[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These are the only sword-wielding characters that should be in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 31
These are the only sword-wielding characters that should be in Smash

>Link
>Ike
>Marth
>Meta Knight
>Shulk
>Pit

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>318093476
>The only characters that should be in Smash are ones that pander specifically to my tastes.

>All the characters I don't have personal attachment to are Sakurai being a hack, and here are some patterns and assessments about character slots I pulled out of my ass to prove it.
>>
>>318094684
I like only one of the characters in that list, so you're already wrong, senpai.
>>
the whole concentrated hate autism over sword fighters in Smash is baffling

are people still in denial the ballot won't expand on to other smashes, or is it just people still mad Roy got in before some shitty AT character
>>
>>318093476
I want to know when you say sword user do you that mean literally or do you mean someone who has extended hitbox without a hurtbox? Because Meta Knight's hitboxes are so small he's essentially a brawler. Mario has more range and priority on his limbs than Meta Knight has on his sword.
>>
>>318096078
Just characters who use a sword, anon.
>>
These are the only sword-wielding characters that should be in Smash

>Link
>Meta Knight
>>
>>318096343
So, Kirby should not be in smash? he uses a sword for his up B.
>>
File: 25983560_p0.jpg (126 KB, 929x983) Image search: [Google]
25983560_p0.jpg
126 KB, 929x983
>>
>>318096078
>Actually discussing mechanics in a "fuck swordfighters" thread
These threads are just stealth "I hate anime and don't want it in Smash" threads.

If Robin's moveset was in the game but the character using it was Ashley with her wand or something people would call Sakurai a genius. Shovel Knight would probably get praised if he was added too even though his shovel is functionally identical to a sword.
>>
>>318096736
It's not his primary attack method though, you mong.
>>
>>318096883
>Just characters who use a sword, anon
just going off based on what I was told.
>>
>>318093476
>no cloud
baka desu senpai
>>
File: Black Mage.png (143 KB, 373x459) Image search: [Google]
Black Mage.png
143 KB, 373x459
>>318097094
This guy would have been cool.
>>
>>318097040
I think you might actually be autistic, anon.
>>
>>318093476
>Pit
what
>>
>>318097348
nah, just giving whoever I was talking with a hard time.
>>
The fact that all of the FE characters are swordusers baffles me, when the entire point of the game is having multiple unit and weapon types to deal with different threats.
>>
>>318093476

That's straight up just a "I like these characters" list.

Here's the real list of who SHOULD be in for sword users:
>Link
>Robin (Flavor of the Year FE Character)
>Pit

And that's it.

Everyone else does NOT deserve to be in, at least as a sword user.

>Toon/Young Link
Shouldn't be in, and if one must be then they should get their unique moveset, which is easy enough when you consider Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, and the Oracle games.

>Meta Knight
I love him, probably my favorite character, but he did not deserve a spot in the Smash Bros world. Kirby is a Tier 2 Nintendo Franchise (in-between DK and Metroid), and if the other Tier 2's get only 2 characters, Kirby should only be getting Kirby and Dedede.

>Marth
We don't need multiple characters from a Tier 4/5 Nintendo Series that that has yet to reach 5 Million sales. If we must though, Marth should be the 2nd Representative. He's from the first game, and is currently fairly recognizable (if only due to Smash)

>Ike
See Above

>Roy
Holy shit, See Above

>Lucina
JESUS CHRIST, SEE ABOVE.

>Dark Pit
2 Characters is already pushing it pretty far, he in no way deserves a spot.

>Shulk
Not well known, not popular even in his own game, low sales and middling critical reviews. This was literally just done to advertise Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, he did not deserve to join the game.

In reality, I've little problem with Lucina and Dark Pit as they are right now, since they're essentially just costume swaps. I don't see why they couldn't just be what Alph is, or why Alph doesn't have a slot for himself (with Rock Pikmin instead of Purple), but it's not a big deal.
>>
>>318097284
people wanted Black Mage because of SSF2
>>
File: Wizardfft.jpg (100 KB, 254x359) Image search: [Google]
Wizardfft.jpg
100 KB, 254x359
>>318097792
What does super street fighter 2 have to do with smash bros or black mage?
>>
>>318097725
>In reality, I've little problem with Lucina and Dark Pit as they are right now, since they're essentially just costume swaps. I don't see why they couldn't just be what Alph is, or why Alph doesn't have a slot for himself (with Rock Pikmin instead of Purple), but it's not a big deal.
They were intended to be alts but because the roster wasn't as big as Sakurai was hoping, probably because Icies and the Rhythm Heaen character didn't get in like they were planned too, he turned the into clones at the last minute to pad it

Alph wasn't chosen because he's nowhere near as popular.
>>
>>318098008
He means Super Smash Flash 2, in which Black Mage is one of the more fun new additions.
>>
Pit uses a Bow that splits into 2 short knives.

Pit's Bow =\= a sword
>>
>>318098084
>2 short knives have more range than Marth's sword
why
>>
>>318097725
You're not wrong
I'd keep Shulk though but with a radically different moveset
>>
>>318098034

Would've enjoyed Alph with a little differentiation, but yeah, like you said, they're all pretty much alts, which no one should ever have a problem with.
>>
>>318097725
What about cloud
>>
>>318098008
you know what i meant, nigga
>>
>>318097725
>Young Link
You're right. Especially about a unique moveset, it wouldn't be hard considering the wind waker items.

>Meta Knight
nope. the more good, unique characters from good nintendo games the merrier. "tier x" bullshit is a stupid point and irrelevant.

>Marth
nope.

>Ike
>roy
>lucina
>dark put
True

>shulk
Xenoblade is good, so is Shulk. Good addition.

You forgot Cloud, by the way.
>>
>>318093476
>2 FE reps still
Fuck off.
>>
File: image.jpg (577 KB, 1767x1144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
577 KB, 1767x1144
>Pit

>Sword user

It's a bow, with Sharp edges
>>
>>318093476
Not Kirby?
>>
File: Sword2.png (104 KB, 332x433) Image search: [Google]
Sword2.png
104 KB, 332x433
>>318093476

>Sword Kirby

FTFY
>>
The dumbest shit is when people talk about wanting diverse movesets in Smash Bros., and point to other conventional weapons like spears and axes like those mean a fucking thing. You swing and axe and stab a spear. You do both of those with swords, the only inherent difference would be length/width of the weapon. Marth has plenty of stabbing attacks. Shulk's ground attacks with the monado involve a lot of stabbing, and the range is fairly long, too. Looking at some of the bladed weapons in the game, Marth, Pit, Meta Knight, Robin and Ike all have totally different movesets, both stylistically and also functionally. They are wildly different.
>>
File: toad.jpg (47 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
toad.jpg
47 KB, 480x360
>>318098894
I don't mind clones, basic characters or similar playing characters. I'd rather have good characters that are fun to use over FotM bullshit with gimmick moves like Rosalina.

For example, Toad as a heavy, hardhitting Mario clone would be fun. Toad with some gimmick and unconventional B moves would not be fun.
>>
>>318098278
>>318098317

I did.

As a sword user, yeah, he should be in.
As a guest to Smash Bros, it's really iffy, but ultimately yes.

He's extremely recognizable, his game fucking printed money and actually gave the Playstation and console RPG's a foothold in the west, is the main character, and is undoubtedly a sword user through and through.

Is his character a little shit? Yes. But there's no one else on the roster like him.

Sonic was the Anti-Nintendo, and a fighting game is the perfect setting for him to have a crossover with Mario.

Ryu is literally the face of fighting games.

Pac-Man is much less about Smash Bros, and more about celebrating gaming's history, which seems to be what Smash Bros is going for.

If that's the case, then Cloud certainly should be in, since he was the face of one new company and the western face of another, which have changed the gaming world. He also highlights a very important time in Nintendo's life.

Metaknight's also just a permanent sword wielding blue Kirby, so I wouldn't call that unique

Shulk is a no. Not a terrible addition, but did he deserve to be in? Absolutely not. His inclusion was based on three things - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, Xenoblade X, and the New 3DS. Make the players want more of the character, make them want the new system, and hopefully they'll buy the game we've spent 37 Million on. He's strictly advertisement, just like Marth and Roy were in Melee. Advertisements do not deserve to get in to a game series that's supposed to celebrate well loved and memorable characters from Nintendo (and Friend's)'s past.
>>
>>318099372
Why are you talking to me as if I'm a sales analyst or something? I don't care about any of that, and neither should you.
>>
>>318099168
>I'd rather have good characters that are fun to use over FotM bullshit with gimmick moves like Rosalina.

>FotM
>Has been in games since 2007 and still onwards.
>>
>>318097725
There is no reason for Nintendo to look exclusively at the broad scope of their franchises and ignore things like recent popularity, or the disparity in popularity that will happen based on what region a game has come out in. Why shouldn't Shulk be in when Nintendo is clearly trying to push Xenoblade more now, and the first game had cult popularity, on top of providing a unique moveset? He's no Mario, but get real, neither is Little Mac. Neither were Ice Climbers, and their cut is a crime. It's not uncommon for less popular characters to worm their way in just to show that Smash Bros. is about ALL of Nintendo.

Your point about Meta Knight and the Kirby series vs. DK and Metroid is splitting hairs something fierce. Who gets to decide which franchises are on which tier? I'm not going to say Kirby is above Donkey Kong or Metroid, but that doesn't matter, to say that franchises of a specifically calculated level of popularity deserve a max number of representatives is idiotic. And who says it should be two? Because DK and Metroid have two? That comes across as spiteful. Kirby having three characters is perfect for it, and DK and Metroid deserve more characters, too.

The idea that these franchises should be limited to two (and the likes of Fire Emblem being limited to one, and Xenoblade limited to fucking off) because they're the SECOND rung is even dumber when you look at Mario's EIGHT characters, and Zelda and Pokemon having five. Six for Pokemon with DLC included.
>>
>>318099720
>was in a game in 2007
>hasn't been shoehorned into every game until 2013
>>
>>318097725
>>I love him, probably my favorite character, but he did not deserve a spot in the Smash Bros world.

Stopped reading right here. You're a god tier master faggot.
>>
>>318099841
>>hasn't been shoehorned into every game until 2013

Do you say the same thing to Bowser Jr.?
>>
>>318099645

Ok, fine.

Clould's unique, memorable, and was the face of Anti-Nintendo after Sonic. He deserves to be in.

Shulk's an advertisement. I don't want an advertisement I've never heard of, I want characters that I played as when I played Nintendo games (Certainly not fucking Shulk). The East remembers Starfy quite fondly, the West remembers Andy and Sami really well. Who the fuck remember Shulk?
>>
>>318099168
Rosalina has been a part of the Mario series for years, and represents the Galaxy games, which were pretty important for the series, much like how Bowser Jr. represents Sunshine, and also continues to exist. They also both have actually inventive movesets that add to the game. Toad as a hard hitting Mario clone would not be fun. It would be a waste of time, especially when proposed as an alternative to actual creativity in the roster. You are right though, that Toad with gimmicks and strange special moves wouldn't be fun, because Toad fucking sucks.

Honestly, if Smash Bros. games came out a little later in each generation, or even at the end of each generation, Bowser Jr. ought to have been in Melee, and Rosalina ought to have been in Brawl.
>>
>>318099929
You know what faggot? I admit FotM wasn't a very appropriate term, you've got a good point.

And yeah, Bowser Jr is actually worse than Rosalina. I don't even mind Rosalina as a character, she's just a little too prominent in her appearances is all. And it sucks that they're taking her away from space and the observatory, the same way they took Daisy away from Sarasaland
>>
>>318100016
>Who the fuck remember Shulk?

People who campaigned for Operation Rainfall and enjoyed Xenoblade. Don't act like Shulk, doesn't have his fans. That's selfish towards them, even if they're more of a minority compared to other characters.
>>
>>318100016
>the West remembers Andy and Sami really well

No, they don't.
>>
>>318099787

>The idea that these franchises should be limited to two (and the likes of Fire Emblem being limited to one, and Xenoblade limited to fucking off) because they're the SECOND rung is even dumber when you look at Mario's EIGHT characters, and Zelda and Pokemon having five. Six for Pokemon with DLC included.

Consider really quickly that Mario has more sales than every other Nintendo Series combined (500+ Million), and that Pokemon has more sales than every other Nintendo Series combined, excluding Mario (270+ Million), and I'd say it's fair that they're the most populated franchises in Smash even if it's by a mile. They are the most popular, more people know them, more people get more enjoyment out of playing with these characters they already know.
>>
>>318100141
The Galaxy stage and maybe a new spin attack for Mario would have been enough to represent Galaxy.

And inventive movesets are good, just when they're not a chore to play as, ie Rosalina.

Taking a similar moveset and presenting it in a completely different way is not unfun or a waste of time, it's more worthwhile than half of the shitty newcomers in 4. Do you dislike Lucas and Luigi as well?
>>
>>318100154
>I don't even mind Rosalina as a character, she's just a little too prominent in her appearances is all.

Why? She's only in spinoffs, and was a post-game unlockable character in a Mario platformer already partially about being able to play as multiple Mario characters. Mario spinoffs are frequently littered with Koopas and Boos, why the fuck should they just disregard actual characters they've made for important, popular, well-received main Mario 3D platformers?
>>
ROYS OUR BOY
ROYS OUR BOY!
>>
>>318100494

Luigi has absolutely no moves similar to Mario other than his Fireball, and Lucas only has B-Moves that are similar. Bad choice of clones.

Toon Link, Falco, and Roy are clones. And yeah, I would rather they be completely re-worked or removed.
>>
>>318093476
I want Magolor in smash or Daroach just give a Kirby rep please ;_;
>>
>>318100470
Don't be dense. I'm not saying that Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda should have the number of characters in them reduced. I'm saying that the gap doesn't need to be that large just because of the fucking sales data. I'm sure Kirby and Donkey Kong have sold fractions of what Mario has, even combined, but Kirby has been around for over 20 years, Metroid even longer, and DK originated in the same game as Mario himself. They are important series.
>>
>>318100578
Just because she was good in one game doesn't me she should hijack Mario's playstyle and be playable in every other game. She's being stretched thin
>>
>>318100214

You're right, it was rude of me to ignore Shulk's 43 fans.

Seriously though, Xenoblade sold like shit when it came over here, Xenoblade 3D sold like shit, it got middling critical reviews, operation rainfall wasn't just for Xenoblade, it lumped in Last Story and Pandora's Tower because NONE OF THEM WERE POPULAR ENOUGH TO GET OVER HERE ON THEIR OWN. What are you even trying to defend?
>>
>>318100975
>she should hijack Mario's playstyle
huh?
>>
>>318101106
3D World, she takes a move exclusive to Mario in Galaxy and makes it hers.
>>
>>318101094
Good thing you're the only one who cares about this shit, even including the devs of the fucking game.
Cool your autism, enjoy my good friend Shulk
>>
>>318101094
What's wrong with making the niche fans happy? Don't you have a series you wish got more recognition? Don't you think that's selfish to only include well known stuff?
>>
>>318101190
a move isn't a playstyle anon. If anything, that's just a nice nod to the series that she debuted in, I don't see what wrong with that.
>>
File: 1433223195609.png (171 KB, 346x297) Image search: [Google]
1433223195609.png
171 KB, 346x297
>>318100756
I've looked at this plenty of times. A lot of Luigi's most important moves are different, yeah, the ones you're going to remember, but when you look at tilts and aerials, Mario and Luigi actually have a lot in common, maybe more than Fox and Falco, at this point. You might not realize specifically because Fox and Falco has such similar, and in some cases, identical specials, while that's where they decided to differentiate Mario and Luigi the most.

>>318100494
Luigi has a reason to be similar to Mario, and Lucas isn't actually that similar to Ness in practice (and this goes beyond heavy/light variables). And even beyond that, I would love if they were more different, yes. There is some value in variations on a moveset, I prefer Toon Link to Link, and I understand that there are masochists who like the way Ganondorf plays, so I wouldn't mind seeing that moveset given to someone else if they ever revamp Ganondorf. But new movesets are vastly preferable. Just because you find Rosalina to be a chore to play as doesn't mean she's got a bad moveset. I feel like it's indicative of the opposite, in some ways. Not every moveset in a roster of ~50 characters needs to appeal to everyone. The fact that you seem to have so much trouble grasping or applying what she, and probably some others, can do, means they're hitting more niches and probably giving more people unique movesets that they're really fond of. If Smash 64 was full of gimmick movesets and still only had 12 characters, you'd have a point, but we're way beyond that now. It's time to come up with fresher ideas.
>>
>>318100756
"I don't mind clones or similar playing characters"
>implying Luigi and Lucas aren't very similarly playing characters to who they're based on
>implying factors like speed, size, and weight aren't critical to playstyle
>>
>>318097725
>Not well known

Most Smash characters are more well-known for their Smash appearances than they are for their actual games. The only exceptions are the Mario characters (including spin-ofs like DK, Yoshi, and Wario), Pokemon characters (except Jigglypuff), Zelda characters, and Villager. And the third-parties.
>>
>>318093476
Pit's not a sword wielder, bladed weapons are not swords. That's like saying Hector from FE would be a sword wielder cause he has an axe.
>>
>>318101452
>pauline debuted in donkey kong
>lets have her throwing barrels in the next game, it's a nice nod to the game that she debuted in
>>
>>318100847

While I do agree that Kirby, DK, and Metroid should all have 3 reps at least, I think you're really not understanding the "Sales Data". It's not just "Sales Data", it's "How many people played these games and enjoyed them, and would like to see these characters in new games".

I'm down with Kirby having Metaknight, Metroid haing Ridley lol, and DK having K.Rool or Dixie.

But the games that make Super Smash Bros possible, Mario and Pokemon, definitely deserve extra characters. Without Mario, there would be no Nintendo. Without Pokemon, Nintendo wouldn't have lasted. Without literally every other series (other than Wii Sports, which should have another representative but literally doesn't have another character), Nintendo would have been just fine. So yeah, the gap is perfectly fine this large when these series have made Nintendo what it is and kept it that way.

Would I rather more characters? Absolutely. But I understand when they put more effort into the more popular, more loved, more well known, and more wanted series rather than the less recognized ones.
>>
>>318101493

Ok, not that guy, don't play lucas, but Luigi plays literally nothing like mario. He plays closer to yoshi and ness than mario.
>>
>>318097725
I'd rather have Marth than Robin. If you're going to prioritize newcomers you might as well remove Pikachu for another Kalos Pokémon.
>>
>>318101520

>except jigglypuff

Jigglypuff was the mascot of Pokemon (along with Pikachu) in Japan during R/B/Y. He got in on his own.
>>
>>318101648
that was terrible example anon. I doubt barrel throwing would fit in a mario platformer. if anything she'd would use a hammer. someone like Rosalina can spin and someone like Pauline should be able to use a hammer. I really don't see the issue
>>
Jigglypuff fights with helium and friendship :3
>>
>>318101957
If anything that further proves his point, since Luigi's moveset is originally derived directly from Mario's.
>>
>>318101648
Rosalina wasn't held captive by Mario, and Mario wasn't using his spin attack with the intent to impede the players progress. It would be more like if Pauline was playable and had a hammer for some moves because of the hammer powerup you could get in Donkey Kong. Which would be fine, by the way. Rosalina using the spin attack in 3D World is fine. Even as far as the ~*~*~*~lore~*~*~*~ is concerned, considering Mario got that ability from Lumas, and Rosalina watches over Lumas.

>>318101754
I think you're not really understanding the things I wrote in my own post. You don't need to condescend to me because I said sales data because of popularity, I'm talking shit about that because all you're spouting are the numbers. I'm well aware of how popular Mario and Pokemon are, and how big of a difference between those two and Nintendo's other properties there is. I also said outright that I don't think any of them deserve less series. I ALSO said outright that the gap doesn't need to be 1:1 with the sales just because of how that equates to popularity. It would not kill them to spend some time making Meta Knight and fleshing out Kirby's presence in Smash Bros. to a lofty three characters when Mario and Pokemon already have 5+. There comes a point when you have enough characters to appeal to the millions of people who have enjoyed a Pokemon game, and you can appease fans of your other games. The point of Smash Bros. is that is about Nintendo as a whole.
>>
>Advertisements do not deserve to get in to a game series that's supposed to celebrate well loved and memorable characters from Nintendo (and Friend's)'s past.

Why do people act like advertisements are a new problem in Smash when it's the main reason we saw characters like Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff in the first Smash Bros?
None of them qualified as all-stars but F-Zero had a recent game on N64, Earthbound 64 was still planned to release at the time and Pokemon was at the height of its popularity.

Smash Bros. has always mixed mainstays, newcomers and old classics together. It's a celebration of all of Nintendo's history including what's popular now, not "only things I grew up with."

By the time SSB5 rolls around characters like Shulk and Palutena will only appear anymore because of Smash, like a lot of the more obscure characters in the game, which is great for fans of them since otherwise those IPs could be lost to time.
>>
>>318093476
and these are the reasons of why you should kill yourself
>this thread
>>
>>318099168
>Toad as a heavy, hardhitting Mario clone

That's one of the shittiest ideas I've ever head. Not Toad himself, but making him a clone when there isn't anything that would justify him being a clone, unless you want to make Peach a Mario clone who happens to have her flight gimmick.
>>
>>318102072
>I really don't see the issue
>>318102209
>Which would be fine, by the way.

Eh, disagreed. I think it's pretty weak, unfitting, and uncreative.
>>
>>318102150

never tried smash 64, but I don't see how that matters for this game.

Wasn't the point about what characters you'd rather play as, not what it takes to evolve a character?
>>
>>318102360
>clone means they have the exact same moveset!
you're a fucking idiot, stop posting. clone just means another character was the framework in which they were based
>>
>>318102494
You sound like a fucking idiot for your suggestion, don't turn it around on me.
>>
>>318102597
It's not a bad suggestion, don't be so blindly cynical.
>>
>>318102713
It's not a good suggestion, stop eating shit. You sound like a Project M fan.
>>
>>318102393
you can disagree all you want, but I still don't see what about Rosalina bothered you so much. You got me curious.
>>
File: 1400949590138.jpg (56 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1400949590138.jpg
56 KB, 500x333
>>318102780

>he doesn't like Project M
>>
File: 1321895198562.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1321895198562.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>318102780
Well, unlike Sakurai and his Smash devs, the Project M team at least try to put in characters people actually want while also trying to maintain a steady balance between all of them.
>>
>>318100767
I voted for him. He apparently has somewhat of a following in Japan. Here's hoping Sakurai finds him more interesting than everyone's favorite mook.
>>
File: hidden09_080318g-l.jpg (90 KB, 400x315) Image search: [Google]
hidden09_080318g-l.jpg
90 KB, 400x315
>>318093476
>No ganon
shit list desu senpai
>>
>>318102941
The only characters PM added SSB4 didn't are Lyn, Knuckles, Isaac and Sami.
>>
File: 1445290865507.png (2 MB, 1065x902) Image search: [Google]
1445290865507.png
2 MB, 1065x902
>>318102941
Wasn't Knuckles the second least popular in a poll they did on Smashboards?
>>
>>318102872

I don't get the Rosalina hate either.

>Established Character
>Present in main, storyline games
>Has active role
>Unique role in plot
>More relevance than Daisy and Waluigi, who are just reverse/mirror images of other characters and only present in Party games

How the fuck would this guy have Rosalina play anyways?
>>
>>318102941
>the Project M team at least try to put in characters people actually want

Every character added had fans prior, except Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt (arguably for their case).
>>
>>318102780
Let's take Mario, but make him
>move and fall faster
>launch easier
>hit faster and harder
>dealing more damage, but smash attacks take longer to perform
>have a smaller hitbox
>neutral A moves based on SMRPG punches
>different neutral B and up B
>same down B as Luigi/Doc
>final smash is crushing people with his weapons from Wario's Woods

That really sounds shitty to you, bruv?
>>
>>318102941
>at least try to put in characters
No they haven't. Not one single original character was added. It's just Brawl's and Melee's. Until I see a fully playable Isaac, Knuckles or what have you, they haven't "put in" any characters. Bagan's mods don't count. That's not PM and they're unbalanced as hell.
>>
>>318103153
I don't know, I don't actually follow PM news, but I've seen enough gameplay and screenshots to know they're at least making some kind of attempt at balance.
>>
>>318102053

Jigglypuff only got in because they could use Kirby's model and animations as a base. It was a running gag in the anime at the time, but now, the only thing keeping it relevant are its Smash Bros. appearances.
>>
>>318103153

That was Shadow. Knuckles was 4th.
>>
>>318103265

Yes. It sounds fucking deplorable.
>>
File: Ryu2.png (464 KB, 985x914) Image search: [Google]
Ryu2.png
464 KB, 985x914
>>318093476
>implying this nigga wouldn't be legit
>>
>>318103220
None of that is inherently a good thing for a character, though. It just means they're there.

>How the fuck would this guy have Rosalina play anyways?
Why should she be playable? She was marvelous as an NPC in one game, why put her in roles she doesn't belong in? Why not have someone like Wario or Yoshi, like in SM64DS?
>>
>>318103265
>>same down B as Luigi/Doc

At least give him Peach's turnip if you're going to clone moves.
>>
File: 1444114537183.jpg (65 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1444114537183.jpg
65 KB, 498x500
>>318103421
Or this nigga
>>
>>318103265
It sounds a hell of a lot lamer that a character with entirely unique standard moves and a puppet gimmick.
>>
File: 1409860759616.png (8 KB, 308x296) Image search: [Google]
1409860759616.png
8 KB, 308x296
>>318103416
Yet Rosalina's tedious moveset is fun to you.

>>318103516
That's a better idea, actually.
>>
>>318103559
Nah, that Toad sounds like more fun than an entirely unique character that relies on a couple of gimmicks for forced uniqueness.
>>
>>318103567
>>318103761

Not him and nothing against Toad or the moveset, but Rosalina's moveset is not new. Other characters from other fighting games have had similar playing styles. It is clearly enjoyed by those players.
>>
>>318103474

Why the fuck would Wario be in helping them rescue someone? The canon reason he was in SM64DS was because a Bom-Omb hated his mustache, and he likes wrecking shit in the castle. He don't give no shits about rescuing anyone.

Yoshi should be rideable, not a character.

Who the fuck else would you use?

Daisy? Waluigi?
>>
>>318103567

>Tedious moveset

This has to be the most autistic case of "can't git gud" I've ever come across
>>
File: chill wario.jpg (49 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
chill wario.jpg
49 KB, 500x384
>>318104059
For the coins, anon, and besides that he just loves the action and adventure. Why the fuck would Rosalina? Bowser is defeated, the universe isn't in danger, and nobody's watching her children. It makes even less in-universe sense for her
>>
>>318104153
>can't get good
>with one of the most unbalanced fighters in an easy as shit game
Nah. It's just not fun or challenging to use.
>>
>>318104471
Then don't use her. She's there for her fans, and/or like the moveset.
>>
>>318102941
what you should've said is that PM actually makes characters more closer to their canonical self than being a meme character, shittier version of it's true self, and a clone.

not to mention, being FUN

also i have yet to see PM actually put dudes in like Dixie or at least Banjo
>>
>>318093476
Roy
>>
>>318104875
That same ideology can be applied to the Toad idea.
>>
>>318104965
Well I have nothing against Toad. I'm not the same person you were arguing against earlier.
>>
>>318104893
Dixie could be a fun Diddy clone
>>
>>318093476
>Pit
>sword wielder
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 620x400
Gun wielding badasses in Smash when?
>>
>>318096830
Good taste.
>>
>>318105075
So you just feel the needed to inappropriately defend Rosalina in a way that didn't fit into the conversation
>>
>>318105203
>the
you*
>>
I don't understand the sword complaint.

Except for Marth and Lucina, they all fight completely differently.

You might as complain about all the fist fighters.
>>
>>318098229
>spoiler
This. Shulk should have a moveset more representative of his actual Monado Arts.
>not actually using purge, armor, eater...
>not using shaker edge
>not using buster as it actually is in-game
>>
>>318105203
What are you talking about? Inappropriately defend in what way? What makes her moveset tedious? You better be saying every puppet master character in every fighting game is tedious then.
>>
>>318105352
His neutral special should be Activate Monado, which you can only use after building up the Talent Gauge (similar to Mac's KO punch). The Monado Arts would all be powerful and you'd have several to choose from, just like in Xenoblade. Smash Shulk's current Monado Arts work like auras, and he had none in Xenoblade
>>
>>318105335

As a fire emblem fan, I kind of understand it. I'd like Hector the Axe to fucking be playable.

That said I understand that he's a

>literally who

...so I shut up about it most of the time.
>>
File: mh3o3_white_mage_1024.jpg (742 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mh3o3_white_mage_1024.jpg
742 KB, 1024x768
>>318097792
>>318097284
>>318098008
>White Mage and others got into sports games, but not fighting games
>>
>>318105478
Just in floaty fighting/platformers
>>
>>318099372
>celebrating gaming's history.
Yes, this is what smash was about in its earlier installments, but smash 4 clearly shills new games like there's no tomorrow. Look at all the uprising content that was reused for the game and just shoehorned it because it was convenient. And smash tries to show the newest incarnation of the franchise, like with the stages and the characters' models.
I will agree with you that shulk does seem like a shill character, but i'm not complaining too much because if it weren't for him being in smash 4, i never would have found out about Xenoblade.
Smash is kind of a mix of the two. It's both about celebrating the history of gaming and promoting the newest games that are out.
>>
>>318105728
>Yes, this is what smash was about in its earlier installments

Roy was in Melee before his game even came out in Japan.
>>
>>318100767
Even some more kirby trophies would be awesome.
>tfw no trophy of Lor Starcutter
>>
File: Adeleine 32.png (72 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Adeleine 32.png
72 KB, 400x400
>>318105950
Agreed
>>
>>318101094
There are plenty of people STILL campaigning to get Isaac from Golden Sun in Smash. Xenoblade may have sold "poorly" as you claim, but representation of a niche series is still representation of what Ninty has to offer.
>>
>>318103421
>>318103545
Oh damn, these could be fun to play as.
>>
File: daisy tatanga 2.png (215 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
daisy tatanga 2.png
215 KB, 600x480
>>318101094
If we're only going by sales, why not put Princess Daisy in the game? Super Mario Land is the 4th best-selling Mario game of all time, it did much better than any Galaxy game or Sunshine, and it continues to garner in hundreds of thousands of sales via the virtual console. So shouldn't Daisy get in over Rosalina and Bowser Jr?

No of course she fucking shouldn't that would be ridiculous. Whatever is the most popular or profitable shouldn't matter in this kind of thing, it's a labor of love where the most fun idea gets in.
>>
>>318106378
What if Ryu Hayabusa incorporated ETs and UTs into his gameplay somehow? Like you could hold down neutral A or even his special for a UT or something.

Ehh.

Or better yet, Ryu's specials:

>B: Shuriken/Bow/Windmill Shuriken. Press it to throw three semi-homing shuriken at enemies. Hold it down for a second or two to charge an arrow. Hold it down even longer to get a windmill shuriken, which, when released, will orbit Ryu for a few seconds like in the 2D games.
>Forward-B: Flying Swallow
>Up-B: Teleport. Teleporting into enemies makes him do an Izuna Drop.
>Down-B: Counter
>>
>>318099929

Bowser Jr. was originally worse in that regard than Rosalina.

Now, ironically, he's better, because combined with being used immediately after his debut, he wasn't given a new alternate form or made into an extra playable character in a Mario platformer.
>>
>>318100578

Because the thing that made her good in the first place is outright ignored just so players have a heavy Peach to play as.

The special status she used to have is completely gone now. She's no different than Daisy aside from being barely more important.
>>
>>318100756
>Falco

He's nothing like Fox anymore. Why are you living under a rock?
>>
>>318107319
>stole Bowser/Kammy's role in Sticker Star
Eh
Besides that I don't mind him.
>>
>>318093476
So why are we upset about sword fighters when there are how many fighters who use melee attacks?
>>
>>318097725
>Kirby is a Tier 2 Nintendo Franchise (in-between DK and Metroid
And yet he got an anniversary celebration, which only Mario and Zelda have gotten otherwise.
>>
>>318107857

Kamek was there, too
>>
>>318108653
Yeah, funny enough Kamek was the one doing what Bowser usually does in Paper Mario, with Bowser Jr playing Kammy.
>>
>>318104325
>It makes even less in-universe sense for her
Reminder that the Mario games officially have no continuity. Her having a role in one game is in no way lessened by having a different role in a different game because it is specifically a different continuity.
>>
File: 1423987780759.png (1 MB, 1865x1332) Image search: [Google]
1423987780759.png
1 MB, 1865x1332
>>318108831
>Mario games officially have no continuity.
Why bring that up here? They still have characters with motivation and personalities.
>>
>>318109028
>They still have characters with motivation and personalities.
Yes, and there is no reason to believe those are inherently the same between games. Which is the effect of having no continuity.
>>
File: Goombaria.png (10 KB, 140x170) Image search: [Google]
Goombaria.png
10 KB, 140x170
>>318109208
Then hopefully Peach be the main villain someday, and Mario's sister another day. Maybe have Bowser play the role of Toad. Goombas can replace Yoshi as mounts on-and-off, too. I like Goombas.
>>
>>318097284

>Ripping off that shitty flash game

Nah, I'd say it should have been Warrior of Light or Cecil, but nobody cares about them as much as Cloud so...
>>
>>318109378
I don't know what your point is, because all of those are certainly possible. Whether or not they will be done is not the same as whether or not they would make sense--and in the framework of the series, they WOULD make sense. Because there's no continuity.
>>
>>318109484
Oh sure, play dumb and pretend all of that is possible to stubbornly stick to your incorrect point.
>>
>>318093476
what about mii
>>
>>318096736
Final Cutter uses Cutter's Boomerang
>>
>>318106464
like Waluigi, Daisy is just a side character and a Mario spinoff character without it's own series.
>>
>>318108831

Reminder that Wario games DO OFFICIALLY have continuity, as they are an entirely separate series. He has established characteristics and feats.

He's a greedy asshat who has MUCH better things to do than randomly save a princess and pick up coins lying on the ground.
>>
>>318109958

Holy shit, this. This pisses me off so much.

Anytime people bitch about sword users, retards go, "Kirby's uses a sword for Up-B, wanna get rid of him too?".

No he fucking doesn't.

It's just the fucking cutter power. Which is a fucking boomerang.
>>
File: 48649923_p0.png (97 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
48649923_p0.png
97 KB, 768x768
>>318106095
I really do wish that Adeleine becomes playable. Even if it's a really slim chance.
>>
File: best character coming through.png (328 KB, 557x640) Image search: [Google]
best character coming through.png
328 KB, 557x640
>>318113180

move over bitch

Animal Friends, Gooey, and Ado/Adeline all need to come back in a Kirby RPG
>>
File: Waddle Dee.png (48 KB, 200x265) Image search: [Google]
Waddle Dee.png
48 KB, 200x265
>Magolor gets a figurine
>Best Dee doesn't

FUCK YOU HAL
>>
File: 1445069272127.png (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445069272127.png
47 KB, 640x480
>>318097725
>Tier x meme
The popularity of a franchise doesn't determine character count, you fucking idiots. It never has.
>>
File: 43120189_p0.png (3 MB, 1930x1200) Image search: [Google]
43120189_p0.png
3 MB, 1930x1200
>>318113438
Maybe they'll come back in Kirby's 25th Anniversary.

Also best Kirby-Animal ability is Rick Roll.
>>
File: 1443066589403.png (53 KB, 890x850) Image search: [Google]
1443066589403.png
53 KB, 890x850
>>318103063
Sword of Disrespect will remain a taunt.

>tfw we will never have Ganondorf's moveset given to Black Shadow, and him getting an entirely new moveset, so Ganondorf and F-Zero fans are both happy
>>
File: Waddle_Dee_64.png (11 KB, 82x68) Image search: [Google]
Waddle_Dee_64.png
11 KB, 82x68
>>318113910

This is Best Dee.

Yours is a fucking hack.
>>
>>318113910
There are several better dees, though
Parasol, sailor, and generic
>>
>>318113947

Not that guy, but when talking about Nintendo Franchises (outside of Smash context), you can certainly rank them by tiers.

Tier 1 (+100 Mil)
>Mario
>Pokemon
>Wii

Tier 2 (+50 Mil)
>Legend of Zelda
>Donkey Kong

Tier 3 (25+ Mil)
>Kirby
>Nintendogs

Tier 4 (+10 Mil)
>Metroid
>Star Fox

Tier 5 (5+ Mil)
>Tomodachi

Some people argue that Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's big 3, but it's not anymore, not even close.

Everything afterwards has yet to break 5 million units shipped, let alone sold, with every game in their series combined.

This includes Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Mother, Wario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Starfy, and Custom Robo.
>>
>>318115067
>implying they aren't the same guy
>>
>>318093476
It's an okay list, but too big. Remove Ike, then you're good to go.
>>
>>318118590

Ike is his waifu, he can't remove Ike.

Take Link instead.
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.