[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your honest opinion on Steam refunds, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: steam refunds.png (258 KB, 604x535) Image search: [Google]
steam refunds.png
258 KB, 604x535
What's your honest opinion on Steam refunds, /v/?
>>
Obviously an alliance by Steam and triple-A game developers to drive indies out of the industry.
Some indie games can be beaten in two hours, so people could beat and return them. It's not fair. :/
>>
>>315634835
I think men shouldn't be able to refund games made by women or diverse developers
>>
>>315635042
I doubt they'll let you rerun a game you have an achievement of beating already. And if a game is that short it probably doesn't cost enough to be worth refunding
>>
File: press x.jpg (43 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
press x.jpg
43 KB, 460x215
>>315635228
>I doubt they'll let you refund a game you have an achievement of beating already.

I literally just refunded this game after beating it and getting two achievements that said I had beaten it, cu-ckboy.
>>
File: conan turns on his new monitor.gif (2 MB, 623x340) Image search: [Google]
conan turns on his new monitor.gif
2 MB, 623x340
>>315635042
"games are art and need gender sliders" indie dev pls go

>being a consumer
>not liking having more options
>not liking having to have some protection against publishers/devs trying to screw you over
>>
>>315635042
if a game only takes 2 hours to beat the first time you play it, it isn't worth money then.
>>
Beat Ground zeroes and returned it.
It's alright.
>>
>>315635541
>wanting to have more options
>supporting business practices which are ruinous to non-standard game developers
>not wanting those developers to have some protection against customers trying to screw them over

Not every game can be a sixty hour collect-a-thon. Sorry.
>>
A real life saver. I sperged out the other day and bought the same thing twice. Refunded both and decided I didn't even want one in the first place.
>>
>>315634835
Makes me pirate less.

It sucks having to play with a chronometer on hand though.
>>
>>315635595
>if a burger only takes 30 seconds to eat, it isn't worth your money then.
>>
>>315635785
>>not wanting those developers to have some protection against customers trying to screw them over

Holy shit. You have to be trolling.
>>
>>315636227
>/v/
>not being bad at analogies
>>
>>315634835
was about time they added a refund system
>>
>>315636227
That's correct, if a burger is the size of an egg, its not worth your money.

Why do you think McDonalds and Burger King try always to be big as fuck for the lowest price?
>>
>>315636227

>being this fucking dumb

Would you buy a book only half complete, or mostly blank pages? Or buy a full price movie ticket for a film that's only 5 minutes long? That's a better analogy.
>>
>>315636227
the burger provides me with more than just >30 seconds of taste pleasure.

the burger gives me energy, calories well needed to keep on gaymin' well worth the dollar i spent.

that indie piece of shit filthy fucking shit walking simulator game that provides me with 2 hours of barley amusing *(at times) entertainment is not worth $30 on the other hand

>BUT I NEED TO EAT TOOO
so does the burger guy and he sells me product for $1
>>
File: 1439291899010.jpg (99 KB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
1439291899010.jpg
99 KB, 540x300
I hate this thread, it's reposted daily.
>>
>>315636273
Developers deserve compensation for their work. You wouldn't eat an entire steak and then demand a refund, would you? You're scum if you would, and demanding a refund for a game you've beaten is really no different.
I can't see why a system which permits should even be legal.
>>
>>315636227
The burger took much more time and energy, cost and effort from cattle to my plate than it took

the shitty indiedev to make his 2 hour "game" in game maker for a quick buck.
>>
File: 1391679867882.gif (3 MB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1391679867882.gif
3 MB, 300x256
>>315635785
>wanting more options is somehow bad
>ruinous to "game developers" who made a 2 hour "retro-indie-pixelart-puzzle-platformer no 14156" in 2 hours
>sacrificing your own financial protection for a company/guy you've never seen

You were in indie game: the movie, weren't you?
>>
>>315636227
Have you ever been so fat that when you look at video games you see food?
>>
>>315636621
>Developers deserve compensation for their work
>deserve
No, they don't. Developers have to earn money, just like any other job on the planet.
>>
>>315636227
This is the most retarded analogy I have ever seen holy shit.
>>
>>315637036
I've honestly never seen a not retarded analogy on /v/. It feels like a meme.
>>
so what about those faggots who put up early access games and abandon them?

the people shouldn't get refunds?

personally no, you paid for what you got at the time. the promises dont mean shit. ever. but fuck devs.
>>
How many times do we have to discuss this topic?

Consumer rights are a good thing. Just look at Arkham Knight for your example for why steam refunds should exist.

If indies are that concerned about their bottom line, they need to realize that the value of having their game greenlit on steam far surpasses what sales they may lose due to refunds.
>>
>>315636695
I mean to say that if you want more options, you should not support business practices which punish the developers who offer them.

>>315636958
And they have. The game is their product. In pretty much any economic system, you compensate a person whose product you have taken. People who don't are called thieves.
>>
Love it.

I took a chance on a game for 10 bucks, didn't like it and got my money back.
>>
Anything that takes care of lazy indie devs is alright in my book
>>
>>315637330
>And they have. The game is their product.
Step 1) Make a good product
Step 2) Earn money

Or

Step 1) Make a shit product
Step 2) Go bankruptcy for failing to adapt at the market
>>
>>315637330
>using the piracy argument on refunds
You don't "take" the product. You say fuck you your product sucks, it gets removed from your account and you get refunded. Like it is with physical items.
>/v/
>still being shit at analogies
Ebinly meme'd m'gentlesire xdddd
>>
>>315636553

Probably the worst false equivalence I've read on /v/. Congrats m8
>>
>>315634835
It helps stop scammers like you, OP.
>>
I think it's a good system that people abuse.

the entire point of refunds is returning a game because of technical issues, not because you didnt like the game.
>>
>>315637467
That's pretty much it, if you make shit and expect to get away with it, I'm gonna refund it. If you actually put effort and make something pretty good, I'll gladly let you keep my money.
>>
>>315637603
>not knowing how refunds work in real life
Leave the basement once in a while, and try to act like people.
>>
File: ShitpostingTime.webm (3 MB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
ShitpostingTime.webm
3 MB, 640x350
>>315636227
>>
I buy shovelware just so I can refund it after an hour as a statement.
The dev may not acknowledge my review calling it shit, but they'll have to see me in their statistics.
>>
>>315637672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEtYyGCC0A
>>
>>315637467
Step 1) Make informed purchases
Step 2) Save money

>>315637506
But it's not a physical item. It's media. You don't lose anything by having beaten and "returned" it, but the developer does.
Would you argue that movie theaters should give you your money back if you decide that the ending of the movie was unsatisfactory?
>>
>>315637603
Go outside dweller.
>>
File: 1445189222566.gif (797 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1445189222566.gif
797 KB, 500x281
>>315634835

I hate them. They prevent pink haired pretentious cunt devs from ripping retards off.
>>
>>315637809
>Step 1) Make informed purchases
>Step 2) Save money
That's not how the real world works.
>>
>>315635042
>:/
Get the fuck out reddit
>>
>>315635042
>Some indie games can be beaten in two hours,

then stop making "oh i make a game, it'll be 2 hours long but i'll be rich like super meat boy devs, yeeey" games.
>>
>>315637718
>having that much free time
Must be neet
>>
>>315637809
There isn't a "should" though. Don't want to deal with how Steam works as a Dev? Don't work with Steam then. And watching a movie is not the same as buying the license to a product (which Steam basically is). Another great 10/10 analogy.

And finally, Google offers movie refunds.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2479637?hl=en
You don't see any movie people bitch about this. And lots of physical movie places do offer ticket refunds if you didn't feel like the movie was satisfactory. Try going outside once in your life.
>>
>>315636227
Why yes, if a burger is small, poorly made, or leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I'll probably want some sort of conpensation for my time and money.

A lot of food stores also let you sample some of their options before you choose.

And unlike food stores, there's no generous person who figured out your recipe and decided to give those burgers out for free.
>>
>>315637541
its not about equivalence. its about monetary value.

market value says a dollar burger is well worth price.

market value says a shitwalksimulator for $30 is not worth the price so people decide to refund.

indie dev needs to lower prices according to market value or get fucked.
>>
>>315636227
How do you even eat a burger in 30 seconds.

Even the McDonalds £1 cheeseburgers which are fairly small take me at least a minute or more to eat.
>>
>>315638246

Please stop using food analogies, theyre retarded.

"The market" also pays millions of dollars for things that are tehcnically worthless, like diamonds.
>>
>>315637718
This.

I buy games just to refund them and make the devs sad and mad.
>>
>>315634835
Took them a long time to implement, it's a great feature.
>>
>all these posts hating Steam Refund system
>indie games will get scammed out of their money by people who wanted to get the game for free
If the system wasn't there these people would have just pirated the game anyways and you'd still be scammed
>b-but it encourages scamming because it's an official exploit
Its really not as intrusive as a Valve pop-up saying "You've played this shifty game for 1 hour and 55 minutes, would you like to be refunded?" Thus the only people who are going to be "made" scammers are probably pretty curious about scamming to begin with, and could just as easily discovered pirating before the Refund System

All that aside, we already have examples of people fucking over AAA publishers for releasing shoddy products with this system
Its already paid for itself and then some
>>
>>315639247
>>all these posts hating Steam Refund system
It's the same guy. OP makes this thread everyday and makes the same posts everytime. Why do you think he gets blown the fuck out everytime he makes a post?
>>
Oh look it's this thread again
>>
So is the window for refunding a game two hours of ownership or two hours of playtime?
>>
>>315639491
TWO HOURS OF PLAY TIME

Goddamn nigger
>>
>>315639386
the russian net-trolls need to get their training from somewhere,,

>Ivan; cut or uncut
>Boris; steam refund
>Artyon; meat is for fags
>>
>>315638171
>https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2479637?hl=en
>"There's a return period for Google Play movies and TV content as long as you haven't started watching it yet."

>as long as you haven't started watching it yet.

But yeah, if you can walk out of a theater and demand a refund because a movie is garbage then I think we should be able to do the same with games.
>>
>>315637718
Jim Sterling please leave /v/
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.