[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saturday night Metroid general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12
Alright lads. Let's get a proper Metroid thread going. That means no Prime 3-D faggotry. Has Ninty basically abandoned their most weird and talented offspring? Will we ever get a 2.5-D game?
>>
File: 1448674664961.png (170 KB, 450x530) Image search: [Google]
1448674664961.png
170 KB, 450x530
Which one was your favorite Prime /v/? If it isnt Prime 2 then I humbly respect your decision
>>
>>318190042
Chances are they may be saving 2.5D Metroid 5 for the NX. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
>>
File: Dangit.png (106 KB, 239x173) Image search: [Google]
Dangit.png
106 KB, 239x173
When did you realize metroid was dead?
>>
Other M is canon. Therefore, Metroid is dead.
>>
>>318191143
Metroid died to me when bumping into a wall was enough to make Samus's suit lose all its powers.
>>
>>318191143
Not in my head canon it is.
>>
>>318190527
Prime 2 certainly refined the formula. The ammo system was a real limitation but the soundtrack was excellent, the level structure broke the standard paradigm of fire level, ice level, water level etc. and there was enough narrative structure to give purpose to the story without hindering gameplay. Also it was the first 3D Metroid to successfully incorporate the Screw Attack, and that is no small feat.
Imagine it you were one of the programmers working at Retro Studios when one day the department head calls in a staff meeting and you're told "Right anon, we couldn't work the Screw Attack into the first prime game so you're getting it this time. You need to work out graphics, controls, mechanics and implementation." I would have bricked it.
>>
>>318190527
Echoes. Better power-ups, all beams saty relevant through-out the game, and Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress are probably my favourite locations in the trilogy.
>>
>>318191118
I realized it was dead when Other M came out. Not because "muh Other M" boogeyman", but because I realized it was trying to move into a more advanced era and not back into a more promitive era. Basically the forcing of 3d over 2d is what's killed it and that was clear to me after Prime finished and we got another 3d game.

What's y'all's favorite powers in Metroid? I've gotta say the Shinespark (just finally read Getter Robo and found out that was from there) or maybe the super ice diffusion missiles from Fusion
>>
>>318191673
*stay
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 600x1256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 600x1256
>tfw you'll never be a cute girl and cosplay Samus
>>
>>318191574

Speaking of, one of the very few things Other M got right was the Speed Booster. I wonder, will we ever see Shinesparking outside of the classic 2D Metroid setting. It 'breaks' those games, but I imagine it to a programming nightmare that would actually break a 3D Metroid.
>>
>>318190989
>Nx
the what?
>>
>>318190042
Fuck 2.5D. It's just a lazy way of making a sidescroller. A straight-up 2D game with hand-drawn graphics would be ideal, but Nintendo seems to have abandoned that kind of game making.
>>
>>318192028
Nintendo''s new console.
>>
>>318192103
already?!
oh, has it been that long?
>>
>>318192073
Everyone is. I dont see 2D games on handhelds or consoles nearly as often as before.

>>318192159
Anon where have you been, we've known of the NX for months now.
>>
>>318192204
well, i only have mobile 3g internet with a small monthly data cap.
that said,ive kinda lost touch with games in general since everything is DRM/updates/patches.

Yes, i have been living under the biggest of rocks.
>>
>>318191735

Favourite power ups? Sonic Boom and Echo Visor (wish they'd done more with this, so much potential) from Prime 2, Other M's Power Bomb, Boost Ball, Spider Ball and Screw Attack
>>
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>318191574
>the level structure broke the standard paradigm of fire level, ice level, water level etc.
I loved this about Echoes. Sanctuary Fortress is my favourite location in any of the Metroid games. Those enemies that hack your suit blew my mind in 2004.

I loved how different Echoes was to the rest of the series, they really changed up the formula of weapons, suit upgrades, enemy and boss designs and as you said environments. It's definitely my favourite Metroid despite being a little too heavy on the backtracking at times.
>>
File: crocride.png (606 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
crocride.png
606 KB, 600x479
reminder he did nothing wrong
>>
>>318193383
>fighting Crocomire

For what purpose?
>>
echoes was great but a few enemies were mighty annoying, and the way the dual world was utilized and the prescence of a hub world made it definitely inferior to prime 1 for me in terms of exploration . Not to mention adding ammo actually really hurt your ability to freely switch up your weapon types as you like, even though the ammo refill system seems to be trying to encourage switching it up. Using dark against enemies to refill light sucks. The last homing element is my favorite weapon in the series though.

It did have some of the best bosses and area concepts and music in the series though.
>>
File: CrocoGun.png (377 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
CrocoGun.png
377 KB, 600x255
>>318193586
It didn't have to be this way
>>
>>318193632
Seriously? Shoot the containers for ammo, not the enemies...
>>
DOes anyone have that comparison chart that shows the sizes of the Prime series' bosses? Blew my mind the first time I saw that, because I always thought Quadraxis was a huge motherfucker.

Turns out the matured Chykka is in fact so much bigger.
>>
File: Size chart 2.jpg (2 MB, 10000x916) Image search: [Google]
Size chart 2.jpg
2 MB, 10000x916
>>318194228
That version is actually erroneous, this is one is more accurate.
>>
>>318194228
>>
>>318192881
Sanctuary Fortress is a fantastic level with great atmosphere, sense of technology and musical accompaniment. I just never cared for it. I can respect the effort and attention that went into it, it's just not my cup of tea. I was more a Torvus Bog kinda guy.
That being said, I absolutely loved The Dark Beam and The Light Suit. They were possibly my favourites in all the Prime series.
>>
>>318190042
>That means no Prime 3-D faggotry

Prime games are just the originals in 3D, faggots. You arent special butterflies for only enjoying the 2D games.
>>
>>318194905
They're really not.
>>
>>318194905
Don't take the bait anon. What's your favourite thing about Prime or the sequels?
>>
>>318195304
>What's your favourite thing about Prime
Everything
Bur especially the music
>>
>>318190042
Fuck you. A real Metroid thread isn't going to be picky about 2D vs 3D bullshit.
>>
File: divide.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
divide.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
play this
>>
>>318190042
super metroid is so good because its so fully realized, not much new ground to tread in 2d metroid left as fusion showed

and prime is just nintentoddler first fps its mediocre
>>
>>318195670
I actually bookmarked some page talking about this game a loong while ago, sounds really promising.
>>
>>318190989
OP here. But what about the WiiU and more importantly the update they forced on us for more powerful hardware, the N3DS? Did they really skip a generation of their home console and their handheld?

>>318192073
That could also work. A hand-drawn 2-D would be ideal, but no fan of the originals would really balk at a 2.5-D gaem.
>>
>>318195947
it's pretty much what a metroid game on n64 would have been like not quite nintendo quality but worth playing
>>
Any love for Corruption? Obviously not as good as the first 2 Prime games but still great.

I know earlier I said Torvus and Sanctuary were probably my favourite areas, but holy shit Bryyo is amazing, especially Cliffside. Thorn Jungle sucks though.
>>
File: Elysia.jpg (153 KB, 1200x587) Image search: [Google]
Elysia.jpg
153 KB, 1200x587
>>318196290
>Any love for Corruption?
But of course. Elysia is my favorite area in the series.
>>
>>318196067
What about the Wii U? it's dead, Nintendo will most likely just make vaporware for it & the 3DS down the line with FF on 3DS, it's obvious that Metroid 5 will come out for the NX as a 2.5D game since Other M failed & 2D is dead.
>>
>>318192028
No offence anon, but have you been living under a rock? It's Nintendo's next gen console/handheld.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.