[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it make me a pleb if, having never played Fallout 2 when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: Fallout2front.jpg (258 KB, 800x832) Image search: [Google]
Fallout2front.jpg
258 KB, 800x832
Does it make me a pleb if, having never played Fallout 2 when it released, every time I try to play it I just can't get over the old graphics and interface?
>>
>>318381983
Yes, yes it does.
It's a fucking isometric 2D game. 2D games don't age. Install a mod to run it in high resolution or something.
The combat is turn-based too, which doesn't age either.
But most importantly it's just a better RPG, instead of a gutted FPS/"RPG" Bethesda games are.
>>
When exatly do I get good at Fallout 2?
What the fuck is up with those random encounters that have 5+ bandits/highwaymen/whatever, all equipped with guns that can kill you in a single round?
Are you supposed to do them only at high levels or something despite them showing up as soon as the Den areas?
>>
File: zoltan.png (9 KB, 76x98) Image search: [Google]
zoltan.png
9 KB, 76x98
>>318381983
That's like the textbook definition of a pleb.
>>
>>318382147
>>318382248
well no it's obviously an objectively better game, but it all just looks unappealing and I can't believe in the world I'm in because it looks like garbage
>>
>>318382243
It's not shitty design, it's you that's bad at videogames. It's the worlds best RPG as long as you play a few very specific roles.
>>
>>318381983
You're mixing cause and effect. Not liking FO2 because of the graphics doesn't make you a pleb, you're a pleb so you don't like the graphics.
>>
It still holds up because of the art style
>>
>>318382329
>believe in the world I'm in
FO2 isn't about immersion, never was. You got meme'd
>>
>>318382339
No, fallout 2 fucked up when it came to the random encounters, even when compared to the first game. You will often be killed before you get a chance to move during the first few hours.
>>
>>318382329

You just need to try to move past it and let the world and story draw you in until you're no longer bothered by it. I had a similar issue with Planescape until the world drew me into it.
>>
>>318382450

What the fuck are you talking about? If anything its easier than F1. Did you somehow roll a character with 1 luck, 1 perception, and 1 agility with no survival skills so your ass was raped when you stepped out of the village?
>>
>>318382363
faces are garbage m8, uncanny valley and all
>>
File: ctpax.png (13 KB, 64x95) Image search: [Google]
ctpax.png
13 KB, 64x95
>>318382248
>>
>>318382536
How are you supposed to survive an encounter against five guys, 2 armed with automatic shotguns and 3 armed with assault rifles before you get decent equipment? They will deal over 100 points of damage in a single turn, before you get a chance to run or even more if you have low combat initiative. Fallout 1 only gave me hard encounters in super mutant territory, towards the end of the game.
>>
>>318382329
Sounds fair enough to me. It's an old game.
>>
>>318382703

I've replayed this game well over half a dozen times since it's release and that situation may have happened at most once or twice. It's possible you just got unlucky, or wandered into an area not meant for you, or rolled a character with bad perception, dunno man.
>>
>>318381983

To be fair, the beginning of Fallout 2 isn't really that great

>temple of trials
>nearly die to ants
>come out
>talk to crazy shaman man
>nearly die to plants
>aunt yells at you

Game picks up a lot after the first town though, or after you head to Navarro and pick up the power armour
>>
>>318382536
>What the fuck are you talking about? If anything its easier than F1. Did you somehow roll a character with 1 luck, 1 perception, and 1 agility with no survival skills so your ass was raped when you stepped out of the village?

Entirely possible if you have the Restoration mod, since Gary Oak always appears to shrek your shit up when you're not ready.
>>
>>318382860
Most people have the problem of getting destroyed in random encounters right up until they get the power armour, I basically had to save scum whenever moving through the wasteland.
>>
>>318383006
This. It's a good game, but I really can't blame anyone for not liking that slow and boring start.
>>
>>318382243
Just run from everything pretty much, especially if they have guns. Even at the end of the game I died immediately to the enclave power armor random encounter and sometimes even super mutants. Everything else is easy once you get the power armor.
>>
>>318383006
>>318383353
The temple lasts about 15 minutes max, its not that bad.
>>
Yes. I have no problem finding Atari 2600 games I like and that's way before my time.
>>
The early random encounters become pretty easy once you get a 10mm SMG. Point blank bursts with that weapon chews though those bandits.
>>
>>318383410

This. I legitimately have ADHD and have no trouble suffering through it.
>>
>>318383678
It only gets really shitty if you have no melee or unarmed skills
>>
>>318381983
yes
>>
How do I make a good melee character?
Even knifes seem to push enemies away
Also what the fuck is the point of high STR and Heavy Handed?
Melee bonus damage is shit because it's a dice range instead of a flat plus, not to mentiont he fact you do utter shit damage if not aiming with melee
>>
>>318384636
Melee isn't really all that good, especially in F1. In F2 you really need the power glove on a melee build.
>>
>>318384721
Eh well, I guess I'll just play ranged then...
I tried unarmed but apparently it's the same shit as melee until you get that power fist
I suppose you can win one from Francis?
>>
>>318384721
I found unarmed very useful throughout the game, especially since I was constantly running out of ammo at the beginning. Later when you get the power fist it's fun to blow people up.
>>
>get FO2
>get high-res patch
>patch
>can play in my 1920x1080 but it's forced fullscreen
>borderless window option apparently doesn't work in the res patch .ini
>nor do the text upscale options
>have to squint if I want to play

>use sfall options instead
>can play in a fullscreen windowed lower res which lets me read things easier
>but I lose map visibility (so instead of seeing a huge chunk of the map in one go, it's like it's zoomed in far more and I can only mouse over to certain areas before I need to be closer with my character to see)

Is this normal? Sorry if none of this makes sense. I just want to play with the most optimum experience possible.
>>
>>318384968
>I was constantly running out of ammo at the beginning.
How's that even possible? The game throws so much different ammo at you.
You must have tried snipe enemies with burst shots constantly or something.
>>
>>318385069
>How's that even possible? The game throws so much different ammo at you.

Not at the beginning, it doesn't. But over the course of the game it does (pretty much like every RPG ever).
>>
I do have a question, I played FO2 a while ago with a restauration mod (and didn't finish it) and I had some weird encounters which felt a bit out of place, like being attacked by dudes holding miniguns and assault rifles and shit. At that time I was still equipped with very simple/early game gear but since my character wasn't too bad I managed to defeat them (had to reload and save during combat though). After that I was really well gear and the rest of the game felt really easy, which made me want stop playing it (on the assumption that something was broken)

Is that supposed to happen or was it just the mod?
>>
>>318385301
I had so much ammo I had to throw it away, because it has non zero weight.
But then again, my character was specced into small guns, which you are mostly limited to in the early game.
>>
>>318385396
You might have happened upon an Enclave patrol or something. You can encounter them around their base. There's really nothing stopping the player from wandering somewhere they really shouldn't.
>>
>>318384975
Please respond.

I'm mainly concerned about the map thing. I can deal with playing it like it is now as long as I'm not permanently losing visibility or some such.
>>
It doesn't at all, Old fallout games have aged like garbage, isometric on this day and age is the poormans rpg and there is a reason why Fallout games will never go back to being isometric, it's just unbearable for modern standards and the only games that still use it are just low budget/niche shit.
>>
Does anyone know how the rooted perk and the blitz perk work? Does the rooted perk work during a blitz?
>>
>>318385491
Nah I didn't wander around, if I remember correctly I was on my way to vault city or the village you cover in shit
>>
>>318382703
Psycho + some decent armour.
then you can punch them to death.
>>
>>318386107
have fun being addicted after one use
>>
>>318386107
Champions don't do drugs.
>>
File: 1390947042800.png (191 KB, 318x360) Image search: [Google]
1390947042800.png
191 KB, 318x360
what are some other good isometric rpgs like fallout from around the same time? I played through and beat 1 last week and it's one of the most fun games I've ever played
>>
>>318386474
Wasteland 2 is recent but it's an isometric post apo rpg.

Otherwise you'll have to go for the D&D stuff like Baldur's gate
>>
>>318381983
its aged better than 3.

The interface bar the inventory is good.

Start with 1 faggot
>>
>>318384975
why not just play 720p full screen?

>it's like it's zoomed in far more
thats how it was meant to be played.
>>
>>318386474
ie engine games.
Arcanum
Divinity
Diablo (not really an rpg)
>>
>>318386474
Jagged Alliance 2
>>
>>318387172
What I've basically ended up doing, yeah. I get the zoomed in bit but is there no option in-game to zoom out/in?
>>
at least your not playing fallout 4 right anon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Pswl4ySJ8
>>
>>318386474
Planescape: Torment obvs
>>
>>318387339
nope

I dont think zooming in and out was much of a thing outside of RTS at that time
>>
File: file.png (3 MB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 1919x1079
>>318384975
jealous?
>>
Guys I really tried to get into Fallout 1 but but it's just too archaic for me. The mouse controls are really weird and unintuitive and uncomfortable (I'm a console pleb, sorry) and I have arthritis. Plus I don't really understand how the battles work, I was lead to believe they were going to be turn based like Final Fantasy but it's completely different, it's more like a tactical game or something. Even just moving my character around to talk to an NPC or check something seems difficult and imprecise. Also I ran out of ammo and have no money and some knife I bought does like 1 damage and misses 60% of the time. The menus are also annoying forcing you to click a tiny red button instead of being able to click normally. I was excited to play and I watched a ton of Let's Plays of it and it looked really fun but actually playing it feels like a chore and it sucks the fun out
>>
>>318387004
>>318387236
>>318387254
>>318387438

Do any of these have a similar level of freedom and choice in how to handle situations?
>>
>>318381983
I think you're turning your nose up to it for no good reason. People say that shit about all sorts of old games, but a lot of them actually control very well and have great art styles that make up for the low-resolution, low-detail graphics. You're just being unfair to the game, plain and simple.

If you can find some better reason, we can talk about it. "It's just, like, bad! Guh!" is not a reason. People say that Morrowind has aged poorly and yet the art style still looks great and the textures are quite detailed. That game is slow and clunky, but that is relative to period games, not just modern ones. Look at Arcanum or Planescape: Torment, they art assets are lovingly-crafted and beautiful regardless of the technology displaying them.

Fallout controls great and Action Points combat is fun by any standard. The new Divinity game plays just like Fallout and it is fun just like Fallout. I don't even really understand your complaint, so yes you are probably a pleb.
>>
>>318387539
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>318387539
It's fun. That's my answer.
>>
>>318387607
Baldur's Gate 2 and Torments do. The others are barely rpgs (wasteland 2 is an rpg I don't really remember having big decisions to make).

Kotor 1&2 would be the obvious suggestion if you're looking for multiple quest option since you can be either a murderous sith or a goody jedi but it's not really isometric
>>
>>318387607
>>318388526
A lot of the choices in Torment are fucking weird because it's "sci-fi fantasy" and there's lots of metaphysics and stuff. Very easy to get in your character's head because he doesn't fucking understand it either.
>>
>>318388828
what about Pillars of Eternity or the Shadowrun games? Do they have choice of any kind?
>>
>>318388995
pillars is shit
>>
>>318388995
Not sure about PoE but Shadowrun Returns is mostly a straight run. You can approach problems in multiple ways and the turn-based combat is kind of like low-stakes XCOM.
>>
>>318381983
I tried Fallout and Planescape, but just couldn't get into them for shit. I put it down to just not liking Isometric RPGs, but maybe I just have shit taste.
>>
>>318389325
more like pleb taste but its good you at least tried
>>
File: edgeworth2.jpg (26 KB, 425x426) Image search: [Google]
edgeworth2.jpg
26 KB, 425x426
>>318381983
No. Some games aged poorly and Fallout 1-2 are on that list.

There are some older games that I played and enjoyed when I was a kid but can't really go back to.
I'm not talking something like a NES platformer, but clunky games that generally don't look that good.

Many people on /v/ might not want to admit it, but games have progressed in terms of game design a lot in numerous areas. So once you get used to those things going back to the inferior stuff is annoying.
>>
>>318389514

It's like going back to dialup after witnessing google fiber
>>
>>318389514
Then why do so many people still like them now?

>games have progressed in terms of game design a lot
the latest fallout games have been a clear step backwards in terms of role-playing and player choice. The first two games also have far better writing, and atmosphere I would argue.
The newer games have progressed technologically and some ways in terms of gameplay, but they are worse in a lot of other areas.
>>
>>318389325
They weren't designed to appeal to everyone, thats part of what makes them good. Its fine that you don't like them, you don't have shit taste.
>>
>>318389226
Returns is shit but dragonfall allowed the player a lot more choice
>>
>>318389514
HATE PROGRESS
>>
>>318389514
I only played Fallout 1 and 2 this year and they are really great games, haven't aged poorly at all.
The graphics and sprites are good and charming, the interface is not hard to get a grip of, I played without manual or anything and I got the hang of it in the first cave.

What in Fallout 1 and 2 aged poorly?
>>
>>318389514
The UI has aged like milk I am sure, but the games content and core mechanics are still solid. Graphics are subjective and a good litmus test to see if someone is actually interested in gameplay or just some casual who wants to see pretty/cool/scary/etc stuff.
>>
>>318382703
You're not.

You see kiddo, in older games you weren't put into the shoes of a Wasteland God. Sometimes you had to run from a fight you couldn't win.
>>
>>318384975
>>318387532
The best resolution to play Fallout 1/2 on is 1280x720

You shouldn't be playing the game like Rollercoaster Tycoon with it zoomed all the way out.
>>
>>318389514
Fallout 1/2 haven't aged poorly at all. I played them for the first time in 2013 and Fallout 2 is now my second favourite game of all time.

They haven't aged poorly and they're not clunky, you're just an idiot or underaged.
>>
>>318392854
But they kill you before you can run, like I said. Why did you even write a reply before you finished reading my entire post?
>>
>>318382703
you can run away from random encounters, right? if you go far away enough from the zone?
>>
Don't sweat it, isometric RPGs are universally bad.
>>
>>318393196
Have you even played the game? You could have at least read my post. the player can die in a random encounter before they even get a chance to move. And if you do get a chance the first move, it takes several turns to reach the exit grid anyway, so you'll probably still die to 5 guys with automatic weapons.
>>
>>318393248
wow you've played every single isometric rpg? i'm impressed
>>
>>318393248

Landstalker is good
>>
>>318386474
Age of decadence, best RPG 2015.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.