[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 29 too old to switch careers and start studying Video Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: AP-nola-ochs-oldest-graduate.jpg (38 KB, 512x395) Image search: [Google]
AP-nola-ochs-oldest-graduate.jpg
38 KB, 512x395
Is 29 too old to switch careers and start studying Video Game Design? I'm fed up dealing with IT bullshit.
>>
grow up faggot. Every profession has bullshit.

Youre not to old but is it worth it? Video game design is dead. Look at all the indie devs. Is that something you wont to be apart of
>>
>>318364535
This.

If anything study it as a hobby. Don't put all your eggs into the game design basket, its not practical in a traditional sense.

Good luck
>>
When I was in school I saw 40 - 50 year old dudes trying to become teachers. It's never too old to do anything until you're either crippled or in a home.
>>
>>318364221
It's never too late to do anything that requires mental skill.

>>318364535
>Look at all the indie devs. Is that something you wont to be apart of
That's a diverse group. OP could make some quality products like Lisa or Undertale.
>>
dont be an idiot and take up "Video game" college/uni course, its fucking bullshit

employers dont hire you because you a degree in video game design

you have better luck having a background in architecture or something like that, e.g. Halo, Ass Creed level designers both have background in architecture

you can try pick up 3D modelling/ rigging/ software programming cuz they value that more, having a background in -TOPIC- is only a bonus
>>
Unless you go indie video game dev is fucking hell. Literal slaves.
>>
hello?
>>
>>318366241
Hi
>>
>>318364221
No. I know somebody who transitioned from IT to game design at about that age. You might have to suck it up and start with an internship or something if you cant impress them on a design trial through. Since you are IT at least you can probably show that you are computer literate, but programming experience or a degree would really help.
>>
>not just getting a solid career elsewhere and studying game design on the spare time
>>
>>318364221
if you want to get paid minimum wage while having to work from 8 am to 12 am go ahead anon.
IT is heaven compared to what game developers have to deal with
>>
>>318364221
Any age is too old to start studying video game design. What are you even thinking nigger? Do you want to be laughed at and penniless? Get a real job.
>>
>>318366573
>>318366784
>>318366827

I can't see myself doing thus fucking shit for the rest of my life, man. I really want to become the next Miyamoto.
>>
no one can teach you "video game design"

you either learn programming or 3d modeling / animation
>>
>>318364221
Switch to Computer Science. Do some bootcamp bullshit since you already have prior experience and launch yourself into an entry-level job then hop until you land at a company you like.
>>
>>318364221

You should go for it, I hear that they pay a lot of money for people to tighten up the graphics on level 3.
>>
>>318364221
video game design is a total scam, the real major is computer science if you actually want to make games
>>
>>318366895
Thats not true either, just go on any sight dedicated to game development and you'll be able to pick up concepts related to game design theory
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
>>318364221
Most of the people who made games in the "golden age" of vidya didnt have a degree in game design.
>>
Stick with IT, you will learn things that help with gayme design
>>
>>318367029
The best thing is to get experience trying out designs and then watching players play them. Most of the designers I have worked with started in another department and just got their feet wetter and wetter in design over time.
>>
File: grandpadogstomachsword wield.jpg (601 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
grandpadogstomachsword wield.jpg
601 KB, 1200x1600
IT is a decent enough career path.

Get out of the mind set that you have to suddenly toss out your current career choice to look into other interests like video game design. Don't suddenly piss away your efforts made in college because you find a job boring, because jobs are generally boring.
Yes, even game design. ESPECIALLY game design.

Use your free time to study it if you really want and whatever, but don't suddenly jump ship for something that may not pay off at all and leave you in an even worse state than you were before.
>>
>>318364221
Watch Unity tutorials on YT. You can make a shitty game in like a month if you work at it. DO NOT go to school for game design it is a huge waste of effort/time/resources. College is fucking useless for everything except competitive stem shit which make you kill yourself.
>>
>>318364221
With a background in IT you could easily land a job as a QA tester at a mobile studio.

And once youre there just ask for work related to what you want to do and you will get given it.
>>
>>318367195
Thats true for pretty much anything, but a little solid theoretical backing can go a long way.
>>
File: 1446677027199.jpg (161 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1446677027199.jpg
161 KB, 1000x1200
Why is everyone so negative about game development here? It's not because you failed at making a game that everybody else is doomed to fail too.
>>
>>318364221
Game design isn't really worth it.
Friend did a course and she's sitting on her ass doing nothing. I guess it depends on if you have anything to show whoever you're applying too.

Don't know many places that ask for certificates.
>>
Since you're asking a bunch of degenerates with no future on /v/ about your life, I'd say there's no hope for you.
>>
>>318364221
>too old
It's never too old. Don't believe the retards that say if you do that you're a loser that failed at life, because that takes courage and dedication, and that's not quite the values of a loser. If anything, a loser is the guy that will keep crying his life is shit but never doing anything about it.

But shit son don't make such terrible choices. The video game industry isn't as great as it sounds. Sure, you work on vidya, but you don't quite play it, and most studios are held by the balls by shitty publishers. Unless you join a small and cool independant studio, I mean an actual studio like CCP or Croteam nor just "nerds" in a basement, it's going to be shit.

But IT can open a lot of doors. Before reconsidering your field, maybe reconsider your job, there's a ton of shit you could be doing.
>>
>>318364221
Do you have a skill? programming, composoing music, writing, directing (anything for production), drawing?

If so, getting into the business is not impossible.
>>
If you're in your 20's you're still relatively young. You still have a ton of time to do stuff. You might feel old but you're not.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.