[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I git gud at FTL? I only have the first 2 ships and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: nyet.jpg (490 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nyet.jpg
490 KB, 1280x720
How do I git gud at FTL?

I only have the first 2 ships and I keep getting my shit pushed in when I get to the flagship fight.
>>
bash your fucking skull against a wall until something useful comes out.

I don't mean that to be insulting, I just mean that eventually you will lose enough that you "get it".
>>
>>318117204
Play with the Engi Cruiser. It's very powerful. Due to Ion Blast II being incredibly good, your starting weapon setup allows you to fight enemies with even 3 layers of shields quite easily. Just focus on defense. Don't let your crew die, and for the love of god, stay the fuck away from giant alien spiders.
>>
Fucking stop. The RNG is just bullshit.

I had a fight with the flagship where I was untouched until the middle of my laser beam cut. Fucking random missile blew out my weapons and stopped my laser from cutting the last two points of the its hull.

Then I tried to keep the shield down with just basic shots and I ended up hitting an attack drone instead. From then on I couldn't touch it and I went from full health to 0. I probably should've jumped away and regained composure but goddammit I was too furious.

Don't play it. It's bullshit.
>>
>>318117385
Yeah I figured that was basically how it went.

>>318117770
First time I tried that ship I only got to sector 2 before getting killed and haven't touched it since. I suppose I'll give it another go if you insist.

>>318118287
BUT ANON VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>318117770
Oh, I forgot: maybe don't play Advanced Edition until you can beat the flagship with some consistency in the regular game. I don't think AE makes the game harder necessarily, but it adds a layer or two of alternate mechanics that are better left unexplored, for later.
>>
>>318117204
Get defense drones against the missiles for the first flagship form. Have a large crew or anti-personal drones for the second one. For the last form have weapons that fuck up shields.
>>
>>318118462
Yeah I havent turned it on yet. I figure I'll wait til I know what I know what I'm doing before going to the advanced crap.

>>318118503
Awesome thanks.
>>
>>318118402
It's not worth it man. I haven't gotten angry at a video game in a long time before this one.
>>
>>318118503
Well, basically this.
>>
>>318118869
but anon it's fun.
>>
Get cloak, get RNG'd by weapon pickups and availability in shops, visit as many points as possible per region, and blow up the flagship's missle launcher.
>>
there are many strats to defeat the flagship but for your first kill, probably the easiest way to beat it is by getting a cloaking device and popping it during energy overloads.

visit as many points as possible in each sector for more $$
>>
Get in the habit of pausing a lot. As in spamming space until a missile is near before shunting life support into engines. That will help you micromanage against its many forms.

Try to get a cloak if you can, a level one cloak lasts just long enough to survive the flagship super attacks.

Unless you're on hard the flagship's weapons are isolated, there are lots of ways to take advantage of that, like boarding and firebombs.

In general, upgrade shields first, the scrap you save being unkillable by many early ships pays for itself. It's okay to be underpowered if you're good at micromanaging your systems... IE power to shields vs lasers, to engines vs missiles.
>>
IMO the advanced edition is easier, the flagship has more tricks up its sleeve, but the shops sometimes have two pages of goods, which eases the rng damage. Also, a hull repair drone is good for the flagship fight. Engi a is noob friendly, but stay out of nebulas, ion storms will shut you down hard.
>>
>>318117204
start on easy
then when you can beat it 90% of the time play on normal
>>
File: Hostile.png (48 KB, 189x207) Image search: [Google]
Hostile.png
48 KB, 189x207
>>
>>318118287
Sounds you got fucked and couldn't recover in time, try again fag
>>
The game's rng can be frustrating and learning by losing is a big part of the process. Dont be discouraged.
>>
>>318117204
use cloaking holy shit
>>
Learn to Micromanage. Mantis ship is EZ Mode (not too sure with the new content though) and will help you master basic micro skills. Get as many jumps as possible, every time you leave a sector the red line should be covering you next turn or the turn after that.

Any game where you have access to the Scrap Recovery Arm in the first three sectors is winnable.
>>
what are some good FTL mods
>>
>>318117204
>git gud
>in a game that is 99% RNG
KEK
>>
>>318124062
RNG or not, almost every beacon offers potential rewards. No piece of equipment is useless or bad. You can make pretty much every item combination work. Since it's not reflex-based, FTL is a game where you can overcome the odds and don't have to be carried by luck.
>>
>>318124620
Yeah nah fuck you mate, getting scrap/random crewmate/easy loot in a row compared to getting fireblasted from every planet is not PURELY LUCK AT ALL.

There's a difference between overcome the odds, and overcome bullshit, RNG is the artificial difficulty in that game, deal with it.
>>
I love the game but yes it's true that a large portion of the game is RNG
sometimes you'll just get shit events and stores will never sell weapons and you'll just be fucked, nothing to do about it
>>
>>318124851
I don't have any actual arguments, but let me tell you that RNG in FTL is much more manageable than in The Binding of Isaac. In TBoI you are very reliant on items the game throws at you, and quite a few of them are just plain bad or even actively harmful. You almost always have to fight in each room, and have to rely on your reflexes to not get hit too much.

FTL is so nice in comparison. It gives you the option to escape to another beacon if the one you're in is awful. You get to plan how many beacons you'd like to visit each sector, and the game even lets you choose how much risk/reward you want in the next sector (friendly/civilian/hostile/nebula), and what kinds of encounters you can expect depending on what race controls the sector. You are given so much choice and so many options when it comes to compensating for bad RNG.
>>
>>318125204
>>318124851
Play using ships like the Engi A and Zoltan B if you're worried about the RNG, both of those ships can defeat anything in the game with their base setup and don't require a shop to go past sector 5. The Fed Cruiser can do the same as well due to its ability to pierce shields.

Speaking of the Federation Cruiser, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Fed C. You get a flak II instead of an artillery beam, and it costs 4 power to just make it equal to a normal flak II. Really hurts that later on it'll miss over half its shots consistantly. I think they should've made each rank shoot more flak at a time instead of improve the cooldown, make it 7/10/15/18 flak at 30/27/24/21 seconds for investing in something that pales in comparison to the artillery beam.
>>
>>318126295
>I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Fed C
yeah it's not better than the shield-ignoring beam that also happens to be the best weapon in the game, but
BUT
potentially
3x flak II
I got that setup once
and it wasn't very good
>>
>>318117204
dying
>>
>>318126645
The flak becomes underwhelming because it's got a 50% higher miss chance per shot. Later on, some ships will have 40-50% evade, meaning you'll miss 60-75% of your shots.
Which is depressing. Might as well saturate the enemy in lasers.
>>
>>318124851
Spoken like a true paperweight, Plan A isn't working time for... Plan A!!
WTF IT ISN"T WORKING Q_Q
>>
>>318117204
you can backup your savefiles for each turn
>>
>>318117204
Upgrade shields as your first priority, then a few engines and power. Then try to buy something good from a store, save ~80 scrap to do so. Basically doing this and not upgrading useless systems allowed me a near 100% winrate on normal with the Kestrel B. That's a really nice ship and fairly accessible, try to unlock it.
>>
>>318117204
Find the mod that disables fleet pursuit. Then enjoy a comfy as fuck space cruise.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.