[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a scale from 1 to 10 how fun is Mario Kart 8? Shitposters pls go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6
File: mario-kart-8-header.jpg (337 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mario-kart-8-header.jpg
337 KB, 1920x1080
In a scale from 1 to 10 how fun is Mario Kart 8?
Shitposters pls go
>>
>>316823301

fun as fuck/10
>>
I give it an 8
Not as good as CTR
>>

I prefer Sonic Racing Transformed, but I still play Mario Kart 8 and have a great time, so that's gotta count for something.
>>
>>316823301
It's less fun than previous Mario Karts

You're better off sticking with the SNES or N64 version of the game-- like every title on the Wii U.
>>
>>316823687
>SNES or N64 version of the game

They're garbage.
>>
The item balance is retarded and it suffers from having 1-2 characters as "better than the rest" so you're going to see a bunch of the same Koopalings, but the main game with the 13 dollars for all DLC adds a lot of replayability.

I dropped it solely because of the item balance though.
>>
I've never been a fan of mario karts, the newest one is worth one playthrough because of how much effort they put into the graphics, music, details, etc., but it's just way too simple for me to want to play more than once

Bought Sonic all stars transformed and liked it 10 times as much. Oops, I guess people are going to say I'm shitposting
>>
>>316823782
Seriously. In what objective way are the SNES and N64 versions better?
>>
150cc: 6.5/10
200cc: 9/10

200cc is too dope
>>
>>316823838

Is there really that much imbalance with the characters? I always just assumed they were just avatars that represented light/medium/heavy.
>>
>>316823856
no, thats just an opinion. i think mk8 is better, transformed has too many problems with lack of polish, wonky physics, and a lot of the track design needs reworking. both games are enjoyable imo
>>
Like a fucking 11/10

It's the best mario kart and anyone who says otherwise is either blinded by nostalgia or a fucking retard.
>>
>great gameplay and visuals
>online ia solid connection
>besteht dlc value since forever
Its fucking amazing only Bad thing is the local 4 player due to botched framerate
>>
>>316824146
The boat physics I think are the only iffy ones. Fuck Burning Depths. Other than that though I think it's the better game, if for item balance alone.
>>
>>316823930
This is objectively correct. 200cc is fuckin' sweet.
>>

Only thing that lets it down is battle mode. Everything else is perfect.
>>
>>316824146

Oh yeah, MK8 definitely has more polish, that's a fact. I don't think the polish makes up for the frankly boring racing gameplay though. SAST you're constantly boosting/drifting/stunting/etc. it has the higher skill ceiling and even when you're by yourself, there's plenty of challenge to race perfectly, as opposed to mario kart where it's only interesting if people are throwing dozens of shells at you
>>
I wish it had a separate game mode that brought back DoubleDash gameply
>>
>>316824514
>I wish it had a mode which brought back shit drifting and ice track physics

Fuck off
>>
>>316824314
i disagree. tracks like rogue's landing and graffit city where the car's physics can make hitting an edge or a small crack cause you to fly off the map. the only section where i dont really have any problems with is plane, mk8s glider is boring in comparison
>>
>>316824646

Eh, the drifting and physics aren't inherent to two players, but he did say MODE, which means optional, which means cut out the butthurt because you wouldn't have to touch it
>>
>>316824646
>shit drifting
No
>ice track physics
Fuck no

>Co-op racing, having a bro in the back tossing items and punching NPC carts, switching driver and gunner on the fly to store an extra item

Are you stupid? What part of what I said would make you think I only wanted the shitty parts of the game?
>>
>>316824494
imo 200cc makes the gameplay for mk8 a whole lot more fun. cant just take turns easily anymore, especially for tracks like cheeseland. learning how to go fast while also making sure you dont notch turns is a blast
>>

It's the best Mario Kart ever. Everything is fast and smooth, and the visuals are amazing.
>>

Im being serious here
>>
>>316823301
8 of course, can't wait for the sequels
>>
how the fuck am i supposed to get good at this game?

drifting makes no sense

do i let go of the accelerate button when i drift or do I keep it pressed?
>>
I forget, did Nintendo say that they were going to make more DLC for MK8? Because it feels like we were told that.
>>
>>316823301
Not as good as Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed.
>>
>>316823301

9/10

I'd give it a 10 if not for the horrible Battle Mode.
>>
>>316824921
Never let go of gas.

Hit the drift button, turn into the turn to turn sharp, turn away from the turn to go wide. Going too fast? Hit brake without letting go of gas, you'll slow down but won't lose your drift.

Get those gold sparks, let go of drift, boost.

In a windy part? Stop drifting one way early, immediately start a new drift in the opposite direction of the new turn. Easy peasy. Watch a youtube video
>>
>>316824921
>my mom wont let me drive big boy cars
>>
>>316823301
9/10, if they fixed the problem of blue shells being no fun for anyone and maybe accommodated a little bit more personal preference in options (would quite like to be able to have a longer race, for example), it could easily be a 10.
>>
>>316825248
thanks friend, that was actually really helpful.

which vehicle should i be using if im sort of new to mario kart?
>>
>>316825381
if 150cc max speed
if 200cc get a balance of accel and handling
>>
>>316824921
>>316825248
Should add to this, never let go of gas unless you are playing 200CC. Then you really will need to tap it off sometimes.
>>
>>316823301
8/10

It loses a ton of things in the transition from MKWii to this game that should have been present, but it at least keeps things interesting. Plus, most of the DLC tracks are spectacular.
>>
>>316825354
Yeah, blue shells fucking suck.

It kills your excitement when you're in first place and you hear and see it coming.
>>
I would give it a 9 like this guy >>316824395 for the battle mode but it's really the best mario kart game, so I give it a 10
>>
>>316825381
Not the bikes. For some reason the bikes drift way differently than the karts and I don't like 'em.

I use the Pipe Frame for everything, mostly because I'm a big nostalgiafaggot for the N64 days
>>
>>316823687
>snes and n64 ver better

snes version was a tech demo that got flagged for release, and it was stiff as fuck with limited mechanics.... but it worked. But its not better than any other, its the worst. But for an snes game its top tier.

n64 version was 2D sprites on a 3D plain and the stages were bland and extremely long. Snes was plagues with 5 lap tracks and AI that were programed to beat you, this one was plagues with those same AI and 2min lap times on tracks with one single obstacle.

now if you want two good games look at DD and mk8. DD's insane muliplayer and mk8's 200cc. holy shit balls son
>>
>>316823301
Between 7 and 8.

7 if lack of original Battle Arenas serves as a dealbreaker.

8 if you don't the coins system or red shells having airborne capabilities.

If anything else, single player 200cc at Baby Park on an HD set 40" or higher is almost like being on a roller coaster.
>>
8/10 at 150cc
4/10 at 200cc

I thought I would like 200cc but the courses are not made for it
>>
Really fucking good fun/10
Nah seriously like, it's really really good, I enjoy it, Everybody who comes round my house likes playing it.
The only real shame is Battle mode.
>>
It lasted a while. Wished Mario Kart had more variety in the items roster and courses, right now it feels a little too casual. Hopefully they take hints and make more courses like ExciteBike.
>>
>>
>>316823301

Even a pile of garbage can be good
>>
>>316823782
>>316823910

Detected underaged fags

Even though they've aged horribly, both are better than 8
>>
9/10 fun as fuck

/v/ is a horrible place to ask for opinions though you're dumb OP
>>
Like a fucking 1/10

It's the worst mario kart and anyone who says otherwise is either underaged or a fucking retard.
>>
>>316828181
Nostalgiafag detected
>>
200cc and DLC are the only things that prevented this game from being complete garbage

Still wouldn't recommend this game to anyone
>>
It has great tracks, graphics, and music, but it's at the cost of the gameplay, item balance, battle mode, and the roster going to shit
>>
>>316828181
>even though they aged horribly

so what you're saying is that they're not better than 8?

64's got a charm to it, and I miss Fake Item Boxes and buffering two items by holding one out, but it just doesn't play nearly as well as 8 does.
>>
>>316824646
>stop enjoying things that I don't enjoy!
>>
The worst Mario Kart ever

I didn't know how they could fuck up after how bad 7 was
>>
>>316823782
please leave underage faggot
>>
10/10 as long as there isn't a huge weight difference between players

>Every single player is Featherweight or Light
>Except the one Morton
>guess who's going to win most of the races
>>
They need to make Super Smash Kart Racing already
>>
>>316828519
>item balance

what does this mean, anyway? All I know is that Wii's was absolute garbage.

Which games had better item balances, what made them better?
>>
>>316828585
>I miss Fake Item Boxes
I don't. I still wonder why they took so long to remove them.
>>
File: s.gif (1 MB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
s.gif
1 MB, 640x426
minus8 / 10
>>
>>316828585

SNES requires more skill, and 64 has better multiplayer and an actual good battle mode
>>
>>316828715

8 is basically Wii's item balance with coins in place of thunder cloud
>>
>>316828181
I'm not underage. I haven't played 8, but I spent many hours playing N64 with my friends about 15 years ago. I'm asking how that version is objectively better than 8. As in, if some say or some how, someone could have played 8 in 1997, they would have preferred 64 because it was objectively better.
>>
File: look hither low class citizens.png (33 KB, 363x270) Image search: [Google]
look hither low class citizens.png
33 KB, 363x270
>>316828390
Pretty much this sadly. There's too much bullshit moments to call it a great mario kart game, it's only ok. I'd give it a 6.5/10. I've had my fun with it, the new tracks and chars are cool as fuck but aside that it can be a trainwreck at times.

It was clearly made to sell to a more casual crowd after 7 was clearly dominated by more skilled players who manipulated items well, mastered the tracks and would put anyone whose slow into a state of unwinability. Putting coins in the roulette while being only able to hold one item/set of items at a time was the first obvious sign, but then you have shit like Stronger tracking on both red AND greenshells so babby misses less, and then triple bananas being a circling items so you get hit more..it's all a buncha bullshit to let casuals catch up easier. Not only this but driving off the track no longer lets you dodge blueshells, they'll hit you on the recovery and take even more coins from you just to fuck you. Not to mention being put back on the track faster was their excuse (unless im retarded i cant time it in the year I've owned this game if it is there, maybe im too used to the 7 timing?) to take away the track reset boost when you get put back on after falling off.

Unless you manage to get and keep a tremendous lead you're not going anywhere. I've had races where I've only managed 1 fucking defensive item the entire race that got shot out from behind me immediately by triple reds in 2nd place. I got coins the rest of the god damn race. This game sometimes just DOES NOT LIKE you winning. It's intentionally made to keep skilled players down. It's the Brawl of the series. 200CC is cool at least, but this game is still a fucking wreck.

Mad casualbabbies incoming.
>>
I never liked Mario Kart after the SNES one. IMO, the 64 was shitty, GC was shitty, Wii was the shittiest. Didn't play the GBA one, the DS was shitty.

7 and 8 are good games. 7 is 8/10, 8 is 10/10.
>>
the UI is soo mind bogglingly awful that it completely turned me off the game.
>>
>>316826925
>ai programmed to beat you
>bad
fuck you
>>
GBA, Gamecube, and DS were the only actual good Mario Karts.

This one is just shit. Like Sonic Racing Transformed, but shitty.
>>
>>316829408

Holy fuck do you have literal shit tastes
>>
Base Game: 6/10

With all DLC: 7/10

First off, getting all DLC isn't as much a problem as with other games. It's insanely cheap mlby comparison. Also, the DLC maps generally have avoided the problem most of the main maps have. That problem being that the maps have very little iconic flow to them. They're beautiful and aesthetically diverse, but they don't have memerable feelings that diversify them from each other in their layout, unlike other Mario karts, where each course played very differently from each other. This problem is the result of the anti-gravity gimmick. If you look at the maps during the brief presentation screen that plays before each race, you will notice that the tracks go upside down, on their side, and all over, which looks cool, but while playing the track you won't notice this, because you'll be focused on the tea k itself and not the fact if the background is flipped upside down. In fact, you may only know you're in anti-grav because your wheels change. The devs did this for almost every map and as a result there's no iconic turns, straight always, or obstacles in almost every map. They all play very samey.
The lack of automatic mode also hurts the game. Look, I don't use auto, nor does any serious player, but its absence seriously hurts the pick-up-and-playability of the game. Yes it's 2015, yes online is the norm, but this series is based on couch co-op and every time I've played the game with a friend over, they find it frusteratingly difficult to get into unlike earlier entries.
The final flaw is the battle mode which is without a doubt the weakest in the franchise. I'm not joking, ask anyone, they straight up butchered it.

I realize I spent most of my post on the flaws, but I only get 2000 characters. It's still a good game that plays well and competitively speaking it may be the best Mario kart, but the fun factor isn't as high as it could be. I still reccomend it to any fan of the series, but not necessarily anyone that owns a Wii U.
>>
>>316829230
I don't know what to say, because I agree with your points but in terms of handling, I can't even play 7 after playing 8. I'd rate it a 10/10 on handling alone.
>>
>>316830061
The most spot on review of the game I've ever seen.

Well done.
>>
File: Oh gosh.png (50 KB, 205x196) Image search: [Google]
Oh gosh.png
50 KB, 205x196
>>316830262
Then you have shallow standards AND stupid-hands. The handling in both 7 and 8 are great. It's that or you have huge ape hands, which I could almost understand. I have arthritis and I can still play 7 to a high skill level.
>>
/v/ lied to me about this game.
I was told constantly that heavies are the only way to go, yet whenever I play the game online, lights and normals always win.
>>
>>316823301
Bretty gud but unfortunately because it was designed for widescreen once you get splitscreen going on both of you are going to get fucked by not being able to see what's coming up ahead of you and gauge turns.
>>
>>316824146

I'd say Sonic Transformed is better for single player, but MK8 is better for multiplayer and online.
>>
>>316830012
He's not all that wrong
64 is one of the worst Mario Kart. It might have pushed the franchise forward as a whole but the game itself is terrible.
GC is ok, Wii has it's flaws, and DS was ok.
THOUGH it shocks me that people legitimately think that 7 is a good Mario Kart with its even more fucked up item roulette and garbage courses.
>>
>>316830505
The more casual nature of the game dictates you play either lighties or heavies. Heavies if you can manage to get a lead and keep it forever, lighties if you're having bad luck and keep getting hit because the recovery time will be your savior since you cant defend yourself in 8.
>>
>>316823301
The best Mario Kart.
>>
>>316830012
sorry anon :/
>>
>>316830621
>7
>Garbage item roulette

MUH COIN AND 1 ITEM HOLDING FOR FREE SHOTS ON PEOPLE. Also if you're gonna complain about the troll tail, keep in mind that a more handholdy item exists in mk8 (pirahna pot).
>>
Before Splatoon - 9
After Splatoon - 6
It's impossible to find people on worldwide anymore.
>>
>>316830843

The coin was garbage in the original and SC

It's still garbage in 7 and 8
>>
>>316830843
MK7 doesn't measure distance when taking into account items, so you get retarded shit like people getting stars and bullet bills in 7 SNES star road at the very start.
If you played both 7 and 8 you would know this.
>>
>>316823301
BEST CASUAL MARIO KART WHICH IS A GOOD THING BECAUSE FUCK YOUR INTRICATE DOUBLE DASH/DS BULLSHIT
>>
9.5/10
>>
∞/10
>>
Im only at 13500 points and shit is difficult to win against 17000 or 20000 players.
9/10 great courses, racing takes mostly skill and learning of each course, blue shell is shit (but probably not a big deal if youre really good at the game).
>>
>>316830061
This guy nailed it.

It's a great competitive Mario kart, but falls a bit more flat in other areas.
If you own it, get the DLC.
>>
What is the best class for beeriokart in MK8?

For the record, the version my friends and I play is the finish your whole beer before you finish version, meaning I can stop at any point and work on it.
>>
About a 7 or so. 200cc is a bit more interesting.
>>
>>316829230
I feel like you're describing Wii not 8
>>
200cc/10
>>
>>316824147
Unless you count battle mode. But yeah it's pretty sweet. If nothing else, it looks beautiful.
>>
File: Chargin_Chucks_artwork.jpg (175 KB, 540x282) Image search: [Google]
Chargin_Chucks_artwork.jpg
175 KB, 540x282
>>316823301

seriously though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgGFG1oLetY

git gud, you're not allowed an opinion until you can juke blue shells like I can.
>>
>>316823301
>MK8
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.