[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say what you will about balance issues but Marvel vs Capcom 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
Say what you will about balance issues but Marvel vs Capcom 3 at least captured the essence of its characters a lot better than Smash ever could.

Just what is with Sakurai's interpretations of characters? is it just laziness?
>>
Who knows. He claims he tries to be as faithful to the characters as possible, but then does shit like

>Ness & Lucas's entire moveset
>Wario's entire moveset
>Giving Wolf a landmaster..?
>Everything about Bowser up until 4
>Falcondorf

and so on. Yet on the flip side, Dark Pit just HAD to be a seperate character because muh sacred treasures
>>
>>318428110
character interpretation is probably what I like most about PM
they did the characters right and I wish Sakurai had just shamelessly ripped them off for 4
I want my fucking shoulder bash
>>
File: neogaf.png (67 KB, 1915x376) Image search: [Google]
neogaf.png
67 KB, 1915x376
>>318428110
>>
>>318428545
>Dark Pit just HAD to be a seperate character because muh sacred treasures
This pisses me off a lot especially since Alph never used purple or white pikmin or flew Olimars ship
>>
File: duckhuntgunman.jpg (1014 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
duckhuntgunman.jpg
1014 KB, 1920x1080
>>318428545
>Ness & Lucas's entire moveset

I like the way their moveset is. They're basically designed to encompass their game as a whole.

This is something Sakurai does with certain characters and I don't see the issue with it. http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/chrom-not-in-super-smash-bros/

>Although Robin doesn’t use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn’t the first time I’ve given moves to a character that they don’t use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

He just wants some of these characters to represent/cover their entire series or games as a whole. When you look at Duck Hunt, the dog never kicked explosive cans from Hogan's Alley or summoned wild gunmen but it works in Smash because the character is supposed to represent the NES Zapper and the Light Gun Series.
>>
>>318428545
>>Ness & Lucas's entire moveset
It's really not even Ness' entire moveset, just his specials really, and his FS. Otherwise, Ness is good.

>>Falcondorf
Ehh, he actually does fight like Ganondorf does in the more recent Zelda games though. Thing is, Sakura didn't take his decloning far enough. He needed to be even further from C. Falcon than he is now.

With Dark Pit, he was only included because they had development time left to include him in. Even he could be decloned further really, once you consider the sheer number of different weapons and weapon types in KI:U. They could give him a club or something.
>>
File: 17_umvc3stuff01.jpg (293 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
17_umvc3stuff01.jpg
293 KB, 1280x720
>>318429013
that's all well and good but this game which still has traditional fighting game archetypes but is also true to those characters exists.
>>
>>318429780
That neogaf guy's point is that everyone likes to complain and nitpick about some characters like Ganondorf and Wario not exaclty being up to snuff while the majority of the roster IS faithfully depicted. Especially when you look at Smash 4's newcomers like Ryu, Mega Man, Cloud, Shulk, Little Mac, and so on.

And honestly Wario's moveset does make a little sense when you read this

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/11/wariofart1/
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/11/wariofart2/
>>
>>318429353
I can agree with this, but it still leaves out a few oddball choices. Captain Falcon had absolutely nothing to work with beyond the original moveset he stole, Ganondorf suffers as a result of that, and a lot of Zero Suit's tricks are pulled out of thin air, especially the rocket boot things

I get that generic punches and kicks are inevitable in a game like this, but I would at least like some context for why they went along with these choices
>>
>>318430141
What do you want Falcon to do, literally drive in the car the entire time?

When you think about it, Sakurai basically designed him to be like an F-Zero vehicle in human form. The speed, the power, the fire, etc
>>
File: 1448337817258.png (425 KB, 855x430) Image search: [Google]
1448337817258.png
425 KB, 855x430
>>318428110
It's totally laziness. Why the hell do you think so many moves are recycled? Why do samus and captain share the same uptilt? Why do ike and shulk have effectively the same move arcs? It's all so they can cut and paste and do as little work as possible. UMvC3 doesn't have clones, yet they have a bigger roster, and each character has more moves than any of the smash characters (also what the hell, balancing issues? UMvC3 is 100x more balanced than smash, but please smash babies tell me how Vergil ruined your shit cause you can't block) The game reeks of lazy design, but I guess that's to be expected from a party game
>>
File: 1402293330260.png (361 KB, 450x396) Image search: [Google]
1402293330260.png
361 KB, 450x396
>tfw Disney killed off UMvC3
>there can be no new DLC, or even new patches
>the comp community is dying off because the meta doesn't fucking change
>we're just forced to deal with Morridoom until major tourneys start dropping the game
>>
>>318431673
That's what mods are for.
>>
>>318431929
Good luck finding several people who could design a complete rebalancing that fixes UMvC3 so drastically that EVO uses it, let alone programming it for a console game.
>>
>>318431673
Why did Disney kill it? Too manly for their ceo or something?
>>
>>318431673
>hulk/haggar/sentinel wins evo
>one morridoom in the top 8
sure is dead meta.
>>
>>318432482
I think it was because they want everything to be inhouse or more closely controlled by them
>>
>>318432482
When Disney bought off Marvel, they let all of the Marvel game licenses expire. That's why Deadpool, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and the Marvel Vs. Capcom series were pulled off of digital stores, and why there haven't been any more DLCs/patches for UMvC3 outside of the costume DLC and already-developed Jill and Shuma-Gorath DLC.

For another fun fact, Magneto is the only character that does not have an alt costume available in UMvC3. His outfit is based on his House of M attire, which was based on the King of Spain, Juan Carlos. Spain got butthurt so Capcom just removed the option to buy his DLC, despite the fact that it exists in the game's assets, and is still accessible via a character select glitch.
>>
I want a DK revamp in the style of Yoshi

The buffs Yoshi got are fucking silly 30% off a good dair is crazy.

Remove the random crap DK has like the landing of his upB or the odd charge times or punch
>>
File: 1404165420477.jpg (70 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
1404165420477.jpg
70 KB, 744x615
>>318433591
>they changed DK's up B so that it has a longer startup on the ground and doesn't hit behind you
>>
>>318433851
Did they make DownB not longer break shields in a patch? I've not broken shield with it in months
>>
File: 1443364412873.png (130 KB, 274x385) Image search: [Google]
1443364412873.png
130 KB, 274x385
>>318434358
who knows!? nintendo doesn't release patch notes!!!
>>
I wish they'd added Cecil or Terra instead of Cloud.

How good is Dissidia?
>>
>>318435345
I liked Duodecim
Nothing amazing as far as I remember but it was enjoyable, had good music and fun characters
>>
>>318434916
>splatoon gets detailed patch notes with videos 'n pictures
>smash gets "gee, maybe something happened. who knows?"
why
>>
File: super-smash-bros-ryu.jpg (59 KB, 688x387) Image search: [Google]
super-smash-bros-ryu.jpg
59 KB, 688x387
You have to admit, other than Mac, the Sm4sh newcomers were done very nicely. As well as Roy's Sm4sh incarnation.
>>
File: 1438998435416.jpg (17 KB, 145x294) Image search: [Google]
1438998435416.jpg
17 KB, 145x294
>>318436119
Because Splatoon is competitive and Smash 4 is not.
>>
>>318436746
damn, stole the words right out of my mouth.
>>
>>318436746
Sm4sh is more competitive than your CoD clone will ever be.
>>
>>318430967
>>318428110
Sakurai said in a interview that when he chooses a character he demands creative license to make a moveset based on the character and to and thigs of his own and for a fighting/party game its very balanced and almost all the characters faithfully represent their character or series in general except for one or 2 characters (Falcon and Ganon, Wolf landmaster, (fuck) Pitoo cant think of anyone else) but seeing Ryu, Megaman, Shulk, Villager impresses me with how much they went into detail.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.