[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Xenoblade Chronicles worth playing if you're not a fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4
File: ku-bigpic.png (877 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
ku-bigpic.png
877 KB, 970x546
Is Xenoblade Chronicles worth playing if you're not a fan of JRPGs/games with RPG-like combat? I keep hearing a lot of hype for the sequel, and there's some cool stuff mentioned (mecha, guns etc) but gameplay videos have left me cold.

Is it worth picking up a Wii for?
>>
>>315765457
emulate it. It's a good game with a fantastic soundtrack and shit story and characters.
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>315765457
you can play it on 3ds and wii u
>>
>>315766034

I don't think I have a PC strong enough to emulate it.
>>
>>315766178
Do you have a Wii U? I don't think only one game is worth buying a console for
>>
>>315766045

You know what, I completely forgot about the fact WiiU can play Wii games. Christ.

Maybe I'll pick it up cheap and try it. Does the combat require a lot of thought or can I bash my way through encounters?
>>
I bought my Wii for 35$ some time ago, if you're lucky enough you can find one for less, maybe a functional one with a non working disc for like 5$, you can easily use HBC on it and play what do you want. Since Wii is the cheapest console that you may find I would say give it a try, game is pretty great and I'm not a fan of JRPG myself.
>>
What is RPG-like combat? I hate turn based, SRPGs and Tales gameplay, and really liked Xenoblade's. Though I'm also a WoW veteran, so I'm not scared by the whole offline MMO meme.
If you can't emulate it, well, I would never tell you to buy a console for a single game. No matter how good it is
>>
>>315766832
the new one is an online mmo xD
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 960x640
Sure go play it. It's been one of my favorite games I've played recently and recommend it heartily but it's not worth getting a console just for it though. Like others said, you can play it on Wii U and 3DS so go with that.
>>
>>315766345
Some of the arts require you to stand either behind or to the side of an enemy for extra damage or effects. And some require you to chain a few arts to stun an enemy but it's not very complicated at all. I wouldn't say it's something you can just blindly button mash but it doesn't require a lot of effort.
>>
>>315766832

By that, I mean that your actions are largely disconnected from your button pressing. I can't stand most games where you pick actions from a menu or list of macros. Never enjoyed any MMOs for that reason.
>>
>>315766345
I wouldn't say you can bash through them. When I get lost in thought, I either get destroyed or almost die.
I also had a lot of trouble halfway through the game, but that was because I unintentionaly skipped a lot of stuff so I was very underleved
>>
>>315766345
It's possible to just make your way through most of the game with just brute force, but you won't be getting the most out of the game. There's a lot of customization and depth below the surface. If you want to play it just to beat it, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>315767524
Well it's not like your actions are totally disconnected. Even while Shulk(or whoever you're controlling) is auto-attacking or whatever, you should still be ordering around your two allies and positioning them to maximize their attack output(e.g. getting your tank to draw the enemy's attention so you can position Shulk behind him for the backslash).
>>
>>315765457
It's closer to MMORPGs than traditional RPGs
>>
no, just play it on dolphin. no console is worth it for one game.
>>
>will I like a JRPG if I fucking hate JRPGs?
>>
>>315765457
>doesn't like JRPGs
>asks if they should play one
I dunno sempai
>>
>>315768353
I dont like JRPGs one bit and love Xenoblade. It doesn't feel like one at all
>>
>>315766178
If you have a Wii you can just softmod it and get USB Loader GX.
>>
>>315768360
>>315768353

Well, people keep recommending the game. I've played previous JRPGs that I've enjoyed, like Nier, Dragon's Dogma, Dragon's Crown and the Souls games.

I guess there's just an image in my head of typical JRPG that's basically every Final Fantasy game rolled into one, and that's what I dislike.
>>
>>315765457
Starts off alright but by the time the girl revives its pretty bland and you still have 10-20 hours even after that. Ending was garbage.
>>
>>315765457

XC is one of my fave games with fantastic music and hands down one of the best game worlds in vidya.

But I'm not gonna sit here and tell you to play a game in a genre you don't like with combat you've said you hate.

Your move.
>>
>>315768716
that's because its a f2p mmo
>>
>>315768943
He's talking about gameplay, not pointless story. Also you have shit taste
>>
>>315769030
the best kinda f2p

the one with no cash shop =]
>>
>>315766034
It's a good game with shit gamplay and fantastic story and soundtrack.
>>
>>315769090
Anyone who gives the game over a 7/10 has shit taste anon.
>>
For the first few hours the atrocious voice acting will piss you off but by the end of it you'll fucking love every line
>>
>>315769140
>>315766034
It's a good game with good gameplay and story
>>
>>315769285
>good gameplay and story
where do you fags even come from? It's like the people in these threads have never played an rpg before and suck it's mediocre repetitive gameplay and cliche as fuck one note characters dicks.
>>
>>315769508
Haha Opinions
>RPGs
>Varied gameplay
>>
>>315769775

There's a lot of RPGs with unique gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>315770005
>Unique means non-repetitive
I don't know if you just don't know the words you speak or just dumb
>>
>>315769775
There is a difference between opinions where a character you may not like actually develops and becomes a better character and then there are characters like in xenoblade where the only thing that changes is who wants to fuck who. Reyn with the brown chick, shulk with the robot bitch (who literally ruins any emotions she might of caused when she died because they brought her back for no reason, and melia who after being fucked over by the robot gets her hand. None of the characters really grow at all and have their motivations portrayed in the beginning and stay the same all the way through.
>>
>>315770123

I was referring to your post specifically, not the one you were responding to.

I should've read it first but still, most games no matter the genre get repetitive if they last too long. In XB's case the gameplay was bad from the start.
>>
>>315770394
You are still just talking about story. Actually not really, just characters, and you dont like the characters because they don't grow, as if good characters need that
>>
>>315770714
Yes good characters DO need that anon and anyone who claims the gameplay is good is trolling since it consists of the same sequences for each character aside from the one or two heal moves and thr Monaco abilities. So you master what 7 combos in an 80 hour rpg? good job!
>>
>>315765457
Yes. I'm exactly what you said. The closest I ever got to an RPG was Borderlands. Xenoblade is giving me a fucking blast. Go play it.
>>
>>315767524
You won't like Xenoblade then
>>
>>315765457
>is this jrpg worth playing if you don't like jrpgs

I don't know son. Are penises worth sucking if you don't like sucking penises?
>>
OP here, I just checked online. What the hell, why are copies of this so expensive? It's years old and for an older system!

>>315768113

Eh, I've never been fond of ordering others around, strategy games and the like aren't my bag. I don't pretend to be smart enough to know good tactics or strategies, I much prefer it when AI buddies are competent enough to do their own thing so I can concentrate on the fun bit, the actual fighting.
>>
>>315772336
Ordering isn't hard but the ai is pretty garbage and you will need to focus on them. For example if you use Melia you are forced to play as her because the ai will do literally nothing.
>>
>>315772097

Read >>315768816

Maybe I should have been more clear in my post, I know not all JRPGs are the same. I tend to lump games of a similar style (lots of menus, no actual proper combat) into 'JRPG' probably unfairly.
>>
>>315772508
Do yourself a favor and realize jrpg is not a genre.
Then do yourself a second favor and just play the fucking games to decide if you like them.

Even saying FF-like games is stupid, since only about half the FF games are super alike and even among that one series there's tons of people who love certain games and hate other ones
>>
Has anyone got or seen footage of the late/end game with the HD texture packs?

Every goddamn time some fag posts Gaur Plains, /v/ blows their load, and nothing else gets posted
>>
File: Dolphin 2015-05-10 21-36-01-38.jpg (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin 2015-05-10 21-36-01-38.jpg
433 KB, 1920x1080
>>315772681
>with the HD texture packs

Don't bother, they fucked up with those eventually. It's only worth getting the HD UI if anything at all. And most people don't post later areas to try and avoid spoilers I imagine.
>>
>>315772957
>And most people don't post later areas to try and avoid spoilers I imagine.
It's because the HD textures only go as far as the Ether Mines
>>
It's one of my favourites, I recommend giving it a shot
>>
File: 1446065895961.jpg (51 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1446065895961.jpg
51 KB, 540x960
It's very good, you should definitely try it. Just be careful of spoilers, cause any little spoiler could probably ruin the game's story for you
>>
>>315773735
I was spoiled to death and I still enjoyed it a lot.
>>
>>315773781
>I was spoiled to death

r u ok
>>
So /v/, I have the 3DS version. What's the difference between this one and the Wii version?
>>
>>315774091
Wii version looks like fresh dogshit. 3DS version looks like diarrhea.
>>
WiiU, gamepad off TV, enjoy
>>
>>315771058
The entire idea of character development as these critics want to see it is less realistic than what we get in most games, including this one. These people seemingly like to see people make massive changes for the better in their lives, and so they like to see radical changes in our movies and games as well.

The thing is, quite frankly, most people DON'T REALLY CHANGE THAT MUCH. The vast majority of us are the same basic person with the same basic character flaws and strengths at age 80 that we are at age 8. Sure, we mature and learn more, but we're still the same person. Most people who are quiet and intellectual stay that way. Most people who are outgoing and jokey stay that way. Major life events may change us somewhat, but it's not typically a huge change, just a maturation and learning of the way things are.

With this in mind, I think Xenoblade Chronicles does a very realistic job of character development. Why would we expect Riki to change radically due to the events of this game? He starts out as a hyper, child-like character whose appearance belies a hidden wisdom and discernment about people, and that's what he remains. This isn't "lack of character development," it's consistency and realism.
>>
>>315771058
>>315776150
Continuing with my comment:

As for characters who do change over the course of events, they may be subtle changes, but again that is realistic, anyone who thinks it should be more doesn't get it. Melia starts out as aloof and haughty because she grew up without friends; but as she makes friends with the party members over time, she warms to them yet still keeps that regal, refined nature because it's who she is. Reyn starts out as a bit of a goof and a screw-up, but events force him to take on responsibility and be more accountable; but that doesn't mean he should lose his wise-cracking, joking nature because again, it's who he is. As for Shulk, he obviously goes through the most change because of the events, maturing and becoming less "delicate" along the way as his responsibility as the sole true wielder of the Monado and seer of the future force him to grow up; but in the end the reason he still seems "brainy" and a little dense about basic interactions with people is because IT'S WHO HE IS.

People who criticize Xenoblade Chronicles' character development simply have outlandish expectations about the kind of changes and maturations that real people endure. I think this game balances change with consistency pretty much just right.
>>
>>315776241
I completely agree. I've always considered the importance of "character development" in stories to be overblown, as what actually matters is that characters act consistently and realistically. Not everyone has to learn a huge lesson and go though significant changes in their personality because of it.
>>
>>315776241
>>315776150
The Tales series beats you over the head with character development though. Sometimes it's well-executed (like the whole cast of Abyss, IMO), sometimes it falls flat and feels forced (Symphonia 2). I'm alright with more subtle stuff like Xenoblade.
>>
I agree
>>
Eh, honestly if you don't like the combat or it doesn't seem to appeal to you from videos I wouldn't go for it.
>>
Retail copies of xenoblade are ridicilously expensive because its rare. Get a cheap wii and softmod it. Its easy as hell, there are tons of detailed tutorials online and itll only take you an hour to do. I am absolutely computer illiterate but i was able to softmod my wii using the letterbomb method so I recommend that.
>>
Okay, it's available digitally for £18 so I'll just get that version. That's an okay price I guess.
>>
>>315777162
Xenoblade combat is boring as fuck to watch.
When you're actually playing it it can get really intense and immersive especially during those hard ass fights.
>>
>>315777327
Is there any RPG combat that doesn't look boring on some level?
>>
>>315777327

Here's my question though, would you also call the combat in a final fantasy game or something turn based intense?
>>
>>315777568
No because you can take as long as you want during your turn.
In Xenoblade everything is real time, so you have to decide on what you're going to do quick or eat a ton of damage.
>>
>>315765457
>buying games
Sure is reddit in here.......
>>
>>315777551
Dragon's Dogma?

Still, I've never had any problems with Xenoblade's combat except for AoEs having ranges so absurdly large that they hit you way outside of their animation and you basically have to disengage enemies completely in order to avoid them. It looks retarded.
>>
>>315778350

OP here, Dragon's Dogma is the shit, THE SHIT. If I had a good PC I'd get it again so I could play it through with nicer frame rate and better graphics. The combat system in that blows other RPGs out of the water, it just has the right 'feel' to it. Smacking goblins in the face with a sword never felt better.

It's so good that I can even play as a magic-using class in that game, and it doesn't feel like floaty bullshit like other games have.

Is XBC anything like that game?
>>
>>315772457

The AI is only garbage for Melia, Sharla, and to an extent Shulk. Every other character has decent-great AI and enough tools to stay alive.
>>
>>315778710
No. Xenoblade is a very traditional JRPG. The combat is fine for what it is, with some flash and rewarding thoughtful approaches and decision-making, but it's very far from visceral.
>>
>>315778710
>Is XBC anything like that game?

Absolutely not. It takes the MMO-like combat and doesn't do anything to improve it. It's probably even worse than stuff like FF12 as you cannot properly control the AI partners.
>>
>>315779170
XC does everything FF12 does but better so let's not make the convo to that direction. The only thing that FF12 did better in combat was chaining same monster kill.
>>
>>315779041

Ah. I'll still try it, but I may not stick with it long then. I think you've nailed the right adjective there, I think I want or need my games to be somewhat visceral.

Mecha are a good example: I love the Armored Core games because they shove you right in the seat. I know that Front Mission games are supposed to be great, but I've tried 3 and gave up after the tutorial, nothing was sticking.

Is Xenoblade one of those games which takes a few hours to get to the good bit or is it fun right away?
>>
>>315780387
The latter, takes an hour or so to get going.

It's a JRPG. A very good JRPG. But if you don't like JRPGs, I doubt it's going to change anyone's mind.
>>
>>315780697

Alright. Well, I'll try it anyway, if I do enjoy it then I can also enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles X and that would be nice. If I don't I can whine on here and be called a faggot.
>>
>gameplay videos have left me cold

Skip it. A 90 hour JRPG is not worth it if you don't like the gameplay.

Alternatively, try emulating it, if the combat grows on you a couple hours in you can go for it, otherwise leave it alone and don't worry about it.
>>
>>315766034
I'm emulating it but I still get this occasional stutter.

It's really fucking annoying and I have the latest dolphin and I'm not even using the HD textures (which I already tried and stopped when I experienced that slight stutter).

Does anybody run this with smooth frame rate? My rig is definitely good enough, I'm overclocking a 4690k quite a bit, that can't be the problem. Has to be a settings thing or else it's just every version.
>>
>>315766345
>pick it up cheap
lol
>>
>>315783668
It's more like 30-40 hours if you don't do all the quests and post game.
>>
>>315783668

My PC is ten years old, it's not going to emulate a Wii. I'll just get it.
>>
BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
>>
>>315785808
We choose to act in a confrontational way
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.