[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is literally nothing wrong with this game apart from the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: No-Mans-Sky.png (472 KB, 790x419) Image search: [Google]
No-Mans-Sky.png
472 KB, 790x419
There is literally nothing wrong with this game apart from the fact that it doesn't try to appeal to the highest common denominator by adding the same things every space game and their mother did. And the popping textures.
>>
As a game this is gonna be garbage
As something to look out while you're on drugs, it might be pretty good

If it was ever going to come out, that is.
>>
Have they actually shown any gamplay yet other than flying around?
>>
Nah, you will all find something to complain about with this game like you do with every other game.
>>
>>318311702
>Hello Games just shows off what the game is, and is honest about it just being about exploring
>''LOL, ITS THE NEW SPORE'

I don't get it. Nothing is being overpromised.
>>
>>318311984
Yes.
>>
>>318311702
Actually, it's pretty hard to judge whenever there is something seriously wrong with the game since it's not outside yet.
But from what one can gather so far, the biggest problem of the game is that a lot of people completely misunderstood the actual ambition of the game.
Because the ambitions of the game aren't really all that high or crazy. It's to be a pretty simple and fairly casual game with simple mechanics and relatively simple execution - a basic exploration/survival-light/trading network that dozens of games have done already. The only really unique element is the procedurally generated life, but that isn't actually all that difficult to implement as long as you keep your ambitions fairly low.

The problem is that people somehow assumed it's promising to be a god-game of everything and now they are complaining that it's not that. Which is bizzare.
>>
File: 1416782398974.gif (773 KB, 260x221) Image search: [Google]
1416782398974.gif
773 KB, 260x221
>>318311702
>highest common denominator
I don't think you should be using phrases you don't understand.
>>
>>318311702
Well it's not even out yet so fuck your opinion
>>
>>318312398
no they haven't
>>
>>318313119
Yes they have.

Why do you lie anon ?
>>
>>318313395
They haven't released anything besides the flying around shit
>>
>>318312286
>limitless content!
>infinite possibilities!
Literally the new Spore
>>
So you're saying I won't run into my friends?
>>
>>318313557
>type "no man sky gameplay" on youtube
>see some guy walking around a planet, shooting at a rock
>close tab

Guess you were wrong then.
>>
>>318313753
>content is big enough that it'll never create two exact copies of something in two differents places because it's all math
It's infinite alright, but is it fun ? Dunno.
>>
>>318314434
Definitely not fun or interesting after seeing 5, 6 planets. That's not how you make exploration in a videogame.
>>
>>318314641
So you're saying you can never enjoy a scenery you know it hasn't be handcrafted for you ? Alright anon, guess you might as well pass that game.
>>
>>318314925
>Walk simulator
>Literally nothing to do than look at stuff
>On a slightly different mountain with two flowers on the opposite side from the last planet.
Woah, such an amazing quality content right there.
>>
>>318315202
You're clearly exagerating, can't you make your point without relying on approximations ? If anything it makes it look like you simply decided to not like the game and are looking for justifications.

However, I'm going to assume your next post is going to be something like "I don't lie, you do", despite the fact that a simple google search will prove you wrong, so ultimately your attempt doesn't weight much.
>>
I said this in the last thread.

Never make exploration feel like a chore.
>but the art and scenarios!
>You can fly, shoot at ships, explore planets and upgrade your equipment.

Sounds good, but still, its a game. The average user will catch on to the repetitive shit.
>>
>>318316146
>Having an ego so big you repeat your same buzzword-filled post that doesn't say anything remotely interesting twice

Pathetic. Why don't you get a trip while you're at it ?
>>
>>318315202
this
>>
>>318311702
>it's full price
>>
>>318311702
Because you don't "do" anything
>>
PURE SHIT SIM
>>
File: spongeman.png (75 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
spongeman.png
75 KB, 400x313
>on a planet I see a blue deer

>fly a few galaxies away
>mfw I see a fucking red deer

based devs
can't fucking wait
>>
>>318317928
Looks pretty cool actually. Shouldn't be hard to code something to make sure similar planets aren't next to each other
>>
>>318317075
>Ego
>Buzzword

That doesn't sound like ego, that just sounds like a stubborn guy sticking with his opinion.

Your reply have more ego than what he's showing.
>>
File: 1437340625009.jpg (1 MB, 1278x3600) Image search: [Google]
1437340625009.jpg
1 MB, 1278x3600
*drool*
>>
File: JNaJWBC.jpg (104 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
JNaJWBC.jpg
104 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>318318724
>Giant animals.
>Not taking advantage of the theory that more oxygen on the planet made giant insects.

Dropped!
>>
>>318318369
You don't know what ego is gaylord.
>>
>>318318951
Do giant worms count ?
>>
This game is going to crash and burn so fucking hard.
And that is so sad... maybe it will inspire to do it right.
>>
>>318319135
B-but I want to fly on a giant bee though or ride a grasshopper. :^(
>>
>>318319135
Worms also have no lungs, so they should count.
>>
What's the difference between this game and Elite Dangerous besides planet exploration?
>>
File: View image.jpg (120 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
View image.jpg
120 KB, 610x343
>>
I fully expect that when this game is supposed to release they instead reveal a kickstarter for it, saying it was too ambitious and they need more funds.
>>
>>318319476
Space isn't made of emptiness that take 20 minutes of listening to radio to cross.
>>
>>318311702
honestly this is looking like what Elite or star citizen should have been, the only thing that put me off a bit was in one the latest videos when they said the intergalactic police will show up on any planet
>>
no mans sky will fail because its procedural, i would prefer exploring like 10 hand crafted planets and the rest coming as DLC or something instead
>>
>>318320307
>game should NEVER EVER try new stuff
>better stick to the basic jewing everyone is better off with.

Fuck off
>>
>>318320686
just saying that when the appeal of your game is exploration its gonna fail when every planet is procedural
>>
File: 1499129656864.jpg (209 KB, 1900x1175) Image search: [Google]
1499129656864.jpg
209 KB, 1900x1175
>>318319476
>>
>>318320307
That's stupid. That would piss off most people than now

They should of added something else to be with the exploring and other elements with the game.
The game contains so little elements to interact with the giant universe, it would end up failing.

However since the game is not out, they probably adding more and keeping us in the dark with shitty game streams from IGN.

The hype for this game have died down however.
>>
>>318321278
Good thing you're a video game expert anon, it's a wonder why they haven't hired you
>>
This sounds like a higher-budget, more flashy version of Noctis with more stuff to do. And Noctis was interesting to play, so I'll get at least some interesting play out of this.

It's not going to be the 11/10 LAST GAME YOU'LL EVER NEED. But I'm mildly looking forward to it.
>>
>>318321331
>E:D has depth and is run by greedy people
>NMS is a meme game
Seems accurate to me
>>
File: Ursaring_by_stardroidjean.jpg (93 KB, 378x578) Image search: [Google]
Ursaring_by_stardroidjean.jpg
93 KB, 378x578
>>318312456
AMBITIONS LOW? ARE YOU HIGH? youve seen them talk about this game right? the map alone is ambitious.
>>
Shilling in this thread is off the charts.
>>
File: 6qMQ2mq.gif (2 MB, 316x311) Image search: [Google]
6qMQ2mq.gif
2 MB, 316x311
>>318312456
>outside yet
>>
Since the game is not out and they're keeping us in the dark.
Lets cross our figures that they gave IGN the beta and are tricking us users all along.

MAKE ME BE WRONG ABOUT THIS GAME.
>>
>>318318238
>a few galaxies away
>right next to each other
uh
>>
>>318311702
Providing that the procedural generation is the core aspect of the game, they should have worked to develop a more deep terrain generation system. I want complex cave systems, rivers that leads to huge waterfalls and sights that really stand out apart from the generic mountain-valley-lake theme all those planets have.
>>
>>318322428
Ever heard of this neat little concept of "procedural generation"? It's a neat little thing, it allows you to generate a near unlimited amount of stuff in a near infinite variation through a basic set of relatively simple rules.

Seriously, folks, are you this fucking clueless about game development? The size of the universe is not a technical problem - it's something a ONE guy with little previous experience in coding has figured over the course of one year in much greater scale several years ago.
>>
>>318311702
Get your head outta your ass OP, we don't need this Time Wasting Simulator 2016orwheneverthisshitiscomingout
>>
>>318323859
>He seriously thinks all vidyas aren't Time Wasting Simulators

Kill yourself
>>
>>318311702
> highest common denominator

anon, don't try and be smarter than you are, your retardation is shining through.
>>
>>318325546
I know you're probably an autistic faggot who can't enjoy anything in life and probably won't understand this but:
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
If a game is enjoyable, then there you go, it's not a waste of time.
Now the real question is: is aimlessy flying in space/generic procedurally generated planet enjoyable?
>>
>>318318869
>Not naming it Daddy Sexy Legs
>>
>>318318951
>Theory
>>
>>318320307
>no mans sky will fail because its procedural

This. Some people in these threads don't seem to understand if their universe is really as big as they claim it is, there is going to be a metric fuckload of boring ass planets with nothing interesting/very little on them.

Look at Starbound. It's the same as No Man's Sky just 2D.
>>
>>318326724
Who ever wrote that article is a moron. A) centipedes aren't insects. B) that is an Arthropleura, which is a millipede-like creature, not a centipede.
As for the theory of more oxygen leading to bigger insects: yeah, we know that, but the biggest insect ever recorded is a type of dragonfly that was a bit smaller than your average crow, which really isn't THAT much larger than giant weta or a titan beetle. The biggest limit in the size of an insect is not actually the oxygen saturation (thought that plays a role), but rather the way it's collected and distributed through the body of an insect. Arthropleura most assuredly did not use simple tracheata system that insects have to breathe. Like many other arthropods, it probably had book-lungs or something like that.
>>
File: Fear De Lance.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Fear De Lance.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
pseudo rail shooter combat and procedurally generated filth devoid of any chance of player contact doesn't ring well with me.

i'm already in deep with ED and SC
>>
This game will literally never be released

No Man's Sky may release, but it will be far smaller in scope than the game they've been talking about.
>>
>>318314641
Then why does /v/ love space engine?

Hell, this has way more content variation, denstiy, and gameplay mechanics then space engine does.
>>
>>318327731
petty sure we've done experiments were insects were raised in chambers with higher then normal oxygen %'s then normal air and they grew to be like 2-3 times larger then normal, saw a documentary on it once
>>
>>318329354
Pretty sure that is not how things work in the first place...
>>
>>318328007
>A game that has so much potential with the tiny fear in all of us its going to be mediocre as fuck.

Please devs, whatever you're releasing into this game, prove us wrong that it's going to be boring.
>>
>>318329759
This isn't thee exact experiment I was talking about but:

http://www.wired.com/2010/11/huge-dragonflies-oxygen/
>>
If NMS ends up being a VR-built game I'm all on board

Exploration games were built for that shit. I'm just hoping it's not announced because Sony wants to finalize their plans for the Playstation VR
>>
>>318330235
Average volume increased by 15% is quite a damn different number from twice or three times the size.
>>
why not play this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnRX2np2HQ
>>
Starbound: 3D

If you're able to roleplay with the minimal amount of resources given to you then it will be fun for you. If you can't it won't. Simple as that. The game isnt being made to have much depth. Just barebones exploration, shooting, documenting, upgrading, etc.
>>
>>318331901
>2-D Pixels on a 3-D exploration

INTO THE TRASH IT GOES...
Is it good?
>>
>June 2016
What a joke. I was looking forward to this but I'm struggling to imagine I'll still be interested in seven months.
>>
>>318332108
fuck if I know but it's about walking around in a pretty environment while weird music plays
>>
>>318332197

Just stop paying attention to it and play other games like I do

Crypt of the Necrodancer is really fun
>>
Will it be at 3 E3s in a row?
>>
>>318332108
It's not a game, really. And not in the sense "It's not a game because I don't like it" - it literally is just an interactive exposition. You walk around the small-ish, hand made island, and you can watch how it changes with passing time and changing seasons. That is literally the entire extent of it.

It's quite charming as a visual experiment, because it actually manages to achieve surprisingly neat visual imaginery with such an incredibly simplistic graphics, and there is a something to say about how the passing seasons transform the already familiar landscape, but that is all. There is not even a semblance of implied win or lose states.

I think it could be used as a platform to make something actually really interesting. A minimalistic adventure or exploration game, for an instance. Nothing too fancy, just some kind of story to unfold, told through the environment. It's a shame that there actually isn't anything to discover - there is not really any variety in the landscapes themselves - the variety comes actually from the time-flow, which is a neat idea, except again: negates the point of it being interactive.
>>
Is there pvp/pk?
>>
>x318334150 the same planet b-but with different colors
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.