[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of Goldeneye N64? For such a critically acclaimed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
What does /v/ think of Goldeneye N64?
For such a critically acclaimed and well-loved game I've never seen it discussed on here.

Console kiddies first fps?
>>
>>318071981
I didn't like it or care for it as I thought it was horribly slow and split screen for FPS was a bad idea.
>>
It's Rare's best game, which isn't saying much.
>>
File: 1422119799754.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1422119799754.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
I didn't really play it back then, only gave it a try recently and it's pretty shitty, aged horribly. I believe the game is praised because games were rare on N64 so everyone had it, and kids have pretty low standards so everyone remembers it as good and over time it achieved meme status.
>>
>>318071981
I like it more based on the memories I have attached to it. Slappers only with DK Mode on. Good times were had. The aiming is crap when you're not auto locking on.
>>
>>318071981
>Console kiddies first fps?
Usually that's associated with Halo 1.

The only problem with Goldeneye is how badly it's aged.
>>
probably because no one on this board was old enough to play the game when it was released. also, it was fairly dated by the time perfect dark came out, and the world was not enough was arguably just as good, multi-player wise.
>>
Goldeneye is the game that killed my blind Nintendo fanboyism, so in a way I am actually grateful that it exists.

After playing Doom and Descent on LAN, the praise that this lump of shit attained was mind boggling. Once the reception cemented, I sold my N64 and games to a Microplay, and that's the first and last time I ever sold something to a game store for purpose of resale.

The game stands as a good litmus test for how susceptible you are to the power of nostalgia. I can at least forgive a 10 year old for liking the game when it was new.
>>
Almost entirely beaten by Perfect Dark, which is almost entirely replaced by Time Splitters.

The proper thing to say is it was great for its time and availability.
>>
>>318073642
>playing FPS games on LAN before 1997
doubt.jpg

most people i knew who played goldeneye played doom and wolfenstein, but you can't get 4 people around a tv and play a deathmatch.
>>
>>318071981

pretty much. about the same time some of my buds were playing marathon mp over modems which was like fucking space magic
>>
>>318071981
I liked it for single player and messing with Gameshark. Never actually could beat Aztec at all, I never figured out how to make the rocket take off or whatever, so I cheated to get Egyptian which I COULD beat.
;_; i've never played 007 mode
>>
>>318071981
It was cool because it had a 4 player versus mode. It even had modifiers. But I don't remember it more fondly than Duke Nukem 64 for example.
>>
It was cool at the time but has aged like milk.

Doom, for example, is years older but is still playable and better than a lot of shooters made today if you play with mouselook. Goldeneye, however, only has nostalgia going for it.
>>
>>318075219
I kept giving up on Doom because I couldn't use the mouse. They fixed that finally?
Didn't they have mouses in 1996?
>>
>>318075282
They fixed it a long ass time ago and yes, they did.
>>
I loved it, haven't played it in a while though.

Childhood spent playing the multiplayer.
>>
It was fantastic when you were a kid, having Goldeneye sleepovers and shit. But its aged pretty awful. The N64 controller is pretty much the worst thing in history.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.