[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do game developers play their games better than gamer's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Video-game-developer.jpg (38 KB, 448x299) Image search: [Google]
Video-game-developer.jpg
38 KB, 448x299
Just thinking out loud here for any game. I think dev's would play better since they know all the games secrets and have many hours logged already.
>>
>>318766390
No they dont
I know some and they re so terribly at their own games
>>
Not necessarily. Look up Absolute Virtue from FFXI.
>>
>>318766390
games dont have secrets anymore
its called DLC
>>
>>318766390
The QA people for the games play them the best. Devs barely play their own games most of the time because they're so buried managing some microscopic aspect of it, because that's their one job assignment.
>>
i'd say most of the devs don't even play their own game these days, and if they do they are disgusting casuals anyways
>>
No, they are without exception shit at games.
>>
>>318766390
Strangely, no. They tend to be bad even at their own games. There's a big difference between knowing how to program and actually being skilled at a game.
>>
>>318766692
This. Kojima even said he doesn't even bother playing V
>>
>>318766390
We don't. If you know how the game works then playing is a tedious torture.
>>
>>318766390

>Just thinking out loud here for any game. I think dev's would play better since they know all the games secrets and have many hours logged already.

Complete opposite.

QA are typically godlike, but you'd be amazed how few hours devs will log in a game.

I've spent years on various games and never played more than 20 hours of them, fuck i've worked on half a dozen tv shows that i've never even sat down to watch, same again with movies.

As terrible as it sounds, my time is precious, I don't tend to waste it on tv/games/movies, I read, travel and sculpt.
>>
Lol of course not.

I mean I don't blame them considering the fact that they're working on the physics, glitches and spaghetti code awhile the players are arguing about why Goku isn't in the game. But i tihnk it should be mandatory for every developer to play at least an hour a day their own game wether you're in the balance department or not. If you're on the team, you should be as passionate about the game as your intended target. Even if you suck, you could appreciate what you're doing wrong and pay attention to details you as a dev might have missed.

Like special effects or particles. I know most devs dont play their own games because a LOT of game suck on this department. They focus so much on the values working that they often leave the actual experience and illusion of the game aside.
>>
In some of the Castlevania games they have those tactics options that let you see how to flawlessly beat a boss. Someone had to record those right?
>>
>>318767087
It's kinda like a chef that eats canned food at home because he doesn't want to deal with work-related bullshit at home
>>
>>318767216
After an hour a day for two years you'll probably be less passionate. Imagine putting 600 hours into a 15 hour linear game, most of which is on buggy barely-playable alpha levels.
>>
>>318766708
>implying decision makers code
No.
>>
Are there any skilled developer?
Probably some japanese devs
>>
>>318766708
Absolutely nothing strange about it. While devs do play their games to get things right, testers are generally the only people with enough time to get good at the games, as stated already by a handful of people in this thread.
>>
>>318766764
no lol he played it constantly to provide notes for the team, that's how he works. that's how it's worked for every game he directs.
>>
>>318767087
>As terrible as it sounds, my time is precious, I don't tend to waste it on tv/games/movies, I read, travel and sculpt.

Lmao
>>
Back in the NES days that may have been true. At that time programmers also did the the QA but now we have other people do that. I doubt doing something like that would even be feasible on today's AAA games.
>>
>>318766390
From what I understand, Street Fighter QA guys are pretty much barred from all competition.
>>
>>318766581
>I know some and they re so terribly at their own games
Which ones?
>>
>>318766390
It's bad practice to let a software engineer to QA testing on his own product because he is not only biased by typically won't turn up bugs that people who don't know the software quite as well.

The same is true for game development. Developers and level designers don't understand how the "every-player" will try to play their game. In fact, many players are "better" than the devs in the sense that they are more clever and tend to find exploits during testing that the devs wouldn't ever try because they think "on rails" about how they designed things to be a certain way.
>>
Depends. For example if you're a level designer then you're probably gonna get too good at your own levels because you play them all the time when testing them and usually end up making the levels too hard. I heard some level designers circumvent this by holding the controller upside-down, going one handed etc.

In modern times the levels don't end up devilishly hard because they bring in people from outside the studio to test the games and then adjust the difficulty based on their feedback.

The lack of testers in the 80's/early 90's is why games were so hard. Programmers tested the games and they were of course very good at them.
>>
>>318766390
The standard times from DKCR and the gold+ from DKCTF are the staff/playtesters times and some of those are pretty hard to beat.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.