[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Dr. Breen really a bad guy? He was essentially the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 37
File: Breen[1].png (604 KB, 1010x579) Image search: [Google]
Breen[1].png
604 KB, 1010x579
Was Dr. Breen really a bad guy?

He was essentially the only thing standing in the way of humanity's extinction. I mean, they were up against interdimensional colonists. What chance did Earth have, really? At most they would all die with what little dignity that remained.

He convinced the Combine that Earth had "value" and was the only thing keeping them from sucking the place dry and blowing it up. Why didn't Gordon see this? Why didn't he and Dr. Kleiner try to get him on the inside so he could at the very least try to get deep within the Combine forces, much like he did with Xen and the Nihilanth.

Maybe that was Breen's plan all along. Maybe he either wanted to use Gordon to help take down the Combine, or perhaps, in a sense, sell Gordon's soul to the Combine to use for their own purposes.
>>
Fortunately we'll find out in Half Life 2: Episode 3 soon.
>>
Who cares? Everyone is a pawn of G-Man anyway. The individual motivations of pawns are at the end of the day irrelevant.
>>
>>318011460
How did he die again?
>>
>>318013543
It is unknown whether or not Breen escaped to the Combine homeworld, or was destroyed with the Citadel.

The ambiguously canon Twitter account that Marc Laidlaw runs suggests that Breen was transported to the Combine homeword through some sort of vessel, but simply stored away and forgotten.
>>
>>318011460
>He was essentially the only thing standing in the way of humanity's extinction
bruh the main goal of the combine is to assimilate them into their alien army. The human race was going to be extinct anyway. All he was doing was prolonging the inevitable in exchange for him having a cushy position in the upper combine ranks
>>
File: Vayne_solidor.jpg (642 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Vayne_solidor.jpg
642 KB, 1200x1600
Was this guy really a villain?

When the main party confronted him I found myself trying to figure out what they were there for other than Ashe getting revenge for her father.
>>
File: 1392686597089.png (136 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1392686597089.png
136 KB, 250x250
Why can't we have a half life general? Is it because you didn't start off with the tie quote? I just want to discuss half life
>>
>>318013784
Thanks anon. It's been years since I played any Half-life game.
>>
>>318014416
I really just want to discuss Half-Life, too. I guess people only want to discuss HL when you start the thread with one of those unforgettable quotes.
>>
>>318014742
>>318014416
you have to mention how scary the mawmen are
>>
>>318014742
To answer the OP (I'm assuming that's you), maybe breen didn't *know* he was being a bad guy? I guess there's a chance he really did think it was best for humanity to be gobbled up by the combine, but I'm super positive that what I said in >>318013856 was on point, so whether or not he thought he was acting in Earth's best interest is a moot point
>>
>>318011460
Gman was playing Breen the whole time too.

Everyone important in this series are pawns in his game of chess. Every single thing that happens outside of EP1 and most of EP2 while you are out of his sphere of control have been meticulously planned to happen the way he has planned it.

Breen was always going to be rekt by Gordon, because it's part of G-man's plan.
>>
>>318015094
So why did G-Man kill Eli?

Was he really that mad about the Vorts stopping his control over Gordon?
>>
>>318015094
Are you sure the Gman was controlling breen? He's been acting against the combine the entire time. While I do think that it was part of his master plan to have gordon wreck breen, I don't think gman was controlling breen at all

unless there's something I'm missing
>>
>>318015203
I don't think gman killed eli. gman doesn't have any sway with the combine
>>
>>318015094
G-Man isn't really controlling anyone but Gordon. It's why Breen says that "your contract is open to the highest bidder" shit.
>>
stop putting more thought into stories than the creators did
>>
>>318015383
But gman was controlling Eli, as well. Eli brings it up at the end of episode 2
>>
>>318015369
Well, he wanted to make sure Eli was killed. He tells Gordon to ensure Alyx gets to White Forest safely, and tells her to tell Eli to prepare for "unforeseen consequences".
>>
Half Life has a "ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA" story to it, you know Earth is going to win. Or all of the other alien races will rebel and the Combine will fall apart or something like that
>>
>>318015758
Shit I forgot about the unforeseen consequences line, but I'm still convinced he didn't actively kill eli. I think he must have known it was going to happen, but him sending combine after eli goes against everything the gman is working towards, y'know?

So maybe because the vorts helped gordon fuck up the gman's plan, he knew they would get found out by the combine, and the gman couldn't stop it?
>>
File: d1_eli_010003_49073_7087[1].jpg (494 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
d1_eli_010003_49073_7087[1].jpg
494 KB, 1680x1050
Anyone want to co-op Episode 1 and Episode 2 with Synergy?
>>
>>318011460
Yo who the fuck or what the fuck is Gman
>>
>>318016221
Are you asking that, having no knowledge of the half life games? Or are you asking that as a deeper question
>>
>>318016221
A lot of guesses, and not a whole lot of answers.
>>
>>318016095
I'm down
Someone want to host a server or are we joining something public?
>>
>>318017003
I'll host if there's enough interest. Don't feel like setting that shit up for like 3 anons and some random shitters.
>>
>>318017114
Well, you got one guy so far
>>
>>318016221
Gordon Freeman's conscience
>>
File: chono slap.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chono slap.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>318011460

>He was essentially the only thing standing in the way of humanity's extinction.
Not really, the combine infected the water with some virus that didn't allow anyone to reproduce, so basically they planned for humanity extinction, that and all the resource drainage.

The combine knew what value had the earth before Breen actually told them anything, since you know, they have done the same deed countless times already and that is the main reason as why they came to earth, they have been draining it from resources since a long time as you can see how drastically the water levels decreased among other stuff.

If anything Breen actually helped the combine to subdue humanity faster due to his nonstop broadcast and preaching.

Nigger did you even play the goddamn games?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUiSDrlPEk
>>
>>318017702
>the combine infected the water with some virus that didn't allow anyone to reproduce
silly goose that was the suppression fields that stopped reproduction. The water makes you forget
>>
>>318016221
Who the hell knows, people only found his name because someone took apart the game files and looked at the 3d model name, and with valve being a comfy position of keeping money by doing nothing we will never know.
>>
>>318015094
G-Man is the one controlling the actions of Freeman, but quite a few lines suggest that he is in the employ of someone else, and that this is all falling in line with their plan. The Episode 2 monologue encounter reveals a lot, including the fact that G-Man is sometimes under pressure from other parties and has to abide by certain 'restrictions'.
>>
>>318017702
There's a suppression field stopping people from breeding, not the water. That's why Kleiner says people can start bangin in Episode 1, since it gets destroyed
>>
>>318017702
>the combine infected the water with some virus that didn't allow anyone to reproduce

Source? Pretty sure anything to do with making people infertile was cut.
>>
File: All-knowing_Vort_singing.jpg (578 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
All-knowing_Vort_singing.jpg
578 KB, 1000x563
What do headcrabs taste like?
>>
>>318017945
Seems like both you and the anon you were replying to missed this big detail while playing
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Suppression_Field
>>
>>318011460
> the only thing keeping them from sucking the place dry
>Combine are literally draining earth's oceans
> the only thing keeping them from sucking the place dry

You had one fucking job Breen!
>>
>>318017945
>>318017939
Oh right, water was making people forget, supression field didn't allow them to reproduce, mixed that up.
>>
>>318017996
That shit can't be good. There doesn't seem to be any fat on them. Plus there's a chance we can't even eat them due to high ayyy lmao levels
>>
>>318017996
Most never tasted meat tastes like chicken. So I bet chicken.
>>
File: Gator head.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1554) Image search: [Google]
Gator head.jpg
398 KB, 1920x1554
>>318018404
>Was told Alligator tail tasted like chicken

>It really does, but saltier.
>>
does anyone else think that the "city eaters" are pretty fucking terrifying
just imagine looking outside every day, and seeing a gigantic wall move ever slightly closer to your dictated apartment, hearing the crushing sound every day
>>
File: f.jpg (107 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
107 KB, 1280x1024
>>318011460

It all depends on your point of view. It has been seen across fiction that hiveminded organisms possess a great strength compared to humans who remain individualistic. Whether the Combine was simply going to use humans as slaves, (Stalkers), or as minions to conquer other worlds, (soldiers), it doesn't look like a good deal. Naturally humanity would fight back. But Breen supposes a different story...

(Judith leads the pod into a room with Eli and Dr. Breen talking)
Dr. Breen-..ancient stars colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants, inhabited
by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the
membranes where dimensions intersect...Impossible to describe with our limited
vocabulary!

Breen envisions greatness for humanity. In the second map of HL2, Breen addresses a letter sent by a concerned citizen. Mulling on about how immortality is now within our reach. Immortality by becoming part of the Combine, perhaps? Now instinctively we recoil at this. I don't want to be a slave, neither do most folks I imagine. But what if being a "slave," was actually being part of a whole? What if human minds could be enraptured into one in the gigantic Combine consciousness?

Then humans could theoretically live forever. Not as individuals but as one! Think, my friends. When you go to a concert, you are together with hundreds, if not thousands of other people. Chanting the same lyrics, forgetting yourself in the whole that is the crowd. There is no "I," in that moment. There is just "the" moment. What if we could stretch that moment across an eternity? What if we could stretch that moment across a thousand eternities? Let us go into the void, as one.
>>
File: Gonarch.jpg (329 KB, 800x683) Image search: [Google]
Gonarch.jpg
329 KB, 800x683
Reminder that by killing the gonarch you fucked up the ecosystem
>>
>>318018841
>Then humans could theoretically live forever
What would the "human race" even mean if we were all part of the same hivemind though?

Had Gordon not turned off the suppression field, that would have been the last generation of humans. Would the combine even have let "them" into the hivemind? Because up until that point, they assimilated the other races into their army, and not in this hivemind breen was talking about.

If they let one human into the hivemind, and killed everyone else, would that mean that "humanity" was still in the hivemind?
>>
>>318019128
This deep as fuck
>>
>>318018980
Xen was destroyed anyways. Who gives a fuck.
>>
>>318018980
It was him or me. Why should I give a shit about some borderworld when there's headcrabs eating my best friend?
>>
File: B.png (121 KB, 244x246) Image search: [Google]
B.png
121 KB, 244x246
>>318019128
>What would the "human race" even mean if we were all part of the same hivemind though?

Who says the "human race" isn't an obsolete term in an age where if we lost our computers many important documents and memories would be lost forever?

>If they let one human into the hivemind, and killed everyone else, would that mean that "humanity" was still in the hivemind?

The one they chose would say yes. Everyone else would cry foul.

>Would the combine even have let "them" into the hivemind? Because up until that point, they assimilated the other races into their army, and not in this hivemind breen was talking about.

Guards, get in here!
>>
Who is your Gordon Freeman /v/?
>>
File: 1374633604108.jpg (7 KB, 243x280) Image search: [Google]
1374633604108.jpg
7 KB, 243x280
>>318017996
>Those textures on the Vortigrunt
>That bumbmaping
>That light
>That edgeless model
Half Life 2 is fucking impressive, this shit really makes games like Fallout 4, SWB or GTAV look like Nintendo 64 games.

I guess Sony and Microsoft are really holding back PC.
>>
File: By the Emperor.jpg (144 KB, 663x1600) Image search: [Google]
By the Emperor.jpg
144 KB, 663x1600
>>318018841
>>
>>318019337
>him
>>
>>318011460
We don't know. There's certainly some room to speculate that he wasn't.

Just wait for the sequel.
>>
Yes, he was really a bad guy, he was helping the combine keep order long enough for them to consume all of earth's natural resources and it's implied that he allowed the combine invasion to happen in the first place.

He is the one who instructed the scientists to use the anti matter spectrometer in such a way that would cause a resonance cascade, and it was agreed by the science staff at Black Mesathat this was unusual and potentially dangerous. It's possible that communication was established with the combine at some point during human expeditions to Xen and that Breen agreed to cause the resonance cascade on purpose and assist them with the occupation in exchange for great personal power.

How else does a SCIENTIST, not a politician or general or billionaire philanthropist or what have you, but a SCIENTIST, come to manage the surrender of Earth's forces? Because there was likely a pre existing arrangement.
>>
>>318019410
>Who says the "human race" isn't an obsolete term in an age where if we lost our computers many important documents and memories would be lost forever?
Important documents and memories won't matter if there aren't any humans left. Humans existing are what matter, and as long as the human race still exists, the term "human race" of course wouldn't be obsolete. There's been a ton of old sacked cities, lost languages and texts. But humanity still soldiered on.

>The one they chose would say yes. Everyone else would cry foul.
See, I don't see how you could use the concert metaphor if you claim that one human in the hivemind would be "humanity." It would be one human in a sea of other species. But I guess now we're getting into the territory of shedding humanity entirely, and the hivemind being the new "species." But if that were the case, humanity would still be gone, and I'm really not sure if that would be worth it
>>
File: lol.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>318020080
>Important documents and memories won't matter if there aren't any humans left.
>See, I don't see how you could use the concert metaphor if you claim that one human in the hivemind would be "humanity."

But see this is your conjecture that the Combine would only accept one human.

And of course it's my conjecture that the Combine would accept us all. So yeah.
>>
So what exactly is Gordon fighting for? And why did the gman choose Gordon? For all we know Gordon simply showed up to work on a bad day which then created the giant domino effect. But why is it that we assume Gordon is to be earths savior? Why was the assignment only given to gordon and not some other soldier who could be better equipped and trained? Is it because Gordon is an analog for the player and its a video game and due to tropes in video games the player thinks for Gordon and assumes he is there to save the day despite being some average physicist?
>>
>>318016221
G-man just exists to provide trippy cutscenes, and that's not a bad thing
>>
>>318020394

And don't mistake this as me copping out it's just we're getting into speculative territory where neither of us knows what the Combine want. I was attempting to rationalize what Breen may be thinking, but in all likelihood given that the Citadel has an innumerable amount of humans in pods, stalkers in pods, the state of Nova Prospekt, the Combine just want humanity's teleportation technology.
>>
File: I GUESS.jpg (20 KB, 232x254) Image search: [Google]
I GUESS.jpg
20 KB, 232x254
>>318020394
Oh, I didn't think that the combine would only let one human in, I guess I was trying to figure out what humanity would even mean if we got eaten up into a hivemind. And I'm guessing humanity wouldn't mean anything at that point. And now my head hurts and I've lost track of what I think I was trying to get across.
>>
File: waiting for hl3.jpg (892 KB, 1750x2500) Image search: [Google]
waiting for hl3.jpg
892 KB, 1750x2500
>>318019595
>just wait for the sequel
>>
SYNERGY SERVER WHERE
>>
>>318019812
just because he was the administrator of a research lab that doesn't necessarily mean he was a scientist
>>
>>318020602
>why not other soldier better equipped and trained
because soldiers are useless compared to him, just watch how he wrecks the shit out of people with military training, military assassins, aliens, alien warmachines, and misc in the first game, not to mention people with his same equipment also failed in tasks he does as seen by the dead bodies in test suits on xen, then gman takes special interest on him as the game proceeds eventually grabbing him by the balls and freezing him in time to use him for his hidden purposes which are only stated to be dictated by a contractor.
>>
WHEN IS SHEPHERD COMING BACK
>>
>>318013543
>>318013784
>>318014514
It's implied he's the grub you see get launched out of the Citadel in a pod in Episode 1, and possibly the one you find in the barn in Episode 2, and maybe even the one that kills Eli.
>>
>>318020602
The gman chose Gordon because he managed to survive black mesa and kill the nialanth or however you spell it. I think the gman started to observe gordon, but I don't think he chose gordon until the end of half life, when he recruits him on the space train
>>
>>318021043
Why couldn't G-Man also send in Adrian Shephard?
>>
>>318021204
How is he a grub? Unless he malted into one. Or was one the whole time.
>>
>>318021271
He wiped his memory and sent him to the future to combat other terrestrial threat :^)
>>
>>318021271
because valve will never use adrian in their games ;_;

but I think valve considers the expansions to be cannon, right? So there might be a chance?
>>
>>318021363
You see him talking to a grub in ep1 (I think) and he's talking about them giving him a host body
>>
>>318021363
When talking to the Combine just before Gordon arrives, he says something about needing a vessel. His mind is placed inside of a Grub so he can survive the Combine homeworld's environment.
>>
>>318021363
To clarify, I mean an advisor, not the antlion grubs.
>>
>>318021408
adrian shepherd is basically Schrodinger's cat right now
>>
>>318021408
Well, there's keyboards with his name spelled out by different colored keys in portal 1 or 2 as a neat easter egg, so you have that going for him at least.
>>
File: synergin.png (85 KB, 1094x861) Image search: [Google]
synergin.png
85 KB, 1094x861
EVERYONE GET IN THIS SYNERGY SERVER

HL2 EPISODE 1 AND EPISODE 2 CO-OP STARTS NOW

IF YOU DON'T HAVE SYNERGY INSTALLED, INSTALL THAT SHIT

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17520/

IT'S FREE
>>
>>318015250
How do we know that the Gman works for the combine and not other force? We don't know what the actual conflict is outside Earth, for all we know, the Combine might be the lesser of god knows how many evils
>>
>>318021636
That server is dead

Join my server and see if it works, the one that says "Synergyyyyyyyyyy"

Password is "ayy"
>>
>>318021636
you'll also need EP1 and EP2 and HL2 installed, by the way
>>
>>318021831
It works, 2/10 so far
>>
>>318021791
>How do we know that the Gman works for the combine and not other force?

The gman definitely isn't working for the combie because he's pushing Gordon to destroy them, but he's most likely not doing this because he gives a shit about the humans. He's almost certainly working for something a lot larger than just Earth vs. Combine
>>
>>318021481
>>318021483
>>318021551
That's right. It's coming back to me. Thanks anons.
>>
>>318017114
Let's go. Post your steam.
>>
>>318022072
see
>>318021831
>>
>>318016221
Gordon-freeMAN
>>
>>318021636
>mfw dungeoning with friends in ffxiv

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE
>>
>>318022020
That's my point. We don't know shit about what's going on outside Earth other than it's pretty bad, and pretty big. Which is why I like the story in HL so goddamn much once you listen to it. It makes you feel like shit is bigger than anyone's imagination
>>
>>318022072
>Post your steam.

Just join the server, weirdo
>>
WE JUST HAD THIS THREAD TODAY

please let's do it again, it's been forever since we've had good HL threads :3
>>
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831
Get in here
>>
>>318022341
I promise this is the first time I've ever posted this thread. Please don't confuse it with the generic "X did nothing wrong" meme posts.
>>
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831

GET THE FUCK IN THERE FOR HL2 CO-OP
>>
>>318014143
Dude was a power-hungry bastard. He was responsible for the whole thing where they pinned the king's murder on Basch, which was not only murder but ruined the treaty they were going to have. Had his own father killed and then killed another guy to frame him. Then there's the shit with the judges he has in his pocket doing shady shit. Also, he's the one that sent people to fuck up that monastery the party visits before getting that nethicite-destroying sword.
>>
>>318019513
I will say that in GTAV is just nostalgia talking. But Fallout 4 DO looks worse than HL2 a lot of the times. It also has a worse artistic direction
>>
>>318021030
>DOCTOR Breen
How many kinds of doctors worked there?
>>
>>318014143
underrated character
>>
>>318019540
The gonarch had a giant testicle, clearle was a xer. HL was ahead of it's time, bringing the ultimate dream for any SJW when it comes to vidya.
>>
>>318016221
gordon from the future xD
>>
File: houndeye_by_ashirox-d6g5de4.png (987 KB, 1139x701) Image search: [Google]
houndeye_by_ashirox-d6g5de4.png
987 KB, 1139x701
Houndeyes are cute!
CUTE!
>>
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831

HL2 co-op. Get in here
>>
File: Overwatch_Elite.jpg (70 KB, 380x632) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch_Elite.jpg
70 KB, 380x632
Would you become a combine elite? they look cute.
>>
>>318022931
Does someone has the videos that shows the houndeyes AI?
>>
>>318015807
>implying we will ever see the end of half life in our lifetime
>>
>>318021831
5/10
>>
File: houndeyes.jpg (81 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
houndeyes.jpg
81 KB, 800x650
>>318023331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jO-P3kXlCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxag2TDqtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8_R2OMgNUY
Here you go
>>
>>318023592
Jesus fucking christ, and it was on a 1998 game. I really love when a game is polished like this. Hell, not many games today do this kind of thing
>>
>synergy requires hl2 to be installed

Fuck's sake. Give me a few minutes.
>>
So black mesa was a "research facility", but what the fuck they were researching?

Prototype guns?
Other dimensional crystals?
Portals to other worlds?
Why they had toxic and nuclear waste all over the facility?
>>
>>318023842
All of that and more.
>>
>>318023842

Teleportation technology, military projects.
>>
>>318022736
Not all Xers have testicles.
Not all Xims have periods
>>
>>318023842
All of that and much more
>>
I'm relatively certain that humanity has already unlocked limited time travel in that storyline and they're either trying to push it forward or find a way to jump in small steps to prevent the even that started the decline.

I honestly think that's the true mission of the G-man.
>>
>>318021831
>>318021831
>>318021831

GET THE FUCK IN HERE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-tgbLPxxY
>>
Have you ever time travelled so hard that you kidnapped yourself?
>>
>>318023842
Half Life 1 was a parody of area 51 tin foil conspiracies. The game isn't meant to be taken seriously.
>>
>>318024757
The story is still nice in the sense that you can decide on how much you want to take in. You can finish the game without actually listining to anyone
>>
>>318024236
Honestly, i think that the G-man is a plot rope that is impossible to tie up with main history, he is just there to provoke mistery and assumptions for the player to investigate or get some sense into it.
>>
SERVER IS EXPLODING
>>
Server back up
>Server back up
Server back up
>Server back up
Server back up
>Server back up
Server back up
>Server back up
>>
File: 1445896977149.png (17 KB, 247x239) Image search: [Google]
1445896977149.png
17 KB, 247x239
post yfw the nihilanth starts speaking to you
>>
You know what would be great? Half Life 3.
>>
Breen was a pragmatist in that he did what he felt had to be done to save what he could of humanity. However, he was also a coward more interested in self-preservation than the human resistance. He also shows pride in his role and status which manifested itself in obnoxious condescension towards Gordon.

So he had noble aims but human character weaknesses. All in all, an interesting and believable antagonist.
>>
>>318024667
>they have different eye color
>>
>>318024667
They don't even have the same nose.
>>
>>318027540
Breen was cowardly treasonous collaborator who deserved a bullet, fuck off.
>>
>>318027557
GREEN
R
E
E
N
>>
>>318027402
I doubt it. At this point if it came out it would include hats somehow.
>>
>>318011460
If HL3 ever comes out, I hope Gordon and Combine/Breen team up to a fight a newly emerged evil force.
>>
SERVER BACK UP
>>
>no gonomes in ravenholm
goddamn it volvo
>>
>>318014965
tfw mawmen in the thread
>>
File: 1440510537915.png (107 KB, 540x521) Image search: [Google]
1440510537915.png
107 KB, 540x521
Why did valve do this to us?

Will they make another game or just let is sit here speculating until we forget about half life existing.

every time I play through the half life series I cry a little but thinking that I'll never know any more.

And you have some valve employee who had the audacity to say that the "full game story is already completed."
>>
>>318011460
>he could at the very least try to get deep within the Combine forces
How?
>>
>>318011460
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. Fuck Breen. Man would be better off wiped out than enslaved. I know young betakeks and Yurotrash are fine bending over but I'd never offer humanity on a platter. Living in chains isn't living.
>>
File: Ichthyosaur.jpg (115 KB, 772x508) Image search: [Google]
Ichthyosaur.jpg
115 KB, 772x508
This guy gave me a heart attack when I was a kid. Glad they never brought him back for HL2.
>>
>>318028741
>tfw you'll never be fucked by the combine
>>
rejoin
>>
>server shutting down
>>
marbles you suck at nocopes
>>
File: Soldier_bed.jpg (96 KB, 277x662) Image search: [Google]
Soldier_bed.jpg
96 KB, 277x662
>>318023207
It doesn't matter if you want to or not. Once you become Overwatch they mind fuck you. It's sad. you join CP for some more rations and shit. Get told that if you move up to Overwatch you get even more rations and benefits. When you finally do move up they hook you up to a machine and wipe your memories and program you to be super loyal. You're guts are stripped out and replaced with tech. So when you can get those benefits you were promised they no longer matter and you no longer care.
>>
why the fuck were half life 2 vehicle sections so long
>>
>>318030296
Best parts of the game
>>
>>318013784
wait wasn't he turned into one of these tentacle rapist thingies?
>>
why did no-one shoot gordon freeman in the head
>>
File: plakat5_3_.jpg (89 KB, 560x798) Image search: [Google]
plakat5_3_.jpg
89 KB, 560x798
I'll be joining the server, if it's still up.
>>
>>318031112
I literally just stopped hosting the server because it's 5:25 AM here

Sorry bud
>>
That car fuckfest was super fun

>>318031112
Just went down
>>
>>318031293
>>318031305
Well fuck. Is anyone else hosting? I can try if nobody else wants to.
>>
File: 1428836883441.jpg (63 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1428836883441.jpg
63 KB, 500x330
>>318031112
We were done with Episode 1, and just did a small section of Episode 2.

>>318031382
Sure, but what part? Not sure if I want to go through HL2/EP1 again, just to quit when we get to EP2.
>>
>>318031382
I'll play with you. We beat Episode 1 entirely and skipped to the car section of Ep 2.
>>
Why were the Vortigaunts enemies in HL1 but not in HL2?
>>
>>318031739
They were slaves of the Ninilath
>>
File: 874832625.jpg (17 KB, 250x311) Image search: [Google]
874832625.jpg
17 KB, 250x311
>>318011460
I have seen this thread too many times now

go away combine advisor, you can't fool anyone, we wont surrender to you
>>
>>318031739
The final boss of 1 had them enslaved.
>>
>>318031828
Okay, so why did the Gman orchestrate the resonance cascade, only to have the same guy who caused it to fix everything that happened several years later?
>>
>>318031447
Alright, I'll try hosting. Server should be called Synergy: Electric Boogaloo. Password is "rage". Tell me if it shows up.
>>
>>318027063
He's talking about the gman and combine
>>
>>318032154
Can't see anything. Perhaps you'll need to portforward.

Regardless, what game are we starting on?
>>
>>318028567
They make shitloads of money just by existing now as people create all their content for them with games and user content inside their multiplayer games.
There is no reason for them to ever make another single player again ever again, or even any game at all.
>>
File: concerned088.jpg (272 KB, 637x1010) Image search: [Google]
concerned088.jpg
272 KB, 637x1010
>>
>>318028567
They wrote themselves into a corner. Not to mention because it's been so long people will be expecting nothing short of perfection, which is obviously not going to happen. Unfortunately they've given up, they don't need to make HL3 now that they can thrive off the games of other devs.
>>
>>318030627
That's a possibility.
>>
>>318034209
I still read this every year. The best web comic out there, I'd say.
>>
>>318034209
I miss concerned, how many years ago was it?
>>
>>318017849

>he drank the water
>>
File: dm_overwatch.jpg (344 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
dm_overwatch.jpg
344 KB, 1024x512
>2004 was 11 years ago
>>
Do we have a working server? IP?
>>
>>318019513
For all the shit that Valve gets, I feel like they are some of the best when it comes to videogames.
Their animation, art work and voice acting is absolutely top-notch.
>>
>>318011460
Dr. Breen was buying humanity some time - in part for his own benefit.
Dr. Freeman is trying to save humanity for good. For the greater good.
>>
File: enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg (69 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg
69 KB, 501x585
His hand gestures reminds me of someone.
>>
>tfw want to replay half life 2
>tfw remember vehicle sections
>>
>>318037464
Oh it shows.
>>
>reinstall and replay ep2
>thread is still here
>>
File: 290930_2015-03-29_00015.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
290930_2015-03-29_00015.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
>>318038854
That's obviously on low settings or something.
>>
File: chptr2_sec10009.jpg (166 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
chptr2_sec10009.jpg
166 KB, 1024x768
Everything is fine here in Nova Prospekt, according to everyone here in Nova Prospekt, sources inside Nova Prospekt said today. There is absolutely nothing about the situation in Nova Prospekt that is anything but totally fine. "There have been no unusual events or circumstances inside the former prison, now a theme park for humans, with rides and candy and cute puppy dogs and soft pillows," said Doctor Breen, the very handsome, smart, and kind administrator of City 17 and Nova Prospekt. "Really!"
>>
>>318038854
that pic is in low settings
just look at the textures
>>
>>318022496

You forget that vayne had something greater in mind, mankind freedom, and he got his wish at the end, mankind is forever free of the occuria.

He is more of an hero than ashe will ever be.
>>
File: Combine_shotgun_soldier.jpg (112 KB, 421x677) Image search: [Google]
Combine_shotgun_soldier.jpg
112 KB, 421x677
Hi
>>
File: concerned000.jpg (187 KB, 637x1010) Image search: [Google]
concerned000.jpg
187 KB, 637x1010
>>318035630
Way too frigging long ago. Even Freeman's Mind finished last year.

>>318034246
Still hoping for a proper unveiling of Source Engine 2 with HL3. Maybe they'll port all their big games to it? Who knows at this point. All we can do is wait either way.
>>
File: 1431557830645.png (55 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1431557830645.png
55 KB, 256x256
HL 1>HL 2
>>
>>318011460
>>318011460
>>318011460

NEVER TRUST A PERSON WEARING A TURTLE NECK!!!!

>>318011847

GMUN pissed his prized Freeman was released by a bunch of beedy eye slugs
>>
Is there a server up anymore?
>>
>>318011460

I think from his perspective humanity was a lost cause and he was just trying to save his own skin and become an advisor.
>>
>>318028808
wasn't he in for like a half a second when you were teleporting everywhere?
>>
>>318044479
there
>>
>>318044604
Was the whole "failed teleportation" thing ever given a proper explanation?
>>
>>318044881
lamarr
>>
File: hl2-combine-soldier.jpg (423 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
hl2-combine-soldier.jpg
423 KB, 1280x1024
>He was essentially the only thing standing in the way of humanity's extinction. I mean, they were up against interdimensional colonists

You mean those weak babies you kill in droves? A single military dude in 1 could probably take out a squad of them.
>>
>>318045969
That's a metro cop
They're humans that joined for more privileges
>>318030257
These guys are the soldiers
Also keep in mind that they used their real military to take over earth
>>
>>318046525
And they were still babies you killed in droves
>>
I want to learn more about synths. I always felt bad killing them when they let out one final scream that sounded like a whale
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.