[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one enjoy losing and getting better at fighters? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: street-fighter-r-mika-4.jpg (973 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
street-fighter-r-mika-4.jpg
973 KB, 3840x2160
How does one enjoy losing and getting better at fighters?

I want to git gud but I find it really hard to stay motivated through the countless losses. One plays games to have fun and competitive fighters can be really fun and tense but to be good enough is such a journey that is unfortunately not so fun for me now.

I want to know how I can stay motivated or how can I find fun in the losses I get.
>>
I wouldn't say that you're aiming to have fun losing; rather you're actively seeking to learn from your mistakes. Try going into each match with a focused goal, for instance "I'm just going to tech as many throws as I can" or "I'm going to walk the opponent down into the corner and keep them there for as long as possible". This way, you give yourself small, accomplishable goals and begin to develop your fundamental understanding of the game in the process.
>>
You're never gonna enjoy losing. Realizing where you make mistakes cuts down on a lot of the frustration though. Pay attention to whatever's ruining your day and make a mental note on how to avoid it
>>
I only play with my freinds and were all scrubs at roughly the same level
>>
You're on the wrong train of thought.

Instead of thinking about the fact you lost to someone better you need to think why you lost and what you can do to prevent that next time. That's called improvement and it's the only reward the genre has
>>
>>318076591
>Try going into each match with a focused goal

I usually resort to this when I wont learn anything from my opponent for trying to fight them normally. I don't really learn much from this.

Achieving small goals would help me feel better but nobody really goes into a match with a mindset like that. You go in ready to apply your skills and win against the opponent. Or at least that what I try to do.

>>318076619
>Pay attention to whatever's ruining your day and make a mental note on how to avoid it

True. Usually the problems I try to avoid would require some "leveling up" and overcoming it.

>>318077013
How does one stay motivated during the path of improvement and actually enjoy it? I don't mind losing. I lose because I was the worse player and I need to get better so I can be a decent player and knowing whats wrong can be difficult.
>>
Just play arcade mode. Losing is no fun, so why play against other people?
>>
>>318077229
Know any friends that are around the same skill level? I had plenty of friends when I started playing sf4. Eventually got good enough from practice that online wasn't THAT bad.

Also get out of the mindset that losing sucks. Fighting games are simple games, not a lot involved beshides fundamental's, mind games, and learning movesets.
>>
>>318077229
watch others, this is a very dangerous path, but seeing how others use your characte or generally understanding a good match can give you ideas on what to do yourself.

I say this is a dangerous path because being a stream monster is a real disease that affects millions of players, I have a friend who has been trying to learn street fighter for 5 years, but he turns on training mode and looks at an akuma video, then realizes 7 hours has passed and he hasn't touched the controller.

don't be that guy
>>
>>318077229
>How does one stay motivated during the path of improvement and actually enjoy it? I don't mind losing. I lose because I was the worse player and I need to get better so I can be a decent player and knowing whats wrong can be difficult.
Not that guy but make small goals for yourself in matches. Instead of worrying about all the other nuances of the game, focus on what you're currently weak at.

Are you bad at anti-airing? Then focus on stuffing all of your opponents jump ins for the next few games.

Bad at blocking? Block as much of your opponent's offense as you can.

Then acknowledge yourself, give yourself a pat on the back when you accomplish these goals and move onto the next weakness. Before you know it, what used to give you trouble is nothing to worry about. In general, don't focus on wins/losses but focus on what you did wrong and what you did right. The wins will come.
>>
>>318077229
Depends how far you want to go. Do you eventually want to compete in tournaments? Do you just want to give your friends a run for their money?

The best solution is usually to find a local scene. Most people will be understanding if you show them that you want to learn, and its easier to stay motivated when you're playing with friends instead of random people online
>>
>>318076132
Winning in fighters is not the goal outside of tournaments. Getting better is. You need to enjoy trying to improve and the game itself, not winning.
>>
>>318077623
Not op, but when i started watching sf4 streams it was only to noticed reaction times and certain strats. I had already decided on juri and cori as mains (as much as it pains me that juri sucks in high level play)

I find it kinda silly that people pick characters just because of streamers.
>>
>>318078049
> (as much as it pains me that juri sucks in high level play)
Juri is like A tier though.
>>
>>318077950
So jerking combos in training mode is actual fun?
>>
>>318077583
>Know any friends that are around the same skill level?

I don't really have friends. My brothers use to play fighting but all of them went normalfag and sometimes play mobile games they used to have really good taste too.

>Also get out of the mindset that losing sucks.

I'm not that type of player. I rather have 5 great close games and lose than win 500 times. Its just more fun in my opinion.

>>318077623
I watch and play. I started off watching more than I played and being a stream monster but I went in hard during SSF4. I gave it an honest shot but around 4k games later I don't really have much to show for it.

>>318077747
I'll try this method again. I'm trying to learn blazblue and guilty gear now.

>>318077757
I want to go as far playing online will let me.

No local scene here.
>>
>>318078191
Learning combos is part of the fun, but combos don't win you games.
>>
Try to learn from every loss. What motivates me is knowing that i'm learning more every day, and striving to make improvements constantly.
>>
>>318078148
Has she been bumped up lately? I stopped watching tourneys a while back but some players would either suprise pick juri and switch back if losing or lose out with her.
>>
>>318076132
I've played tons of competitive online games, 1000's of hours in many, and it is always the same. Once you hit a plateau and your improvement starts coming very slowly, it gets frustrating. I've sort of quit these games for life as a result (but we'll see I guess). Looking back, the biggest complaint isn't the plateau so much as how I would continue to play LONG after I became unhappy with the game. If you can force yourself to quit playing and either move on to another game or come back later you might be able to continue enjoying the genre.
>>
>>318078508
she got like top 4 at evo
>>
>>318078191
Those are almost mandatory for high level play. Its mainly mind game and punishing mistakes which takes you further.

For me it was incredibly fun finally getting these combos down and using them online though.
>>
>>318078271
OP here but combos are dangerous. I liked combos because if I put in the time I got my reward. It also was very clear to me when I was improving like I would be able to do 3 parts of a combos MAX then putting in the effort I could do 6 and then complete it. Compared to playing a fighter for a month and not getting better at all and not having fun and stressing and begging people on forums to critique play or play. But combos are only a small part of fighting games.

I'm not going to make the mistake I did in SF4 and be a labmonster.
>>
friends tbqh
>>
>>318078670
Wow, I think I missed this years. Gonna have to watch.
>>
>>318078834
It can't be that hard to have fun and improve without friends right?
>>
>>318079050
It's actually nearly impossible. Fighting games are a social genre.
>>
>>318079250
But what about those players who are successful with just online play or the players that can play decently in ranked matches.

I'm not good by any stretch but I don't think its nearly impossible just much harder. There has to be a way.
>>
>>318076132
You're not suppose to enjoy losing you fucking idiot. Enjoying winning is suppose to drive you to git gud. Delete your thread.
>>
>>318079460
>But what about those players who are successful with just online play
Like who?
>>
>>318076132
I am there to have fun and improve. I play because I like to have a competition and still be able to give them a hearty hand shake. It's just a game, no need to get huffy over it.
>>
>>318076132
>tfw not competitive at all
>tfw winning and losing means fuck all
>tfw had fun playing street fighter 4 and if I got annoyed it was with myself for not being able to do something

Got bored of it after 60 hours or so though.
>>
>>318076132
Not everyone online is a master at the game, on newer games you can always find beginners like yourself to beat up. You can also try playing against friends, but good luck finding people who like non-smash fighting games, I've been struggling with that for years.

I'm also shit at fighting games, but I feel like if you want to get better, you have to practice your neutral game first. You should focus on hitting your opponent with safe moves while blocking everything they send. Try to get knockdowns or stuns, and when that happens, jump on them, spam all your mixups and 70% of the time they'll guess wrong and take a million damage.

Try to learn ways to chain all your normal moves into supers or whatever they're called in whatever game you're playing. That's probably going to be how you'll do 99% of your damage at this stage. I don't know about SF, but in weeb fighting games that's what I do.
>>
>>318079621
>>318079563
I though I came off humble. I don't know what to say.

To Enjoy losing sound and is in fact stupid but you spend so much time losing while getting better that if it bothers you it will make the experience not enjoyable.

I think maybe I get discouraged when I don't see results when I put in the work. I know thats when I feel the most bummed out.

>>318079914
I'm playing blazblue right now. Unfortunately there isn't a whole bunch of players my level let alone players online.

I can pull off gatlings with ease. Getting close enough to do one is a different story.
>>
>>318080216
>getting close enough to do one is a different story
From my scrub-level experience all I can tell you is that there's like three main ways to get close to someone. You can hit them on their recovery after blocking all of their hits. Either that or you hit them with a range of safe to somewhat risky moves to try and get them to be stunned, fall down, or be sent flying in a predictable way so that you can follow them and start mixups. Lastly, you can jump towards them while holding block, and then do the first thing I said.

You can also try to use quick air dash towards them to get in quickly. If your enemy is spamming projectiles, I would use super jumps while holding block all the way.

Then again, I'm not an expert at blazblue so maybe some of my advice is terrible, but I'm trying.
>>
>>318081564
No worries I appreciate the advice. Its just kind of funny that I like fighters but I'm so horrible at them and I played them for a long time.

I just want to give it a honest effort now and not give up. Its hard just getting rekt and not knowing what the fuck you are doing and why you are losing even when watching replays.

To be honest I didn't know what I expected making this thread. Its not like /v/ would have the 5 magic steps to git gud and have fun doing it. It sounds like an awful advert. I just wish I can find someone to coach or hold my hand me since reading everything online didn't do much to help me.
>>
>>318082296
>I just want to give it a honest effort now and not give up.

That's all you need, remember people have been playing anywhere from 2 weeks to 20 years.

Speaking of, who wants a lobby, I'm up for anything PC/PS3
>>
>>318080216
The outcome has little to do with my enjoyment. I think what I did right and what I did wrong. Build off of thoughts I have by hitting training mode and testing out combos. I recently put Axl Low's counter to the test to see where it's most effective. My Axl game has improved and I might try him more against people. The most important part is to have fun and to not take failure to heart but to the drawing board so you can do better next time.
>>
File: 1443364412873.png (130 KB, 274x385) Image search: [Google]
1443364412873.png
130 KB, 274x385
>>318077013
>the only reward the genre has
>Implying styling on fools with 300 hit combos isn't the best reward
>>
>>318076132
It's not about enjoyment. Once you accept you will lose when you make a mistake, you will begin to see your mistakes, why you make them and then if you git gud, stop making mistakes.
>>
>>318076132
It depends, for example if you own a PS4 do a bet with Tyrone and fight him in Street Fighter. If you win, you can fuck her first each time he visits.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.