[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this better than Dark Souls? I have only played Bloodborne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 24
File: Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg (104 KB, 256x295) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg
104 KB, 256x295
Is this better than Dark Souls?

I have only played Bloodborne and want to try one of the others
>>
Better atmosphere but most people usually prefer the first Souls game that they play.

Some of the bosses are 10/10 though, although I don't know if you'll actually get the proper Old Monk boss battle nowadays considering online will most likely be pretty dead.
>>
No. Honestly it's the easiest and worst of the souls series. I have absolutely no idea why people praise it so much. It's still pretty good though, worth a play through.
>>
Demon's is more like BB

Dark Souls is a failed experiment with cool lore

BB is a better Dark Souls than Dark Souls turned out to be
>>
>>318295767
Not by any stretch of the imagination, no.
>>
>>318295767
I think to really appreciate it you had to play it when it came out. It's just dated now
>>
Kind of debatable. Weapon and Armor selection is much poorer than DaS, and the upgrade system is a big complicated pain in the fucking ass.

Atmosphere is better, and boss fights are really unique, though there are some massive stinkers.Also you cannot access boss weapons until you beat one of the hardest bosses in the game, and upgrading boss weapons requires manipulating the game's retarded ass morality system.
>>
>>318296360
>Dark Souls 2 is a failed experiment with cool lore
fixed.
>>
>>318296261

>world tendency
>easy

stfu
>>
>>318296657
>DS2
>cool lore
>lore at all
>>
>>318296657
>dark souls 2 is a failed abortion
fixed
>>
Dark souls has a better environment and the underlying story is pretty well done.

Dark souls did story telling without telling a story real good.

It's by far the best souls game.
>>
no. i miss my trusty lava bow though
>>
>>318296657
Dark Souls 2 had lore?
>>
>>318295767
The gameplay is less polished, and level design is different, but other than that it's a really fun experience, especially if you've got a friend or two to play with.
>>
If you've not played either just play DeS first then move on to DaS. Both are great.
>>
meh depends on your taste. i've never really been a big fan of the midevil aspect of games.
>>
PvE
Bloodborne>Dark Souls 2> Demon Souls>dark souls

PvP
Dark Souls 2>Demon Souls>Dogshit>Bloodborne>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dark Souls

Atmosphere/Lore
Demon Souls=BloodBorne>Dark Souls> Dark souls 2

Yeah its better dude
>>
>>318296657

PtDE babby pls. It's a huge step down from DeS.
>>
File: 1436567710988.png (52 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
1436567710988.png
52 KB, 346x360
>>318297494
>PvP
>Dark Souls 2
>>
>>318295767
Positives:

>Actual levels so level design is very good and each world feels unique
>Opening up shortcuts feels really good since you can bypass parts of levels you've already done once or twice
>Builds actually feel distinctly different, Faith gets miracles and the blessed path gives you magic damage and HP regen on weapons, Magic gets crescent which is magic damage and MP regen, etc.
>Item burden means you can't just carry everything around with you meaning you have to be choosy with what you take if you want to get the items in the world
>Best fleshed out NPC's
>A tighter magic system thats not artificially huge by having 15 variants of soul arrow
>Only souls game with a very explicit and self-contained story (You died, you're soul is now bound to the nexus. Defeat the demon's to stop the old one from spreading the fog to the rest of the world and save Boletaria)

The negatives
>"Unrefined" in that theres about a dozen different upgrade materials to farm
>People will argue that the bosses are easy/gimmicky (outside of like 3 or 4)
>Easy to exploit bosses (just don't do it and its actually a great game)
>You aren't going to play it at its peak, where you would have actual invasions with other new players and not try hard 2kat or firespray spammers
>You will never experience old monk in its purest form.
>>
>>318295767
No. I honestly think the game is pretty bad but it's loved because it's the first game in the series.

It has MANY flaws. Still better than the mistake that was Dark Souls 2 though.
>>
as others have said it has better atmosphere since it was still connected more strongly to kings field in design. but I mean kings field blows them all out of the water on atmosphere.
>>
>>318295767
PvE
Dark Souls>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls>Dark Souls II

PvP
Dark Souls II>Dark Souls>Demon's Souls>Bloodborne just because of how fucked it is

Atmosphere/Lore
Up to you!
>>
>>318296058
>will most likely be pretty dead
Not as much as you think.
>>
Magic is retardedly broken in this game. With the right equipment you can one-shot the final boss even on NG+++. On top of that, the spells Warding and Second Chance rape the PVP meta with no apologies.
>>
My first was Dark Souls, just for that point of reference. I'd only recently played Demon's for the first time, and I will say, I think the two are pretty damn on-par. Every time I try and rank the series, those two keep swapping positions. Demon's did have a lot more character, more viable builds, more challenging in-betweeny bits, and an overall more interesting story. Dark, meanwhile, had significantly harder bosses, better atmosphere, and an interconnected world that was more fun to explore.

To me, Bloodborne > Dark Souls = Demon's Souls > Dark Souls II. I'll recommend you to play Demon's first, since it's much easier as a whole, and might still give you some challenge if you're not a seasoned Souls player quite yet.
>>
Bloodborne had the best enemy variety and designs?
>>
>>318296657
>Maybe Havel... Was a person... Or maybe... He was... A place?
Excellent lore right here
>>
>>318295767
it's not that good. I have a PS3 and I still didn't play it
>>
>>318296607
>the upgrade system is a big complicated pain in the fucking ass
And it's also the only game where it actually works as intended.
>>
>>318299098
Enemy variety no, designs yes.
>>
File: 1435108448636.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1435108448636.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>>318299224
>It's not that good
>I didn't play it

/v/ in one post.
>>
>>318299365
It has more enemy variety than DaS1.
>>
Dude DeS is mostly shit except for like 1-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, Flamelurker, Maneaters, and False King.
I used to really like DeS but /v/ and their circle jerking about how much better it is than DaS because it was exclusive to PS3 (don't fucking pretend like that's not why you like it) has ruined it for me.
>>
>>318299665
I disagree. Bloodborne is restricted because it's more thematically focused. Everything has to fall into one of two categories: Van Helsing, or Lovecraft.
>>
>>318297836
>Has the most viable weaponry, with tons of weapon variety for each playstyle, even has strength based rapiers and spears, and dexterity based greatswords
>Can shut down BS fishers with multiple equips, forcing them to actually play the game
>Parrying can be done more reliably and is more skill based than just blind guesswork and luck
>More spell variety makes casting more interesting and varied than Dark Bead spam non stop
>There are actual usable strength weapons thanks to anti-BS gear

Yes, it is still shit, but it's less shit than Dark Soul's pvp experience that boiled down to backstabbing people at high levels, or twinking your character and backstabbing lower leveled people incapable of fighting back.

And we won't even mention the grass munching cursed DBS lmao 2kat shitfest that was DeS pvp.
>>
>>318300320
The superior number of unique types of enemies in Bloodborne is an objective fact.
>>
>>318300320
The only things that stood out to me in DaS1 were the ents, mushroom people, snake men, and those blue octopus things. Oh and those sponge demons at the end of the game.
>>
Demons souls has the scraping spear making it the best game in the series, or it did when people actually played the game.
>>
>>318300047
you know if you are that weak willed and influenced by other people especially faggots on an anonymous image board then you deserve to have every game ruined.

That said DaS1 is better.
>>
File: 1336950776146.png (207 KB, 606x563) Image search: [Google]
1336950776146.png
207 KB, 606x563
>>318300047
>I used to really like DeS but /v/ and their circle jerking about how much better it is than DaS because it was exclusive to PS3 (don't fucking pretend like that's not why you like it) has ruined it for me.

>my opinion on a game is rooted in the game's fanbase

I wish you wouldn't do this!
>>
>>318300572
>Ball and chain giant right outside the cathedral ward
>There's only one of them in the entire game
>There's 100 of the same beast guys in Old Yharnam
Sometimes the enemy variety in BB pissed me off, so many good enemies used only fucking one time.

>>318300723
That's because half the enemies in Dark Souls were generic zombie humanoids. People only remember enemy designs in Dark Souls because the good enemies stood out so much from the bland enemies that filled the game.
>>
>>318300320
Oh really.
Then what about Lady Maria? Or the queen of Vilebloods? Or the first hunter? or vicar Amelia?
>>
>>318295767
In my opinion, yes, it's the best "souls-like" game. It had more dedication to its world and experiential game qualities than the other games. That's obviously not universally appealing, but to me it's those things which I like best.
I'm the kind of person who says that an unoptimized build is absolutely the best way to play these games. While Dark Souls' world was all contiguous which is cool in itself, Demon's Souls worlds were each very different and consistent artistically and design-wise, giving them each stronger characters, in a way Dark Souls didn't manage. In a similar way, each enemy and boss is unique in a strongly characteristic way too. More so than DaS and BB, I had to change my mindset, consider my equipment more carefully and think a bit more for each individual encounter in Demon's Souls. Then there's also the soul & world tendency, item burden, upgrade system... Those are polarizing features but I thought they helped the experience a lot.
The game to me is the most focused and varied; it expresses facets of its world through mechanical means better than the others, and overall the experience to me just felt the richest out of all those games.
>>
No but you should still play both Demon's and Dark Souls 1

I recommend skipping Dark Souls 2 but some people like it so if you still need more after Demon's and dark souls 1 then you could try it out. Just lower your expectations.
>>
File: 1442132762922.png (635 KB, 756x715) Image search: [Google]
1442132762922.png
635 KB, 756x715
>>318300914
Gehrman and Amelia are definitely Helsing. I haven't played the DLC yet though-- Is Annalise a boss? Who is Lady Maria? Please expand.
>>
>>318297836
The PVP in the souls games is always been fun while simultaneously being complete bullshit. Dark Souls 2 is just slightly less bullshitty than DS1's and it boasts the most amount of different weapon and spell choices.
>>
>>318298827
The demon soul servers were all shut down, it's a dead game.
>>
>>318300906
>>Ball and chain giant right outside the cathedral ward
ball and chain giant? which enemy is that?
>>
>>318301284
The servers are still up
>>
>>318301284
They weren't
>>
>>318301284
No they weren't.
>>
>>318301208
>Who is Lady Maria? Please expand.
Just a random lady who lives in a clocktower and dual wields katanas.

Her hobbies are playing dead and stabbing herself.

>>318301294
When you go on the path outside Oedon Chapel to the left, the area where you find the monocle has a giant that uses a wrecking ball as a weapon. He's the only one in the entire game.
>>
>>318301284
epic meme friendo
>>
>>318301465
Is that a new meme I'm not aware of?
>>
File: i'm all out of flasks.jpg (65 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
i'm all out of flasks.jpg
65 KB, 225x225
>>318295767
The thing about the souls games that make them so popular on /v/ is that they're all good. All of them. They're all good for very different reasons, but From's level of quality mostly persists through all of them. Dark souls 2 is by FAR the weakest of the series, but isn't in any way a bad game, just a weak souls game. All of these games are absolutely worth playing. The recently released bloodborne dlc is honestly a 10/10 in my opinion.
>>
File: 1445095464835.jpg (26 KB, 508x524) Image search: [Google]
1445095464835.jpg
26 KB, 508x524
>>318301954
>but isn't in any way a bad game
>>
>>318301707
It's a meme that's gonna conquer all memes.
>>
>>318302080
>Doesn't have a written opinion
>Just posts a picture of a frog
Forgot I was on /v/:Shitposting for a second there.
>>
File: 1436163553992.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436163553992.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>318301257
The appeal of Souls PVP is exactly the fact that it's complete bullshit. This 'honorable duel' mentality that streamers and Youtubers have propagated is absolute cancer. When I invade you, I'm there to fuck with you, cheat you out of souls, and ruin your day in general. I'm going to be a cheesy bastard, and I'm going to use the Scraping Spear, because invasions are supposed to be something you dread, and it's more fun this way.

>>318301707
I've seen it said in the last dozen or so DeS and BB threads. I don't know if it's a meme yet but it's charting well.
>>
>>318302080
It isn't. You're holding it to the standard of it's predecessors, which makes sense. It's not nearly as good as the rest of the series, but if you removed the title it's still a lengthy and fun RPG with a ton of fucking content and weapon/build variety.
>>
>>318297049
>playing Souls games for the story
>>
>>318302240
That's not the appeal. In fact, that's why the PvP is so dead in every Souls games.
>>
File: 1280529011320.png (232 KB, 625x403) Image search: [Google]
1280529011320.png
232 KB, 625x403
>>318301284
[citation needed]
>>
>>318302397
Your post made no fucking sense.
You agree that it makes sense to compare a new entry of a series to the rest of it but that if you don't dark souls 2 isn't bad

So Dark souls 2 is a bad game.
>>
File: great job.jpg (21 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
great job.jpg
21 KB, 250x250
>>318302956
I'm not here to argue with anyone, if you want to demand it's a bad game than you're free to do so. I was simply voicing my opinion.
>>
>>318303310
you said it was a bad game and it wasn't a bad game.

That is not an opinion. That is just stupid.
>>
>>318302240
Not really, fight clubs give you more souls if you're good then straight up invading someone.
Invading is fun though if you can just push the host off a cliff or something.
>>
>>318302956
Dark souls 2 has good pvp, but the world map is pretty shit. Bosses are still fun.
>>
>>318295767
>Is this better than Dark Souls?
It's not. I played Dark Souls and Dark Souls II first and found Demon's Souls really barebone. Also, it wasn't nearly as atmospheric as Dark Souls, but still tighter in that regard than DaSII.

As a general rule of thumb, the best Souls game is always the one you played first, but I'd really appreciate it if people stopped spouting this "DeS is the pinnacle of the series" meme.
>>
>>318302240
>The appeal of Souls PVP is exactly the fact that it's complete bullshit.
I agree with you there to an extent. The imbalance makes the experience more interesting I think. I mean I like having "honorable duels" sometimes, but yes, the dread of being invaded by a dude with a scraping spear in the Tower of Latria was quite thrilling. It can't be too bullshit though. It's gotta be bullshit completely in the hands of the player and not something else. I just gave up on enjoying Dark Souls PVP because I'd seriously pretty much always get lagstabbed, which is to say the bullshit in that case was in the hands of lag. I would prefer my equipment to be broken to being killed by that.
>>
File: 1340754612816.png (10 KB, 165x176) Image search: [Google]
1340754612816.png
10 KB, 165x176
>>318303441
Still not going to argue with you. It's a good video game, all around just a lackluster souls game by the souls series standards. You're free to feel otherwise, it hardly matters.
>>
>>318301284
Simply ebbin mate.
>>
>>318303723
I am not saying to convince you or arguing.

all I am saying is that you are directly contradicting yourself.

But I do understand that someone who is as dead inside as you could enjoy a shit game like das2.

I hope I get to your point so I can play every new madden/fifa and cod and just act all aloof on /v/.
>>
>>318303975
Not him but, what I understood from his post was that if you analyze the game by it's own merits you'll realize it's not bad, at all.

But seemingly, your opinions aligning with the most parroted memes on this board prevents you from having any kind of reading comprehension
>>
Personally, I like the story, characters and atmosphere better in DeS, but when it comes to actual gameplay, DkS might be better, as it introduced lots of cool new mechanics. It's definently worth a shot though.
>>
>>318304163
>You're holding it to the standard of it's predecessors, which makes sense.
>which makes sense

No he isn't that retarded. But you are.

Hey if you don't compare any video game to ALL existing videogames then they are all perfect.

You are beyond retarded and I am surprised you don't use a tripcode considering how desperate you are to be special.
>>
>>318304163
>your opinions aligning with the most parroted memes on this board
Oh no other people also think a game is bad?
Better adjust my taste. Wouldn't want anyone to think I am part of the hivemind. I am a special little snowflake.
>>
>>318295767
In my opinion it is, but I'm probably in the minority.

Demon's Souls is faster paced, has better weapon movesets and the upgrade system is the most unique with all kinds of traits like hp regen, mana regen, poison on hit and even a path dedicated to quality stats.

Demon's Souls is more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls is like Bloodborne so I suggest starting with it.
>>
>>318296657
>dark souls 2
>lore
>>
You have a heart of gold.

Don't let them take it from you.
>>
File: empires.gif (1 MB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
empires.gif
1 MB, 280x280
>>318303975
>>318304163
>>318304420
All I was trying to say is that it is a good game by it's own merit but isn't as good as the rest of the games in it's series. I realize I have worded that poorly, but that's all I meant. Didn't seem to be that absurd of a statement but then again, this is /v/.
>>
>>318301954
I agree. They're the games I've had most fun with in the last few years and I cant wait for Dark Souls 3
>>
pve
Bloodborne > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2

pvp
Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Bloodborne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Dark Souls 2
>>
>>318301954
Dark Souls 2 isn't a good game at all.

It's an okay game on regular ground and absolute garbage as a souls game
>>
>>318304798
It is just such a weird thing to mention.

Super Man 64 is a good game if you ignore all other games in existence.

What have you gained from that?
Its like saying a game is fun with friends.

It has NOTHING to do with the argument. Which is "Is dark souls 2 a good game?"
And unless you can somehow remove the memory of the rest of the series from your brain then NO it isn't.
>>
>>318304739
Do come back alive! I need your business.
>>
>>318304901
Dark Souls 2 isn't as bad as meme masters like to pretend it is and it had solid pvp
>>
>>318295767
It's the best, but Dark Souls normies will say otherwise.
>>
>>318305164
This.

Dark Souls II had a lot going for it in the PvP department, unless you're a twinking faggot.
>>
>>318305164
Only if you like World of Warcraft style arenas and EXCLUSIVELY max level pvp.

I always preferred mid-level pvp and invasions so das2 is pretty shit as far as pvp goes for me.
PvP in souls should serve the pve.
Fuck arenas. Worst shit in the series.
>>
>>318300047
>1-2 good
>no 2-1 or 2-2

What do you prioritize in considering a level good?
>>
>>318305164
yes it is

>it had solid pvp
that's limited to an arena because of soul memory and farming orbs
>b-bbut muh agape!
still puts a lifetime on your build because of consumables / repairing equipment

DaS2 pvp boils down to
>footsies
>someone lands a swing
>that person proceeds to mash R1 until one or two more swings come out because each hit is a guaranteed 2-3 hit stunlock
>more footsies
>repeat

It has the least depth to it as well. I can't think of a single good mechanic it has besides baiting rolls via animation canceling, and even that gets old fast.
>>
>>318305219
>muh nostalgia
>>
File: 1440983289593.png (168 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440983289593.png
168 KB, 400x400
>>318305741
>nostalgia
>for a 6 year old game
>>
File: 1446040363935.gif (1 MB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
1446040363935.gif
1 MB, 260x187
>>318295767
Yes
100x yes
>>
It's definitely my favorite, but I think Dark Souls (arguably, it would be if not for the last 1/4 of the game) and Bloodborne (even if lacking in content) are objectively better.

I don't know why people dislike World Tendency though. It's a way more interesting mechanic than covenants.
>>
>>318305143

What he's saying is that even if he prefers tilapia over salmon, salmon is still pretty tasty. You're saying that I can't enjoy salmon because it's bad compared to other kinds of fish.
>>
File: 1442864572938.jpg (40 KB, 427x393) Image search: [Google]
1442864572938.jpg
40 KB, 427x393
>>318301284
>>
>>318306102
the idea of world tendency is not a bad mechanic, it's just not implemented properly
>>
>>318306102
I like it but I can definitely see why people would not personally like having to kill themselves seven times in a row to unlock additional content.
>>
>>318306102
Assuming you buy the game of the year addition I don't really anyone can say Bloodborne is lacking in content now, unless they just mean aesthetic diversity (because while I think the DLC is great I think the engine combined with art direction makes the whole game look pretty samey).

Also yeah world tendency was great but like >>318306420 said, implemented poorly.
>>
>>318306102
Dark Souls is better in terms of variety, but the core mechanics are worse.
>>
>>318306116
>food metaphor
Oh come on!

But besides that the argument isn't that he is not allowed to enjoy whatever he wants.
There is a difference between saying "I enjoy X" and "X is good"

To bring it back to vidya you fatass if someone says he enjoys Das2 I have no problem with that. There are objectively bad games I had fun with in my life. The argument is about whether or not Dark Souls 2 is a bad game and not if he enjoyed it.
>>
Demon's Souls regen builds are the best thing to come out of the entire series.

FIFTY TWO HP PER SECOND
>>
File: lsom-on-hand-large.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lsom-on-hand-large.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
It's a diamond in the rough. Lots of good aspects, lots of bad. If you let loose and play the game as it's given, you'll probably have fun. If not, it's not worth forcing yourself to like.
It's my second favourite souls title, maybe. I like it more than Borne, but I feel after I'm done researching into lovecraft and whatevere I'll enjoy it more than DeS.
>>
>>318306682
Dark Souls has the best combat mechanics it the series.
>>
>>318301954
Ehhhhhh i dont understand this dark souls 2 is the weakest meme. I guess its just /v/ being absolute retards, buts its got the best gameplay in the series, its not even debatable.
>>
>>318307117
not even good bait
>>
File: Consume_Corpse_(large).jpg (19 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
Consume_Corpse_(large).jpg
19 KB, 248x248
Demon's is my favorite by, but it has some pretty fucking awful issues
>magic is by far the most OP in any souls game, you're able to instakill some bosses with firestorm without even needing clever rat BS
>pure melee builds have the most hellish time with certain bosses and areas
>item burden is a fucking mess and if you don't have enough space for an item you will lose that item unless you make room
>4-2
>if you want to keep every world at PWWT you have to get used to killing yourself in the nexus
>no clear indicator for how close you are to PW/PBWT (a number would be nice)
>satsuki is a cunt and you will be punished for defending yourself
>pure bladestone
>>
>>318307117
I can see how you might think that if you've never played a video game, but go ahead and keep believing it's everybody else that's retarded.
>>
It still has the best invasion mechanics.

I have no idea why they keep fucking that shit up in every other souls game.
>>
File: 1424436088791.jpg (133 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1424436088791.jpg
133 KB, 728x636
>>318307117
>best gameplay
>your ability to dodge is something that's acquired through levelling up, not learned by the player
>soul memory
>combat isn't slow and methodical, and can be won at all times by trading hits with no degree of tactical advantage
>enemy encounters are often in hordes despite the lock on mechanics clearly being designed for one on one duels

You made me reply.
>>
>>318306968
That clunky shit? Not even close.
In Dark Souls most of the weapons are useless, magic is completely broken, every upgrade path is worthless except for normal or chaos and backstabs are too easy to pull off.
Demon's Souls had extremely tight and responsive controls, magic was fast and viable but the damage amount weren't as retarded as Dark Souls, every upgrade path is potentially great and backstabs were easier to counter.
Demon's Souls has the best combat, only second to Bloodborne.
>>
File: 1440822304003.jpg (72 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1440822304003.jpg
72 KB, 305x196
>>318297321
>midevil
lmao
>>
>>318307741
>backstabs were easier to counter
>in demon's souls
I beg your pardon?
>>
>>318307741
>In Dark Souls most of the weapons are useless, magic is completely broken, every upgrade path is worthless except for normal or chaos and backstabs are too easy to pull off.
Literally all of that is true of Demon's Souls and not Dark Souls except maybe the backstabs. Dark Souls also has the best controls.
>>
>>318307225
I agree with everything you've said, and I know pretty much no one would agree with me, but I actually kind of like the inventory system. On the first playthrough it's definitely bad and discourages exploration, but on subsequent playthroughs it makes you plan ahead and think about what you want to get out of certain levels.

It's definitely bullshit that items disappear if you don't have space though.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>318307225
none of those points are really that bad

Item burden is not a big deal unless you're rocking 8 vit for a hyper built.

Everything feels fucking broken because everything is overpowered by the standards of any other souls game, melee included. The only thing I can even think you're referencing is farming worms for a str build.

I've never understood why farming pure bladestone is a bid deal either
just run to the secret passage in 4-2 kill the skelly with LSoS in offhand, pick up the loot, jump off the edge and repeat.

the problems with tendency are pretty annoying though

PBWT Satsuki on any NG is a fucking cake walk compared to pic related. Gayest fight in the series.
>>
>>318307741
>In Dark Souls most of the weapons are useless,
Not anymore than in DeS
>magic is completely broken,
So much worse in DeS

>Demon's Souls has the best combat, only second to Bloodborne.
I still agree with that but you are exaggerating a lot here.
>>
>>318295767
Opinions. Consensus seems to be that the first one you've played will always be your favourite, but either way both DeS and DaS are fantastic games worth playing. DaS2 is okay and not the unforgivable shitfuck most people make it out to be but overall you'd be better off replaying something else.
>>
Bosses are mostly a cakewalk and you'll die much less in the areas, but I couldn't help but feel fear while wandering on some of those zones. Weapon variety is a joke and it all feels weak altogether. I vastly prefer DaS1 and have no intention of revisiting DeS
>>
>>318308161
DeS had less weapons, but they were all pretty useful with the rare exception of something like needle of eternal agony.

DeS had some of the best movesets in the series and while I love DaS, all great hammer class weapons were shit and there were a lot of duplicate weapons all over the place. There were just a lot of mediocre weapons.
>>
>>318295767
it was pretty good, i enjoyed the fuck out of it. not comparing it to anything is the best way to have an enhanced playing experience
>>
>>318308415
Well if we go by good weapons divided by all weapons then Bloodborne wins.

I don't mind a few weaker weapons and outside of shit like Whips and broken swords I don't mind using anything in das1.
>>
>>318307998
>>318308161
>he doesn't know the joy of using Blessed or Crescent weapons
>he never triggered people with mercury daggers
>he doesn't know about quality/sharp/crushing weapons
You missed the best of DeS.
Also name a single Demon's Souls spell that breaks the game more than Pursuers or Dark Bead.
>>
>>318308619
Second chance
>>
>>318308583
Bloodborne only wins with the DLC. Holy shit, it desperately needed more weapon variety.

But in terms of sheer fun of the movesets, the great axe in DeS is still my favorite weapon in the series with the greatsword being a close second.
>>
>>318308619
why use mercury daggers over baby's nail?
>>
>>318308619
>he has never farmed a pure bladestone
>he has never used a fully upgraded dark souls 1 claymore

also second chance is easily more bullshit than EVERYTHING in DeS.
>>
>>318308825
Why not both?
>>
>>318308749
that's a miracle

>>318308825
why use either over poison/death cloud?
>>
>>318302240
>The appeal of Souls PVP is exactly the fact that it's complete bullshit. This 'honorable duel' mentality that streamers and Youtubers have propagated is absolute cancer. When I invade you, I'm there to fuck with you, cheat you out of souls, and ruin your day in general
I think this is true, that the appeal of the PVP is to fuck people over majorly, because that's exactly what random invasions are like for people just normally playing.

It's also what makes it unappealing. I don't want to deal with getting constant invasions on clogged servers.
>>
>>318308793
>Bloodborne only wins with the DLC. Holy shit, it desperately needed more weapon variety.
But you were arguing that DeS is better because it has more useful weapons compared to the total number of weapons than dark souls

Bloodborne easily blows both of them out of the water if you use that criteria.

And holy shit if you just look at a single moveset then that is also Bloodborne.
>>
File: xFMCfY8.jpg (453 KB, 1400x888) Image search: [Google]
xFMCfY8.jpg
453 KB, 1400x888
>>318295767
I think it's a whole lot better than Dark Souls. But that's an unpopular opinion apparently. People will say Dark Souls 1 is *objectively* better than Demon's, but the games, if you actually play both, feel very different.
>>
File: 1421459190675.jpg (4 KB, 240x189) Image search: [Google]
1421459190675.jpg
4 KB, 240x189
>>318295767
Demons has faster more fluid combat, dark has more memes.
>>
Demon's Souls was just pure fun in every regard, even if things were broken.

>hyper mages got nearly a %200 damage boost
>regen builds could regenerate 2000 hp in ~40 seconds
>quality builds could get more damage than str or dex builds on any weapon with a standard upgrade path in the entire game
>>
>>318309042
sure, whatever but bloodborne movesets are not better than DeS movesets

don't try to tell me that kirk > great axe
>>
>>318309101
In a technical sense, Dark Souls is much more polished than Demon's.
The only two things one could consider superior in DeS are world design and atmosphere, but those are entirely up to preference since they can't be compared objectively.
>>
>>318309440
Any fucking day I will tell you that.
Transformation attacks. charged attacks attacks out of rolls are all varied.

The moment to moment combat in Bloodborne is so much better and has so many more options how the fuck can you prefer any other moveset?
>>
File: CAyAnCpWwAAsLBE[1].jpg (13 KB, 462x209) Image search: [Google]
CAyAnCpWwAAsLBE[1].jpg
13 KB, 462x209
>>318309570
Bloodborne is a meme game for fedoracores.
>>
>>318309559
>In a technical sense, Dark Souls is much more polished than Demon's
But it also plays extremely differently.
Better graphics and extra stuff don't make it objectively better in every way.
>>
>>318309840
Sure but the combat is still the best in the series.

I just wish it had more weapons.
>>
>>318295767
I played dark souls first and i didnt liek it much, mostly because i got lost alot. So i tried Demon Souls adn i had a blast, mostly liekly because it is wasy easier to find yourself in the maps and shit. Also it has a cool New Game +.
>>
>>318310041
even with the dlc you're not satisfied with the weapons? anon pls.
>>
>>318310041
>Best combat
>Complains about the shit weapons

Lol you're a retard.
>>
>>318310041
The weapons are more than enough, if you told me that you already used them all extensively I wouldn't believe you.
>>
>>318310041
>Combat is literally hope for a parry then riposte every fucking boss ala Gwyn
>BEST COMBAT GUYS 10/10 GAMEPLAY

Sure, faggot.
>>
Best lvl to use the nito covenant? I wanna fuck other people world
>>
>>318310318
>15 weapons in the base game
>like two or three builds and you had to stats to use every weapon in the game effectively

really family, really?
>>
>>318310669
it only applies to people in NG+ and beyond, on top of the covenant not working properly anyway

it's best just to go to SL125 and pvp with it
>>
>>318310669
you gotta be on ng+, so probably 120 or so.
>>
>>318295767
Yes, it is. Not by much though.
>>
>>318310696
>base game
>>
>>318311048
which people have been playing and judging the game on alone for the past eight months

the weapon variety from the DLC was a DESPERATELY needed addition
>>
>>318311391
I agree it was desperately needed, but it's not really a valid complaint anymore. Like sure criticize FROM for basically releasing an unfinished game, but in it's final form weapon variety isn't really an issue.
>>
>adjudicator shield
>blessed Lucerne hammer
>brushwood set
>scrapping spear
>second chance
>acid spell that destroys equipment
Demon souls was the best game for purely fucking with people
>>
>>318295767
No, but it's worth playing.
>>
>>318311868
brushwood set wasn't actually worth the fatroll, was it?
>>
In DeS if I upgrade a weapon past +6 can I still bless it later on?

Silly question I know but its my first playthrough
>>
>>318297836
pvp on das2 is good if you focus on duels and other fag shit. For invasions it's literally the worst.
>>
>>318311848
then your original point is moot anyway because no one can expect people to have made builds suitable for all of the DLC weapons when it was just released
>>
WATCH OUT
FOR MY
FIRE
STORM
>>
>>318312130
No, you can't. You have to start the upgrade path at +6.
>>
>>318312063
Tanking everyones hit whilst destroying their gear was worth it.
That and I mixed matched it so I can roll slightly faster.

You have to keep in mind youre not trying to kill everyone you want to fuck them up beyond repair.
It's an art
>>
>>318312130
yes, but you would need to use meltstone to turn it back until a +0 weapon and then level it up to +6 if you did

contrary to what people say, farming pure faintstone is more frustrating and takes longer than farming even pure bladestone so I suggest you just get your first pure from talking to the faith lady in the nexus with 20 fai and then look up the stockpile thomas dupe glitch, because fuck farming that
>>
>>318295767
>Better
That's subjective
It's definitely a more complete game, it has less content, but there's no rushed, badly done area. It's also more consistent in terms of quality, all of the areas are good, all of the bosses are good, but there're really few that are outstanding.
>>
>>318312334
>That and I mixed matched it so I can roll slightly faster.
there are only two roll speeds

later in the game, even destroying their gear is just a minor nuisance

I might try full brushwood on a 99 vit regen build though
>>
>>318312326
Sucks
>>318312483
Yeah I already know of the dupe, I did it to get pure black in boletaria

Guess I'll just go +10 and then dupe hardstone later on
>>
>>318312220
I'm a different anon, and the conversation progressed like this:

anon 1: Bloodborne is good, its lacking weapon variety though
anon 2: There are more than enough weapons and I don't believe you if you've tried them all out sufficiently
anon 1: only 15 weapons and build variety was lacking in PvP
me: that's the base game anon

My point is just that weapon variety isn't an issue now. Build variety may not change becuase pizza cutter and other things are broken, but that's to be expected because from never balances things well.
>>
>>318296467
Lol.

The classic divided level design (which also makes sense for the world) is better imo. And no bonfires.
Combat was more fluid.
You could judge the weight/strength of enemies based on their movement. Dark souls is silly about that (see: havel)

Magic isn't as fun in Dks, and most weapons suck ass.

Oh, not to mention the story is flat out better and more consistent imo.
>>
>>318312317
RFS was pretty much a thing well after the majority of players moved on, thankfully
>>
>>318296657
God forbid anyone insults Dark Souls 1, right?
>>
>>318315667
>comparing a gem with some flaws to a gigantic turd
>>
>>318296657
>Dark Souls is implied to be less than perfect
>"B-BUT DARK SOULS 2"
Way to divert the attention.
>>
File: 1438888834364.jpg (1 MB, 892x1200) Image search: [Google]
1438888834364.jpg
1 MB, 892x1200
DeS is a good game.

it has its issues design-wise, but they don't make the game bad

it also has its issues on a technical level, but they also aren't enough to make the game bad (though it would be way more pleasant to play it on a system that can actually handle it)

it's very simmilar to DaS, but it has a main hub which you use to teleport to the other areas and their subsections, so "worldtravelling" isn't as important/relevant as DaS, this level structure makes it easy to just go to another area if you feel stuck/bored with one area

the last boss of areas 2 and 4 are completely gimmicky, and area 5's is a complete pushover, even if all of these are handled well in the aesthetics department
area 3's final boss is really cool in concept... but dead online makes it completely boring

don't get me started on world tendencies, fortunately you can just ignore them and play the game I guess

DeS is flawed but it's a good game, I hope the PS3 emulator finally works so that someday we can play it 1080@60
>>
>>318315797
>gem with some flaws
>later half of the game is utter shit
No thanks.
>>
>>318317529
Dukes, new londo and painted world are all good areas

Dark Souls 2 on the other hand, has not a single redeemable feature. It's shit from start to finish.
>>
>>318311868
Blessed Lucrene was my baby.
Shame it was useless in the other games.
>>
>>318295767
Dark > Demon > Bloodborne > Dark 2

Demons is a good bame but changing it to a interconnected world was a leap so huge it is incomparable.
>>
>>318319835
Tomb of Giants was pretty good too.
>>
>>318320906
They're all good outside of Demon's Ruins and Izalith, but if people don't scream about the entire second half being shit then what will they shitpost about?
>>
I dont get why people hold Dark souls to such high regard. It is an amazing game, but I dont see it as others do I guess? I love the story and lore and gameplay and everything. But I wouldnt call it better than any of the others. I think its just as good as demons souls or dark souls 2 or bloodborne. Theyre all very similar. They all have their stories and their visions and their lore and such.

I dont think any of them are objectively better than the other. If I had to number them though, id say it goes. 1 BB 2 DES 3 DAS1 4 DAS2

But I still enjoy them all as much as the other.
>>
>>318321225
>but I dont see it as others do I guess

All of the games are excellent except for Dark Souls 2. That's the consensus.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.