[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC games used to be sold physically in stores on multiple discs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 1444784959507.jpg (705 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444784959507.jpg
705 KB, 1080x1080
PC games used to be sold physically in stores on multiple discs to hold all the data so you could install it without needing internet or some other service.

Now you can barely find PC games on the shelf in stores anymore and even when you do 9 times out of 10 they come with one disc with virtually no files and they require you to download and make a steam account just to download the rest and play the game.

Maybe I'm just cynical and jaded, but does anyone else have a serious problem with this shit? Also it must suck for people with internet caps.
>>
Really? There's a pretty well stocked PC section in my local GAME store.
>>
>>318113770
I miss the huge cardboard boxes with small cd cases inside as well as actual instruction booklets, not some fucking joke like one-page-long flyer telling you to download a pdf from website.
>>
>>318113923
There is usually a few games, but it's either the brand new huge titles like fall-out 4 or blizzard games. There aren't really many small non-chain stores around where I live. Just shit like gamestop
>>
>>318113770
>tfw no qt sesame street onesie to impress the ladies
I don't know this level of comfy
>>
>>318113770
i'm okay with it because on a pc, i have full access to my filesystem so i can copy and back up as i please

i wouldnt be okay with this on a console, where things can be removed without my knowledge or consent

there are obviously exceptions
>>
Didn't gtav come with 8 discs or some ridiculous shit?
>>
>purposely pre-order a physical copy so i dont have to download the entire game
>the game was a piece of paper with a steam code

Fuck this gay earth
>>
I'm okay with it because packaging is a big cost when it comes to game production and I'd rather pay less and not get physical products that I throw out or that just sit around collecting dust. The waste bothers me more than the inconvenience of download, the fact that it removes a cost for developers is I guess good incentive for them.
>>
you can thank Gamestop for running all the other game shops out of business, and they don't stock anything but World of Warcraft boxes because their business model relies on massively profiting off used console gamers buying used copies. basically, the perfectly legal second-hand goods market--which is no better than piracy in the opinion of comes to publisher/developers--killed PC physical distro.
>>
>>318113770
They also came with big manuals that had a lot of stuff to read, and often included other extras as well. TIE Fighter included a whole novella about the player character's background, training, and first mission.

Even if a physical game isn't just a Steam code, they NEVER include stuff like that except very occasionally in overpriced collector's editions.

I miss physical copies. I don't want gaming to go all digital. I also really don't like it when people practically worship Steam.
>>
>>318113770
How the fuck did they get a cat to stay clam enough to stuff him in that suit?
Mine would've torn my face off halfway in
>>
>>318113770
when the pack-in is now a single slip of paper between the case and the CD - not a proper CD booklet, not a manual, certainly not a wall appendix or map - what is even the point of buying PC software at retail anyway? publishers killed physical sales as much as any retailer or distributor.

>>318116136
cat sedatives
>>
>>318113770
You didn't say what your problem with it is.

For most people it's way more convenient this way. You don't have to go to the store to buy a new game.
>>
>>318113770
It sucks. I've always hated Steam.
>tfw still have my FEAR case that came with the bonus comic
>>
Having to activate a physical copy of a game on Steam is bullshit. I quit collecting discs after this became the rule.
>>
File: 1428198236219.jpg (14 KB, 425x302) Image search: [Google]
1428198236219.jpg
14 KB, 425x302
>one disc with virtually no files and they require you to download and make a steam account just to download the rest and play the game

I dropped out of modern pc gaming once this became the norm, the idea of binding my vidya to a third-party program is absolutely sinister.
>>
File: 4L_8fZMceNS.jpg (84 KB, 604x507) Image search: [Google]
4L_8fZMceNS.jpg
84 KB, 604x507
That’s a cute cat. :3
>>
File: 1446774570890.png (75 KB, 348x301) Image search: [Google]
1446774570890.png
75 KB, 348x301
>>318117267
>>
>>318117205
fucking this, you get it man
fuck you steam fagots are gay and need to be but fucked so it gets all the gay outa them
>>
>>318116798
A friend of mine got Fo4 but he can't play it because it'd take him a week to download thanks to his internet cap. It was a physical copy and the disc had 1/5th of the data on it, the rest needed to be downloaded on steam.
>>
>>318117267
that's a cute bliny
>>
I stopped PC Gaming when I bought a copy of Fallout: NV. At the time I had a very slow internet connection and couldn't get steam to validate the damn thing.

I don't want a fucking steam account. Fuck.

I remember the good ole days when I could buy a disc, type in a code and play.
>>
I'm slowly stopping pc gaming

I have really shit Internet, I don't want to spend weeks downloading a game. Physical discs on consoles is good for me. Sacrifice quality for the ability to play it when I buy it
>>
File: 1448495689222.gif (3 MB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
1448495689222.gif
3 MB, 257x212
>>318118606
>Fallout: NV

Are you me?
>>
>>318117205
>I dropped out of modern pc gaming once this became the norm, the idea of binding my vidya to a third-party program is absolutely sinister.

And yet so many people talk about it as if it were not just tolerable, but good, to have games bound to Steam. That's what I really don't understand. I mean, I'm not as enthusiastic about digital distribution as most people, but I do appreciate that GOG lets you download the game, install it, and not have to launch it through another program. I don't get the emotional attachment to Steam.
>>
>>318119561
>I don't get the emotional attachment to Steam.

anime avatars and friends lists
>>
>>318119561
Steam has been the first port of call for new mustards for quite a while now, it IS pc gaming to a lot of the userbase and I think that's where the attachment comes from.

Also >>318121318
It's a gamer alternative to facebook at this point
>>
>>318121686
You know, the whole "Gamer" culture and the glorification of steam by retards(MASTER RACE) is what really pushes the pc enthusiast aside.
>>
File: 213123.gif (980 KB, 245x174) Image search: [Google]
213123.gif
980 KB, 245x174
>>318113770
>internet cap
>CURRENT YEAR

who has a cap these days? Its $80 for 100gb or 100 for unlimited. If you have a cap then its your own stupid fault.
>>
>>318119561
you dont need to lauch steam to launche steam games though. Just move the installation folder like you would with the games on steam you mod.
>>
>>318119561
I never felt my games are binded to Steam. Steam for me is just convenient eay to manage games, social media, and way to reward the developers.
Because, you know. I born pirate. Discs and physical shits mean jack shit to me.
>>
>>318122979
Unless you're in Australia where damn near every company has a cap.
Some companies claim to be unlimited, but that's literally always "we're marketing it as unlimited to draw in idiots, but it's really 500gb, hope you don't notice ;);)"
Fucking cunts, I swear.

And then the one or two companies that you could feasibly get unlimited data from have a shitty coverage area.

Fucking Telstra eating up most of the business, then giving people shitty plans and constantly lying about fucking everything and trying to charge more for shit they said was free.
>>
>>318113770
>having to get it from steam/link it to steam
ill just pirate it thanks
>>
>>318122979
whats your speeds nigga
>>
File: 1448056124647.gif (2 MB, 300x403) Image search: [Google]
1448056124647.gif
2 MB, 300x403
>>318113770
As someone with Internet caps, kill me.
>>
at least we have two decades of awesome PC games to play instead.

Remember when Shareware was a thing?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.