enjoyed 3 the most. 4 just felt like a ubisoft game with all the collectible shit things, and gat out of hell had ridiculously good flying but average everything else.
>>
>>319280616
Have you played SR2?
>>
>>319282354
There are missions that throw you back to sr1 times, im assuming most people would prefer to know whats going on
>>
They're just very different games, most likely on purpose. SR2 was essentially perfect, making another one would not only be difficult, it would be redundant, so I'm thinking that they decided to take the series in a different direction. They stumbled during its development and it really isn't that good as a result, but deviating from SR2 is not why it's a weak title. SR4 is even more different, and that's actually to its benefit because they refused to let the game be held back by any of the series previous conventions. They made a free-roam super power game instead of a free-roam crime game, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of the Prototype games so it was right up my alley.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.