[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got MGSV when I got my video card, but I've yet to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: mgsv.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mgsv.jpg
209 KB, 1280x720
I got MGSV when I got my video card, but I've yet to play it. I've never played an MGS game in my life. Can I play this without playing the other MGS games and not be totally confused? I don't have access to the older games.
>>
chronologically, it's the third or fourth game in the series, so you're not missing too much by playing it first. However, you will be confused and fuck and not have any idea what's going on, but that's just because it's a metal gear solid game.
>>
If you play without really caring about the story the game will majorly suck. To be honest the only reason I enjoyed it so much was because it was tied as a sequel.
>>
You are better off not knowing quite frankly. it really screwed up with the canon a bit

MGS2 and MGS4 are really the only ones where its required anyways
>>
>>318101431
Actually, if you have a video card that was in the 9XX series and an appropriate processor you should be able to play the other games through adequate emulation.

The game does enough of an info dump on who's who you should understand, it just won't feel important.
>>
Thanks guys. I'll try emulation and if all goes wrong then I'll just go straight for V.
>>
>>318101431
So long as you get that Big Boss was basically Soldier Jesus and Kaz Miller was his best mate. They get betrayed by crippled Judas and sexy teenage Judess. Also there's giant robots.
>>
>>318101969
>it really screwed up with the canon a bit
Not really, if anything it manages to fix the clusterfuck that the canon had become because of MGS4.
>>
>>318101431
>>318102549

Nah dude just either don't play MGSV but play the others or just play MGSV.
>>
Chronological order (Not Release)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Portable OPs (Side Story, no plot significance)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Paid Demo)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear (The Old MSX and NES game, available on HD version of MGS3)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX Version only, NES Sanke's Revenge game is non-canon and unofficially made, MG2:SS is also available on MGS3 HD version)
Metal Gear Solid (GC Version uses MGS2's engine and has matrix style cutscene, but same plot)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Rising: Reveangence (Yes, it is canon)
>>
Big Boss is forced to kill his mentor in a botched mission into USSR in the 60's, he and his team are all affected by her passing that they wish to make her passing wish to come true, to unite the world. Big Boss and his XO, Zero both have differing interpretations and go their seperate way. Big Boss travels the world fighting in armed conflicts as a mercenary in a unit called MSF. After accepting a contract with Costa Rica, MSF establishes an offshore base and begins to become one of the first major Para Military Corporations in the world.

Bad blood between the Boss and Zero eventually catch up after Big Boss acquires a nuke armed bidpedal tank capable of launching an ICBM anywhere in the world without a silo.

Zero's private army, XOF (a reversla of the FOX unit that big boss was originally part of) attacks MSF's mother base and destroys MSF. Big Boss is put into a coma for 9 years, waking up just in time to rescue his old second in-command who has been captured by Russian soldiers in Afghanistan. Together with his Second-in-command Kazuhira Miller and a man from his past code named Revolver Ocelot, The three begin rebuilding Mother Base with a new company called Diamond Dogs.
>>
File: dat posterier.png (73 KB, 186x148) Image search: [Google]
dat posterier.png
73 KB, 186x148
>>318104365
>Metal Gear Portable OPs (Side Story, no plot significance)
>no plot significance
>>
>>318101598
The game relies on you knowing who Psycho Mantis and Liquid are. So even by just playing Snake Eater and Peace Walker before it he wouldn't know who they are. And some parts rely to heavily on MGS4.
>>
>>318105134
It adds nothing relevant to Big Boss's story, only foreshadows future events already revealed in earlier games and introduces Foxhound.
>>
>>318105317
Not really. You can play the game without knowing who any of the characters are and it will make no difference. Hell if you knew who the characters were you'd probably be majorly disappointed except from Kaz.
>>
>>318105317
And even they aren't too relevant
>>
>>318105379
You are half right. But if would still leave him with too many questions like who the hell Eli even is, or what the fuck Les Enfants Terrible is.
>>
>>318105474
Literally both of them make no difference and at the end of the game it basically tells you what everything is. It gives you a synapse and says that Solid (David) and Liquid (Eli) were created via the Les Enfants Terrible. Also a cassette basically tells you that Eli might be from that project where they used cells from Big Boss to clone him. It's all explained within the game.
>>
So I guess in sum i'm probably just fine if I just straight for mgsv?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.