[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final verdict of this game /v/? In it's current state with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
Final verdict of this game /v/?

In it's current state with out any DLC or mods. Is it better than FO 3? Yes. Is it better than than NV? It some areas yes, in others no.

It is pretty much a straight upgrade over 3, I can not think of a single thing in 3 that I like more than this game that NV doesn't already have on 4. I guess it would be funny to convince father to kill himself saying he should have been aborted though. Anyways this is what 4 does right over NV.

Better gunplay, there is no question this is the most polished. It feels far and away more precise to hit things in the game.
Better looking, don't even pretend FO4 doesn't look better than 3 or NV. Even if it doesn't have great fidelity like the witcher 3, it certainly looks better and is a whole lot more detailed (i'd love to see them try to do something like the institute in FO3's engine)

Crafting, Do I really need to go into this one?

Companions, it feels more varied than NV and this time each character feels fleshed out

Power armor, instead of a bulk article of clothing, you actually feel like a walking tank

However FO NV beats 4 in the following areas

World design, story, choices, and dialog are all beaten by NV. Being a desert ranger just feels infinitely cooler than boston's minutemen. You have far more choices of how you want to take the story than 3 major factions and 1 back up. The dialog is shit 4 and I don't care for the voiced protagonist.

Oh one more thing. MELEE combat. Both unarmed and melee combat just feels weak in this game. I know there isn't a lot of feed back to it, but it is so annoying to be staggered every second when you are trying to hit someone. Yes I know block, but this game isn't dark souls so stop trying to be it.
>>
Piss off
>>
Gunplay is improved
I like the power armor

Story is shit
RPG-wise is shit
>>
>>318154953
/v/'s verdict: Spent 1000 hours 0/10 it's shit not even worth my time pirating. Can't wait till skyrim II to shit on bethesda again
>>
>>318154953
3 has a better ending. Yes, 3 is shit, but think about it for a second.

The differences in ending cinematic in 4 between Minutemen/Railroad/Brotherhood and Institute is literally the first line of dialogue and that's it. It doesn't talk about your choices, it doesn't even use your fucking character. It's fucking insulting.

So in that, at least, 3 is better than 4.
>>
was fun for a playthrough, will need a lot of mods to make it worth replaying though

on one playthrough I feel like I've experienced everything and playing it again with a different build won't make it a very different experience
>>
>>318155046
This t b h
Customisation is very good also, as is settlement building.

But the story and rpg elements are absolute shit. Not much better than a CoD storyline.
>>
>>318154953
Gameplay wise: better then 3 and nv
Rpg wise: worse then paper mario sticker star
Story wise: mediocre but factions actually solved problems differently which was nice
Lacks guns but makes up for it with modifications which are mediocre

7.8/10 too much ghouls
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-28+at+09.48.25).png (46 KB, 1230x371) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-28+at+09.48.25).png
46 KB, 1230x371
>>318154953
Honestly, I think it's the best fallout outside of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout tactics.

It was just another case of "Mods will fix it" and it's pretty much perfect for me right now. When I start a new game and remove the rubber-banding, it'll be perfect.
>>
>>318155534
Is darker nights really that good?
does it make the game spooky?
>>
>>318154953
A sequel is never guaranteed to be better then it's predecessor.
So far FO4 atleast makes marks of gameplay improvement, but that may be it's only good quality.
There's almost no thought into the story and hardly adds onto any lore or brings new concepts to the table.
Dialogue is one of its worst features, but I think the attention that gets masks the other bad areas, like roleplaying, choices and aesthetics.
Roleplaying doesn't exist here. You discover a quest, choose the outcome and that's it, at MOST, while in NV you could choose how the quest begins, how it plays out, how it ends and how the quest itself effects the main storyline.
Choices turn into YES, YES?, sarcasm(YES) AND no(YES).
There's never any compromise and the straightforward quests are always there and almost impossible to fail.
Aesthetics are fine, but dissapointing. Graphics are improved, but the design of guns, armor and animals have no effort into it. There are no aestheticslly pleasing armor, most guns are pipe weapons and animals are either rehashed from previous games or normal animals with minor tweaks.
No guns make an appearance from the previous games, save for the 10mm.

Overrall a 6/10
>>
File: 1447734732598.jpg (76 KB, 671x960) Image search: [Google]
1447734732598.jpg
76 KB, 671x960
Power armor was really well done, bethesta migth have fucked up in other parts, but power armor is one of the best parts of the game.

Gunplay is better, and the melee combat is actually decent, enemies feel your punches this time.

Companions are meh, I dont really care about them, I dont like people disapproving my every move.

The plot is not on the same tier as new vegas, aside from the minuteman there was nothing interesting about the other factions, maybe with dlc and new factions it will be better.
>>
>>318155596
I always end up getting a mod that makes Bethesda games darker at night since they just fuck up how dark "dark" areas actually are. Gives me a reason to use the flashlight.

Nope, not spooky but better
>>
>>318154953
What? Besides all main plot interactions, the majority of companions literally talk to you two times and that's all you know about them. How is that fleshed out?
>>
>>318155596

It's not good but it's the only way to make dark areas not super bright
>>
>>318154953
>Better gunplay
I'd agree with you, its solid, although I do dislike that crits are vats only, really stops me from doing a luck build because vats slows the gameplay down.

>Crafting
Good for what it is but needed more base Items, the modular armor was also a bit of a let down

>Companions
Most fall flat and are two dimensional. Fuck Prison Gravy.

>Power Amor
Less cores, make power armor weapons it felt stupid using anything but a heavy weapon in power armor.

Just my two cents. I agree with you on those last points however.
>>
if fallout 4 was written by obsidian but had to keep the whole son thing, do you think you would be able to use black widow to fuck your son
>>
File: qObsz.jpg (31 KB, 632x351) Image search: [Google]
qObsz.jpg
31 KB, 632x351
Why did Bethesda get rid of Ron Perlman? Too expensive?
>>
File: mod-community.jpg (180 KB, 765x1040) Image search: [Google]
mod-community.jpg
180 KB, 765x1040
It's literally the first Fallout game with no replay value whatsoever.

There are no builds, only GUNS or NO GUNS.

There are no spoopy vaults for you to explore and learn about their crazy experiments.

There are only like 50 quests in total. And most of them are "KILL LOOT RETURN" with little to no story.

Radiant quests are now random settlements being raided non stop Ad Nauseam.

Companions are shoehorned like fuck and will tell about their never ending love for you after 10 minutes at your side.

Settlement building has no depth whatsoever and enemies spawn inside your walls anyway.

Gameplay is top notch though. And the map is pretty dense and well made.

THE VEREDICT

>7/10 not enough dinosaurs
>an average action FPS game that is fun thanks to the complex world and solid gameplay
>>
Power armor was a neat idea with bad execution. They really shouldn't have gave you a full set of T-51 ten minutes in.
Also cores are completely pointless and should have been left out completely.
>>
>>318156656
They give you a suit of t-45.
What was done poorly is that you can easily get a suit of t-60 for doing 3 quests for danse and easily get a X-01 mk III suit from court 38 which isn't overly far from diamond city.
T-51 is literally the rarest power armor set
>>
>>318155534
>Darker Nights
>WET

You sure like the skyrim ports huh
>>
>>318156921
Yes.
>>
>>318154953
The story is rebate, ex-stock down syndrome retard tier
>>
File: ScreenShot1.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot1.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>318154953
you forgot Perk system.

FO4 perks are broken. I'm not saying they are perfect in NV, but there are a lot of ways to exploit them in FO4. That said, VATS is also broken due to perks and rare weapons. See this video as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKc1OUuliw
>>
>>318155046
This. I`ll wait for mods and Fallout: New Something
>>
i've just finished every route:
minutemen>BOS>institute>shit>railroad
curie>piper>dog>shit>everyother companion>2 shits>niggers
graphics: mediocre
writing: awful
gameplay:its fine i guess
potential:had it and lost it
>>
>>318157350
>broken

you dont play a game like this for challenge. the gameplay is not set up to be hard in any significant way

if you "break" the game you're just making it unfun for yourself
>>
>>318157350
>Using VATS at all

VATS was the worse thing to happen to Fallout. Playing without it just makes the game 10 times better.
>>
>>318155534
There are two mods you should try; there is one to get only half of XP for quests, and another to make you cause 30% less damage and take 30% more, which is fair when you consider that without it you can 1shot everything. This +survival is making the game really difficult.
>>
>>318155596
Darker nights +louder rain sounds

you have to try it.
>>
>>318156340
He's the newscaster in the beginning of the game, he's still in it.
>>
Agree on everything but the companions. In 4 they all are boring and for the half that do have individual missions, they're boring as hell.

Curie's mission:
>Go to doctor amari
>Wait
>The end

Also, they literally copy/pasted the brotherhood ending from 3. Literally the exact same sequence in a different location
>>
>>318154953
>Crafting, do I really need to go into this one?
Well considering the 'crafting' is only upgrading your gear or making it lighter, yes.
>>
>>318155179
kek
Unironically exited for the next Elder Scrolls, though.
>>
>Narrative starts setting me up as a successor to the Institute; suddenly need to recover some nuclear macguffin for either the Brotherhood of Steel or the Institute
>Binary choice demands I betray one or the other. No option to hand control over to the BoS
Dammit
>>
>>318157482
True. Somehow, it was a little more fair in FO3. Perhaps because the enemies took too long to kill and using VATS only helps in taking 20-30% of the HP.
>>
Why is the combat in this game so boring?
What the fuck? I played up to the Kellog mission and it was literally a bullet sponge DPS check.
>>
>>318154953

Better looking
>don't even pretend FO4 doesn't look better than 3 or NV

fallout 3
>2008
NV
>2010

it had fucking better! it has been 7 and 5 years respectively you twat
>>
>>318157123
Dem eyebrows
>>
File: ScreenShot198.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot198.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Pros:
>Gunplay is miles better than any 3D fallout to come out before it
>Art direction BTFO's any 3D fallout to come before it.
>None of the three majors factions can really be considered good, they all have outstanding flaws.
>Legendary enemy loot system makes sure there is always something at the end of the tunnel
>All those junk items actually have a use now to the point that you have to decide if you are looting for caps or looting for scrap.

Cons:
>Very few quests in the game, you'll probably end up forcing yourself to just go out and explore more often than doing actual quests
>Absolutely NO quest variety, you will always be sent to a dungeon to clear out some baddies for like 100 caps
>Impossible to be an evil character in its current state, both from choices and voice acting you can only be a do gooder or jesus reborn.
>Power armor is hilarious broken, from the start of the game you are given enough cores that you never really have to get out of it unless you are sprinting everywhere and burning energy.
>Weapon upgrading and crafting systems really take a lot away from the Diablo 2 style loot system since you can just hand pick whatever you like the most for a weapon
>Settlement system makes it impossible to just have your own house. Settlers will always show up to live there even if you don't set up a radio tower.

I've got 150 hours in, so I really can't call it a bad game.
>>
>>318154953
well the gunplay was so completely shit in both F3 and NV that any change they did would improve it.
>>
File: maybe.png (674 KB, 746x1066) Image search: [Google]
maybe.png
674 KB, 746x1066
>>318157123
>>
>>318157732
>Also, they literally copy/pasted the brotherhood ending from 3. Literally the exact same sequence in a different location

POTTERY
>>
>>318154953
>Crafting, Do I really need to go into this one?

Debateable, most of the upgrades do the exact same thing, I found the system kind of lack luster.
>>
File: 142314662169.gif (619 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
142314662169.gif
619 KB, 500x282
I could write an essay but the long and short of it is pretty basic.

It's FO3.5. All of the changes and additions are literally the bare minimum they could change while getting away with a 7 year development time. NV feels more different to 3 than 4 which as quite the accomplishment on their end considering how different the gunplay is. The dialogue is probably the biggest flaw in the game, boiling everything down to basically 3 options that still come to pretty similar endings (Help, Help sarcastically, or Help and extort money).

My basic summary to friends is this. This game sacrificed RPG elements for Gunplay. And the gunplay is still one of the worst aspects in the game, only now i don't have the RPG stuff to enjoy and distract myself from the shitty gunplay.

Also, despite violently shitposting about it for months, even i could have never predicted how fucking garbage the dialogue in this game is. Everything boils down to "Help," "Help Sarcastically" or "Help and Extort them."

Ended up writing an essay anyway.
>>
File: 1417555866744.gif (343 KB, 450x329) Image search: [Google]
1417555866744.gif
343 KB, 450x329
>>318158450

Oh hey, i said the same thing twice and still can't stress how fucking awful the dialogue in this game is.

It's so fucking bad.
>>
>>318154953
This is like the 30th "final verdict" thread I see.
Can all you faggots just go write a dumb review or somewhere already?
No one care about an anonymous opinion about a game.
>>
>>318158095
While the mechanics improved,
I liked the balance in NV much better.

For example, a 50 cal acutally felt somewhat like a 50 cal in NV - in FO4 it's a fucking pea shooter.

And I'm still carrying around a fucking pipe rifle with lvl 40 since it takes down enemies not much slower than late-game weapons.
>>
>>318158174
Agreed. There's almost always an optimal choice. Would you rather have a large mag, a quick eject mag, or a large quick eject mag?
>>
>>318154953

General gameplay is better, and if I'm being honest, scavenging feels more fun than it did in New Vegas or Fallout 3.

Companions are dogshit in combat, but some of them are actually quite interesting (especially Nick and Hancock).

Story is an absolute mess, none of it makes much sense, and the factions are retarded.

There are fewer settlements than in NV, and aside from Diamond City there's only really 2-3 additional places you could call proper settlements.
>>
>>318158746
Suppressors also have zero negative effect and are superior to any other mod in its slot,
now all weapons including my automatic shotgun are silent.
>>
its better than any previous FO. its got better graphics and better controls. the story sucked in all FO games, so I dont really care about that
>>
>>318156137
You can get Crits outside of vats
>>
>>318158691
Really? Are you playing on survival? Pipe is horrible. Even when modded to shoot .45, the combat rifle shoots .45 and it's stronger than any pipe thing. I rarely used pipe, that's why i have about 12000 .38 rounds
>>
>>318158918
>best FO is the one that makes the best console shooter

fuck you
>>
>>318158965
Playing only on hard, didn't want the enemies even more bullet-spongey.

Took out Sarge with the pipe rifle easily.
>>
why is the melee so slow and why are they forcing me to use vats
>>
it's fun

I feel bad for pirating it (well not really) considering I spent over 100 hours already

ill buy the goty edition a year later with all the DLC and mods and play again
>>
I don't mind the story itself. Taking out the fact that there is no actual choices or dialogue options, the MSQ missions were fun for the most part and some of them were downright cool, like the one where you're going into Kellogg's memories.

But, well, it seems like the people designing this game didn't really communicate well with one another. Settlement designing is so fucking awkward because first of all, the interface is retarded and terrible (why not an optional aerial POV?). Second of all, most of the settlements are bumpy or rocky without a lot of flat planar surfaces to build on. So you get stupid looking shit like buildings that float in the air instead of sitting on the ground.

After you finish the MSQ it seems like there's nothing else interesting to do. The Minutemen quests are so fucking repetitive and samey, even the ones that are supposed to be "unique." The side quests are shitty because, again, no meaningful choices can be made in most of them, and the ones where you CAN make choices, the choices don't really have consequences.

I played this for, maybe 60-70 hours? And I'm already sick of it, and feel no motivation to play more because all that's left to do are repetitive "infinite quests" or repetitively searching the waste to unlock repetitive "unique quests."
>>
>>318154953
Better than FO3/NV were at launch but thats about it.
>>
>>318158073
>all those supply lines

literally why
>>
>>318159342
supply lines increase happiness
>>
>>318159342
So I can share supplies between settlements, durr
>>
Did anyone experience a sudden food shortage? I used to have 300 tato plants in my workshop ready to be planted but when I recently checked my game, I suddenly only had 130 left.
>>
>>318159397
It'd be more efficient to just build a surgery and assign a guy to that, instead of making him a provisioner desu.
>>
Playing FO4 makes me want to replay NV again.

I'm still kinda holding out that something interesting will happen in this game - even FO3 had a few interesting parts, but it hasn't happened yet after days of playing it.

Kill - loot - repeat can only keep you interested for so long.
>>
>>318159503

Yeah, but if you connect (A + B) and (B + C), then (A + C) are connected too. You don't actually need to connect every single settlement to each other one.
>>
>>318158954
No you can't, if sneak attack critical doesn't count.
>>
>>318159605
I don't, It just looks like I do because I have all the settlements. When you sent a settler to be a supply goyim it takes up a space in the town you send him to. So I send them to shitter settlements I never use, then attach other settlements to those settlements.
>>
I need help with the mission where you're supposed to go into the building and kill all the raiders. Has anyone done that one?
>>
>>318159847
gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8

Seriously, you asked this question hoping to get responses like "there are other quest types?" Well I gave you one, now fuck off.
>>
>>318159965
Not him but why are you so mad?
>>
>>318155662
>No guns make an appearance from the previous games, save for the 10mm.

There is the Laser Rifle, the Fat Man and the Hunting Rifle from out of my head.
>>
>>318158450
You forgot the 4th option: "No" Which is either blatantly ignored and starts the quest anyway, or just a "I'll come back to say yes later"
>>
>>318154953
You are the first person I agree with on this game in every respect. I have done very little melee combat in the game so I can't speak for that, but I'm sure you would agree that the melee is still an improvement over the last 2.
>>
>>318154953
good shooter shit RPG
>>
>>318157707
No he isn't that's an impersonator.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.