[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /v/ what do you do to afford vidya? I drive for UPS and think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 1449388715480.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449388715480.gif
2 MB, 320x240
So /v/ what do you do to afford vidya?

I drive for UPS and think about ending my life every holiday season as I work overtime to give you your anime figures.
>>
>>319248470
>ending my life every holiday season
I know, work in retail, with the recent events I will shout Allahu akbar in the speaker.
>>
I work with people who are sort of like cwc
>>
Just started a new a job in a nursing home after college was a bust. There's reimbursed CNA training if I work there for a year which I will probably shoot for.
>>
>>319249169
Social worker/ special needs tutor?
>>
>>319249312
More of an assistant to helping special needs live in normal homes.

They usually end up in a program like ours when their parents/family can't/won't take care of em anymore
>>
>>319248470
I'm dhl warehouse keeper. I can usually work only 4 hours a day because there are no more full time vacancies. I live in a shitty country and it was literally the best and most profitable job in the area I could get. They pay me equivalent of 250$/month and I can have holiday, while there are plenty of shit jobs 300$/month for working 8 hours every day and no holiday.

You are lucky to get a relatively good job here if somebody dies or emigrates and you happen to jump in his place. I can't really whine, work isn't that hard, I just wish I could be working full time.

Somebody please step on me.
>>
Electrician, senpai. Fuck with wires, come home, play vidya. Ask me anything.
>>
>ups
I worked as a jumper one year. It was ball busting labor but i remember i made enought to pay my bills and neet for like 4months while i looked for a lazy fat ass office job.
>>
I've been doing corrections for a year now. Not ideal but I'm a people person and the inmates make for interesting days. Almost been in a few fights but it's usually pretty calm. Nothing like it is on TV; at least not here in TN. Either going to advance and make it a career or use it a stepping stone to something else. Not sure yet.
>>
>>319251795
Is the work hard? I've thought about going to a traid school for electricians. How much do you get paid?
>>
>>319248470
Cut, engrave, sand, polish, and finish big fucking rocks for vain assholes with too much money.

Mostly marble countertops.
>>
>buying games
lol
>>
Worked in a computer repair shop for two years part-time.

Now working full-time at a small, dependently-run local newspaper.

Comfy job, comfy life, all systems go.
>>
>>319249162
Is it a bad idea/impossible to try to get a non-seasonal position during the holiday season?
>>
Same shit here motherfucker. I make sure those anime figurines get to where they need to go for 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

Please just do us all a favor and don't send mail or order anything. Pls.
>>
>>319252385
You just have to know how and why everything works, and how to read blueprints.
It's stressful if you think too hard about it, fucking up can send 10,000 volts up your ass, but it's fine if you know what you're doing.
I get played a little more than 30,000 for now, but that grows with time.
>>
>250
what country?
>>
I develop software for a shipping/frozen food company. Hours are good, pay is awesome. I get to work from home so the commute isn't too terrible
>>
>>319254350
Take a wild guess. I never mention it because I'm ashamed to live here and to be citizen of this laughable country. I would migrate but I'm too big of a pussy and the last thing I need is dealing with muslims for let's say twice as much since I wouldn't have my own apartament and this is some major factor to reconsider.
>>
File: wtf scrub.gif (2 MB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
wtf scrub.gif
2 MB, 300x199
>>319254957
>I get to work from home
>The commute isn't too terrible
>too terrible
>>
File: 1443254754177.jpg (25 KB, 292x227) Image search: [Google]
1443254754177.jpg
25 KB, 292x227
>>319254978
India?

I'm so sorry anon.
>>
IT helpdesk manager for a small branch of a multinational company. I fucking hate computers and I'm working on my Ph.D. in International Relations Theory, so I can fuck off and be a professor. Good money though, easy as shit around the holidays when no one's at work.
>>
>>319255353
Sorry. I was trying to convey my satisfaction with the job. Nothing beats working in your underwear
>>
>>319255457
poland

Thanks, I really appreciate that, thats the first nice thing this month I heard.

Well, I gotta leave in 10 minutes, sort these parcels and shit. Even tho the pay is terrible I do everything in my power to do a fine job because it affects many people. After all somebody could be waiting for these anime figures.
>>
File: 1445761626438.png (1 MB, 441x603) Image search: [Google]
1445761626438.png
1 MB, 441x603
Getting a CNA job after this semester of college. Might work with it for a while and get some seniority to get a hospital position.

For now I'm broke as hell
>>
I dig, tile, plumb and maintain swimming pools.
>>
File: fdickstuffer.jpg (31 KB, 400x507) Image search: [Google]
fdickstuffer.jpg
31 KB, 400x507
I'm a butcher. 4 AM wakeup time most days, so I can crank the Dick to provide customers with my hot Italian sausage.

I fucking hate like 99% of my customers.
>>
>>319256254
wait wait wait nigga POLAND?

HOW TF YOU MAKE 250 A MONTH IN POLAND?

I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE FIRST WORLD?
>>
I use my college refund check and leftover internship money for vidya.
>>
I work night security at an office building. I just play vidya on my 3DS and browse 4chan, then walk some of the floors or the lot every 30-60 minutes. I'm at work right now actually.
>>
>>319252821
>Please just do us all a favor and don't send mail or order anything. Pls.

If people did that, you wouldn't have a fucking job.
It's the same reason I leave my shopping cart at the return thing in the parking lot rather than take it back myself, because they wouldn't be paying that teenager to take carts back otherwise.
>>
>>319257367
How does one get into security? I assume no manlets allowed?
>>
>>319257519

Quite opposite. Just don't be a fuck up.
>>
>>319248470
Recieve a housing stipend from the gi bill
>>
I work in construction, generic labourer shit. pay is ok because there are many more retirees than young people around here.
downside is a lot of the time I'm too tired to play any remotely high-action vidya, so I end up playing less intense stuff or replaying games I know well. dorf fort and other city-building/management games mostly.
>>
>>319248470
I worked as a UPS driver helper in the holidays long hours and days but pretty chill.
>>
>>319257697
Not that guy but do they seriously accept anyone? I'm a manlet and barely above being considered underweight so I always though it was impossible due to my physical appearance.
>>
>>319251774
What teardrop of a country is this?
>>
usually there's only one or two video games I actually want to play each year so money is never an issue.
>>
>>319258370
Doesn't really matter when they give you a gun/tazer anyway.
>>
Tech Support. I fucking hate it. You think that old "tried turning it off and on again" thing is a joke? Try saying it 10+ times each day.
Having to explain the people that a router isn't a magical box that automatically grants perfect wifi in their huge house is the worst.
>No sir, it's not a good idea to put your router in a metal cabinet in your basement. Yes, I get that that's where you keep all your electric stuff, but it's not doing the signal any favors. Yes, I get that you pay for a product and expect to get it, but the technology just doesn't work that way.

I have no idea what I want to do, but there has to be something better than this.
>>
>>319258534
I'm kinda like that guy

I only buy my games cheap, and I have an enormous backlog
>>
File: 1398135064044.jpg (538 KB, 707x1234) Image search: [Google]
1398135064044.jpg
538 KB, 707x1234
I don't.

I'm a worthless NEET. I've been trying to find a job practically all year now (although I REALLY started trying to find a job about 5-6 months ago during the summer) to no luck.

I haven't played a single game from this year aside from Resident Evil: Revelations 2, which I really liked.
>>
>>319258947
UPS will hire anybody to be a driver helper
>>
>>319258947
Job markets have picked up in most places in the US. Where are you looking? I'm a NEET and I've seen plenty of now hiring signs pretty much everywhere I go and not just for the holiday season. It's been like this since mid summer.
>>
>>319258947
I was unemployed for about 2 years before I found a job.
The only thing worse than having a job is looking for one - stay strong, man. Look into some shitty temp work or something. If nothing else, you're motivated to get something better.
>>
US Marine. Make a satisfying check to know I'm keeping my country safe while fucking foreigners on patrol. Feels good.
>>
Airport security
Best job I've had so far
>>
>>319258947
Try being a forced NEET due to health issues. I feel so terrible for being a burden on people, but I can't do shit about it.
>>
File: AAP-Human-Directionals.jpg (21 KB, 235x220) Image search: [Google]
AAP-Human-Directionals.jpg
21 KB, 235x220
I turn tricks on street corners.

It's not too bad. $10/hr for 4-7 hours on weekends
>>
>>319259359
>every underage girl is randomly selected for private screening
I can't help that they all look suspicious.
>>
i work at in-n-out. it's okay. trying to get a job at an apple store for health bennies. i bought a wii u + smash last year, but had to sell it for rent/tuition.
>>
>>319259065
What is a "driver helper"? Is that like, the UPS guy drives, the helper humps the packages?
>>
I teach future convicts in the ghetto.
>>
File: transport protein.gif (2 MB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
transport protein.gif
2 MB, 256x256
Professor of Biology.

This semester's been so busy; can't wait until the winter break and I can dig into the backlog.
>>
>>319259538
I remember when I was growing up my family was forced to live in this really shitty part of town for a year and a half and during that time I met a whore that worked a normal job and worked as a prostitute. She made almost triple the amount of money as a prostitute than as a waitress for less than half the work. Sure she had no dignity and was probably riddled with diseases, but bitch made bank.
>>
>>319259281
So you're deployed right now?
>>
File: 1449009509637.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1449009509637.gif
134 KB, 340x340
I work part time in a home for people with mental and physical disabilities saving money before beginning my teaching career.
>>
I'm a document analyst for a real estate law firm. Property legal descriptions are proof that humanity is irredeemable. Work is so boring I sleep there everyday, but it pays well and they don't give me shit for my habitual call-ins so I'll stay there.
>>
>>319259560
We're not allowed to search the opposite sex at the place I work
>>
>>319259783
This gif is so satisfying to watch.
>>
>>319259535
I can't imagine. Closest I got was surgery in high school. I couldn't move far for about 2 weeks. It drove me insane. Hopefully things get better anon.
>>
I throw truck for publix

They say they value their employees and anyone you talk to will say "oh wow anon, that's a really good place to work, especially compared to other retail companies"

But yeah no, they could give a fuck about you. You work hard, but if you don't play the politics and kiss ass kiss promotions goodbye. There are no good jobs in this country anymore. I sincerely don't understand how people expect people to live off of 10 dollars an hour and 25-35 hours a week. I haven't bought vidya in forever.

How the fuck are you supposed to survive?
>>
>>319259281
How many mudslimes have you killed?
>>
>>319259936
>he didn't apply as a girl and trap everyday
Wow, you really didn't plan this out.
>>
I help with admin work at a construction company. I hate dealing with people who have money to burn.
>>
>can't find job for the life of me
>get email rejections within 3 minutes of finishing the application
I taper my money between Christmas and my birthday in July as well as not buying products at MSRP with the occasional Nintendo game because their prices never drop.
>>
>>319258370
If some of my fat fuck friends can be a security guard, you can too. At least you'll be able to outrun any real threat, unlike them.
>>
File: ChipsRemake.jpg (289 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ChipsRemake.jpg
289 KB, 1280x720
>want to get a job and start saving up money
>want to do anything but retail, the less stress the better
>charismatic and not a total retard
What should I try my luck with, /v/?
>>
>>319259982
Honestly, this country is fucked. Used to be you could support kids and get by on minimum wage. Nowadays if you're working for minimum wage you better be working two jobs and living with a roommate in a studio apartment because that's all you'll be able to afford.
>>
>>319259982
You're not. The middle class is supposed to die off, and despite what assfaces on TV say, it's both political parties doing it. You could always move to Yurop, but you gotta find somewhere that's not going to be Mecca Jr. within 10 years.
>>
>>319260030
I don't think you understand the screening airports use on applicants
>>
>>319260236
Real estate. If the economy is good, you're set, and if the economy is bad you can work in default/foreclosure and be set.
>>
>>319248470
Prostitution.

Actually walmart crap
>>
>>319259672
UPS Driver will sort out the packages for the next stop, scan them, and then he'll give you the packages for a house on one side of the street, while he hits the other.
>>
I'm a butcher. Never thought I'd end up in this position, but the pay quickly rose to $22/hr and I just haven't had a reason to leave it.
>>
>>319260272
>>319260295

Revolt when? Is that why they're trying to control guns?
>>
>>319258370
>having dreams of becoming a security guard.
This is kinda funny, but also sad. Have you considered selling the rights to your life story to Adam Sandler?
>>
>>319260547
My friend's brother was the same. Just picked it up as a side job while he was going through college. Ended up doing nothing with his degree and is now making $30+ an hour just butchering dead shit all day.
>>
>>319257519 I did crowd management/security for a company that is contracted to handle that side of concerts, festivals or other events in the area. They would pretty much hire anyone not doing heroine during the interview. After doing that for a couple of years, I knew a guy who knew a guy who needed a new night security guard. I just explained the experience I had with security and got the job.

Ive been thinking about looking to becoming an actual security guard for a contracting company, I dont know yet.
>>
>>319260587
Never, or at least not in our lifetimes. Complacency is king, my friend. When people care more about voting than reality TV and celebs it might be possible, but like I said, that won't happen anytime soon.
>>319260607
I did security for a spell. If you're a night owl, like to read/play handhelds, and don't wan to deal with people, it can be a dream job.
>>
>>319259359
You work airport security too?
If you're in new England we should shoot the shit sometime

please don't say Massachusetts I'm awkward
>>
>>319259783
thanks for sharing this gif, doc.
>>
I work at a call centre for car batteries. I basically get used and abused as I have to deal with the forklift side and the occasional solar power side even though I don't get paid for that. I also work with an autist who told a previous employee that I used to work at a haunted house (true) and that I would jump out and rape people (not true). He then said this again because he thought the 50+ year old man he was talking to didnt hear him. baka senpai
>>
I work about 28 hours a week at home, 12 hours at the office. Get paid for 40 hours. So I pretty much play video games all day.
>>
>>319259849
>I work part time in a home for people with mental and physical disabilities
You work for 4chan? Did neomoot start paying his mods?
>>
>>319260758
My concern with being a security guard is that inevitable night some Sam Fisher type asshole decides that a lethal run sounds good. You're just guarding what you think is standard traffic talking to your buddy about last night's game when all of the sudden you get a bullet to your skullet.
>>
>>319248470
Music teacher and manny. It pays college bills food, living and for vidya and comics. Life is okay anons
>>
Autismbux
>>
>>319260030
I should have done this. Nobody can tell me I'm not a woman damn it, I demand respect!

>>319261003
You have a higher chance of getting into a fatal car accident than this scenario ever playing out
>>
>>319259065
Might give this a try.

>>319259095
That's what I hear.

I'm so upset that my little brother just got hired while I've been kinda looking for a while now to no avail. I've gotten a few job interviews since I buckled down and seriously started job hunting but nothing has come of anything.

>>319259174
Yeah, it's rough.

>>319259535
I have genuine mental illness too and my parents try to tell me that I'm helpless and shit, but honestly? I don't think they know what they're talking about. I'm going to try to apply for disability that way, which I almost got one time but I think I could look for a job.
>>
>>319261213
Also that reminds me that I forgot to follow through with a place that I just replied at, some shitty car oil change place.
>>
Was living off benefit money last week, that was $171NZD a week now I'm pick packing at a cold storage for 40 hours a week at $14.75NZD an hour but now I get 1 day to do fuck all.

>tfw good minimum wage
>>
Insurance agent.
It's pretty chill. I can come and go however I want, I have my own office. I just come to work, have breakfast for an hour and then make some calls, go to meetings or meet up with some clients.
And at the end of the year all my contracts are counted and depending on the number I get a nice bonus
>>
>>319248470
I work security. Nothing happens here. I have to work 56 hours a week and I spend less time at home than I do going to and from work. I hate it. I'm lonely, I have to piss in the woods, and i spend two hours awake at home before i have to sleep or come here.

The money is okay, but damn it's depressing as all hell. Give me a (you) and call me a whiny faggot, I just want something human to talk to.
>>
Work at a Kroger deli and I need to get the fuck out, I have old co-workers that have worked there for 10+ years and co-workers my age that are normalfag as fuck. I'm not PC master race but I try to play a lot of different stuff but I had one guy seriously say to me "Dude I got to show you Call of Duty 3's sick graphics on my phone later!"
>>
>>319260607
I'm a NEET that dropped out of college. It's not like I can do much else.
>>
>>319261213
Disability is so whack to get. Some people are just handed it, while others get jack shit. It depends mostly on where you live. Here in Oregon it's a nightmare to get. My buddy has lupus and he can't get approved. My therapist and doctor both recommended I try and get it and even with their recommendations I got denied.
>>
>>319259982
I here you man,

My wife is a pastry chef for Publix and she has a solid work ethic which led her to work multiple jobs in one shift and excel at pretty much everything. Her manager always praised her and wished he had ten of her. Then, when evaluations came around, the regional manager told her manager to give her a mediocre score so that they could justify only giving her a quarter raise so he could get a bigger bonus. If she wasn't in line to becoming an assistant manager and I was employed I would have forced her to quit. Either way, both of us pretty much lost the love we once had for that company and she grew up with them in Florida.

Anyways, I am graduating this winter and have a few interviews. I won't start buying games again until I have a job. One interview is for Cree which I here is a terrible place to work but I think I can deal with mandatory double overtime for at least a year to hammer out my debts.
>>
>>319261469
What state?
>>
>>319261438
You're a whiney faggot anon
I feel the same way you do, i feel almost like crying all the time and i dont know why
>>
>>319261469
>work at wal-mart
>some co-workers have been working there for 15+ years
>only make $4 more an hour than I do
Yeah fuck this. I'm not a smart man, but I know better than this.
>>
>>319261438
Can't you read or practice your art or something while you do it?

Work on that game you've always wanted to make
>>
>>319257367
I too do security, and while I'm at work i play video games.browse the internet and list to music
>>
>>319261585
Soutlake Texas.
>>
>>319260236
Office sales
>>
Nursing assistant
>>
>Work at a small sorting center for UPS.
>10-15 hours weekly; 30 or so hours during peak season.
>Hear horror stories of the inane amount of time employees work at larger facilities.
The insurance mang, doing it for the insurance. That being said , I'd love to somehow get some strings pulled and end up in one of those office jobs for the company down in Atlanta after I graduate.
>>
>work for Amazon as a dev

... sorry OP
>>
I sell vidya at fucking gamestop. It isn't too bad, unless I am doing midnights for some normie shit. I worked the taken king launch and had some fat neckbeard talking to me about all the different currencies in it, and showing me all his progress on their phone app.
>>
File: chemotaxis.gif (2 MB, 280x203) Image search: [Google]
chemotaxis.gif
2 MB, 280x203
>>319259945
>>319260845
Here, have another
>>
Shooting x-rays. Pretty easy work but a lot to study and there are a few odd patients who are hard to deal with but nothing too major.
>>
>>319261469
I work at Kroger as well. Only for a few months now because I'm in between real jobs. I don't understand how people stay here for any longer than a year.
>>
I work the front desk at a hotel and yes, I do hate every guest.
>>
File: i know it's a shit resume.png (27 KB, 781x528) Image search: [Google]
i know it's a shit resume.png
27 KB, 781x528
>>319260236
This was my plan as well. I just wanted an entry-level retail job to start out but no one wants to hire me.

How does my resume look? Is it shit?
>>
>>319261826
I can't believe people do this shit. Are they so starved for human interaction? It must suck to be an extrovert nerd.
>>
File: guard.jpg (64 KB, 676x744) Image search: [Google]
guard.jpg
64 KB, 676x744
>all these guards.
I kinda try it even though it sounds boring as hell, but it's weird that I like RPing as a generic guard in vidya
>>
>>319261907
Shorten it to a single page imo
>>
>>319261619
Right? It's not even hard, it just wears you down.

>>319261646
I read and write, but whenever I look up it's still just me, all alone, away from my family. We can't bring computers here and books are against protocol and I could get slapped for that.
>>
File: 1448602725325.jpg (516 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1448602725325.jpg
516 KB, 878x900
>>319248470
I trim weed all day and roll joints
and its legal
>>
>>319248470
i'm a neet and part-time game tester
>>
Small time LP auditing. It pays beans but it's better than the endless minimum wage jobs available otherwise.
>>
I'm a Data Entry Worker and before that, an Assembly Worker. I can easily tell you that Data Entry is a 1000x better than working in an assembly line. Fuck assembly line.
>>
>>319261907
Anon, is that actually your resume?
>>
>>319261930
I would say about 20% of fucking gamestops customers act like they are gaming buddies with the employees. Some of our regulars are actually pretty cool guys who ask for recommendations and discuss what they have done, but the rest are the equivalent of the annoying kid in school who would insist on showing you his pokemon cards and explaining how to get the most common shit in every game.
>>
>>319259281
pay grade?
>>
File: evaglad.png (275 KB, 432x314) Image search: [Google]
evaglad.png
275 KB, 432x314
>tfw scored internship of my dreams
>tfw it's paid
Just need to survive the rest of this semester.
>>
>>319261003
I work at an office building with nothing of real interest in it. The most I get is kids fucking around, drunks trying to swim in the fountain or homeless people coming into the parking garage. If its raining/snowing I don't bother them. Shit can be rough out there
>>
File: toy11.jpg (104 KB, 677x538) Image search: [Google]
toy11.jpg
104 KB, 677x538
>>319260236
>>319261907

Get an entry-level job in a hospital and work your way up from the inside.
>>
>>319261965
Oh yeah?

>>319262103
Yea. Is it shit? I've been sprucing it up, basically lying my ass off on it to make it look more impressive than it is. It's not like I have a whole lot of job experience anyway so I've basically had to make it look better than it was.

I think I'm going to 'feed' it to one of those online sites like ResumeBuilder and whatnot.
>>
>>319262114
I just look at the floor and don't say anything to the Gamestop employees.
They seem cool but I can't into talking or social interaction so I just skip it.
>>
Im an avionics specialist on bomber aircraft
>>
>>319261872
reminds me of original zelda. i wish i still enjoyed biology like i did before organizational biology.
>>
>>319261907
Keep it to one page. Left-justified, nothing fancy. Use a single, consistent format throughout.
Avoid weasel words that say nothing like 'efficient computer skills' and 'work well independently and as part of a team'. Give examples of what you've accomplished, along with data. Estimate if you need to.
How many apartments have you serviced? When called out by a customer or client, how long did it take you to arrive? How satisfied was your client with your work? What was your GPA?
The gap between 2013 - 2015 is going to need some explanation.
'References available upon request' is a bad, bad thing to put in a resume, either put them in or don't.
>>
Got an engineering job all lined out.
>>
I just lost my job a couple weeks back, but I was a photo editor at Lifetouch. Was mind numbing to spend 8-10 hours a day erasing zits from kids faces for their yearbook picture and the company is run by literal retards who haven't got a clue as to how to allocate resources properly. I don't miss it. Trying to find work in the field I went to school for now.
>>
>>319262293
Why are you making it two pages, there isn't two pages of material.
Are you telling potential employers you can't manage space properly? Tidy up and make it neat and compact. Nobody wants to flip through unecessary pages.
>>
Manual Labor. It sucks but pays well
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (29 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
29 KB, 426x341
>work at CEC
>living the dream fixing and learning about arcade games/hax
>weekend hits
>want to kill myself
>spend saturday nights working ktichen

Never go to the Cheese fellas.
a-at least i get something to spend on vidya...
>>
>>319261638
>Wal-Mart pushed that whole wage increase for virtually all of its employees.
>Employees who had been with the company for more than 5 or so years didn't get shit with the pay increase.
>The majority of the individuals who work on the same shift as I are all two, nearly three times my age.
>None of our superiors are older than 26.
I dunno how they deal with it. There's just something offputting about having a manager who is half my age bringing home almost four times my income.
>>
>>319261951
You're basically just a human scarecrow. If you want actual excitement, work security at a hotel or a theme park.
>>
>>319261213
Lose weight and get /fit/ if you are fat, it does wonders at interview. 90% of the decision is if the employer 'likes' you, and if you aren't a fat sack of shit then it's easier to look like a harder worker too
>>
>>319260115
I hate to say it but start bullshitting your resume. If you volunteer during your high school, try to bullshit it as a job.
>>
>>319262293
Anon, realtalk here. That thing is a goddamn travesty, do not attempt to show it to anyone that you even jokingly want a job from. Get your ass down to your school's career center, it has one, and get a proper resume made. I don't even know where to start with that thing to fix it that doesn't involve me Skyping you and yelling for like 20 minutes. Seriously, career center. Go.
>>
>>319262487
Are you 40 and posting on /v/?
>>
>>319262404
>The gap between 2013 - 2015 is going to need some explanation.

You could have saved a lot of time by saying "any employment gap makes you an automatic unemployed unemployable"
>>
I'm paid $5 for every time I make a Bernie post on /pol/.

I get $30 if it gets 100 replies.
>>
>>319262293
>>319262436

There's an art to these documents, and it's damn well worth investing time into. This is a resume to take notes from, it isn't perfect but it has some shit you should take notes on.

http://images.resumecompanion.com/uploads/cms/file/image/374/mis-manager-resume-example.jpg

>but I'm not with MIS
I don't care.
>>
>>319262289
I've tried. There is a hospital near me that I should apply at though.

>>319262404
But I haven't accomplished anything, Anon. I'm a NEET. So should I just make more stuff up?

>'References available upon request' is a bad, bad thing to put in a resume, either put them in or don't.
Kek, my dad is the one who came up with that shit. My dad is an idiot.

>>319262436
Alright then.
>>
What's the worst thing to happen to you at your jobs, anons? The only thing I've been faced with so far is soul crushing loneliness. Night guard anons a plus.
>>
>>319262629
>didn't have a job because you couldn't find a job after you lost your job?
>guess what now you can't ever get a job
Life sucks
>>
>>319262629
But that isn't true, there are plenty of reasonable explanations, e.g. stay-at-home mother taking care of a newborn, vehicle accident, taking care of a dying relative, etc.

>>319262768
Then get out and accomplish something. There are plenty of jobs which barely need a resume like this at all.
>>
>>319262293
Hello I work at a major finances institution, and I can say this: shorten to 1 page, that anon is right. We have the luxury of 80-100 resumes coming in a day, so the only way we filter it is by throwing out literally anything slightly annoying. Spelling error or formatting error? Gone. More than 1 page? Gone. Uses buzzwords? Gone. Just make it more concise and squeeze it onto a page. It will make it look better by doing that, because at the moment it's so spread out it looks like you don't have shit just cause of all that white space
>>
>>319248470
I'm a Canine handler at a security firm, I'm lazy and don't work very hard but I'm trying to become a cop.
>>
>>319262774
>Constant fear of being fired for something stupid.
>Constant fear of missing something dangerous and being responsible for a national incident.
>Constant fear of being unsociable and awkward.
>Constantly feel like breaking down.

It's pretty much a waking nightmare until I get home
>>
>>319262503
I'm skinny though.

>>319262550
I don't have much to work with though. I basically have no skills and no job experience. I'm not even the one who put that together, my dad did like a year ago and I've been sprucing it up since.

>>319262708
So ResumeBuilder then?

>>319262901
>Then get out and accomplish something
Literally how?

One time I participated in a community charity event although my sister was the one who registered. Should I put that on there?
>>
>>319262964
How do you get a job like that? I'm interested in a job along those lines.
>>
I freelance
Which means I do all sorts of shit, I wrote books, game reviews, articles, app reviews, marketing material etc.

Some guy paid me 30$ to review Guild wars 2 and some screen shots once
>>
>>319262708

Uh, this guy's qualifications are stellar; the formatting doesn't fucking matter when you've got 10 years of experience, have a degree in the field, and graduated summa cum laude
>>
I work evening shift as on-call tech support.

It not that great, but it pays the bills for now. Plus, it's pretty slow most of the time.
>>
File: 1439071543962.jpg (62 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1439071543962.jpg
62 KB, 500x375
I work at a movie theater.

>Everyone online worried about Star Wars tickets selling out, or considering seeing it later so they don't have to deal with crowds
>mfw I get to see it alone the day before it comes out
>>
>>319263073
I just filled out the application, they were and still are under staffed . I'm not even officially old enough to work here, I'm not in America btw
>>
>>319262774
Someone I was helping out misplaced the new camera, and blamed the loss on me. I was this close to getting eaten alive, before the asshole remember where he left it.
>>
>>319262619
No, sir. 23. I understand the need for money, but after graduation if my situation becomes so dire that I turn back to Wal-Mart I'll probably go insane. It's just a palpable difference is all. Like an elephant in the room. Knowing that the oldest employee who works alongside you got his ass filled in lead by Vietnam and now has to take orders from a dude who is barely a year removed from legally being able to drink just goes to show that truth is stranger than fiction.
That being said, I think there's a small amount of anons tipping out at their late thirties/ early fourties who frequent /v/ still.
>>
>>319262774
When I was working security at concerts and shit there were some medicals I responded to that weren't great. Trying push through a crowd to get someone convulsing to the EMTs asap is a pretty big adreniline rush. Also once had a guy try to pee on me because I asked him to stop peeing in the middle of the path and use the restroom he was 15 feet from.
>>
>>319248470
Working part time at OfficeMax while going to Uni. Shit is super chill as we are mostly never busy and I tinker with computers we have mostly.
>>
>>319248470
I repair computers and dispense nutrition advice, but I'm not a registered dietitian.

Enjoy your saturated fat
>>
>>319263054
Anon, change jobs, jesus. The national incident thing makes it sound like you're guarding something cool, so at the worst you could get a guard job guarding something else, maybe a Hotel or something so you can have other people to talk to
>>
I've got a lot of disposable income, but have lost most interest in vidya. I mostly just watch LP videos on YouTube after coming home from work at 11pm-1am, and rarely do much of anything over the weekend but lurk around my apartment. No friends either.
>>
>>319262903
Thanks for the advice Anon.

>>319263137
Motherfucking THIS. When you only have so much to work with, like me, it's a fucking nightmare putting a resume together. I haven't done shit with my life and I hate it.
>>
>>319262774
Working around with a bunch of elderly that never speak a single word of English in a Graveyard Shift for 5 years is already the worst thing that happen in my job. I was fucking happy when they laid me off when the company decided to move their site somewhere else.
>>
>>319263137
Finances guy again
Yes it does kidd ;) if someone's experience mattered that much we would've headhunted them. If the cv comes through the door then they're on a more level playing field where things like formatting do matter
>>
NEET
E
E
T
>>
>>319261537
>lupus
That's fucked. I hope your buddy ends up doing okay.
>>
>>319262774
getting passed over for promotions/more challenging assignments by people you had to train. i'm good at my job too and no issue with work politics. their excuse is that i'm so good at the entry-level stuff they can't afford to put me anywhere else. i can't wait to get my new job in january and shove it in their collective faces.
>>
>>319257496
So you've got those in the US, too? I first noticed them when I moved to Mexico. But in Europe we didn;t have them. Wtf you are supposed to do it yourself.
>>
I'm in my last few weeks as a dishwasher before I move. Hopefully I'll never have to do it again but it was great as my first job.
>>
Any fellow freelancers here?
Speak up niggers!
>>
>>319263402
Have you volunteer anything in your life? Do you have siblings that you work with before, even if it's not a job?
>>
I'm a vidya journalist, I get free games.
>>
>>319263330
I misunderstood what you said in your first post.
The world is a sad place.
>>
>>319261907
Ok, I lied. I'm going full sperg and taking a swing at this thing.

>objective
Useless, drop it. Your objective is to get hired to make money. Any hiring manager knows this and knows anything else on that paper is you bullshitting them. Do not bullshit hiring managers unless you can get away with it, you can not. Drop it entirely. Also, fix your fucking spacing.

>SoQ
Space waster, but necessary sometimes. If you're keeping it, no sentence fragments. Convey the value of the space you're filling, learn business speak to a degree. Either end every line with a . or none of them. Pick one.

>Education
>English major
Can't work miracles here, and you can't spin this shit. Go get a minor or something.

>Experience
This is your bread and butter, so get some or get something to make up for a lack of it. NO FUCKING APOSTROPHES ON THE FUCKING MONTH ABBREVIATIONS YOU CRETIN, ALSO FIX YOUR SPACING HOLY FUCK.
Here's how this shit works: You tell me where, when, and what you worked as. You tell me the goal of your position, you tell me the value YOU added by being present. You give me 3, no more no less, bullets on your specific value adding activities. Each bullet is a COMPLETE sentence, ONE line long.

>References available on request
No fucking shit.
Often this can be left off. If they ask as part of the application process, give them. Mention you can provide them if it comes up in an interview, otherwise you can likely leave it off.

RESUMES ARE ONE PAGE ALWAYS UNLESS YOU'RE SOME SUPER SPECIFIC STEM FAGGOT

>>319263137
It's an example senpai. See >>319263471 formatting won't get you a job, but a lack of it will most assuredly lose you one.
>>
>>319263732
Sure. I did one volunteering thing but mostly I haven't done much volunteer work at all.
>>
>>319248470
At least you aren't working for FedEx. UPS gives you benefits. At least that's what my UPS and FedEx drivers tell me since I work as a shipping and receiving manager.
>>
>>319263343
>had a guy try to pee on me because I asked him to stop peeing in the middle of the path

Jesus christ
>>
>>319262774
Got a first degree misdemeanor for selling to a minor. Lost my job instantly. Almost went to jail. Was shitty
>>
>>319263562
North Americans are lazy
>>
I work for a university's ResLife department, but I'm considering going back to school to become a teacher. Them benefits, yo.
>>
>>319263343
You beat his ass right?
>>
>>319248470
I sell old games. No real source of income otherwise. Pretty unstable but I buy old shit for cheap whenever I rake in a fair amount of shekels.

I need other options though. College is too fucking draining for me to get a part time job or something. I just don't have the energy I used to.
>>
>>319263684
I do freelance graphic design and miscellaneous video work when I have the time.

>lined up for huge contract, just need to finish sample
>fall off wall
>break arm
>can't finish sample
>passed over

Oh well.
>>
>>319260838
No I don't live in the us
>>
>>319257496
At least you put it back in the cart return. Too many people just let it careen down the parking lot or push it into someone else's car.
>>
File: 1434852277592.jpg (145 KB, 807x605) Image search: [Google]
1434852277592.jpg
145 KB, 807x605
Cashier at a liquor store. Shits incredibly boring and tedious. On top of that no employee discounts.
>>
>>319263876
>I did one volunteering thing
Then use that. In fact, try to make it sound like a job.
>>
>>319261559

My experience at publix is that the managers have a posse and couldn't give a fuck about anyone else.
>>
>>319261907
>>319263836

cont.

Kill the whitespace. Whitespace is death. Go join a club on campus, start a club if you fucking have to. Go volunteer anywhere, just fucking do something. That shit will matter, go do it. Get your ass of the computer and add something to society since you don't have work experience worth a damn. If you refuse to get off the computer, use it to make something and get a portfolio started or some shit.

>>319263402
I don't give a flying fuck how hard it was to make it Anon and I can promise any manager that you won't HATE working for won't care either. If it's worth doing, do it right. Career center, faggot. Any website that makes one for you will be shit and they will know you bitched out. Go to the career center, get them to recommend a template and help you fill it out. Anything less is you willingly shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
File: future-amazons-chapter-3[2].jpg (163 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
future-amazons-chapter-3[2].jpg
163 KB, 800x800
>>319248470
I wait until games are under $10 and I buy at most one a month. Some months I buy none.
>>
>>319264047
That sucks
I worked on a book project myself for a while, than my boss had to bail
I was to be paid 700$ for it, I still got paid 500$ thought, which is still very good
>>
>>319264118
How often are your customers visibly drunk?

I want to know because I want to know how strongly the gas station down the road judges me for buying beer drunk at 8 am.
>>
>>319263836
Hey to be fair, my dip-fucking-shit of a father put it together. I should've known he was full of shit when he couldn't get a job years ago when he was laid off.

>>319264328
Thank you.

I'm starting school up again next semester (the deadline is this Friday and I basically have to get my shit together and make sure I do everything so that I can register for classes), so I might go ahead and do all of that.
>>
>>319248470
>So /v/ what do you do to afford vidya?

Power Plant Operator in Germany.

Sounds nice?
I'm underpaid as fuck.

I get 2000€ (after tax) which is fucking nothing.
>>
>>319263925
People are horrible
>>319264032
Had he succeeded, My partner or I would have laid him out and brought him back to base for eviction, but since he missed and was drunk, it wasn't worth the paperwork. Apparently he fucked with some of our guys a bit later and got a cool criminal eviction. I hope the sheriffs threw him some shit.
>>
I just got a job as a translator. It's my dream job and the money is kinda nice but I don't want to buy anything anymore, although my last-bought game was 5 years ago which is BFBC2.

Planned to buy 3DS for MH and RF4 but dropped because I realised I hate grinding. Wanna upgrade my PC too but it's kinda expensive and I fear that I'll make a bad decision. Also wanna buy moe Nendoroids but felt kinda useless to me.

I just don't know what should I do now, since my money is not infinite and easy to come by.
>>
>>319264547
Not many but there's times where they reek of booze. Managers don't give a fuck (as long as they pay) and neither do I.
>>
>>319256254
What the actual fuck?
>>
File: 20150416_150501.jpg (2 MB, 1091x1940) Image search: [Google]
20150416_150501.jpg
2 MB, 1091x1940
Landed a job at a mom n pop music store/school after a year of college that put me in a huge amount of debt by itself. I love the job, but I've been there for a year and a half now and I'm starting to feel like I'm stagnating. Been trying to convince my boss to make some major changes to the store (I'm the only store employee since my supervisor left half a year ago, so I'm kinda the new one) that are finally coming through.

Only gripe is that I'm making $10 an hour with, on average, a 31 hour week and I feel like I'm doing a lot of extra work that should really be paying extra, i.e. product shots of every instrument that comes in. Luckily I've made some amazing connections, like the town mayor, local news station, and an AV-based temp agency owner who offered me some work that I might take up after the holidays.
Also might try to do some freelance photography stuff since I can use the entire store's product photos as my portfolio.
Here, have an anime guitar strap.
>>
>>319252662
>Hate Newspapers
>>
I buy my wants with the money that my deceased father gets after he retired from the airline company he worked as a pilot for for 30 years.

They don't know he's passed away and the money just keeps coming in every month.
>>
Protip to those of you that can't into resumes:

Hiring managers read more resumes than any sane person should ever have to. There are dozens if not hundreds of other people vying for a given position. Turn in a shit resume and they'll toss if for one that doesn't make them hate their job when reading it.

>>319264594
No problem, but cut that shit out and show your old man some respect. He may be shit at resumes, but he puts up and cares for your ass. Take care of your family.

In lieu of a school career center and you can just walk onto almost any campus and get help if ask nicely most libraries and/or community centers will have some similar program to help people out.
>>
>>319264594
Also I really like to write. Should I try to make money doing that? How would I start making money by writing? I want to try getting some amateur comic book shit done and going from there or something.
>>
File: 1449459886982.jpg (145 KB, 1338x716) Image search: [Google]
1449459886982.jpg
145 KB, 1338x716
>>319265148
>writing
>making money

kek anon, kek
>>
>>319265148
Do something with is and slap it on the resume. Amazon self publish something that isn't ass. Nothing wrong with pursuing it, but spread those eggs around in several baskets. Get a writing portfolio started, I think that's what you art types do.
>>
>>319265107
>No problem, but cut that shit out and show your old man some respect. He may be shit at resumes, but he puts up and cares for your ass. Take care of your family.
I have a lot of issues with my dad. Yeah he takes care of me and is pretty nice most of the time, but he can be kinda dick-ish too and he clearly isn't really THAT intelligent either. I swear he doesn't even really help me try to find a job.

>>319265369
Thank you.
>>
>>319265064
Not even being sarcastic. I'm sure your father would have wanted it this way. I know if I was getting money posthumously I'd want my kids to get as much of it as possible.
>>
>>319264652
You sound like a fag yourself
>>
>>319265241
It's sickening. Writers either make phat bank or nothing at all. I've never met a writer that's somewhere in between.
>>
>>319265431
I think so too. It's not like there's anyone else left that would benefit from this extra money.
>>
>>319265107
Fuck you faggot
You don't know shit, maybe his dad rapes him or something like that
Fucking nigger
>>
>>319264946
Well, if you paid off those debt, then you're still better off than some anons out there. Instead of working in a job that you like, they are flipping burgers or working in an assembly line WHILE having a huge amount of college debt.
>>
>>319263980
>North Americans are lazy

Actually friend, it's a design flaw of the system.

If everyone took their cart back, there would be twice as many people walking from the parking lot across the road, making traffic slow down even more as each car has to stop for pedestrians.
The incidence rate of people being hit by cars would climb by virtue of increased numbers of people walking around returning carts.
The number of people having their groceries stolen would also go up.
Getting in and out of parking spots would slow down, and in civil engineering you have a phenomina called "The Roadrunner Effect" whereby small changes, such as adding one more person to a freeway, or one person slowing down for a moment when they normally wouldn't, that cause giant rippling effects across the whole system, the slowdown in the parking lot would likely extend to the connecting roads as well.

Conversely, under the present system, you have one teenager running around collecting carts (who, by the way, waits for parked cars to finish their maneuvers by virtue of his status, rather than the other way around in the case of shopper pedestrians), pushing a line of carts back to the store in one big go.

>lmao u have the autism!
Looking at the big picture is the opposite of autism.
>>
>>319265395
We call that "family" in the real world Anon, and to be fair it isn't his responsibility strictly speaking. If you're planning on daddy to get you a job, then there are several frats you could join. Starting out sucks for everyone, get some gumption and be willing and ready to work hard and opportunities will happen. Be ready for them.

>>319265649
Naturally there are outliers Anon. Go talk to someone about what happened to you if you need to.
>>
>>319248470
>tfw just want to repair computers and not deal with the public

halp
>>
>>319248470
>I work overtime to give you your anime figures.
That was you? Thanks
>>
>>319265539
It's weird how every once in a while this author gains massive popularity and becomes extremely rich, yet their writing skills are shit-tier.

Is there anyone who came up with something like the Harry Potter series but for some reason their books didn't kick off? What did Rowling do that made it work?

It certainly wasn't her writing skills, yet she's managed to make herself worth over a billion dollars from writing shit-tier fantasy about kids who wake wooden sticks around and a gay wizard.
>>
>>319266046
Back of the house repairman at any given computer place. Shoot for mom and pop shops or local chains. Avoid Geek Squad unless you know for sure the GM and GS manager are both cool. They never will be.

Start up something where you make house calls for basic repairs and virus removals. World is your oyster and such.
>>
File: 1449302118543.jpg (97 KB, 766x808) Image search: [Google]
1449302118543.jpg
97 KB, 766x808
>>319266051
you better fucking enjoy it asshole
>>
>>319266283
>Geek Squad
Pieces of shit they are. I've seen them charge an elderly couple for a fucking Windows update.
>>
>>319262774
I used to have this food sampling job. Basically, other companies would pay the company I worked for to promote their products then we would go to stores and demonstrate them. It was pretty cool, actually. There were occasional days where you'd have to promote a movie along with whatever it was you were handing out to sample.

On one such occasion, I was given the task of promoting Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted. I know fuck all about that movie, but I was sent a clown wig to wear and a gigantic cardboard "insert your head and have your photo taken" standup with all your favorite Madascar characters on it. So I gave out apples all day (it was during the week, and I saw almost no children that day) while the occasional person would berate me for having to wear the wig or try to have their photo taken with me rather than the standup. Of all the things that made me just decide to leave early, it was a biblically ancient man who came up to my cart with an extremely bitter look on his face. He ignored me, thankfully, but he did see all the ridiculous advertisements surrounding my cart. One word spoke to him louder than all the others in the movie's title. "EUROPE?" he shouted in disgust. "I'll tell you about Europe." And then he proceeded to tell me all his misconceptions about Europe while I forced myself to smile and nod.

I went and took a "break" for most of the rest of the day after that. Looking back it's hilarious to me, but I really hated my job that one particular day.
>>
>>319266027
>gets called out for being delusional af
>digs the hole deeper
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>319265873
Good thing I'm trying to become a teacher. In my state, they have a program where they forgive your loan if you're a teacher.
>>
>>319266498
Gotta hit them install rates to bonus out bro. Blame the management, no one there is doing that shit because they want to. Believe you me.
>>
>>319266223
It's blind luck it seems
Lovecraft comes to mind
He's probably the most over rated writer of all time
>>
>>319266591
Take your meds
>>
>>319266223
>It certainly wasn't her writing skills

Rong. She, like that Games of Thrones faggot, like lots of other successful writers, writes at a level that appeals (both in style and substance) to the pure lowest common denominator market.
>>
>>319266862
What about Orwell, Herbert, or Bradbury? They're high-tier writers yet they are very popular authors.
>>
>>319267150
Go on the street and see how long it takes to find 20 people that know them vs Rowling.
>>
I make youtube videos for vidya games and make around 65k a year.

I haven't had to upload anything relevant in years and the revenue keeps trickling in.
>>
File: smug_edward_norton.gif (1 MB, 288x314) Image search: [Google]
smug_edward_norton.gif
1 MB, 288x314
>>319248470
>buying games

why aren't you doing your part to hasten the much-needed Second Games Crash, /v/?
>>
>>319267292
Hm, okay, you got me there.
>>
Any security anons have a cool uniform? I always thought a lot of security guard stuff looked neato.
>>
>>319267378
I get tired of you "Fight da powa" peckerwoods.
>>
>>319266283
already tried applying to geek squad

Got my A+ and around a years experience troubleshooting computers/repair

dont even get a response
>>
>>319267339
What's your channel anon?
I'm curious
If you don't want to share, at least say what content you made, posted and how many videos you have on it, how many views and stuff
Cheers
>>
>>319267406
I would totally be a cop if I wasn't such a chicken shit. Also, a friend of mine who was a cop said they actually don't get paid much. It's the detectives that make all the dosh.
>>
>>319267542
Cops are just legal criminals
>>
>>319267495
You're better off. Trust me.
>>
>>319267495
I feel like the CompSci and IT fields have gotten really uppity lately. Like, if you don't make insane programs 24/7 in your spare time, then you ain't worth shit to them. I guess that's why I'm changing gears.
>>
>>319267621
I just need any experience

but i guess your right

any idea where to learn stuff for tech support jobs

database/server/ or even wiring up an office with Ethernet
>>
>>319267607
This thread is about jobs, anon. Not what classes you have in highschool.
>>
>>319267150
They are the JK Rowlings of their time.

Good writing, really excellent exquisite writing, the kind that people make careers out of analyzing, ticks all the boxes (and this probably isn't all of them): rhyme, meter, depth, substance, AND is a timeless tale (or more likely retelling) that conveys something about what it is to be human.
>>
>>319267807
Shush gaylord
>>
>>319267607
>wah I was driving high and they caught me :((
>>
>>319267650

It's an employers market.
>>
>>319248470
Thanks for that Poison figure, m8. I gave her some extra hot glue.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.