[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck does one ROLEPLAY in this game? Legitimate question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg (34 KB, 238x293) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg
34 KB, 238x293
How the fuck does one ROLEPLAY in this game?

Legitimate question
>>
It's not a roleplay game.
>>
File: efjb.jpg (15 KB, 360x238) Image search: [Google]
efjb.jpg
15 KB, 360x238
ANSWER ME /v/
>>
>How do I roleplay in a first person shooter adventure game?

You don't?
>>
You can't. You're given a family at the start so that kinda takes away a shitload of options.
>>
Yu have 4 choices in every single conversation. That's more than the average in most other RPGs.
>>
>>316467767
>4 YES choices
>Implying that's a choice at all
>>
>>316467596
Only fags and retards actually roleplay in anything other than Tabletop RPGs
>>
>>316467596
the game has been streamlined so now you can pick between one and only one convenient premade personality. the game is great if you can roleplay as the character bethesda provides for you!

just try and visualize yourself as someone who just spent $60 on a product they were very excited for, trying desperately to ignore the feeling that they paid for a pile of garbage
>>
>>316467596
Its fps with RPG elements, not rpg to roleplay
>>
You can be goody two-shoes or a dick. That's about it.
>>
>>316467803
Stop pretending you ever picked "no" in any game.
>>
>>316467596
Let's not pretend anyone ever seriously sat down in Fallout 3 or NV and roleplayed beyond choosing good/evil/whatever'd they do IRL choices anyways
Not defending Fallout 4, just pointing out some harsh facts.
>>
>>316467767
>they all end in the same result
The number of times I've chosen 'sarcastic' with absolutely zero impact on the conversation is a joke.
>>
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/103/?

Better than nothing...
>>
>>316467596
>Bethesda in 2015
>making actual Role-Playing Games

This isn't 2001. Bethesda's been veering slowly away from their original RPG formula ever since Oblivion.
>>
>>316467878
And when there is a choice you have no idea if Sarcastic is yes or no, it's a clusterfuck.
>>
>>316467596
Ever heard of the Silver Shroud?
>>
>>316467843
what if i don't want to clutter my quest log because i have the autism ?
should i just step out of the conversation and get fucked ?
>>
How do you roleplay in any video game? I've never played one where you're not railroaded into stories and dialogue. The concept only works on tabletop.
>>
You can't. Everything my character says is either beta as fuck or edgy Reddit tier. You can't roleplay at all because you must follow the script that the developers want you to do.
>>
I like pretending to be a sneaky sniper.
>retarded voice actor won't shut the fuck up
Ruined 2bh
>>
>>316467843
Are you legitimately retarded?

I'll give you a few choices here
>YES
>Yep
>Mhm
>Yeah
>>
>>316467596
the same way you roleplayed in the witcher, mass effect, deus ex etc
>>
File: 1440384457283.jpg (68 KB, 407x584) Image search: [Google]
1440384457283.jpg
68 KB, 407x584
>>316467815
>>
>>316467596
>How the fuck does one ROLEPLAY in this game?
easy, you go back to 1 and 2
>>
>>316467956
one of those should be

>sarcastic yes
>>
george "superbunnyhop" weed-man seems to get it right by roleplaying as a businessman.
>>
>>316467926
I think it's a pretty silly thing to complain about amidst all the other problems, like they're just looking for an excuse.
I mean no-one said "Aw man I can't roleplay for fuck I'm stuck as a grizzled monster hunter" for Witcher 3
>>
File: Choices_in_Black_Ops_II.png (99 KB, 1494x6464) Image search: [Google]
Choices_in_Black_Ops_II.png
99 KB, 1494x6464
Choices are for FPS silly OP
>>
>>316467826
You can't even be a dick when questing. It just greys out the option after you've said it and you're left with the option to do the good option and continue or just exit.
>>
>>316467926
You start with a personalized build (if the game lets you have one, at least)

Then you think of what quests your character would/wouldn't undertake, and behave as they would.

The end result depends entirely on how the game deals with roleplaying, really
>>
>>316467973
Except witcher and Deus Ex provided different outcomes depending of your choices.
>>
>>316467956
>Question
>Yes
>Fuck Yes
>Sarcastic Yes
>>
does anyone know if you can equip danse with other power armor pieces
>>
>>316468026
Implying the sarcasm answer is ever tells you if it's a positive or negative response.
>>
File: adamsexler.jpg (68 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
adamsexler.jpg
68 KB, 400x500
>>316467596
Pretty simple.
You have two super vague backgrounds to work with.
1) Male military vet
2) Female law school graduate
From there, you think about what kind of character you're going to be and look at the perk map so you match youre SPECIAL to the perks you need for your character.
When the game starts, move like your character, fight like your character, and if the dialogue system throws you just ask yourself what your character's first impulse would be. Not the exact wordage, just his first impulse.
For maximum roleplaying enjoyment I recomend sleeping every day in game, making sure you eat plenty of food and drink plenty of water, no fast traveling, and when you're on the road, unless you're a wilderness type, follow the roads.
>>
>>316468140
danse is a synth!
>>
>>316467956
>Yes
>Sarcastic yes
>Tell me more
>No

almost all dialog is this.
>>
File: 14456858379570.jpg (11 KB, 211x212) Image search: [Google]
14456858379570.jpg
11 KB, 211x212
You can't, character and choices are predefined. Its a Call of Duty game.
>>
>>316467973
>roleplayed in the witcher, mass effect, deus ex
Haven't played Mass Effect, but in Witcher and Deus Ex, characters have personality, but in F4 hero is just a boring dude. I don't feel any sympathy or attachment for him and can't care less for his family problems thus have zero interest in the story. His voice is annoying too.
>>
>>316467824
silly dumb faggot

level up mechanics aren't rpg mechanics they are just something associated with it
>>
>>316468283
>Implying you ever get a no
>>
>>316467973
The games you listed have one set main character. You are essentially roleplaying as that character with a little leeway on some choices. Whereas skyrim and fallout are open world sandbox and you "create" your own character. Funnily enough, they have even less roleplaying elements than the games you listed.
>>
>>316468283
With "No" being "Talk to you later" and you get same choices when you talk to them again in 95% cases.
>>
I give up.
>>
>>316467856
I role play nv as big boss (mgs3) with stealth mods and a big boss player model
>>
File: truthinadvertising.jpg (32 KB, 220x218) Image search: [Google]
truthinadvertising.jpg
32 KB, 220x218
>>316468364
>implying his voice is more wooden and boring than JC Denton's
I have to wonder if you even played any of these games.
>>
>>316467908
There are yes/no questions?
>>
File: failout 4.jpg (14 KB, 568x309) Image search: [Google]
failout 4.jpg
14 KB, 568x309
>>316467767
yet in the end you only have two choices
>>
>>316468364
Also, I've played it for a little more than an hour and the game reminds me Borderlands for some reason, not a Fallout game and I have a suspicion the person who made the script is super lazy and can't do a proper emotional story without including family members or had some family issues. Who am I kidding, they just lazy hacks
>>
>>316467596
Wait for a mod which eliminates all traces of the main story line.
>>
>>316468561
Did you? Despite the deadpan voice acting JC had some pretty nice things and shit to say.
>>
>>316467843
>Implying you never spent hours of your childhood trying to join Team Rocket in Cerulean City
>>
>>316468054
>black ops 3 has more endings than fallout 4
>>
File: spacenig.jpg (43 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
spacenig.jpg
43 KB, 320x240
>>316467908
See this is where your autism becomes an obstacle anon.
"Help me! Ouch! My leg is on fire"
Y "How'd that happen?"
A "Let me put that out for you my good man"
B "Doesn't matter; none of this matters"
X "I'm an asshole and I'm going to make a joke out of this instead of helping or not helping you."
>>
>>316467742
Same thing FO3 did.
>>
>>316467856
I did.
Several times.
>>
File: handsomelyconfused.jpg (23 KB, 308x400) Image search: [Google]
handsomelyconfused.jpg
23 KB, 308x400
>>316468703
So when it's a game you favor it's "deadpan" and when it's game you don't like it's "boring"
Interesting distinction, really makes me want to take your opinion seriously. Just kidding.
>>
>>316467856
What, the only bits of fun I had in NV was taking a man with no name approach to it, same with skyrim and being a hunter trapper. Thank god for mods. It was actually rather fun, too bad Beth is wrapped up in shoving their heads forever deeper inside their own collective asshole.
>>
The worst part is that all the reviews will give it 9/10s and praise it as the second fucking coming of clock ahmed jesus made flesh and bethesda will yet again get away with ruining every fucking thing they get their hands on.

Just like they did with TES.
>>
>>316468561
Nah, at least his voice fits his personality somewhat, but Fallout dude just doesn't have proper personality at all.
>>
>>316468841
Not him but I got his point. Morgan Freeman could read out Fallout 4 lines and they'd be boring. It's the content. When it comes to Deus Ex the delivery isn't great but what is actually said it interesting.
>>
>>316467596
Wtf? Why would I wanna do some gay nerd shit like that? I want to run around in my sick ass power armor and gun down zombies bro!
>>
>>316467596
By having imagination.
What? Are we pretending that the MC didnt had a preset backstory too in NV?
>>
The best thing Bethesda could do for FO5 is not make the protag a Vault Dweller.
>>316468898
Reviews are very mediocre for what people expected, which would be low-mid 90s and its high 80s. Its because its just the same formula in a coat of last years paint, which is still okay because it feels like a meaty experience and the shooting is now only meh instead of outright shit.

TES gets 10/10s because it panders to a wider audience than a shooting game does.
>>
wait for mods
>>
>>316469014
>not make the protag a Vault Dweller
What would you have instead? A raider? Some guy from the Brotherhood?

A ghoul?
>>
>>316468985
I actually found the preset main character interesting in NV though. Enough of a basic story to follow and enough of a blank slate that you can do what you want. Can't say that for F3, Skyrim, or here though.
>>
>>316467596
You play as the character as given in the story and take him or her in general direction of the main plot, while your small-scale actions determine the personality and morality of the character.

"Role playing" does NOT mean just wandering off into the wasteland to be LE RANDOM MURDEROUS ADVENTURER who is totally not a generic self-insert, which seems to be the number one "rohl pley" that loud, obnoxious people like you want to run with. Seriously, just go play Minecraft or something that completely lacks a story so you can do whatever.
>>
>>316469014
Alternate starts would be great. It'd only have to be a quest each and which ends up in the same place but being able to pick Vault Dweller, Raider, Settler etc would be great.
>>
>>316469113
All of those would be interesting as fuck. Especially a ghoul.
>>
>>316467596
You don't roleplay in a bethesda game because every protagonist is a straight up genocidal manic.

Just pretend you've gone nuclear.
>>
>>316469113

Literally anything? Fallout 2 had a tribal and New Vegas has a courier.

It seems stupid to still have vaults constantly opening 200 years later
>>
>>316468909
That's because this is an rpg, you're supposed to give him a personality.
>>
>>316469113
Some guy from some settlement in the setting. Make a small-scale storyline, rather than having the fate of mankind and entire civilizations in the balance of a single vault dweller who woke up a week ago.
>>
The shaky workshop mechanic could save the roleplaying for me if someone could tell me what the fucking controls are on PC.
>>
>>316469275
>Fallout 2 had a tribal
Fuck, I actually completely forgot about that. The vault suit in the beginning must have fucked my memories.
>>
>>316469338
Yes! I love doing small scale roleplay, it's so much more immersive than the usual world saving hype tripe
>>
Bethesda will never make the PC anything but a vault dweller because by doing so they think they understand what Fallout is about. Nevermind the fact that only the first game was about the VD, the rest was his descendant, a courier, a prisoner and some retard running nigger errands on the east coast fighting orcs in metro tunnels metro tunneasl fmeterso tunansrelafem te
>>
>>316469338
literally this desu senpai
>>
>>316469113
>tfw the next protagonist isn't just simple guy from the NCR and plays in NCR territory

Just let me play Kellog's lifestory pls
>>
>>316468985
>preset backstory too in NV?
Just like in F1 and 2. Main characters have back story as well, but it just gives you general direction to move the plot and leaves personality up to you: you've been born in the Vault, so you have to go find water chip/you've been born in the first dweller's village so you have to find GECK in order to save the village/you've been courier and you got shot and now searching for the guy which shot you. And in F4 you've been army veteran, had a son and wife, son is stolen and wife is killed, you've searching for the son and MC is constantly express his feelings towards his past.
>>
>>316469381
>forgetting that the protagonist of Fallout 2 is a tribal
>not roleplaying a tribal hero confused and disgusted by "civilized society"
You played it wrong.
>>
File: 1446456749961.jpg (73 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
1446456749961.jpg
73 KB, 550x413
In order for an RPG to be an RPG nowadays, it needs janky, cluttery, outdated mechanics that pander to a vocal minority.
>>
>>316469698
You actually pick your expressions towards the past though.
anything from the reasonable "My son's probably dead" to "I know he's out there cuz some drug addict told me so!"
>>
>>316469780
Literally the only thing an RPG needs is choice and consequence.

Sadly, even that is beyond most devs.
>>
>>316469278
>That's because this is an rpg, you're supposed to give him a personality.
Why does he have voice when? He have his personality somewhat pre-established as well, but it just boring and flat. Like in the beginning of the game he is talking about how he loves specific comic and Nuka-cola and also crying about his wife after she's got shot.
>>
>>316467596
You cant roleplay in any of the quests

But you can roleplay outside of it in the gameplay, in how you kill shit.

Thats basically it. Its pretty simplistic.
>>
>>316469142
Whatever you say about Skyrim, it's back story is a complete blank slate. Moreso than NV.
>>
>>316469823
It still gets in a way.
>>
>>316467856
Speak for yourself. I role played plenty in fallout new Vegas.
>>
>>316468985
He didnt, not in comparison to 4

NV main character is a courier who was hired to deliver something, and got shot in the head. The only other thing is the chip, but that has nothing to do with your characters personality, its just a plot device. Outside of that you get to choose a shitton of dialogue and potential actions to shape your character.

FO4 is an established family. You have a husband/wife and your son is directly tied into the plot and shoved into your face. Plus all the dialogue is pretty linear, you dont get much real choice in anything.
>>
>>316469173
Damn dude, chill out.
>>
>>316470063
The issue with all TES games is that you start off as a prisoner, even if you want to be a good little boy. At least they normally pass it off as a mistake.
>>
Fallout 4 allows for more roleplay possibilities than 3 at least. I mean in 4 your backstory is only that you are a veteran and that you have a wife and son - in 3 your entire prior life was set in stone.
>>
>>316468267
>From there, you think about what kind of character you're going to be
Too bad that the constant voice acting and comments immediately break that from me.
>>
>>316469956
Only if you open her chamber which you wouldn't do if you gave zero fucks about her, which wouldn't even fit in with his character's background anyways so I don't see why you'd complain about that.
>>
File: 1446123087434.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1446123087434.png
16 KB, 200x300
What ii your backstory if you play as a female?

Does she have one?
>>
>>316467926
>>316468048

You have no clue what roleplaying means in a cRPG context.

The basic premise is that the game gives you meaningful choices and presents you with varying consequences.

With a "blank slate" character you can choose the course of action that suits whatever personality/playstyle you determined for your character. Ideally, some variety of skill system exists that compounds this playstyle and affords you specialized options when dealing with the game's choices.

Of course a cRPG is always a pre-determined, scripted experience, and any "freedom" or "you can do anything!" is, for lack of a better term, "artificial freedom". You can't do something if the devs haven't thought or bothered to code it in.
So that's the reason why this approach is dying out in favor of the Minecraft-esque "You can do anything because nothing matters"-style of games: a compelling, well-disguised railroad experience (because that's what a cRPG usually is) that makes you feel like you're actually free to approach things your way requires a GOOD developer who's willing to put A LOT OF EFFORT into the game. These aren't things you associate with Bethesda.

Even with a predetermined character like Geralt a good game design allows you to experience roleplaying freedom. Sure, you're always playing a professional monster slayer, but you can choose if, for example, you want to be an ass about it, an altruistic goody-twoshoes or a mercenary that does whatever if there's money in it, and the game world responds to these choices.

In essence, you are given a ROLE and you decide how to PLAY it out.
Gee, would you look at that. I think we're onto something there.
>>
>>316468841
You do realize that deadpan and boring are both bad traits, right?
>>
File: 1372078631224.jpg (26 KB, 447x495) Image search: [Google]
1372078631224.jpg
26 KB, 447x495
>reach fuel station
>see dog
>"Greet dog"
>take out pistol, unload 20 bullets into the mutt
>it doesn't die
>it doesn't even turn aggressive
>it still turns into your companion
Dropped.
What a shit fucking game. Fuck everything about this casualized garbage.
>>
Fallout 4 is perfect for me

The only reason I play Bethesda RPGs is to explore shit and loot things. Fallout 4 is the best thing tp come out in a long time in that regard.
The lack of speech options is a bummer, but I can live without it (I had 100 speech in New Vegas, and talking my way out of everything was awesome)
>>
>>316469585
But the PC of FO5 is not a true Vault Dweller either. His vault's experiment ensured that he never had to live a day inside an underground nuclear shelter; he is essentially a Pre-War relic, born and raised in the outside normal world, that got transported forward in time.
>>
I had a question about crafting in general. So there are items you need to craft and materials you need to craft from salvaged items. Does that mean that I should not be salvaging everything for materials as some intact items that can be salvaged are used for crafting?
>>
>>316470379
Naw, autists think deadpan is cool.
Know your enemy anon, know your enemy.
>>
>>316470527
Common things like steel, wood, rubber it's best to salvage houses, cars, tires for.
Rare things like gold, circuitry, things of that nature you'll need to find items and bring back to the workshop.
>>
>>316470642
>>316470527
Right
So if you see something a bit odd, like a crystal decanter or some sort of kitchen gadget you don't see too often - pick it up. It'll come in handy down the line.
>>
>>316470527
I think all your junk is automatically turned into salvage once you reach a crafting station.

Items like weapons, armor, and the items you can salvage in workshop mode have to be manually salvaged. Tbh, salvaging weapons and armor isn't worth the trouble, better off selling them.
>>
just like skyrim is an RPG
world as shallow as a puddle with a few binary choices thrown in between
>>
>>316470642
>>316470728
>>316470750

So salvaging a military grade circuit board would be extremely unwise?
>>
>>316467596
This was what killed the game for me.
> Notice the option for scars, think they look pretty good
> I'll make a badass scarred chick, the type to kick ass and chew gum, etc, etc
> Voice is a whiny, simpering pussy
>Even the "tough/rude" choices make her sound more whiny and upset, than tough
> Realize every new game I'll be playing the exact same character, and the only difference will be what weapons I'm good with.
> Lose all interest and close the game
Haven't mussed up enough fucks to try again.
>>
>>316468985
You're confusing a self-insert blank-slate type of protagonist (fallout1&2, Bloodlines) with a predefined voiced and with already established past one (witcher, ME, FO4).
They're NOT the same thing, and the roleplaying is infinitely wider with the first case than the latter.
>>
>>316470728

Basically. When you're in a crafting menu and missing certain components you can 'tag' them ( think it's 'T' by default ). That way, when you're looking at loot, items that contain this component will have a little magnifying glass next to them. After a while you'll recognize which objects are valuable and which aren't. Hot plates all fucking day baby

>>316470750

Meh. If you get Scrapper to rank 2 when you start picking up modded weapons, you can actually get a lot of decent components.
>>
My character is called Dahmer, I travel around the wasteland and my settlements acting like the hero. Little do they know all the missing people recently have been stalked murdered and eaten by their hero.

I also tame animals and creatures and send them to attack people.

All I need now is the Killable kids mod.

Role playing is going well for me
>>
>>316470236
see
>>316470385
>>
>>316470815
At least in skyrim you could actually come up with your own character.
>>
File: Fallout4 2015-11-13 13-54-55-24.jpg (176 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4 2015-11-13 13-54-55-24.jpg
176 KB, 1920x1080
Are synths good or bad?
>>
Name a single game that lets you legitimately roleplay that was made after the era of infinity engine RPGs

protip: You can't.

>inb4 Obsidrone unironically say "Fallout: New Vegas"
>>
>>316467596
>roleplaying
Come on, it's 2015. Such videogamey concepts have no place in today's interactive experiences. Don't you enjoy the epic deathclaw batle you get into in the first 10 minutes of the game?
>>
>>316471141
Mount and Blade
>>
>>316471141
Alpha Protocol was fucking amazing.

Too bad the game itself was so shit.
>>
>>316470854

You can't salvage junk, only weapons and armor.

I think you're a bit confused. The only thing that's used in crafting are materials. The things that you pickup are only good for the components they're made out of. You just pick up junk that consist of materials you need, then deposit those in your workstation.

When you're building something, the game will never ask for a "military grade circuit board" or some other specific item. It just needs materials like steel and aluminum etc
>>
>>316467742
>>316468754
>Not self-inserting into the role.

Faggots.
>>
>>316467596

if you play it as an adventure game, which it is, you simply learn not to care
problem is they're trying to market it as an RPG
>>
>>316471264
By that definition even Super Mario Bros is an RPG
>>
>>316471141

dragon age origins
>>
>>316471284
The problem is that it's pretty bad even if you consider it an adventure game with some RPG elements tacked on
>>
>>316471141

dude sex
morrowind
>>
>>316471141
Vampire:Bloodlines.

Checkmate.
>>
>>316471234

OK that's what I wanted to know. Because whenever I get to the workshop bench I just withdraw all the junk and drop it on the floor and salvage everything.
>>
>>316469113
A scout from a small Enclave outpost that has been cut-off and secluded to the point where they're sure they're all that's left. So haggard and diminished in power, they send you out to determine if it is smart to re-emerge from their little hole-in-the-ground, make contact and learn what you can about the world outside as it has changed since they were tucked away.

Counter-argument to "What do you want to be, Brotherhood of Steel?!"
>>
>>316469338
Sadly, that's the complete antithesis of Bethesda's writing.

What boggles my mind about Fallout 4 is how ludicrously bad they did at handling their own preferred premise. It's so blunt and hackneyed, for for ">lol Bethesda writing" terms.

It's like preliminary script drafts nobody bothered to flesh out.

>at one point the player should get access to a kickass LOLEPIC power armor

Ah fuck writing up a quest or progression for that, just put one on the roof of the first main quest building.

>somehow the player should become the leader of some cosplay army that does good things

Oh shit nobody elaborated on the "somehow"? Fuck it, you let some random nigger declare you generalissimo of the wasteland for no reason 5 minutes into the game.

It feels like a parody.
Bethesda is so monomaniacally bent on immediately making you the chosen radborn messiah of the universe to appease the EPICLOL kids that you lose any connection to the game world. The Sanctuary Hills people are so monumentally stupid, lethargic and un-self-sufficient(?) that you don't feel like a hero or the glorious leader of a ragtag bunch of survivors when you help them, you feel like a nanny for paraplegic retarded children who would have been eaten alive by the wasteland long ago of you apply any sense of realism.

Actually it's worse than that because retards have an excuse for being dependent on you.
>>
>>316471589
It all started with Oblivion, with the Emperor telling you in the first two minutes of the game that you are the chosen one
>>
File: 1402947123439.gif (471 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
1402947123439.gif
471 KB, 380x285
>>316471234
>You can't salvage junk, only weapons and armor.

Junk is stored in workshop inventory and used as resource for item upgrades or building.
There is an exclusive keybinding to only transfer all junk items into its inventory.
Anything junk will automatically convert to the resource for that thing that is to be made while inside the Workshop's area of influence. That is why my crafting is only at one location, because no local leader perk.

Armor such as attire and headgear is not salvageable, or it's just not all clothes are upgradable; I.E. scrapable.
>>
>>316471548

>Because whenever I get to the workshop bench I just withdraw all the junk and drop it on the floor and salvage everything.

Christ man ...
Just go to the workshop bench, open up the transfer menu and press 'T' to deposit all your junk at once. They're instantly available as materials. They really should've added a tutorial for this kind of stuff, though most of it is so half-baked it's a wonder it even made it to release
>>
>>316471737

Well that makes everything easier then. Thanks.
>>
>>316470323
Yes!
She was a state employed lawyer.
>>
>>316468985
>You're a courier who falls on hard times

Man. What a backstory.
>>
>>316471735

Salvage, scrapping, whatever the right word was. I meant that the only type of items you can manually "scrap" ( outside of base building mode I guess ) are weapons and armor. The other guy posting was asking if it was unwise to "scrap" one of those circuit boards, but my point is that that's not even possible.

Unless you drop everything on the ground in building mode and then scrap everything manually, I guess
>>
>>316471306
Except you don't get to choose what Mario says and Mario has already made a name for himself.
>>
>>316471912
Like I said, the workshop does it automatically to the items in it's inventory when you need it. Otherwise the inventory of the Workshop is pretty much limitless, and that helps the fact that there is no real way to keep tabs on the resource count.
>>
>>316470434
>I enjoy eating garbage, therefore garbage is perfect for me!
>>
>>316471883
so that's why mum was so proficient with that power amor and minigun

It all makes sense now
>>
>>316472184
>my tastes are superior to yours

fedora.tga
>>
>>316471689
It's the premise of all Elder Scrolls games, and arguably it works for the setting. If nothing else, it's Bethesda's universe and they can do whatever they want with it. Thing is they've done a better job in the past writing for that kind of premise (mind you I'm not saying it's necessarily GOOD, just better in comparison to FO4. Which is a fucking low bar).

Fuck, you could argue the Emperor is just messing with you with the whole "saw you in my dreams" bit in order to get through your jail cell without disruption.

But bottom line - when it comes to Fallout and what Fallout is about, Bethesda shit the bed. With the premise AND the execution of said premise.
>>
File: 1444470460091.jpg (19 KB, 201x247) Image search: [Google]
1444470460091.jpg
19 KB, 201x247
How can people honestly give this game perfect 10 scores like some gaming ''journalists'' been doing? this is ridiculous, this game is full of flaws.
>>
>>316472270
Yes, true, they made so many fuck ups, like mum knowing how to use a power armor and how to live in a military environment like the BoS.

They could have fixed so much with small things, like Preston telling you how to use a Power Armor and the male MC saying you know it from military and the female getting a small explanation.

And they could have fixed the BoS with a single small boot camp quest when you join the Prydwen as an initiate.
And not the Knight promotion for doing fuck-all.
>>
>>316470385
>Instead of Karma and Reputation, the game now has an intricate companion relationship system, with allies who will react depending on your interaction with the game world
>Have Preston with me
>Open fire on a load of Minutemen
>He helps me kill them
>Attack the settlers the Minutemen were defending
>He helps me kill them
>Pickpocket from a raider
>"Preston dislikes this"
>>
>>316472702
Solution: don't play with companions, you fucking scrub
>>
>>316470385
Should have skipped the fuel station, I remembered it from the teaser
>>
>>316472798
I just wanted some kind of feature in my game, fuck.

It's literally Wolfenstein with worse combat and writing.
>>
>>316472702
preston doesnt like you keeping all the gibedats for yourself
>>
>>316472702
That's blatantly false tho
Killing people that your companion is allied with gives you a little message saying "x hated that"
>>
>>316471141
Fallout New Vegas
>>
>>316467843

>try to roleplay as independent don't need no man autismo who only loves his dog
>somehow need 3 charisma for the least charismatic perk; lone wanderer
>BoS
>D'you wanna join
>NO
>ok you know where to find us when you change your mind ;)
>>
>>316472798

>solution: turn a blind eye to shitty game design

what you're saying
>>
>>316467856

>FO3
You couldn't really rp there either
>NV
Ofcourse I RP. Why play RPG if you're not gonna RP?

Jesus man stop projecting.
>>
>>316473276
>ok you know where to find us when you change your mind ;)

Plot twist: It's cause Danse is full homo/full straighto for you, not even kidding, the further you play with him and the more reputation you get the more he tells you about his feelings for you.

He literally boosts your BoS carriere cause he has a crush on you.
>>
I'm unsatisfied with the dialogue wheel as well but people don't give this game enough credit for some things.. I've played through the beginning 3 times now and all of my conversations have been pretty different each time. That's a pretty big deal IMO. Peoples answers definitely change depending on how you treat them.
>>
>>316471141

Divinity; Original Sin
>>
>>316473276

But Anon, anything else would mean that the player's choices might - gasp - lock them out of some content.

And that might mean the instant gratification craving kids that are the target audience may not get their trophy.

And everybody gets a trophy these days.
>>
File: 1374413749577.jpg (19 KB, 491x404) Image search: [Google]
1374413749577.jpg
19 KB, 491x404
>>316472702
>mfw Codsworth got analblasted with me for giving Jet to that pothead granny

But why? this makes no fucking sense
>>
File: 1366738217537.gif (1 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1366738217537.gif
1 MB, 250x188
>>316471204
WOOOOO
800 HOURS ON MOUNT AND BLADE
I NEVER WANT THE RIDE TO STOP
>>
Can someone explain the difference between a save and quick save? If the game crashes can I load a quick save?
>>
>>316467596
I'm not sure, and I even managed to role play in MGSV (which inevitably led to my belief that MGSV is above and beyond GOTY.)
>>
What's the cringiest line of dialogue you guys have seen so far? For me it was

>Preston tells me about the hardships him and his group have faced
>I tell him I'm sorry to hear about that
>"Wow. It's nice to finally meet someone who actually cares"
>Met him 30 seconds ago

uhhhhhhhh
>>
>>316473752
You can only have one quicksave, where as you can have multiple saves, so everytime you quicksave you overwrite the old one

That's literally it, you can load quicksaves from the main menu like regular ones
>>
>>316473883

I die inside a little whenever that old lady calls me Kid due how terrible the voice acting is
>>
>>316473954
>tfw you can't actually kill her because she is "crucial" to the storyline
>>
>>316469823
Well,what if I don't give a shit about him? A whole new world just opened before my eyes,with completely new powers at play(from PC's perspective),new fauna,new economy,new dangers,everything. But his reactions to the entire world are "Yah,alright,my son though,need to get him fast"
>>
>>316471141
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>316471264
>he self-inserts to RPGs

Worst player.
>>
>Far Cry 3 was "Skyrim with guns"
>FO4 actually is Far Cry 3
>>
>>316474184
Its almost like a man might feel some sort of desperate crushing need to find out what happened to his only child and take some sort of revenge for the death of his wife
>>
Its 2015, roleplaying is for fags
Us true gamers just want to have some fun without pretending to be someone else
>>
File: Beautiful_chocolate.jpg (165 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful_chocolate.jpg
165 KB, 920x920
>>316473930
Thank you. Upboat.
>>
It's an FPS action adventure game with exp tacked on. Why did you expect any roleplaying?
>>
wait

there's no repairing equipment in this game?
>>
>>316467596
One does not simple roleplay in le Faggout 4.

>le ebin maymay xDDD
>>
>>316471093
As far as I'm concerned, fuck synths. Humans have a hard enough time as it is, why should they give a fuck about these stupid robots?
>>
>>316467856

Most recently Ive been playing New Vegas while roleplaying Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty.

Addicted to whiskey and gin with 9 intelligence and a focus on science and energy weapons
>>
>>316467596
you can't role play in a mass effect game OP, you can try but it wont work, as long as you have a voiced protag and limited speech it'll never happen
>>
>>316471093
They are exactly what you think about them. Good and bad are words you can define for yourself in the sense that the universe does not concern itself with these human made concepts which in fct only concern human interrelationships.
>>
>>316474769

Are you okay anon? You seem confused.
>>
>>
>>316474742
Only power armor. I think gun jams are still in though, I got one randomly while using the hunting rifle.
>>
>>316474742
nope, there's no durability on items, you do need to repair power armor, it's incredibly cheap though
>>
Why is everyone spoiling the ending of FO4 anyway? Do people actually give a single fuck about the story?
>>
File: Untitled.png (23 KB, 502x256) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23 KB, 502x256
>>316467596
I don't know I haven't even managed to open in yet
>>
>>316473523
Wait isn't Dance a man? eew
>>
>>316474435
Maybe he does,maybe he doesn't. Maybe my male PC doesn't really like his wife and kid,and feels roped into the marriage even before the war,but doesn't speak up because things are fucked up enough with everything that's been going on before the Great War. Maybe he's would actually be completely indifferent or even happy when his wife gets murdered. Maybe I want to play the cuntiest cunt on planet Earth,whom even raiders don't consider an equal and try to kill on sight as a ghoul in human skin.
The fucking problem is this and any other possible character traits that you,while 'role'-playing,can tack onto your character(maybe not reflected in-game in dialogs,but at least reflected in your actions) are unavailable for you,you are a do-gooder military man,helping everyone around because he is so gosh-darn good and a true american hero,and there's jackshit you can do about that.
>>
File: machiavelli.jpg (18 KB, 312x393) Image search: [Google]
machiavelli.jpg
18 KB, 312x393
>>316474984
I dont even know what im doing anymore and when im ironic and when im not. Im unsure about what I really like anymore in life, control over what I do and how I do it has been seeping out of me the last years since I understood most of life is just a mere illusion and that we are simple sacks of flesh being pulled everywhere by our inherent desires for irrational things.
>>
>>316474963
That director namefag,is that you again? Your universe bullshit was cringy enough in the last thread.
>>
>>316467596
Join the BoS OR the Minutemen OR the Enclave.
>>
>>316475360

So many possibilities there its overwhelming.
>>
>>316474776
fuck you faggot synth are literately the perfect race, only an idiot would not like them
>>
>>316467596
You download the "Shut the fuck up protagonist" mod that is already on the Fallout 4 Nexus. That is how.
>>
>>316471141
The Age of Decadence
>>
>>316468267
>First impulse
Good idea, thanks anon.
>>
>>316475310
No that wasnt me I dont know what you are talking about.

The concepts of good and bad are pretty much subjectivley interpretable.
>>
>>316475460
Doesn't really get rid of the shit dialogue itself,though. Just leaves an uncomfortable silence,which admittedly is better that the VO.
>>
Can you play as a 1 intelligence idiot moron with special dialog?
>>
>>316475460
thats one hell of an edgy name for a mod tho baka desu senpai
>>
>>316475621
That's the default regardless of your INT
>>
>>316475621
No this is not possible.

They have actually dumbed down FO4 so much that almost all conversations seem to be between two retards if that helps you.
>>
>>316475621
You already are my friend, you already are.
>>
Only a few hours in, but this is what immediately irritated me.

>Meet the minutemen
>Tell the black dude my son has been kidnapped
>"Oh man I'm sorry that happened, that sucks"
>Later we get to sanctuary
>Say I'm from the past, vault, etc
>He asks if anyone else was there with me
>My son, who was kidnapped
>"Oh man I'm sorry that happened, that sucks"

What? They didn't even bother implementing a basic memory into NPCs? Immediately pisses me off, can't even fucking carry anything resembling a conversation, because all NPCs are goldfish who forget everything and can't die
>>
>>316471204
Gotta love it when King Harlaus calls a feast in the middle of a siege.
>>
>>316467645
are modding tools out
>>
You are playing a role.

His
>>
File: NNCW0[1].jpg (119 KB, 768x480) Image search: [Google]
NNCW0[1].jpg
119 KB, 768x480
Can you have anything close to pacifist play-through? Because even in Fo3 you could do it with like 1-2 creatures and 0 human kills on your personal score Granted it was boring with lots of sneaking and running away, but it was possible.
>>
How the hell do i know if a certain article of clothing can be modded? The ones that allow for layered armor i mean. So far i can only use the vault suit, and nothing else allows me to mod it in the armor stations like the minuteman suit that works with all the layered stuff.
>>
>>316476143
Maybe. You can skip getting the first set of power armor and just head straight for Diamond City if you know where it is, but that's basically as far as I've gotten. With how much they try to railroad you into action scenes, its probably not possible.
>>
>>316475843
you have autism friend
>>
>>316467878
In the quest where you get the shishkebab where you fight that forged boss you have to try and talk the kid intobeing good i failed the convince with a 6 char then died. When i went back I used sarcasm and the kid became good but thats the only time ive used it
>>
>>316467596
I roleplay as a man who was frozen in a cryo chamber and witnessing his wife get murdered and his son kidnapped.
Pretty good so far.
>>
>>316476425
Not possible period. About halfway through the main story there is a section where you get locked in until you kill everything in the area,and considering the piss poor companion AI and the fact that enemies ALWAYS prioritize you as a target(even stealth boy doesn't help),there is practically no way to survive that. Unless you have about 60000 caps worth of healing items and a power armor to just tank at let your companions kill everything.
And even if you make an exception and kill them,it's not like 1 or 2 enemies,it's about 15 of them.
>>
>>316475786
Truely a game meant for the lowest denominator in society.

Just look at how it went from FO1 to FO4.

FO 5 is probably going to be made as a game certified to be playable in kider garten as edutainment.
>>
>>316476703
Max Charisma and get the perks for controlling other characters (humans, creatures, animals) then just make them all kill each other.
>>
>>316476874
>>316476703
How is controlling them or having your companions kill them any different from just killing them yourself? I'd hardly call that pacifism.
>>
File: clap2.gif (300 KB, 185x164) Image search: [Google]
clap2.gif
300 KB, 185x164
>>316476874
>beth idea of non violent character - make people kill each other
>>
>>316467596
You can't because the voiced protagonist and shitty dialogue wheel ruins it.
>>
>>316476874
Does it work on robots? Because the enemies are robots.
And I know this technically isn't an issue,but since the pacifist run is a purely artificial run just for the challenge and the idea of resolving conflict without killing,wouldn't killing by proxy ruin the run?
>>
Anybody found a katana? I want to make an edgy retard character. Either that or a boxer, but I can't find the code for Boxing Gloves on any resource site.
>>
>>316477075
There's a way to hack robots and make them friendly, a perk in the INT tree I believe.
>>
>>316477075
In my book, killing robots don't count.

Still pretty pacifist to me desu
>>
>>316477037
Well, otherwise all the epic cinematographic action setpieces they made would go to waste
>>
>>316477075
Science perk that allows you to disable and/or self-destruct robots.

>>316477037
>>316477029
I know but I'm trying my best here.
>>
>>316467596
you don't. You want roleplaying, go play New Vegas. This is a different kind of game. Time to get over that, kiddo.
>>
It's still the best game Beth has made since Morrowind.
>>
>>316477062

yeah this

In NV the dialogue was half of the fun

in FO4 the dialogue kills all the fun
you just want to get through it so you can get back to the other parts of the game
>>
>>316471689
yeah but you actually are the chosen one
for a universe to be immersive it has to follow it's own rules
imagine if the elder scrolls lore was "magic is only usable by a select few and requires training to master" then you start out as a peasant on a farm with a husband and kids when you get attacked by da ebool skeletons luckily the empire has paradropped in a care package with a wizard staff and platemail for you to use , but it's behind a novice lock and none of the elite legionary marines can open it , so they turn to you , an inbred farmers wife to open it and destroy the skeleton army , you quickly pick the lock and unleash your magical fireball staff on them destroying many of the skeletons victory is yours
BUT OH NO WHATS HAPPENING
a vile deadric prince has just joined the frey and charges at you, you engage in an epic battle of backpedaling and holding the left mouse button while he slowly dies
victory is yours random peasant we hereby promote you to general of the imperial marines
>>
>TES 6 will have the exact same dialogue wheel
>TES 6 will have the same voiced protagonist for all races
>>
What are some good ways to level up? I want to max out shit without doing quests so I dont lose out on any options, but that seems impossible.
>>
>>316477248
I wouldn't have been so convinced if not for your reasoning
>>
>>316477531
>Argonian speaking in a generic American accent
That'd be hilarious to see.
>>
>>316477531
>Orcs with the exact same voice and lines as elves
fucking kill me
>>
>>316467596
You're not allowed. Bethesda doesn't like it when players think creatively.
>>
>>316467596
I feel like this game was made to fill a niche that they havent made games before, the normie who never got into roleplay. I keep seeing people talk about how much they love having a VA because it brings them into the story more and I kind of realized normies just never knew how to really immerse themselves in a game and thats why they dont like rollplaying. So yes it's very bland and tracked rollplay for us but it's kind of opening up roll playing to normies. Plus the combat is so much better than previous installments.

I think this could go 1 of 2 ways. Either future installments will continue being normiefide or they might grow on rpg elements from here on out to introduce a new style of role playing to the masses that don't understand how to role play.
>>
>Bethesda spent all this time and money on the new dialogue system
>all it did was make the game worse

the definition of waste
>>
>>316477645
>implying Argonian and Kajiit won't be removed because little kids can't self insert into some non-human looking race and because they think they look 'gay'
>>
>>316477104
Get the shishkebab
>>
>>316477601
what?
>>
>>316477762
I dunno, they'd lose the furry crowd then.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a good chunk of their fanbase.
>>
>>316468403

I know you get at least one "no" option in the game, because I took it. It's in the begining when the black minuteman guy asks you to help the group and get the power armour up and running and kill the bandits.

And lo and behold, when you select "Not gonna do it", he shittalks you and without any response from your character(!) you just get the quest to get the fusion core and activate the PA anyways. BRAVO BETHESDA
>>
Another thing mods will hopefully fix.
>>
>>316477776
>not being able to understand this
no wonder you think fallout 4 is good
>>
>>316477775
Wheres the Shishkebab?
>>
How do you roleplay in the NV if you don't want to play as retard who wasted his time working as courier?
>>
>>316477921
I never said Fallout 4 was good. I think you need to go back to reading class, friendo.
>>
>>316467767
I dont mind only having 4 conversation choices, I just want to be able to see what my character is going to say in full, instead of a 1 word summary.

Hate streamlining.
>>
>>316476703
My companions are always targeted first what are you talking about. I have tons of vids of goul swarms going after my dog and me just molotoving them
>>
>>316470247
>I mean in 4 your backstory is only that you are a veteran and that you have a wife and son - in 3 your entire prior life was set in stone.
These are the same things m8.
>>
>>316477942
Do the forged quest top right corner area of map i think. This might be the only real spoiler ive ever spoilered
>>
>>316468719

brainthing = eruption
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.