[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck, NIS America? Is this what localization is all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 21
File: nisamerica.jpg (221 KB, 625x825) Image search: [Google]
nisamerica.jpg
221 KB, 625x825
What the fuck, NIS America? Is this what localization is all about in the United States? Jesus Christ.
>>
>muh shitty games
>>
They lost what little value they had left, if any, after it was revealed Disgaea was coming to PC, NIS as a whole is dead as far as I know.
>>
I don't see anything wrong here. There are many cultural differences between Japan and the west. Many of their jokes or references won't make sense to the average user. Just an example but I'm Mexican and the latin dubs for the Simpons replace many references and jokes too, and honestly I like it way better than the original.
>>
>>318045030
>Is this what localization is all about
Altering jokes and references to suit the natives?
Adding additional flavor text or alternative description so the locals can understand it properly?
Yes. Doesn't matter which nation it's going to.
>>
>>318045030
This interview was from a very long time ago. NISA is still in business. This gives me confidence in my future desire to be a translator/localiser, because even if I was fucking TERRIBLE at my job it wouldn't matter in the slightest.
>>
>Esty Erhard became Esty Dee because, really, naming cute girl after a sexually transmitted disease fits this game perfectly.
>>
>>318045380
>Mexican in charge of good taste
>>
>>318045380
Leave it to the Mexican to fuck up reading comprehension.

>I may change lines entirely because I feel I personally have a better idea

Here you go Jesus.
>>
>>318045473
I mean it could be a joke about how she's a Christmas cake and still single
>>
>>318045030
I don't really see anything necessarily wrong here. The name change were either done as a small joke or from what they judge might fit better in their opinion and nothing that breaks the lore or the game.

Adding extra lines or changing them isn't wrong in itself either, as >>318045380 said, there are pretty big cultural differences and jokes, as pic said, can fall completely flat on a Western audience.

Really, what matters is mainly the reasoning behind changes and whether they ruins lore or characterisation.

So in short, I'm honestly fine with his thinking but if he does something that breaks lore or character, it's perfectly fine to criticize him for it of course.
>>
>>318045648
Yes, many of our dubs change entire sentences too to reference our culture.
>>
>>318045276
? Some old fucking game gets a port on pc and you're buttmad?
>>
>>318045738
>>318045380

Are you guys clinically retarded? If you're consuming a japanese product, it's because you want a JAPANESE product. If you wanted a faux-american one, why not get an american product in the first place?
>>
>>318045648
>"I always talk about such matters with the translator working on the project with me, so it's not just me whipping out a red pen and making up my own storyline"

Leave it to the American to be too lazy to read it all.
>>
>I'm a translator, not an artist, but I'll make creative changes or correct the writer's work if it's problematic
>>
>>318045954
If you want the full Japanese experience you wouldn't be buying the localized version in the first place, nigger. Do you even know what LOCALIZATION stands for?
>>
>>318045795

It won't feel right on the PC.
>>
>>318045030
That's how translating shit works m8o
>>
>>318045954
It's a localization, dum dum. Of course, as I said, they shouldn't make complete alterations of the character and story, but as long as it doesn't change and break characters and story, I don't really see a problem with it.

It's also perfectly fine to be critical if they do make stupid changes and the guy in the pic seems to at least be chill enough to take legit criticism.
>>
>>318046010

I know that it doesn't stand for "adding lines when the localizer FEELS he has a better idea than the creator of the IP".

>>318046087

Not in my country, no. Translations have to convey as much as possible of the original message and not add stuff because people feel like it.
>>
>>318046210

No, you're literally saying japanese products need to be turned into american ones if you're going to sell them in America. It's complete bullshit and it isn't accepted anywhere else in the world except the United States and Canada.
>>
>>318046332
>>318046249
That's what localization does though.
>>
File: 345hf33.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
345hf33.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
I have no problem with that kind of thing. So long as the storyline is intact its okay to take small liberations. Direct, raw translations from Japanese to English tend to be very bland and cultural humor rarely works. Just look at the dub of Super Milk Chan for examples of how "accurate translations" of jokes from Japanese are terrible.

Back in the day, Working Designs took a lot of liberations with their dialog translations and everyone loved it because they were genuinely funny.
>>
>>318046398

It's not. Ask any professional that isn't corrupted by the bad practices of companies like NIS America and you will know.

It shocks me that people here in this website are defending shit like this. My guess is that they're part of the Nintendo crowd, notorious for being passive when it comes to shit like this.
>>
>>318046332
I aint even American m8, I just know the difference between Localization and Translation, which you seemingly fail to grasp.

And it's done pretty much everywhere. Again, if you see lines added and change that makes it worse, speak up, but it's silly to get mad at the mere notion of it happening in localization.
>>
>>318046249
>Not in my country, no. Translations have to convey as much as possible of the original message and not add stuff because people feel like it.
There are actual standards for translating stuff. There are also bajillion studies and thesis about whether localization or word to word translations are better, where they should be used and where one draws the line
Look it up it's pretty interesting shit actually
Granted taking the target demographic to account is a huge thing so if you don't like what NIS is doing, better make your voice heard
> "adding lines when the localizer FEELS he has a better idea than the creator of the IP".
This can simply mean something that's too vague in a straight up translation due to language/culture differences so he has to add something to convey the information or message better. Again it's decision between straight up translation that translated is weird or unclear or adding something to communicate the point better, but not retaining 'authenticity'
>>
>>318046517

>the "localization is different from translation in games meme"

Yeah, they're different words, but can you show me one time that someone was hired to translate a game instead of localize it? Or that a company wasn't sure if they should localize a title or merely translate it?

Dear God, you people are something else.
>>
File: Capture111.png (38 KB, 1339x237) Image search: [Google]
Capture111.png
38 KB, 1339x237
>>318046510
It's always been like this since the fucking NES era you fucking newfag, that's what localization stands for. Again you retard if you want the original experience you do not buy localized products and instead import, this has always been the case.
>>
File: 0dfcef48b.png (208 KB, 570x435) Image search: [Google]
0dfcef48b.png
208 KB, 570x435
>>318045030
>macaroon
>because naming a girl after a cookie is too perfect
She's already named after a cookie, you imperialistic pig
>>
File: 1448042113073.png (27 KB, 872x157) Image search: [Google]
1448042113073.png
27 KB, 872x157
>>318045030
Just buy Japanese consoles, NA localization is really awful.
>>
>>318045981
Two people who aren't the writers for the game changing something because they think it's better is a solution to that problem. You're right.

Also leave it up to the guy from Bolivia to assume everyone is American.
>>
>>318046731

And the NES era was notorious for having the worst translations in the history of any media. Good example!
>>
>>318045380
>There are many cultural differences between Japan and the west.

And? People aren't going to melt if they're exposed to those differences.
>>
>>318046782
I once tried one of those and they're kind of disgusting, too much sugar, they literally just taste like you just gulped a bowl of sugar.
>>
>>318046985

FUCKING THIS!

Are people in America so xenophobic that they can't be exposed to different content? Then again, I'm talking about the country that would rather REMAKE a movie to include american actors before watching a film with subtitles...
>>
>>318046985
Some of their jokes and references might not make sense for the majority of us.
>>
>>318046797

When things are changed "just because we can :^)" that's the most annoying. It's not even for cultural or lack of translation reasons, it's literally rewriting the game because you think you're better than the original writers.
>>
>>318046702
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_localisation
"Language localization differs from translation activity because it involves a comprehensive study of the target culture in order to correctly adapt the product to local needs."

https://www.gala-global.org/language-industry/intro-language-industry/what-localization

And I could keep linking shit.

Just because you're a fucking retard that has no idea what a word means doesn't mean that everyone else are clueless.

Now, you asshats are overreacting over shit you have no knowledge of and are making assumptions on the "Add/change lines because I have a better idea".

It's not done just on a whim and it really depends on the company and rules within it. What he is most likely referring to is changing the line to say the same message but possibly fit better in the context of the translation. Even if you translate shit directly, it can hold a different meaning due to accents and differences in culture.

Bartolomeo from One Piece for example is nick named "The cannibal" because in Japan, it's slang for someone that mocks people, a pun. Naturally it's fine to do direct translations, but we're talking about commercial products here trying to sell.

I aint even saying you can't be critical about changes, but you retards are overreacting when you think that any change is bad, regardless if it even changes the actual meaning or not.
>>
>>318045030
You realize this was pretty much what the guy that directed the translation of the first MGS did right? 12 part video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sx7yttJm0I
>>
>>318045030

For some people.

Never forget that's Nick Doerr. Not every editor produces cancerous script, but any script "NickyD" worked on is cancer.

He's quite open about just rewriting whatever the fuck he wants, moderation and accuracy be damned.
>>
>>318047169
So what? Do you understand every joke or reference you encounter in Western media? Look it up if it bothers you.
>>
>>31804730
>Blaustein
I think he worked on SH as well
>>
>>318045030

That name change doesn't seem too bad, but i take issue with the second statement.

Their worst name change is still changing Esti Erhard to Esty Dee for no other reason than a terrible joke
>>
>>318047353
What a stupid argument. Go complain about it on Twitter or something. Everyone here has already told you how localization works but you still can't comprehend with that little brain of yours.
>>
File: atlus translations.png (624 KB, 500x727) Image search: [Google]
atlus translations.png
624 KB, 500x727
Look at this hilarious and contextually intact joke from the glorious region of Nippon! Thank god those localizers didn't get their grubby hands on this piece of work!
>>
>>318045954
If its japanese you should play it in japanese you baka gaijin

A translation/localization is NEVER going to be 100% true because of it being a different language

>not knowning japanese
>>
>>318045030
>localization
Yes. That is exactly how it works. Ask Jeremy Blaustein about that shit.
>>
>>318045030
Of all the fucking things, you bitch about names being transliterated.

You know what you should bitch about? Translators ruining games because they want to "localize" them, aka remove anything remotely Japanese.

The one I hate the most is when a character is screaming another character's name and they translate it as "NO, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!". Nigger I can hear that it's wrong thanks to dual audio.
>>
>>318047129
>Wanting honorifics being referenced constantly in text boxes
>Wanting terms untranslated

>>318047353
That's just fucking dumb attitude.

Why even bother translating anything? Look it all up if it bothers you that you're playing Japanese games in Japanese in your English version desu senpai :^)
>>
>>318045030
Learn japanese already, nerd
>>
>>318047267

Hello, NIS America. I didn't know you had people here in this message board, of all places. Is Disgaea 5 going to be released on the Vita soon?
>>
File: 1447798324283.jpg (41 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1447798324283.jpg
41 KB, 612x380
>OH NO, SOMEONE ISN'T PANDERING TO ME

>CENSORSHIP!!!!!!!!

>>318045380
Don't try to reason with brain damaged weeb NEETs.
>>
>>318047747

Read the rest of the text in the image, idiot.
>>
File: amagami-edited-2526.webm (609 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
amagami-edited-2526.webm
609 KB, 750x422
>>318045030
But that's how a good localizer works.

When bit-time translators work on big-time literary works by Noble prize-winning authors or XIX century classics, they still have to do that. Read Nikolai Gogol in the original, then compare his English translations, etc. Only complete amateurs think that literal translations are ever made, or are worth anything.

If you're so into authenticity, learn the language. Professional translation is always adaptation. Translations aren't literal, they're derivative texts designed by translators based on extensive and complicated professional guidelines, experience and personal taste. That's why there are famous and extremely well-paid translators out there who are sometimes better known than the authors in the industry.
>>
>>318047963

>it's only censorship when it's about something I want

Nice try, Nintenerd. I won't be buying Xenoblade Chronicles X, so fuck off.
>>
>>318046459
Liberties, anon. The word is liberties.
>>
>>318045030
Why do you give a shit you buttblasted faggot?
>>
File: 1446382902624.jpg (149 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1446382902624.jpg
149 KB, 612x612
Weeb autistics : Poorfag NEETs who probably pirate everything anyway and have no money

Not a relevant or viable demographic

Non-Weeb non-Autistics : NonPoorfag NonNEETs who buy thing.

A relevant and viable demographic.
Why don't you make some money if you want things, /v/?

This is a company the only thing that makes sense, business wise.

Oh wait, you want them to eat a loss just to make a cringe product that holds up to your autistic "ideal".
>>
>>318046025
This is what autistic weeks believe
>>
>>318048151
He believes he's being force-fed an inferior product while the superior version is withheld from him. He's wrong, but from his standpoint the emotion is adequate.
>>
>>318046797
Marie isn't a bitch in the NoE? What about NoJ?
>>
>>318045030
so the bigger question is, does anyone laugh at the jokes in disgaea anyway? won't most people skip through her shitty additions anyway?

also lol you change the script but with dual audio, people will be able to tell when the character is not saying what's on the screen. this is really noticeable in dual audio jrpgs these days, hell in JP audio, characters in Ni no Kuni have different fucking names from the text onscreen
>>
>>318048209

NISA's target audience is the autistic weebs, so they should try to go for as literal a translation as possible, partially for their audience, and partially because their localization work is garbage.
>>
>>318048262
But he's a tiny niche demographic that isn't a viable market.
>>
>wants 'superior japanese culture'
>doesn't want to learn japanese
>>
>>318048334
?

oh look someone conflating 4chan levels of autism and weeb with normal-tier weeb

be reminded that for every deranged shut in here, there are 10 normalfag animefans who go to cons and shit and want the version that is described in the OP, but whatever shitty "HONORIFICS AND JOKES THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE" version

Why do you think Commie was so popular?
>>
NISA vs Working Designs

Which would you choose and why?

rip Working Designs....
>>
>>318048418
Dumb, Lazy, Unwarranted Self Importance, NEETs.

>>318048460
not whatever*
>>
>>318048346

Because these games are selling so well with their current "great localization" process, right?
>>
>>318048569
>our sales aren't ideal
>let's make them even worse
?
>>
>>318048418

Here we go with this shit again.

How many languages have you learned past age 20? Who am I kidding, this is /v/, you aren't even 20. Your brain becomes shittier at learning languages past childhood.
>>
>>318048648

Surely you have numbers to back that claim? Because the current way is not working for them.
>>
>>318048680
NEETs can learn japanese in under 1 year with amphetamine
3 years without
>>
>>318048319
>characters in Ni no Kuni have different fucking names from the text onscreen
And?

Frankly I hate when there are dubs and characters have blatant Japanese names that sound awful when they get constantly talked in English.
>>
>>318048762
>Business decides to do something

>you think you know better than their business
>you claim the business needs numbers to prove you wrong
?

is this how the brains of your kind work?

the business is doing what has the most ROI - which is not your autism-translations.

it has already done the research to prove your choice is a net loss.
that's why they are not doing it
>>
>>318048536
I would choose neither.

>Ireland
>>
every single NEET community supported thing always goes under because they have no way to fund it

4chan had to bring in the normies because moot couldn't pay the bills

also see

>moe archive
>pomf
>all the dead imageboard clones

there is a reason nobody makes things for you
>>
>>318048893

You should have proof for what you're saying. Market researches are often wrong, specially when they're done with a bias.
>>
>>318048816
Esther's name in Japanese was "Maru", not complex

Swaine's name was "Jairo", like "Gyro". again nothing complicated
>>
>>318049064
>the company businessmen are wrong!

>me, the random probably NEET who is too lazy/stupid to learn Japanese is right about their business!

>do the thing i want! instead of what you're currently doing
ok kid
>>
>>318045380
Another Mexican here.
You're pendejo and should be shot in los huevos, imbecil pedazo de animal.
>>
>>318046459
>Working Designs took a lot of liberations with their dialog translations and everyone loved it because they were genuinely funny.

I always thought they were unfunny, and that was when I was like 16 anon.
And if everyone "loved" them, it's because no one knew better.

Fuck WD, Fuck Ireland and fuck you.
>>
>>318049254

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying they could possibly be wrong.

You, on the other hand, are saying they are right and that there is no way that they could be wrong, because they're a business.

Seems a bit childish to assume things.
>>
Remember when localizations would white wash characters by giving them blonde hair or paler skin?

I can only hope this disregard for nouns and the original text will eventually be looked down upon in a similar disdain.
>>
File: nisaed.jpg (146 KB, 1271x706) Image search: [Google]
nisaed.jpg
146 KB, 1271x706
If you have to change names, change it to something that makes sense
>>
>>318049134
Not complex, but awful. Gyro is fine but Maru isn't that fitting. Especially with blatant English accents.

Drippy is Shizuku and that one just blatant stands out.
>>
>He's seriously surprised at NISA being a shit

Anon pls

I will actually defend changing some things in localization, mainly because for many games the "real" translation just doesn't read that well in English, and some of the better localizations out there do take some liberties here and there. But NISA goes full-fucking-retard with it and changes things in ways that are blatantly out of place, on top of their usual bullshit of adding bugs that didn't exist in the Japanese version and censoring the /e/ in games where /e/ is the only reason to fucking play them. Fuck NISA.
>>
File: 1447022941846.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1447022941846.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>318049430
It's safe to assume that a Business knows how to run its Business better than random faggots on /v/.

Is this fucking controversial to you?
Is this fucking controversial to anyone?
>>
>2015
>still crying about localisations
You don't have any excuses. It's been obvious for years that translations are garbage, but you keep playing them.
>>
>>318048680
I actually started learning japanese at age 20, retard.

And do you think people who speak like 10 languages learned them all before 20? Do you think it's impossible to learn after you turn 20? Like there's an on/off switch in your head that just makes it impossible on your 20th birthday?
>>
>>318049619

A company that is struggling for money? They don't seem to be running their business that well, friend.
>>
>>318048307
NoE is a direct translation of NoJ. Only NoA took liberty with localization.
>>
Didn't we already have this thread recently?
>>
>>318049893
>let's lose money faster

i bet you're one of those dipshits who think it matters if nintendo operates at a loss for any duration under 100 years
>>
>>318046797
>museums are boring and for fucking nerds XD
Thanks, TreeHouse!
>>
>>318049841
People will always come up with excuses for why they won't do something. The old "it's impossible to learn a second language after the age of 10/20/25/30" is pretty common.
>>
>>318049940
>NoE is a direct translation of NoJ.
Yeah, nah. Or since when did NoE keep honorifics and shit like that in the texts and dubs?
>>
>>318050006

Yeah, even the anon who doesn't know the role of editors in translation and localization and thinks the same guy does all that work in every business was here getting BTFO then too.

Whaddya want though, it's /v/. If we don't have the same thread every day, something's probably blowing up.
>>
>>318045954
Why don't you play it in Japanese then, dumbfuck?
>>
File: 346.png (165 KB, 563x422) Image search: [Google]
346.png
165 KB, 563x422
>This thread
What happened to /v/?
>>
>Neo-/v/ will defend this
It's sad, really.
the devil has many guises, anon.
>This scene makes me uncomfortable
>Better change it so it's in line with my views =)

>Defending the macaroon change because lol cute
And that's how you know that you can't trust that shit at all. If "Well it's cute if I rename it this! Screw that the writers wanted to name this character!" is all you need to get your other person working with you to okay your shitty change. I don't think it'll take much to change anything really.
All these fags are in the same bucket and need to go.
>>
>>318050210
Are you stupid or just pretending?
>>
>>318045380
I agree. Localization teams should have free reign over the stuff they translate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
>>
>>318050309
/v/ is in some weird mega shit posting slump since GG happened. Honestly I have no fucking clue.
>>
>>318045030

This "censoring" shit is getting out of hand. Not from the sjw or the media but from /v/ of all places.

Yes, I fucking hate that they remove clothing to not offend anyone's feelings.

But altering something to adapt it to the place where it's going to sell and bitch about is just simply retarded.

Stop bitching about every single fucking decision these developers make.
>>
>>318050403
Honestly I still don't know what the fuck GamerGate is.

Not that I care though.
>>
>>318050524
>JUST BEND OVER AND TAKE IT!!!

Nice try, Goldstein!
>>
>People bitching because they changed Viorate to Violet

Viorate sounds like a fucking medicine. Why are you fags bitching about this?
>>
>>318050524
>It's okay when it's shit I don't care about!
Thanks for your shit opinion.
>>
>>318050350
Japanese names for fantasy characters are basically just "throw letters at a dartboard" tier.

This is how you get names like teefa and aerith. Taking all of 2 seconds to correct the names to something sane sounding isn't some massive affront to the original creator, it's saying, "look, this name doesn't work for this region". Or did you want to play as Butts in FFV?
>>
>>318050351
No? Direct translation implies that NOTHING is changed and everything, including honorifics, Japanese jokes and rest nonsensical gibberish (for the target audience of localisation) is kept.
>>
>>318050403
I don't get it, what does gamergate have to do with being a dick towards someone?
>>
File: you dumbass.jpg (24 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
you dumbass.jpg
24 KB, 298x300
>>318050572
Spoken like a true kuck.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
>>
>>318050719
>I don't know what the word translation means
Glad we cleared that one up.
>>
>>318050604

> muh weeaboo jokes!

>>318050695

> Caring about text

There are bigger problems than this and yet you choose to bitch about a character's name changed to a cookie.

Stop being so autistic.
>>
>>318050309

You mean the OP criticizing localization or the posts defending it?
>>
>>318050843
The latter.
>>
File: 1447956320332.gif (480 KB, 250x309) Image search: [Google]
1447956320332.gif
480 KB, 250x309
>>318045030
Don't know who this person is, but he/she has NO FUCKING authority over the meaning of the text.

Changing romaji into fucking English is part of the job. The Japanese language can't write certain words properly. So translating Voirate into Violet is just common sense. You can't write Violet in Japanese, it just isn't possible.

But changing a name just for the sake of a stupid joke? Are you fucking kidding me? If I wrote a story and some dumb fuck translated one of the names for the sake of a joke, I would be fucking furious. You don't change art. Never.

Same obviously goes for lines and meaning. I have JLPT N2 so I know from experience that it's often not possible to do a direct 100% translation. But you always choose to pick something that comes close as it can get without sounding like shitty, broken English.

This is people not respecting the work of an artist. If you feel that something in Japanese is not good, well tough shit. It was the intention of the author and your fucking job is it to translate it as faithfully as you can. You are a translator, not a writer.

God, the fucking people.
>>
>>318050102

It usually is harder when you're older, but not for direct causal reasons.

When you're younger, you're just plain more likely to be in a multi-lingual enviroment and picking shit up. The older you are, the more likely you are to be settled into what makes you feel comfortable and disinterested in expanding that world.

There's exceptions for folk whose work and/or leisure puts them in that enviroment, but the less need-driven language learning is, the harder it's probably going to be.

Captcha boss is going insane. I can't tell the difference between the turkeys and the eggplants anymore.
>>
>>318050768
Nothing. The translator is one of those "gamergaters hate and rape women" faggots. The real kicker is that he's smug as fuck and even goes on to shit talk "nerds."

The original line was something along the lines of
>Don't talk to an upperclassmen so casually
Or something.

Of course, Funimation pulled the ol' "our views and our employees aren't the same" shit when called out on it.

Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>318050695
>>318050604

Can you faggots provide a CRITICAL change in the text that affected the game?

That's what I thought, you're just bitching for the sake of it.

Isn't that what the sjw do?
>>
File: 1344463072782.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1344463072782.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>318050440
A combination of that, mounting bitterness about the direction of the industry (and how the mainstream is mostly passing the angry ones by), and anonymous culture meaning you never have to own up to what you say/said.
>>
>>318050874

It's Nick Doerr, aka NickyD.

He's a rewriter, not a localizer.
>>
>>318050719

A translation implies adaptation, but not change for the sake of change, to make people "feel safe", "feel at home" when reading foreign things.

The raw translation that keeps honorifics and things out of context is just that, a raw translation.
>>
>>318050938
The ability of the brain to make and reinforce connections between neurons does deteriorate with age, though. You can still learn anything, it'll just take you a little longer.

And switch to legacy captcha already, it's objectively about 20 times better.
>>
>>318050809
You're supposed to reply to yourself, anon.
Or do you honestly think they just "translate" Japanese jokes and keep it as is?
>>
>>318051069
See: >>318050874
>>
>>318050831
Bravely default changed the ages substantially. Really killing the context of a lot of scenes.
>Because date rape doesnt happen to 15 year olds.
BUT ITS JUST TEXT LOL
Again, it's wrong no matter what it happens to. You have a shit opinion.
>>
>>318050874
In a lot of cases in the industry, suggestions are made by the host company themselves. So they're actually respecting the artist AND the company involved. You honestly think that there's not a back-and-forth? The actual transliteration/localization has to be signed off on before its release, anon.
>>
>>318051087
>change for the sake of change, to make people "feel safe", "feel at home"

That very clearly isn't change for the sake of change. There's a reason for it. You may well not agree with it, but don't act like there's not a reason for it.

I think there is value in a script that's been altered to be more comfortable for the native speakers of the new language. Like- look. It's something that's foreign, and it has value in that, but if you act like the only value an English speaker can take from a Japanese thing centers entirely around it being a JAPANESE THING and changing anything JAPANESE ABOUT IT is an affront, that's absurd. The original intended audience doesn't get meaning from it because it's foreign, right? To them it isn't foreign. So, if a translation intends to provide an appropriate parallel meaning to the new audience, shouldn't it strive to make it something NOT foreign?
>>
>>318051309
Citation needed?
Really for these threads, all the time, you just get two sides complaining about the process and then it just dies.
>>
>>318051309

The mindfuck is when the original creator himself dictates how names are spelled in english, but they're pretty crap, like what happened to fairy tail.

I mean, you gotta respect it, but I can't keep a straight face with names like Laxas reminding me of Lactation.
>>
>>318051439
That might be the worst part, plenty of people on both sides of the issue could stand to be corrected, but nobody's listening to anybody else. Nobody is going come to the revelation that they were wrong and change their opinion, not here. It's such a meaningless charade.
>>
>>318045030
Localization is fine. While I have never minded the cultural differences from Japan, localizing a joke or adding ones own flavor into the translation never actually bothered me.

I see what they're trying to do, and that's okay. I mean shit, I would never want to play Kid Icarus Uprising with the original script and jokes straight out of Japan.

In the end, video game stories have always been translated correctly, and that's the only shit that really matters.

The only dumb thing is Esty Dee, and even then, who gives a shit.
>>
Bottom line for me:

Good
>Altering lines to make the prose/dialogue flow better in the target language
>Changing cultural references that don't make sense in the target language to some rough equivalent
>Adding flavour text where there was none before (Trails in the Sky chests)

Bad
>Removing actual content or features from the game
>Changing lines "just because" when it's not needed to make the writing work better in the target language, but the localizers just thought it would be funny or something
>Inserting lines that are out of place in the setting or tone of the original work

A lot of what NISA does is the latter, so fuck 'em. Localization is important and I will maintain that people who hate all forms of localization/want extremely straight translations are retarded, because those tend to result in fairly clumsy "this was obviously translated from Japanese" writing, but that doesn't mean localizers should just be able to do whatever the fuck they want.

At the end of the day it's about having some level of respect for the original work and understanding that, as a localizer, it's not "yours." It's someone else's artistic work, and your job is just to make sure that it's effectively communicated to the target audience. NISA doesn't have any fucking "respect" for the original work; if they did shit like Esty Dee would never have happened.
>>
>>318051309
The company isn't the author of a work.

Localisation is signed off on, but nobody in Japan really knows English, and nobody at the fucking publishing company that's licensing out the worldwide rights is going to play through the game to determine that the writing is on point.

Case in point, all of the games where an American company was brought on board to do voice acting work to make the game seem more "cinematic".

Games like Resident Evil. House of the Dead. You seriously think the developers were going for poor quality B-movie acting? No, they were referred to a company that handled translation of the script into English, and then had it read out by hobos.

Sure, these days, some companies have gotten lucky. From Software has an actual theatre troupe doing the voice work for the Souls series. But by and large, localisation teams exist to take advantage. Nips can't check the work, they can just guess that it sounds about right, because they're all completely incompetent at English.
>>
>>318047754
Leaving in honorifics is leaving untranslated content, and only acceptable in hardcore weeb communities.
>>
This is what localization is all about, yes.
>>
>>318050309
Seriously what the fuck is going on? I want to believe this thread is just full of dumb normalfags who don't even play NIS games in the first place.

How can anyone fucking defend NISA? This is disgusting. Whats next? People defending Asksys localization team too?
>>
source fidelity?

no thanks, memes bro lmao!
>>
>>318051904
The reason why they won't get proper translation is because there isn't proper translation available.

They should never be acceptable when it comes to games, movies, shows etc.
>>
Sorry, am I supposed to see something wrong here?
Really, if this upsets you then you should learn Japanese and import your games.
>>
>Viorate
>Veeo-rot

Does this nigger not know Japanese?
>>
>>318052506
Localization doesn't mean you can rewrote everything because you think you can can come up with something better.

>este de
>STD XD
>get it? Isn't it funny

Fuck off NISA.
>>
>>318048307
You missed the joke, didn't you
>>
>>318050049
That's the same thing she's saying in the NoE version. Note how she lists places that have nothing to do with the museum exhibits.
>>
>>318051309
Even at major Japanese companies there aren't many people who can truly speak or understand English. For someone to check the translation they need to both perfectly understand English and Japanese. I don't know any Japanese writer who understands English perfectly or even good and especially not at one of the smaller companies.

They just look at it and go "oh, okay."

I can't really prove this since no translator or western company would be dumb enough to actually confirm this. But I worked for Hitachi and literally nobody in the marketing department even spoke a single word of English. Fuck, they hired a girl with a major in Russian politics for their IT department, because the speaks fluent English. Doesn't know shit about IT but not even the higher executives can barely say a correct sentence.

A lot of my friends still work in Japan after college and the only ones I don't here this stuff from are people working for foreign companies like Bosch.

Only if you have a native English speaker working at the studio like PlatinumGames (JP Kellams for example), does this approach make sense
>>
>>318051836
This. But localization is a fine line that almost every company seems to breach from time to time. Even XSeed botched some lines in Trails SC recently, making a character sound edgy.

>>318052642
He doesn't seem to understand English either. How can you not see that and think violate?
>>
File: 1348336979157.jpg (113 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1348336979157.jpg
113 KB, 500x500
>Makaron became Macaroon because, really naming a cute girl after a cookie fits this game perfectly
But a makaron/macaron is a cookie. Aren't macaroons little coconut cakes?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0

Educate yourselves numbfucks.
>>
>>318052642

I don't know if he does or doesn't, but his job doesn't actually require it. He gets a raw translation from the translator. His job as an editor is to clean it up and localize it.

Not that I'd say Doerr even does that job acceptably well, since he's a fucking hack, but anyone in his position just works with what the guy who's supposed to know Japanese hands them.
>>
>>318052051
Yeah, but there's a limit to 'adapting to target audience' and 'adding shit up because its my style' or 'there's a space here where I can insert my own shit'.
>>
>>318052907
Japan is hopelessly out of date when it comes to English knowledge.

Classroom education is a joke. Most schools have a native English speaker on hand, but not to teach. They're glorified babysitters, so they can write "we have an English native" in their ads.

Instead, English is taught from a textbook that's incredibly oversimplified, by a Japanese person who may or may not be able to recite a single simple sentence.

People really don't understand how bad their English is, which is funny when they have thousands of English loan words.
>>
>>318052907
>The English speaking person is a SJW
Everytime.
>>
>>318051018
Their excuse has changed to 'It fits the localisation more'.
Everyone who watches this knows it takes place in Japan and has a rudimentary understanding on Japanese etiquette.
The change is absolutely not needed and will look extremely dated in a year or two.
>>
Holy fuck is there a single youtube video showing off comic con girls that doesnt just interview them as if anyone gives a flying fuck what one of these stupid bitches have to say, my god
>>
>>318052807
>Localization doesn't mean you can rewrote everything
I'm aware.
So what's wrong?
>>
>>318053474
But how will you know if those sluts are actually "one of us" and not just doing it for the "le nerd cred XD"
>>
>>318053132
Did you expect a NISA translator to use google or something?

He feels he knows better, so that's what he'll go with.
>>
>>318053324
I sincerely hope nobody buys that crap on release. I can't imagine any "normal" person giving a fuck about Prison School so to antagonize "those fucking nerds" like this is just shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
So far the people defending this have the arguments of that's what localization is or who cares. The problem is that hes not making these changes to make it better for a western audience but because he thinks its funny or sounds better to him personally and only him. This translation is for ever English speaker who plays the game you don't just make changes that you know people wouldn't want because you think it sounds funnier. You have to take into account the whole western player base. Hes not therefore his translation is bad. Also to people saying that "this is just how localization is" just because it's that way now doesn't mean it should be.
>>
>>318053925
>just because it's that way now doesn't mean it should be.
Well, too bad.

Consumers don't care. Whatever company snatches up the rights to the game they want to play, they'll support.

People who complain about garbage translations are a tiny minority in a niche group. If you don't like it, learn Japanese, and laugh at the plebs as you play games a year early.
>>
>>318045030
See, this is why I hate companies. I don't want localizations, I want translations. I would rather have a machine translation than something ''localized'' to ''North-American tastes''. I will not buy their fanfiction shit-tier localization injected with the latest dank internet memes; they will never see a single cent of mine. I wish they would get that through their thick fucking skulls.

Also stop hiring English VAs, or at least give me the option to switch over to the original language. 9/10 times, English VAs are absolute dogshit. I don't see why anyone would hire them, not having english audio saves time and money.
>>
>>318050702
You're goddamn right I want to play as Butts.
>>
>>318054170
And? I don't understand why people act like that's an okay or good thing. Just because other consumers love to eat whatever is churned out regardless of quality doesn't mean I have to. On the contrary it just means I have to try harder to get a better product both for me and the people who are to blind or dumb to know any better. I'm sure that sound kind of pretentious but I think you need a little arrogance to think your capable of making any change at all.
>>
>>318054492
>I think you need a little arrogance to think your capable of making any change at all.
A little bit of arrogance and a lot of delusion.
You seem to possess both qualities already.
>>
>>318053132
>>318053680
That guy is so retarded. Both are biscuits/cookies, but a macaron is way cuter, and thus suitable for a girl's name.
>>
>>318053275
This

I was at Japanese university for a year and thought that it also be good to visit some language classes for meeting people. So I and a friend sat down in all three different German classes and were just shocked at how this was.

30 people just sitting there, not saying anything, listening silently to the teacher who just reads a few pages from the textbook. And I don't mean explaining the stuff from the textbook. No, literally reading the text. Nothing more. And then the finals is just some easy as fuck multiple choice vocabulary/grammar questions.

I asked around and English was tought in the same way. No wonder 99% of the population doesn't speak or even understand a secon language.
>>
>>318048074
wait, which episode is this?
>>
>>318054685
Delusions of what? I didn't say I expect to change the world but that doesn't mean I wont try. If i just sit around lamenting about how I'll never change anything then I never will. If I try I have the chance to do it or at least feel good about myself for trying. If your just insulting me on principle fine. But I genuinely want to know what you think is so delusional about what I'm saying.
>>
>>318054797
Honestly, it's a good thing. If they all knew English, output would probably drop like a rock.

Salarymen would just go work in America, where they could push paper for 16 hours a day and be loved by their co-workers and bosses. People would be less inclined to create shit because they could just watch crappy American TV.

Keeping Japan segregated from the rest of the world is best for everyone.
>>
>>318054324
>I don't want localizations, I want translations
>KONNICHIWA ANON-CHAN KUN DOKI DOKI ITADAKIMASU!!!!! HAVE YOU HEARD THIS ABSOLUTELY SUGOI [JAPANESE JOKE]???? OR HAVE YOU SEEN THIS NEW [JAPANESE MEME??

> injected with the latest dank internet memes
>Thinking that Japanese games are immune to memes
ayy lmao

> English VAs are absolute dogshit.
9/10 times people spout bullshit senpai.

>not having english audio saves time and money.
Tell that to XSEED.

Honestly though, why aren't you just studying Japanese so you can play your authentic Japanese experiences?
>>
File: rein.jpg (36 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
rein.jpg
36 KB, 704x396
>>318045030
I'm an ex-fagsubber and still scanlate OP, and here's the truth: their approach (much more on the liberal end of the localization spectrum) isn't wrong per se, at least not for some games and dialog. ALL translations of JP->EN involve some degree of "localization" because the languages are not at all 1:1, there has to be some interpretation and part of the translator's job isn't mere transliteration but rather to "translate" the CONCEPTS and feel to what it would be in English as well. Because moon is so context dependent for example certain things don't have any real direct connection.

Of course, there's a lot of room between machine translation shit and literal script writing. The real problem is that more doing a more liberal translation well IS REALLY FUCKING HARD. The more liberal it is, the more raw ENGLISH skill (not just jap) it requires to maintain accuracy. So if whomever is doing it isn't actually up to it, the odds that they'll fall on their face and produce something not merely mediocre but unbearable or totally fucking up the meaning goes way up with a more liberal vs more literal translation. And of course the content in question matters. Comedy is one of the hardest things to do, and also often requires being pretty liberal. But for other series with a lot more technical stuff liberal would be bad, sometimes the readers just plain have to learn some of the terminology. "It's an art, not a science" really does apply in general.

So NISA's issue these days is more that they're often just bad or are liberal inappropriately, not that a liberal approach is wrong in general. It's necessary in many instances, but it's not something that can be cheaped out on either.
>>
First of all, who fucking cares about the names, seriously. It really isn't a big deal if they change the names around or not.

Secondly, I don't think its a huge issue that they might change around some of the dialogue. It really depends on what they change, why they change it, and how much of it is being changed. If they just translated everything raw, theres probably plenty of jokes and shit that would be completely lost on westerners. Remember, they are trying to SELL this game. for MONEY. That means they cant just cater to the whims of a few weebs.
>>
File: Esty.Erhard.full.295630.jpg (4 MB, 2432x3481) Image search: [Google]
Esty.Erhard.full.295630.jpg
4 MB, 2432x3481
>>318052807

It was worse because others had germanic names which didn't get renamed so the name change made even less sense
>>
>>318045030
So the english language will actually feel like someone talking english? I don't mind that at all. There are so many phrases that's just badly dealt with during translation and it is immediately obvious that it was directly translated.
>>
>>318046459
What game is that from?
>>
>>318055883
Actually I think you're somewhat wrong, not about localization being valuable but about the "couple of weebs" maymay. Because the fact is a lot of NISA's stuff very, VERY much is specifically catering to weebs. They aren't exactly publishing CoD here anon, yeah some of their stuff has broader appeal, but a lot of it will never, ever, ever appeal to a broad audience no matter what they do with the dialog or censoring. In that case the "minority" suddenly is actually the entire target audience, which is fine for a low budget title but also means that the localization needs to be approached differently.

There is no one-size-fits-all in translation either, one's approach has to be adapted to both the material and the audience targeted. Just as "stuff should always be more literal!" is wrong and retarded, "stuff should always be very liberal" is also wrong as an absolute. A niche audience actually can be an opportunity in some business respects, because it can make certain aspects of localization cheaper. I don't think a lot of the old-school localizers think in those terms though, they often try to us the exact same approach everywhere. Which works for some vidya and then is bad for others.
>>
its a double edged sword. Sometimes adding lines is ok, because japanese text can be very boring and mundane at times.
>>
>>318045030
Sounds awesome to me. The change to Macaroon is small enough (and really cute, as the guy says), extra lines don't hurt if they keep the tone, and adapting japanese jokes is a must sometimes. Some translations simply won't work when taken to the letter.
>>
File: mkr_wd_translation_10.jpg (60 KB, 637x478) Image search: [Google]
mkr_wd_translation_10.jpg
60 KB, 637x478
>>318056346

Rayearth.

Working designs at it's finest, I guess.
>>
File: 1411280337037.jpg (99 KB, 735x785) Image search: [Google]
1411280337037.jpg
99 KB, 735x785
>>318045030
ITT: We can't learn japanese
>>
>>318056346

Magic Knight Rayearth for the Sega Saturn.
>>
>>318045030
A good localization where some liberties may be taken isn't a bad thing, if you've seen plays and books. Unfortunately for video games it seems that it's done by people who wanted to write and aren't very good at it but ended up here instead.
>>
>>318050874
>You don't change art
But we are talking about videogames
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.