[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: TEW.jpg (591 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
TEW.jpg
591 KB, 1920x1200
Is this worth playing?
>>
this 8 is worth playing
>>
>>319242330
yes, it's awesome.
>>
File: Kitty Pasta.jpg (84 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
Kitty Pasta.jpg
84 KB, 437x437
What did you like about it?
>>
>>319242780
it's a nice ride
>>
>>319242330
Yes.

It's a lot like Resident Evil 4 but without the QTEs and the retarded attache case.

The agony crossbow is seriously the coolest weapon in a video game since the gravity gun. And while the game isn't perfect (the story is actually pretty retarded) I really had a lot of fun in the rooms where enemy respawn infinitely, and I would craft crossbow bolts on the fly, kill as many people as I could, and collect as much goo as I could. Which reminds me: the upgrade system and collectibles in this game are great.

And new game plus is like a completely different game. With fully upgraded everything you can pretty much forget playing stealthily and go full Rambo the second time around.
>>
I loved it, but it's not for everyone.
>>
>>319243492
>>319243279
So if I enjoyed the previous resident evils and maybe dark souls I will enjoy it?
>>
>>319243725
yes, the game borrows a lot from other games so i thin it's not for everyone but I think you should give it a try.
>>
>>319243725
It's more like silent hill meets resident evil. I loved it but i'm the kind of guy who can forgive other shortcomings if the environment and atmosphere are on point and the evil within really nails those areas.
>>
>>319245312
damn that they really wasted box head character in this game, lots of potential
>>
>>319242330
Everything I heard about it said no.
>>
Yes. I loved it. Very intense from start to finish and great gameplay. I liked how it blended so many different types of horror and gameplay elements throughout to keep it fresh while maintaining a coherent theme and aesthetic.
>>
Dead Space and Alan Wake are both far superior RE4 clones, prove me wrong.
>>
>>319243725
it's not like Dark Souls.

it's not like the original Resident Evils either. But if you liked Resident Evil 4 - Revelations 2 then yeah, you'll probably like The Evil Within.

the stealth mechanics are actually a lot like The Last of Us, so if you liked that gameplay you should like this.
>>
>>319242587
>>319243279
>>319243492
>>319244360
Do not listen to these mad men

I may be biased but I literally 100% do not see the appeal of Evil Within it's hot garbage

It's all atmosphere and no substance to back it up with annoying gameplay, the only good parts about it are the atmosphere and the leveling up system which unfortunately does not make for a really good horror game

It's tedious, plodding and nonsensical both gameplay and plotwise and the story that you're forced to sit through is weak

Instakill enemies, traps, bosses are bullshit

Items you can miss forever and can only get in New Game Plus is bullshit

Worth playing if you can get it for five bucks, otherwise fuck no to Evil Within
>>
>>319242330
I played it on PC around halloween this year for the first time, and I thought it was great. The DLC fucking sucks and is a waste of money, though.
>>
>>319242330
It's pretty fun, though it has little replay value and certain mechanics can be quite frustrating. It has potential though, I'd like to see a sequel eventually.
>>
No, it isn't very good at all. People say the atmosphere makes up for its shortcomings but I disagree entirely, you can play Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill 1-3 for way better horror games. TEW doesn't offer anything new to make up for it's shortcomings.
>>
>>319245739
You can turn off the letterboxes.
>>319243725
>dark souls

I don't even see how you can make this comparison.
>>
>>319246243
>to make up for it is shortcomings
>>
TEW is nothing compared to RE1-4 and SH1-4.
>>
>>319246410
i did not mean to put that apostrophe there
>>
you'll either love it or hate it i loved it but one of my friends hated it
>>
Are the DLCs good? The girl is hot, that's for sure. What about where you play box head?
>>
>>319246443
This. Though I'd personally consider it over the newer RE and SH games any day of the week.
>>
>>319246639
3 DLC, the first one was actually amazing and legit spooky, the 2nd one felt meh, the third one is actually fun but very short.
>>
File: daily havoc.jpg (21 KB, 306x555) Image search: [Google]
daily havoc.jpg
21 KB, 306x555
>>319242330
It's not bad by any means but it's definitely a poor man's RE4.

One of the main things about RE4, and what made it really fucking good, was both the limb-based damage and the consistent aiming system. Since the game was so heavily based on targeting specific limbs, the game needed a way to reduce the RNG and fuck over skillful players; thus, with the lazer sight in RE4, you will always know where your bullet will land when you fire.

The Evil Within, however, features a typical crosshair like most shooters, which means that your bullet can random land anywhere within its parameters. I cannot tell you how many times I missed a headshot from my pistol despite the fact that I couldn't be any more dead on. The RNG aiming system works just fine in most shooters but not one with both limited ammo and such a slow fire rate.

This would make the game nigh unplayable were it not for the game showering you with bullets from the halfway point onwards but making up for your missed bullets doesn't help speed up fights and fucking hell does this game love dropping you in arenas with tons of enemies.

If it were for this poor ass combat system, The Evil Within would be absolutely stellar but since it's what you do for the vast majority of the game, it really wears down the overall quality. That being said, the boss battles are pretty great and, thankfully, they're all huge so you never have to worry about missing with them. Atmosphere is excellent, music is great, the story is completely nuts and kind of retarded but not enough so that you won't want to keep playing.

I also want to throw out there that while the upgrade system is great, as others have already mentioned, those bonus lockers in the back are totally broken since they can be infinitely and easily rerolled to give you massive experience points. It's highly recommended not to use it but it's crazy that they left such a broken system in the game.
>>
>>319246301
I leave them on because it saves like 15 frames and my pc is shit.
this was before they released that patch that improves performance, I just played the dlc and now I can run it in full screen mode.
>>
>>319246639

they are all worth your time. the third one is a little disappointing, but still kinda cool
>>
>>319247160
>>319246443
Absolutely.

RE4 > Classic SH > Classic RE > TEW > Modern RE > Modern SH

It's good by today's standards but it doesn't stand up to the best in the genre. It's about equal in quality to Clock Tower 3, if you played that, although they're both really different games.
>>
The story is a bit convoluted and the gameplay variety begins to stagger in the last few chapters, but otherwise it's a great game. Definitely worth.
>>
>>319242330
Yeah. Not particularly challenging, but the atmosphere is great, there are some great visuals here and there, the gameplay is a slightly sluggish RE4 without the flourish of the melee attacks, unfortunately. There's one section early on where you can sneak around and stealth kill a ton of dudes, and that's a lot of fun. Boss fights are kind of a mixed bag. Weapon upgrading is fun, the crossbow thing is a pretty great weapon.
>>
>>319248526
this is the best opinion I've ever seen
>>
>>319246023
Dead Space is better, but Alan Wake a shit.
>>
>>319246023
>Dead Space and Alan Wake
>better than RE4

Absolutely not even close.
>>
>>319249620
>reading comprehension
he said they are better RE4 clones than the evil within.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.