[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pic related any good? Ive never played a 4x strategy game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: Story_Image_1.png (353 KB, 616x340) Image search: [Google]
Story_Image_1.png
353 KB, 616x340
Is pic related any good?
Ive never played a 4x strategy game before and the collection is on sale.
>>
>>318131237
It isn't just good, it's the best 4x game ever. Buy it OP.
>>
It's catan. If you like managing resources while scouting out enemy territories and figuring out what they're gonna do next, go ahead. Also, one of the DLCs is not included in the collection, the one that reskins the humans.
>>
>>318131343
You serious? Because this looks fucking gorgeous.
>>
It's amazing.
>>
>>318131510
>it isn't just good, its the best
>meaning its better than good
READING COMPREHENSION
>>
>>318131510
It is one of the best 4x to come out since forever. It's really worth a buy
>>
>>318131583
>reading comprehension
No shit, nigger. Im asking if you are bullshitting me or not.
>>
Bought it earlier and enjoying it.

However I'm a massive retard who can't even win on easy. How do I git gud
>>
>>318131715
>Want to play strategy games
>Looks like something I can get into
>lolnousuckdick.png
>>
>>318131715
Learn to manage your shit
>>
>>318131486

Never played Catan, but EL just felt like I was trying to optimize resource production for 75% of the game, 15% expanding, 5% scouting and 5% of pretty crappy combat. I haven't got the DLC though.

Where I felt there were multiple, clear and viable paths to victory in Civ 5 that I had a firm understanding on how to both utilise and counter, I felt like everything in EL devolved into war, which was a shame because the combat seemed tedious.

Looks amazing though.
>>
>>318131715
Updating the equipment of your troops is important.
>>
>>318131635
why would you counter that something looked good if he was saying it was good
read again
>>
>>318131237
I am one of those ossified Civ4 purists and I STILL prefer Civ4 but this is a really good 4x.
>>
>>318131940
Good point
>>
>>318131715
Play with a beginner friendly faction like the Wild Walkers. They're as "vanilla" as you can get and their forest production bonus is easy to utilize and benefits you throughout the whole game, plus their starting units and hero are ranged which is always a nice bonus.
>>
>>318131635
I wasn't joking at all, it really is one of the best strategy games to come out in the last decade. It's fantastic. None of the factions play alike, the region system is pure fucking genius and it makes every single map generated feel natural. Panning over the map to see various monolithic cultures and their respective and equally monolithic cities, it's pure fucking magic. A turn based TBS where factions -actually- feel different to eachother and there's also a quests system and RPG elements for your heroes. Matches don't boil down to who has the most nukes the soonest unlike civ.

The worst score I can think of giving it is a 9/10, 1 point removed just for my autistic gripes that only really apply to me like "drakken army should be stronger" and "why can't I hide region borders for perfect screenshots?"
>>
>>318131968
Ive never played Civ, so I am unbiased.
>>
>>318131237
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfUHJZeJh3o

>the universe awaits the flowering of our purpose
>>
>>318132295
>region borders
I wonder if there is a mod for that
>>
>>318131715
Play as Broken Lords, hoard and bathe in Dust, spawn doomstacks in a turn, conquer all
>>
>>318132351
God I love music like this.
It makes me think of The Witcher and Risk of Rain to an extent.
>>
>>318132351
I love that new fucking track that came with Shadows

https://youtu.be/twcv1rMcNGA
>>
What should a player focus on first? Dust or Industry for the research? When do you know how to stop researching and start building armies? This isn't as fun as CKII where I can play an incestual lord who kills everyone who poaches a deer
>>
Its beautiful and well designed in combat. Problem is, every game ends with a domination victory because its so much faster and easier than any other victory condition. It doesn't help that half the other victory conditions force you to take territory from another civ. So you might as well just keep going and win through fighting.

I play the game when I want to kill stuff. But I play Civ V more because I enjoy focusing on building and diplomacy more.
>>
>>318132983
Industry is stronger early game while compounding dust bonuses later gets shit done way faster than anything. Having lots of dust early though can help manage army upkeep.
>>
>>318132983

Rush science. Once you pass a computer in age, upgrade your units and kill that computer. Rinse and repeat until you win.
>>
>>318132295
I'd also like to add that the faction designs themselves are all just fucking wonderful. Diplomatic dragon-people, immortal ghosts trapped in armour fallen from grace, run of the mill elves/woodland people, a sadistic cult of mages, techno-viking scavengers, a race of all consuming insects, a sneaky band of assassins and spies, a mobile clan of traders and a bunch of really fucking creepy mechanical cultist beings. The world that they've built with these factions, on their planet called Auriga, I just know right now I'll never forget this game. It oozes so much personality and passion, the fucking quests and their lore for each faction are amazing.

Everyone buy the game right now.
>>
I like the game a lot but I wish the combat was less tedious. I usually just auto my way through all the battles.

I'd still recommend the game though, it's fantastic in almost every way.
>>
>>318133012
Just play as roving clans or drakken, become the puppet master
>>
>>318133364

I think most will agree that the art design was the biggest focus of the game. Which is fine.

But I wish the custom factions had more variety. Various unique skills that aren't just parts of the other factions. All I end up doing is just making a slightly altered Vaulters race.
>>
>>318133364
D-did you say techno-vikings?
>>
Is any of the DLC any good?
How about the Emperor Edition, is there any reason to upgrade?
>>
>>318134054
There's a mod for that mate, it doesn't add a bunch of OP shit, it does exactly what you said, just throws in a bunch of non faction specific traits you can pick.
>>
>>318134148
That I did lad.
>>
>>318134184

But if you have to rely on a mod to add content the base game should have, it points out an issue the game itself has.
>>
>>318131510
>looks fucking gorgeous
It looks great technically, has good style but it's extremely crowded visually, your cities and regions will turn into a giant sprawling mess after a while.

World map graphics are probably my least favourite thing about this game.
>>
>>318134151
Yeah just buy the EL collection, you get everything except a pointless faction reskin.
>>
>>318134325
It's not a big mod dude, it does what you asked, just throws in a couple more traits if you like fucking around with custom factions, not exactly a huge flaw.
>>
>>318134285
Im fucking sold
>>
>>318134151
>Is any of the DLC any good?
Guardians adds big mega units, competitive achievements (where getting it first nets you a completely unique tech, unit item or resources) and national wonders.
Shadows adds espionage and stealth which you probably won't use very much unless you play the new Forgotten faction specializing in it, plus you can pillage enemy villages and extractors for cash and resources without declaring war.
Echoes adds 7 new BGMs and some unit equipment.
Lost Tales adds minor faction related quests and rewards.

If you don't have even the base game, just get the collection.
>>
Don't mind me, just posting screens
>>
Am I the only one who really disliked it? It felt like utter shit compared to Age of Wonders.
>>
>>318134576
>>318134775
I should clarify. I already have the base game, but none of the DLC/special edition stuff. I'll probably pick up at least one or two DLC packs.

How about the $3 Emperor Edition upgrade? Is EE like a season pass, or does it give you different stuff?
>>
>>318134871
In that case just get guardians and shadows if you're tight on cash or something, they're all worth it really but those two are the "main" ones you should be considering the most.
>>
>>318134869
Yes, you're the only one

:(
>>
>>318134871
Emperor edition just adds one new hero, one new minor faction, the game's soundtrack and additional content for Dungeon of the Endless, which is a different game by the same developers.
>>
>>318134796

Looks like a style that begs for good AA
>>
>>318134963
>In that case just get guardians and shadows if you're tight on cash or something
Thanks for the advice. I'm not particularly short on cash or anything, I'm just buying two copies of each pack so my friend and I can play.

>>318135102
Oh, okay, I'll pass on EE then.
>>
>>318134796
Moar
>>
>>318135105
I play on a higher res now so I don't notice the aliasing much.
>>
Shitty combat is what turned me off this game. It's the Battlefront of 4X
>>
>>
>>318134869
I wouldn't call it utter shit, but its combat is a mess.

I've no idea why they're trying to reinvent the wheel, I just want a modern Master of Magic.
>>
File: 1391200246788.png.jpg (9 KB, 202x204) Image search: [Google]
1391200246788.png.jpg
9 KB, 202x204
>>318134796
>money tree, wizard stone, life tree, aziotic exotics
>>
>>
I prefer playing the elves because of fast, cheap units. But then winter comes and I wish I was Vaulters...

Time to make a custom race.
>>
A tabletop RPG set in Auriga would be the tops.
>>
>>318134796
Playing on second best setting, why doesn't mine look like that
>>
why do people hate me expanding our empire
how do i make them happy
how do i unconvert converted towns
what the fuck is up with these mechanics
>>
>>318134151
Major DLCs are worth it. Emperor upgrade isn't.
>>
>>318135801
To deal with expansion disapproval, research and build approval boosting buildings in your cities. You can also activate luxury boosters (although the cost rises depending on how many cities you have) or research techs that specifically reduce expansion disapproval.

Approval isn't really that hard to deal with if you know how.
>>
>>318135801
Stop building snake-like cities. I know it's tempting to reach out for more resources, but in the end you set yourself back due to unhappiness. You have to build districts next to each other so their level goes up.
>>
>>318135801
>why do people hate me expanding our empire
If your country bought/captured a shitton of land in buttfuck africa, doubling your country's population overnight, and announced that they were now official citizens and had the same rights/entitlements/voting power as you, would you be happy?

>how do i make them happy
There are several upgrades in the tech tree that increase happiness. There's city improvements to build, and some luxury resources can be activated in the resource screen to increase happiness, too.

>how do i unconvert converted towns
I think you need to destroy the city. Build the "salt the earth" improvement in the city screen to do that. But there's almost no reason to do that, you're better off just working with the city.

>what the fuck is up with these mechanics
It's mostly a balance thing. More cities means more resource generation and production, so they needed something to curb quick expansion. Without happiness it'd be a contest to see who can build cities the fastest.

You could try researching upgrades/building improvements to get more happiness, or just try to make a smaller empire work.
>>
>>318136305
OH, and what >>318136205 said. If a city tile has enough city tiles adjacent to it (3-4 I think), it upgrades to a level 2 city tile and starts generating happiness instead of unhappiness.
>>
>>318135801
>why do people hate me expanding our empire
Could be many reasons really, it could be that your people don't like the idea of having to sustain more people. It could be that they don't want you to attract attention from other factions.

>how do I make them happy
Build buildings that produce happiness like sewers stuff like that OR you can activate luxury resources. Luxury resources are stuff like gold, pretty flowers, just shit that people like, you can activate multiple luxury resources for a certain amount of timy to make your population happier.

>how do i unconvert converted towns
idk fuck cultists I barely play with them, if I do play with them I just destroy every single cultist controlled minor faction I can reach.

>what the fuck is up with these mechanics
They're not Civ5 mechanics.
>>
I've been meaning to look into this game, maybe I'll get it on sale now.

Any other 4x games that are good? I've been looking around and found this game, Galactic Civilizations and Sorcerer King.
>>
>>318136985
Sorcerer King is a small game with no replayability, the price for what it is is almost criminal. You're better off getting Fallen Enchantress LH. That game is not without problems either, but at least it has tons of content.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.