[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>fucking Unity looks and runs better than most engines out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
>fucking Unity looks and runs better than most engines out there
How is that even possible?
>>
because its not dumbed down for consoles
>>
>>318033196
Why do devs feel the need to ruin a game's good graphics with chromatic aberration?
>>
>>318033258
>not dumbed down for consoles
>>
>>318033258
Unity works on all platforms, including mobile phones.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a70_QmnjhCU more Unity
>>
>>318033196
doesnt unity use c# or some shit instead of c++ like most modern games.

that language is easier on machines but c++ is suppose to allow more complex shit while still keeping it small.

im no expert on it.
>>
>>318033471
Holy shit that game is unity? Easily the best I've seen if it is.
>>
>>318033196
A game looking good is not completely dependent on what engine it uses anon, but how the developers use them.

I've seen Unity games that look better than cryengine games because the devs and artists know what they're doing, and are striving for a goal.
>>
>>318033196
>layers of jumpscares
I had high hopes for the game and the space fuckery it does, but it just quickly devolved into cheap jumpscare after jumpscare.

>walking down a hall
BOOKS EXPLODE OUT OF A BOOKCASE
>go past an open window
WINDOW SLAMS

and the stupid bitch scary wife trope whore wandering the halls like every other screamy meme game. Had potential but ya blew it.
>>
>>318033809
>stupid bitch scary wife trope whore wandering the halls
can I fuck it?
>>
>>318033196
unity is a good engine
>>
>>318033947
not yet, as far as i know you don't want to unlike alma or something, think she's like, skinned or some shit, i don't remember.
>>
>runs better

You can amke some well optimized games on Unity but most people don't even bother, Receiver is a great example of a shitty looking game that runs like shit on a lot of machines.
>>
>>318034063
as long as the hole is somewhat moist
>>
>>318033471
>pre-alpha

I remember a time when alpha and beta builds meant something
>>
>>318033291
never understood this either.
>>
>>318033471
My only problem with good graphics is that enemies become harder and harder to see.
>>
>>318033196
There are a few reasons for that, its build for lower end computers.

However runs better is another thing before, I happen to do game development and I'll tell you this there is a lot that could be better with Unity.

For example a lot of problems can be solved with poling when in other engines you could easily do it with event driven systems which makes the game run so much more faster.

When your not asking something..
>Can i run yet?
>Can i run yet?
>Can i run yet?
30 frames per second.
>>
>>318034372
That's called "pretty graphics", not good graphics anon
>>
>>318033492
>doesnt unity use c# or some shit instead of c++ like most modern games.
Actually Unity is written in C++, it's just the scripts that are written in C#.

C# is slower than C++, but in general the quality and structure of the code are way more important than the minor differences in the speed of the language. There's no reason you couldn't make a game with AAA quality graphics using C#, especially if it's just used for scripts and the performance-critical stuff (like rendering) is written in a lower level language.

The reason why many Unity games run like shit isn't that the engine or C# are slow, it's much more likely that the code is just shit. Badly optimized code will run like shit no matter if it's written in assembly, C++ or Java.

And since Unity and C# are much easier to learn than something like Unreal and C++, inexperienced game developers tend to use Unity and end up making shit games.
>>
>>318033196
>Unity looks and runs better than most engines out there
no
>>
>>318033196
>this is supposed to look good
everything looks like it's made of plastic because of the shitty reflection
and that chromatic aberration
>>
>>318033291
You don't walk around with two soviet M39 mount lenses on your eyes every day? Of course you wouldn't know what it's like to use chromativision.

It's completely retarded to use it. Even in a video segment I don't see the point of using it.
>>
>>318033291
Chromatic aberration is the new '00s HDR lighting. Holy shit I never understood people complaining about bloom when the HDRs effects made everything look like that.
>>
>>318033196
Unity isn't actually a bad engine. It's just that noob devs tend to use it, since it's free and easier than UE, and make shit games with it.

I wouldn't say it runs better than most engines, though.
>>
>>318033291
>>318034270
It hides imperfections and things like 2 poly corners making them 'look' more natural by blurring them slightly and letting your brain fill in the blanks.
>>
>>318033196
>looks and runs better
>aliasing fucking everywhere
>>
>>318033196
it's not a bad engine when used by a good developer

it's just that so many indie shit developers use it to make shitty looking games that it gets a bad rep
>>
>>318035484
The problem with that is good devs don't use Unity.
>>
>>318035008
I pray for the day when the industry can finally move on to something like D that offers the best of both worlds and more.
>>
File: 1448172703356.webm (520 KB, 696x392) Image search: [Google]
1448172703356.webm
520 KB, 696x392
>>318034063
even better
>>
>>318035310
UE4 is free too, on royalties on sales.
>>
>>318033196
Chromatic Aberation tho
>>
>looks

maybe if it was 2005.

unity is incapable of modern day shaders and light rendering.
>>
>>318035832
That's why I said it was easier than UE.
>>
>>318035920
>unity is incapable of modern day shaders and light rendering.

What do you mean? Even if the shaders bundled with Unity weren't that good (which I disagree with, you can do amazing stuff even with the default shader if you know what you're doing), what's stopping you from implementing whatever shader you want to on Unity?

Unity uses the same language (HLSL) for shader programming as UDK, CryEngine and most other modern game engines, so you seem to be implying that all of those are "incapable of modern day shaders and light rendering".
>>
a game is limited by the game programmer, not the game engine
>>
>>318035380
that's not what CA does
>>
>>318036504
DUDE MIND = BLOWN LMAO
>>
>>318036584
It does do those things though. People use it in digital paintings to hide sloppy edge/line work as well
>>
>>318033492
C# is slower than C++ but its still ridiculously fast compared to things like java
>>
File: benchmarksJan2009Final.gif (95 KB, 1200x635) Image search: [Google]
benchmarksJan2009Final.gif
95 KB, 1200x635
>>318036932
That may have been the case 10 years ago, but not anymore.

http://reverseblade.blogspot.fi/2009/02/c-versus-c-versus-java-performance.html
>>
>>318037346
>.NET 3.5
opinion discarded
>>
>>318033196
because that's Unity 5, the version that came out this year.
>>
>>318037462
The difference is even smaller if we're comparing JRE 8.0 and .NET 4.5
>>
>>318037952
Good to hear Java's gotten their shit together then.
>>
>>318035615
Fuckin love Hellraiser. 3rd movie and onwards turned shit quick though.
Undying is cool, Jericho is shit.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.