[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a childhood videogame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14
File: return-to-castle-wolfenstein.jpg (43 KB, 620x390) Image search: [Google]
return-to-castle-wolfenstein.jpg
43 KB, 620x390
I'm looking for a videogame from my childhood. The videogame was DEFINITELY pre 2005. Hopefully got the right board.

Anyway. I keep having the same flashback about this game I used to see my dad or bro play.
This is going to be vague as fuck, but I would love to find this game and play it to relive the memory and recognize shit I used to see back when I was a kid. I'm not even sure if the flashbacks are from 1 game. I don't expect anyone to understand what I'm going to describe, but hey, you never know.

I think it was a WW2 setting. I remember this scene where you played on a graveyard I think and you'd go down a bunker or tunnel where you'd kill some soldiers. I think this is quite at the beginning of the game.

I remember the following in some more detail:
Later in the game weird shit happens and you play in a futuristic setting. You spawn in a spaceship/UFO which is located in hall where more spaceships are located. I think you're fighting aliens from here on. 1 or more is walking a circle in this hall and you have to try to avoid it, or maybe not. Later you get outside on the streets. Normal looking streets with buildings that are Neon covered, billboards and shit. I'm not sure but there might be Tron-looking bikes, which either you or the enemies are using.

That's all I can remember.

Pic related: my other childhood game
>>
>>318205942
every single year, I get more and more shocked how fucking young people online are. Or rather, how I start feeling older.

That being said, I can't say for certain which game your description would be, but the TimeSplitters would definitely fit the bill, since you're time-traveling and changing environments all the time.
>>
I've never actually played one of these games so I have no idea if they're at all similar to what you're saying, but the description makes me think of Timesplitters.
>>
>>318206212
I know Timesplitters well and while something like it makes sense it isnt it, there isnt any part similar to the description in any of the games.

Is it an FPS or TPS? And PC or console?
>>
>>318205942
>The videogame was DEFINITELY pre 2005.
>I think it was a WW2 setting

That's literally every game from that era.

Anyway I think you might be referring to one of the Timesplitters games.
>>
>>318206212
Meh, I'm not that 'young' though, considering 8 year old kids are online nowadays. I'm 20, but I honestly don't remember how old I was when I watched my dad play. I might have been 5, I might have been 9, but definitely not older. I've been having these flashbacks ever since.

I looked at some TimeSplitters gameplay and it didn't ring a bell, gameplay&environmental wise.
It's sad that the memories are so vague.

>>318206591
I'm 99% sure it was a FPS, that's always how I think back to it. And it was on PC.

Sorry, should've mentioned these aspects.
>>
>>318207121
was it fully 3D, or 2.5D (2d sprites for enemies etc)? Remember anything about the weapons, items, sounds or visuals?

So far it sounds like a mix of several generic FPS games of the very early 00s; could even be false memories.
>>
>>318207121
I have been looking around, and liking timetravel games myself I really cant recognize what game it could be. You really need to remember a bit harder.
>>
>>318207557
Pretty sure it was fully 3D, that's how it is in my memories. That would also make sense considering the other games I can remember my dad playing. (tomb raiders, MDK)

The weapons changed as the atmosphere changed. During the first scene I described you used WW(2) aged weaponry, and during the 'future scene' I'm pretty sure railguns were added. (I have this vague memory where I see colored lines being shot through those streets, might have confused them with the neon bikes?)

And yeah, could very well be false memories: 2 total different games, atmospheres I'm not remembering properly... etc
>>
>>318205942
how about a basic genre of game? fps? isometric action adventure?, was it on consoles? PC?

give us more info anon
>>
>>318208930
FPS and PC
>>
>>318209006
>>318208503
to be honest, your description would fit the Time Commando, a PC & PS1 TPS game.
>>
File: 690699-mortyr_front_smaller.jpg (936 KB, 1000x1416) Image search: [Google]
690699-mortyr_front_smaller.jpg
936 KB, 1000x1416
>>318205942
Mortyr, OP.
>>
>>318209320
Oh man, Mortyr 2093-1944 might so very well be it!
Been skipping through videos and it fits the vague memories.
I can not 100% say it is it, but woah.
It has everything:
A normal start that gradually turns into the future-look, a gun that fires blue rays, robots that I might have mistaken for aliens, all the alleys and stuff. Man, this is gold!

Late edit: WAIT WOW, this is it!
4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0SySZCuHA
That is the vague scene. Spaceships in a hall with something patrolling

Thank you so much anon!!! You have no idea how happy this makes me.
>>
File: 2db.png (25 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
2db.png
25 KB, 500x318
>I'm looking for a videogame from my childhood. The videogame was DEFINITELY pre 2005.

This made me feel fucking old. Up yours /v/ I was having a pleasant night.
>>
File: 1438281633293.jpg (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1438281633293.jpg
26 KB, 640x480
>>318205942
>Pic related: my other childhood game
Been playing this for the first time lately, got it in the sale, really fun. Those nazi sluts make me rock hard.
>>
>>318210892
if you dont like being old why not kill yourself
>>
>>318210892
lol whatever gramps
>>
>>318210892
I'm so sorry anon, forgive me.
But nah, you're not old. I'm just young, so my childhood was around that time.

Intriguing how I remember that 1 scene and how correct I actually was. It all makes sense now. The massive robots. The 'neon-lit' hallways. Oh man. Again, thank you anon.

>>318211109
It's a great game. That's the one game I can fully remember. I must have been a little older when I played/watched that game.
I saw it was on sale too, might buy it just to relive those memories again.
>>
>>318209320

Ah that game had nice floor reflections if I recall correctly. I think that was about the only thing that made it stand out.
>>
File: 1443931307805.jpg (133 KB, 567x309) Image search: [Google]
1443931307805.jpg
133 KB, 567x309
>>318209320
Gosling?
>>
>people ITT
>>
>>318211407
It holds up really well today, controls and movement feel tight as fuck.
>>
File: predator-05_510.jpg (27 KB, 510x275) Image search: [Google]
predator-05_510.jpg
27 KB, 510x275
>>318209320
>>318210629
=]
>>
>>318211957
That's it. I'm buying it as well. Emotional stuff for me man, these games were my childhood. It will be fun to play everything over again, and not be as afraid as I used to be.

Another game I can remember:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_%28video_game%29
Not even on Steam, damn. I can remember that I never got past the first level. Hell, I must have been like 6.
>>
Ok guys now i got one that i can only remember vaguely of. I got the game in a subscription of a gaming magazine that came with a demo of it.
I believe at the start of the game you are in a where house with your gang members (you are the leader i believe). Some shit go's down and you get split up from your gang and you have to start a new one. You did this by fighting people of either money or to tell them to join you. Then once those people are in your game you can fight as them. Anyone remember what this game was?
>>
File: IT's raining.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
IT's raining.gif
371 KB, 500x375
Ok, Now I'll try. This is my childhood game and I've been looking for it for years. I can't remember the name but here's a list of things I can remember.
-Between 1990 and 2000
-Turn based strategy PC game, map is divided in squares, much like FFT or tactics ogre.
-Setting is science fiction, humans vs some Grey lizard aliens
-Units can move and the movement range is displayed with "fuel", can't remember if the attacks work with fuel too.
-Each unit has 2 different attacks. As a kid I tough it was "strong" and "weak" one, but I'm sure they had different effects.
-Units I can remember. HUMANS: 2 man troops, a tank that looked like a green car, a mortar tank that had incredible reach and AoE damage.
ALIENS: A big tank with zebra camo, a guy in some kind of jet pack, a tank that shot some kind of melting orange liquid.
-You moved ALL your units during your turn, like chess. There was actually one of those old 3D rendered images that was a shadow paying chess. Another render I can remember is one of the aliens being judged.
-Music was that funky 90s electro and one of the song names was named ARCO or ARGO or something like this.

If anyone can think about this game, I'll own you my life, I have lost the count of the years I've tried to find this game.
>>
>>318210629
>the default SMG is a Jatimatic
brilliant
>>
File: 1448554448542.gif (186 KB, 678x422) Image search: [Google]
1448554448542.gif
186 KB, 678x422
>>318205942
>"childhood game"
>2005
UNDERAGE CONFIRMED.
Leave now and let the adults talk, son.
>>
>>318212976
Nah, I moved in 2005, when I was 9. It was definitely before we moved. That's why.
>>
>>318212325
Messiah is on GOG, I think.
>>
>>318212630
Kind of sounds like an XCOM clone. Maybe it's on this list?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM#Spiritual_successors
>>
>>318213418
You absolute boss.
https://www.gog.com/game/messiah
Thank you!

>2000
>€9.39
>>
>>318205942
My childhood game
On the original xbox.
Earth is suddenly attacked by some coalition of aliens. First person shooter. A lot of weird "alien style" weapons. Most notably a trident that shoots purple lighting.
Have been searching for years and cant find it.
>>
since op's problem is solved i'll inject my own

this wasn't a "childhood" game, i saw it in an internet video once and i can't find the video for the life of me - i don't remember anything about it other than it was being played on original xbox (i doubt it was exclusive), it was definitely a first-person shooter, it was maybe? vietnam themed, and the blood splatters when you shot guys dripped down if they were on the walls. i think there was some vauge stealth-oriented gameplay too

that's all i remember
>>
>>318213563
hmmm no it's not, but thanks.

More info about this >>318212630
-Graphics were rendered sprites, like Age of Empires 1
-It was mostly vechicles, really not many ground soldier troops
>>
>>318212357
>>318212630
>>318213679
>>318213769
I feel your struggles guys. Don't give up, one day you'll find your childhood games like I found mine.
>>
>>318214002
Aw man, some anon posted an interesting, old turn-based game a while ago that was mostly vehicles, but I fucking forgot what it was called. I think it was a two word title. Maybe "Dark Something", but I'm really not sure about that.
>>
>>318214152
Fuck, problem is, I dunno if a Pre 2000 Strategy game is good for /vr/ and if I should ask there.

>>318214131
It's been 6 years already, but I have faith.
>>
Sheeet I was born in 85 all I can remember from my childhood game is a bunch of damn white blocks moving around the screen. You guys are lucky.
>>
>>318205942
>wolfenstein

based
just playing it myself

>999 ammo for colt
cheater fagot
>>
File: 256px-Nightcastercover.jpg (28 KB, 256x363) Image search: [Google]
256px-Nightcastercover.jpg
28 KB, 256x363
wish more people would nostalgia over nightcaster more never hardly see people mention it on the board
>>
>>318214643
Hell yeah, having faith will get you there man! That's the spirit.

>>318214679
I was born 10 years later, damn, things change rapidly. We sure are lucky!
>tfw this generation won't know tetris

>>318214765
It's an epic game, very underrated. Still looks damn good.
>>
This one is only for ages 30+

Game was on Apple IIGS.

It was a top down dungeon crawler. There was some kind of... dragon, or hint of a dragon.

That's literally all I can remember. It felt like a maze game. I was about 5 or 6 years old. The game must have been made in the 80s. I can't find any pictures online of it.
>>
File: awyeah.png (12 KB, 470x396) Image search: [Google]
awyeah.png
12 KB, 470x396
:)
>>
>>318212630
Could it be MAX ?
>>
OP here again.
I suddenly remember another game I used to watch my dad or bro play.
Thing is I don't really remember anything about the game, I just remember the intro.

Some kid sitting in his treehouse, he overviews the garden through his window then stuff goes down I think? Some apocalypse or whatever. I think it might have been a side-scroller. Maybe some kid chasing his crush. I'm not sure.
>>
>>318212630
Battle Isle?
>>
>>318213769
Cellshock maybe ?
>>
>>318212630
Dominium?
>>
one game on the snes.
you are a ninja or something.
first stage boss is like 2 snakes with opposite colors.
later on you get to fight a TV or something.
and you get grenades.
>>
File: 00000.jpg (40 KB, 606x480) Image search: [Google]
00000.jpg
40 KB, 606x480
>>318209320
>mfw someone not Polish actually played this game

Co kurwa.
>>
>>318218246
Haha, Dutch
>>
File: game.png (24 KB, 786x565) Image search: [Google]
game.png
24 KB, 786x565
Alright, since this is an "old games that you can remember vaguely from your childhood" thread, I'll throw in a couple that I've looked for and never found.

I remember some sort of adventure game that for some reason I also remember it having a sort of veggietales-esque, early 3D aesthetic.

I remember there was a boy and a girl, and I remember there was a pirate that was bringing one or the other up a plank, and you had to drag him left or right and make him fall off of the plank.

>Another game, which I think I remember being on the same disc, or on a separate disc of the same series:

A top down racer game, similar to the gameplay of Kirby Air Ride's Top Ride. It was fully vertical 2d though rather than isometric 3d, and I remember there being a turret in the middle that would aim and fire. I don't recall items, but maybe you could shoot?

I've drawn the best replication from memory that I can remember of this, and if someone can remember it I might know the disc series that it came from that would clue me into the rest. I recall there being a color, and some word; like "discoveries" or "imaginations" or SOMETHING like that, and maybe a year on it. I remember playing it on old windows, the same era as Megarace, Hover, Monster Truck Madness, and the Magic School Bus point and click games.

Someone please help me.
>>
>>318220425

bumping because I can't just let it die on this
>>
>>318210892
10 years
>>
I have one no one can probably help me with

It was a first person shooter that felt a lot like DOOM, late 90s probably before shadow warrior

You were in an office like level fucking people up, there was a pool and American flags on poles in like every office. It was patriotic. I think you could even pick the flags up and throw them at people
>>
>>318220425
>>318220995
Must... not... die...

Damnnnn. Just thought of another game.
Basically you were a guy on a dirtbike and there was this freeroam desert-like environment. There were hills and dead trees and I remember that somewhere out there was an abandoned wooden house that you could drive in to. Pretty sure it had a porch.
>>
Alright I guess I'll try with mine too.

Pretty sure it was on PS1 (vaguely remember the controllers), sprite-based one-on-one fighting game, I seem to remember characters would spin and fly towards the screen when they got KO'd in sort of a Mode7 fake-3D effect.

Anyone?
>>
Fuck it, I gotta try. Two games.
1. This was back in 2001/2000. Windows 98 PC. It was like a multigame program. I distinctively remember a plumber game on it. I remember that on the main menu there was some face that resembled Colonel Sanders (The KFC guy). The music would absolutely give it away. I also recall a stethoscope.

2. This was a medieval game, same time and pc. I remember there was like a market of tents that you clicked on and could talk to people or something. Wizard charachters. When you went to the castle, a big boulder would roll down from the gate or whatever. Also a scene where you're in the woods.
>>
>>318222138
I think I know what you're talking about with 2 but I can't remember the name
>>
A multi game platform. I remember one where it was a game called "alphabet soup" or something, and when you clicked on a cracker, it would say "leave me alone! this cockroach is coming to eat me!"

There were several others, but that's the one that sticks out the most. There was one with a girl and a robot, where you had a start word and an end word, and you needed to change it one letter at a time while keeping it a real word to change it. I remember it being pretty fucking hard.
>>
>>318222329
Shit. I'm trying hard to remember anything else but I simply cannot.
>>
>>318222138
>>318222581
got it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BDWi82Xnw
tents at 9:20
boulder at 15:13
>>
Last gen (ps3/360) or before that (gc/ps2) and definitely a JRPG. Some girl that uses ice skates as her weapons. Trying to remember what game it was.
>>
>>318205942
I try this every year or so fuck it.

There was a game I played on either the SNES or the Sega Genesis (I'm leaning more towards Genesis but it's hard to say).

The game was a platformer set in some kind of spooky castle/haunted mansion filled with traps and possessed shit like swords or whatever. Gameplay wise, you controlled one character at any given time but you could switch around between like 3-4 characters. One of these was a girl who was athletic and shit so she could jump farther and more accurately, there was some little kid who could crawl through tight spaces and there was some dorky kid who had an ability I don't quite recall.

Every time I ask this people bring up shit like Lester the Unlikely or The Lost Dwarves, even the Day of the Fucking Tentacle, but I can assure you it's none of those.

If you're gonna be the anon that figures this out I will suck every single one of your dicks.
>>
>>318209320
I was just about to post this. Glad someone else played this.
>>
>>318205942
I'm just throwing this out here, but maybe it was a Medal of Honor game? That has the world war 2 aspect going for it I think
>>
>>318223016
Already got it, thanks though :)

>>318223006
Glad more people remember it!
>>
>>318222823
Fuck, I guess time really does distort your memories. Thank you so much man.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.