[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, it's been established that Bethesda neither knows nor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: fallout1manual.png (212 KB, 661x926) Image search: [Google]
fallout1manual.png
212 KB, 661x926
So, it's been established that Bethesda neither knows nor cares about consistency with Fallout's actual lore.

But what was the GECK supposed to be in the first place? In Fallout 2 there was something about seed samples and agricultural growth accelerators. Vault 8 was ostensibly built into Vault City with a GECK, although I didn't hear any mention of agriculture in Vault City. I found pic related in the Fallout 1 manual, and have no idea what to make of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2814x1842) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2814x1842
Their suposed to rebuild pre-war nature, it's never explained how though.
In Fallout 2 Vault City uses it to create fertile soil and to replant grass and trees. They could have expanded a lot more if the other GECK they had worked.

In the canceled sequel to Tactics, Florida would be overrun with the mutated and corrupted plant-life of a faulty GECK. It would have been fucking awesome.
>>
I thought it was supposed to be a terraforming device of some kind

it's the only way I could imagine it doing what it's supposed to do
>>
In the first place? Literally a magical plot device of no other consequence. I believe that's outright stated by whoever wrote the Fallout Bible.

In-universe though? I could see it working as an improved version of the Sierra Madre dispenser machines, capable of sustaining a small population by itself until they could've learned enough from the library contained inside it to reestablish basic agriculture and sanitary systems like water purification and whatnot.
>>
File: fuck florida.gif (729 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fuck florida.gif
729 KB, 320x240
>>318225387
>no post-apoc game with giant alligator men
Why live?
>>
>>318225387

>Florida would be overrun with the mutated and corrupted plant-life of a faulty GECK.

NOPE

Vault 22 already spooked me the fuck out, I'd have a goddamn heart attack playing an entire game of just that.
>>
>>318225387
Point lookout is way too far north on that map. It's south of DC.
>>
>>318224878
Nobody really knows. The contents vary between a farming kit with ways to renew the soil, purify the water, and seeds(a terraforming kit I guess) or a sophisticated replication device like the ones seen at Sierra Madre.

It might be both though, if it was the replicator it would be insanely expensive. They may have just given vaults "fake" GECKs with the seeds, while a few vaults got the replicator version.
>>
>>318224878
I wouldn't think too hard about it. The GECK is about as consistent as ghoulification.
>>
>>318227645
To add on this I think all of them came with a holotape that stored a summary of human knowledge before the war.
>>
>>318225387
Sounds like some Fountain of Dreams shit.
>>
Trying to play the steam version of FO2 here, though the GOG variant is open to me.
Why did this come with a bunch of bullshit patches, and more importantly, why is my guy switching from running normally to moving like molasses at the speed of smell?

I've got everything I can possibly think of maxed out, combat speed, mouse sensitivity, whatever, but it's still painfully slow and only jerks back to regular speed long enough to get me excited so it can disappoint me by vomiting seconds-per-frame action all over the place.
>>
>>318227645
>>318226683
>>318225582
I assume the damn things would be as drastically different as possible towards the same end of rebuilding agriculture.

Only one has to work to rebuild civilization, right?
>>
So, other than Vault City and the ending cinematics of FO2, have we ever actually seen the GECK, or its results, in action?
>>
>>318225387
why is florida black? there's that much plant life?
>>
File: 1404373776799.png (56 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1404373776799.png
56 KB, 380x380
>>318225387
>Hoover dam on the left of NV
>using Van Buren information for Legion territory
You'd think the person who was autistic enough to make this map would actually look up where things were supposed to be placed
>>
>>318228474
Florida is barely above sea level right now, nearly 300 years into the future and maybe some other FO universe stuff could easily put it at sea level, making the entire thing a marshland.

Or yeah, all the mutated plant-life.
>>
>>318224878
A MacGuffin.
>>
>>318228454
We do in 3
:^)
>>
>>318227272
>no post-apoc game with giant romanceable alligator men
Why live?
>>
>>318225387
I'd really like to know the lore behind those Texas locations, because that is not even close to where Fort Worth is.
>>
Not relevant to the point of the thread but I've been replaying NV after 85 hours of 4 just to see which one is better.
The conclusion:
They are both excellent games with a ton of flaws
>>
>>318229629
>4
>excellent
Wew lad
>>
>>318229796
Yes mr.meme
In terms of atmosphere and gun play it's probably the best fps I've played in a very long time. Every area I explored was jam packed with its own story and events.
Where does it fall short? Speech events but you knew that. That's where NV excels. The two combined would make an amazing FO game
>>
>>318230109
Off the top of my head
>dialogue is awful apart from a handful of characters
>VAs are often bad
>quests are linear and usually "go kill x"
>settlements are shallow and pointless
>weapon mods aren't unique, and there's mods that are objectively the best (apart from scopes)
>lore/continuity/consistency issues
>magic weapons
>not many real towns
>generic evil bad guys who have no real motivations apart from being as evil as possible
>perks are either OP or awful
>SPECIAL is practically useless
>no speech checks other than charisma chance based checks
>>
>>318230790
You point all this "bad" shit out yet me and thousands of others put in at least 60 hours. Like I said it has lots of flaws but so did NV. They both had aspects that could make an even better FO
>>
>>318232013
You can put a lot of hours into farmville, but that doesn't make it good.
4 has some good mechanics, but the divorcing of RPG elements from the game mean it's a shit Fallout, and a terrible direction for the series.
>>
File: 1441624404297.jpg (118 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441624404297.jpg
118 KB, 1920x1080
The wasteland finding out how to make GECKS is like the 40k Imperium finding a fully intact STC.

It will never happen because it would break the status quo
>>
>>318224878
Who the fuck actually cares about lore, OP Faggot-son
>>
>Ghouls established to require food/water in previous Fallouts
>Ghouls established to require food/water in FO4 itself
>Ghoul child survives for 200 years locked inside a fridge in FO4

Why
>>
>>318232206
All those people forced themselves to play this horrible game for literal days :(
>>
>>318232578

Most people playing RPGs, Anon-Faggotson

At least, that used to be the case, before every shit-chewing retard started complaining about how hard it was to read in-game documents and actually learn about the game world.
>>
>>318232829
>>318232013
>it's good because it's popular
Great argument. Let me guess, you think Big Bang Theory is the pinnacle of television entertainment?
>>
>>318232896
Yeah, no, maybe 20 years ago when games had no real content so devs relied on text and imagination to fill the blanks
Now its content = anything > story time. Lore means nothing
now.
>>
>>318232994
>saying a fame is awful because you personally don't like it
That's much better
Nothing you said makes a game objectively bad.
>>
Fallout 4 is fun. But its not good. Chess is good. Fallout 1 is good. Beef wellington is good.
Mcdonalds is fun. Monopoly is fun. Fallout 4 is just fun.
>>
>>318232829
hours spent playing the game does not equal enjoyment you fucking brain dead retard
>>
>>318233672
Make this banner.
>>
>>318232994
>inb4 fun is just a buzzword
>>
Just google it nigga

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Garden_of_Eden_Creation_Kit

>The GECKs are a miracle... a miracle that they work.
>>
>>318229497
Me too, I mean the map shows The Alamo as practically on the border with Mexico.

>tfw Texas will never get it's own FO

Fuck it'd be fucking sweet. Game could be set in Houston, then have DLC going to Dallas and Austin. We'd have the Texan BoS, tons of raiders with good guns, maybe see a more fleshed out Legion, and possibly some Texan militias or something. We've got nearly every terrain; desert, plains, coastal, forest, swamps, etc.
>>
File: 1412975776657.jpg (12 KB, 468x398) Image search: [Google]
1412975776657.jpg
12 KB, 468x398
>powered by cold fusion
>>
File: g.png (160 KB, 207x306) Image search: [Google]
g.png
160 KB, 207x306
>>318236258
>flying cars and nuclear-powered everything pre-war
>bawwww, cold fusion is unreasonable
>>
>>318237115
Aren't all the fusion batteries cold fusion anyway?

It seems unreasonable they're being heated to go critical while lying on concrete powering a lamp.
>>
>>318225387
>there wont ever be a fallout grand strategy game where you play as one of those factions

It sucks really.
>>
>>318228918
>nobody else notices this shit and they are arguing over fallout lore
>>
>>318225387
For such a seemingly strong faction, the Brotherhood of Steel doesn't seem to be very big. Really scattered about, too.
>>
File: 1431579815765.jpg (24 KB, 260x287) Image search: [Google]
1431579815765.jpg
24 KB, 260x287
>>318225387
>that map

They tried and that's what matters I suppose
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.