[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are SSD's a worthwhile purchase for vidya? Are most games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: samsung-ssd-840-evo.jpg (39 KB, 620x340) Image search: [Google]
samsung-ssd-840-evo.jpg
39 KB, 620x340
Are SSD's a worthwhile purchase for vidya? Are most games even able to take advantage of the increased speeds that SSD's offer?
>>
They do help a lot and they are really cheap nowadays.
My next rig will probably be pure ssd or ssd's plus a
Low rpm green hdd
>>
>>318119787

yep, especially if they load files often (i.e. path of exile)
>>
Definitely worth it; an ssd reduces load times in most games by a ton.
I haven't had to deal with the long load times everyone's complaining about in Fallout 4 because I play it on an ssd
>>
>>318119787
dont listen to the poorfags, i recently installed a 250gb samsung one and it makes a difference in certain games. the SSD wont give you more fps, but it will reduce a lot of stuttering in games like the witcher 3 where there is a lot of texture streaming from the HDD. the faster loading is just a bonus.
>>
SSDs are a worthwhile purchase no matter what.

I can't go back to HDDs now other than pure storage for media.
>>
>niggers in this thread don't know how to symlink
>save precious SSD space for more important shit
>>
>>318122287
There is no need for symlink now when you can pick installation folder in steam
Unless you mean for files like cutscene movies
>>
They help with speeding up loading and rendering if a game is constantly doing that. I recommend you have an HDD on you with a backup of all your files, though. SDDs tend to wear out faster than HDDs.
>>
>>318119787

I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, because you should nowdays have 1 ssd and 1 hdd for balance, but SSD is not as blazing fast as a lot of people make it out to be.

It is FASTER yes, but not by a super ton.

To give an example, there is an in-game add going on in PSO2, that shows the load times between hd and ssd, and the difference is 12 seconds and 10 seconds respectively.

This is also representative of what I see with pretty much everything I run on my SSD versus stuff that I don't (I even installed stuff on both drives and compared). It is only about 10-20%ish faster. Faster yes, OMFG fast? no.

Basically don't have super high expectations to the terms people make them out to be.
>>
+Speed
+Less power consumption
+No noise
+Less prone to failure/no moving parts

-Bad storage/price
-bad storage/slot
>>
>>318125425

>storage/slot

Slot? Like drive slot?

It has no moving parts, you can tape 200 of them all over in your case, it's not like they need to be secured down solidly like an HDD.
>>
>>318125815
SATA
>>
SSD is a must have at this point. When I try to play games with loading screens on a HDD, I just want to beat my head against a wall. I can't go back at this point.
>>
Its good for games with big world like MMOs.
For most games it doesnt matter.

SSDs are primarily for OS performance.
>>
I don't like how little space SSDs have.

When modern games are starting to take up 40-50 GB, only having 250 GB free means you can only keep a few games installed at a time.
>>
Isn't ssd like a flash memory similar to sd card? Why makes it degrade faster than sd card since there's no moving part.
>>
>>318126542
most motherboards fit more than 8 sata ports
>>
SSD's are now one of my top priorities when it comes to hardware. Honestly they possibly make the most noticeable difference when upgrading. Even moreso than GPU/CPU and RAM.
>>
>>318119787
Even if you load pretty fast you'll have to wait for the rest to load, unless you are a casual that plays singleplayer games.
>>
>>318125425
>+Less prone to failure/no moving parts

Don't SSDs shit to bed though after a certain amount of writes though?
>>
>>318127485
At what fucking price range? I am pretty sure that you are full of shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.