[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Constant arguments and shitposting about Fallout 4 >Nobody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: Shadowmoor4.jpg (155 KB, 640x552) Image search: [Google]
Shadowmoor4.jpg
155 KB, 640x552
>Constant arguments and shitposting about Fallout 4
>Nobody discussing Wasteland 2 Director's Cut or Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Truly this board is awash in children and casuals. Let's try to have a CRPG thread.
>>
File: Thaos.png (130 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Thaos.png
130 KB, 210x330
No Pillars of Eternity love? I like that game way more than Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin.
>>
How was Shadowrun: Hong Kong?
>>
>arguments about new games
>no arguments about the re-release of old games

Keep fucking yourself in anger.
>>
>>315369997
The best RPG I've played in years was without doubt Age of Decadence.
>>
I'm waiting for whatever the fuck'll come from Paradox buying White Wolf. Does cRPG only apply to isometric games? I've never really played any I don't think, though I have tried a few, like Fallout. Not really into D&D stuff so what are the best isometric cRPGs that aren't based on D&D? Most of the big ones are I'm pretty sure.

Age of Decadence sounds cool and I'll probably try it at some point.
>>
>>315371516
Age of Decadence can be really frustrating, so you might want to take a look at the demo first, but it's incredibly rich when it comes to content. When it comes to dialogue-based role playing I'd go as far to say that it even beats Torment. Maybe not in scale, or quality of writing (which is a bit of a subjective quality though) but at least in mechanics, frequency of checks, etc.
>>
>>315371516
It's great, and they keep adding content to it bit by bit over the next few months.
>>
>>315370682
Very similar to the other ones.
The story is roughly the same, but not as well written as Dragonfall, though better than the original campaign (I belong to the minority that also liked the latter).
You don't get many newyen, so prepare to be a jew the whole game or heavily underarmed at the end.
Some small system changes: I don't like the new matrix, but opinions vary. A new skill for cyberware that makes wired reflex very karma costly (if you have the money for it anyway).
Tons of bugs at launch.
It's a bit samy, but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>315369997
>playing D:OS EE
>fight pirate boss in cove
>HE STARTS TELEPORTING BARRELS ONTO MY PARTY
>>
>>315369997
Wasteland 2 was shit. Already finished original sin. Pillars of eternity was trainwreck. Shadowrun was bad.

I have no hope for crpg's or rpg's in general.
>>
>>315373136
What do you expect from RPGs?
>>
>>315373136
Pillars of Eternity was mediocre at worst and Shadowrun: Dragonfall wasn't bad either. The Age of Decadence was pretty great. I haven't had the time to look into Wasteland 2 yet. Divinity: OS was good too. I don't know what crazy sorts of expectations you have.
>>
underrail release when
>>
Damn, I just logged my Steam client and realized I got the Enhanced Edition for free. Based Larius.

I guess I'll do another playthrough to check out the new stuff, here's hoping it's something
>>
I'm going to buy Wasteland 2 Director's Cut for PS4 instead of Fallout 4.

Right choice? Does it translate okay to a controller?
>>
>>315375005
It's massively improved in most ways - it runs better, plays better, has a (mostly) better crafting interface, the economy is less breakable, the spells that totally broke the game are now much more reasonably balanced and have a fairer distribution between schools, Tactician mode is more difficult in more ways than just combat, and there's a wider variety of music for each area(which is usually good and is sometimes bad).
>>
>>315375008
>Right choice?
Yes
>Does it translate okay to a controller?
I'd say so.

>>315375827
New content and quests too. PLot and characters have even been reimagined
>>
>>315369997
What the fuck is Wasteland 2
>>
>>315375008

>wasteland 2

you're going to be disappointed anon
>>
>>315369997
>Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Just ordered this for PS4 for some couch coop this weekend. I never played the original one, what am I in for?
>>
>>315375957
>implied implications
It's a great game.
>>
>>315376039
Literally being able to do anything. Don't limit your thinking when in combat or outside of it. The game is great that way.

Also, life or death decisions hinging of rock paper scissors.
>>
>>315369997
there's been DOSEE thread everyday
>>
>>315374195
Pillars could have been SO much better.

It's like Obsidian took all the amazing ideas from their previous games but... it just comes off as hellishly awful or mediocre.
>MotB-tier plot, writing and characters
>IWD backgrounds
>IWD combat
>NWN2 Crossroad Keep
>FNV/Alpha Protocol reputation systems
Obsidian didn't even come close to the great ideas they previously came off with.

Pillars ended up making them lose Avellone, just months before the Vampire IP sell off which is going to be the time they need him most.

It also showcased how much of an incapable anal Celtic autismo Sawyer is during the whole Pillars development. How he developed FNV, I have no idea.
>>
Those are on my list but I've been playing the System Shock enhanced release. Did not age as poorly as I thought it would have. Christ those maps though.

LAYERS
>>
>>315376280
>Pillars ended up making them lose Avellone
As if writers donĀ“t regularly jump from one development to another..., and really, their work will usually be done ages before the game, so your claim that he left them on a bad note is preposterous.
>>
>>315376629
He was at Obsidian for over a decade. He wasn't JUST a writer, he was one of their designers as well. And he did leave on a sour note, he left because he hated all of his work getting neutered during Pillars.
>>
Did they fix the memory leaks with Wasteland 2 DC? Apparently you can't play the game for longer than an hour or two before shit just starts fucking up your game.
>>
>>315376629
>>315376835

Avellone was one of the founders of Obsidian, so it's not something he did lightly.
>>
>>315375827
>>315375905
Didn't check thread for a while.

When I did my first (and only) 100% playthrough, it was pretty much on the original release, no patches.

I ran double Lone Wolf as Warrior and Mage archetypes and loved it. Is it still good?
>>
Chris Avellone is the only good writer in the entire video games industry. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>315377543
Lone Wolf is still good by itself but it's incompatible with Glass Cannon in EE. Tactician mode will be harder because of the lower amount of net APs you have compared to a full party but it's still possible if you know the game well enough.
>>
>>315377326
Does it involve your graphics flipping out and everything turning purple? If so, I don't think so...
>>
File: fucking mortals.png (107 KB, 212x278) Image search: [Google]
fucking mortals.png
107 KB, 212x278
>>315372443
>(I belong to the minority that also liked the latter).

Are you me? I also liked DMS campaign because it was perfectly low key shadowrunning until they went full retard with the whole spirit bugs to ramp up the epic factor for mouth breathers.
>>
>>315376280
I think the problem was Obsidian played it really safe. Why? I don't know, maybe to maximize their audience or be certain they'll get the money they need considering they literally had bankruptcy marked on the calendar in case the kickstarter failed.
>>
>>315375827
I heard they made balance changes to melee. How did that work out? I never used a Man-at-Arms spec character because they were so weak...
>>
>>315370682
Great game. I enjoyed it even more than I did Dragonfall. The story struck more of a chord with me for some reason.
>>
>>315369997
Can't fight the hype. I do wonder how those two will get received on consoles, though.
>>
>>315369997
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut came out with game breaking bugs such as dismissed companions disappearing. I'd wait until they release another patch and fix this.

It's also badly optimized. It runs like ass on my computer when I turn on the shadows even though I could run Mad Max just fine.
They shouldn't have used a performance hog like Unity.

In general the game isn't anything special gameplay-wise. It feels like any early 00s crpg and in some regards it's actually quite backwards. It plays like a more clunky Shadowrun Returns. It sadly also leads to savescumming like crazy.

What really makes a difference is the setting and atmosphere, but you have to spend a while in the game so it grows on you. When the game is this clunky though it can be frustrating.

I really want to love this game but it's not making it easy for me.
>>
>>315369997
We had plenty of threads about divinity though
>>
>>315369997
div:os gets real old real fast desu, its also surprisingly buggy for an EE

>>315370457
honestly? all the non-stop shitposting about it is why I havent bought it yet
>>
>>315378190
A lot of the previously shitty attacks are no longer shitty because they use your physical damage at a decent ratio instead of very low flat damage that scales with STR, AP costs for physical skills went down almost across the board, Power Stance no longer costs you more AP and it gives you extra movement speed now, the 2H skill grants a larger critical hit chance and raises your critical hit damage instead of 10% damage per rank, and there's a larger variety of skills so that sword and board is also a viable choice instead of mediocre at best.
>>
>>315379105
>div:os gets real old real fast
I've put almost 400 hours into the game between the non-EE and the EE versions. Still not even close to getting old.
>>
>>315379491
Well there's always some autistic fuck to enjoy repetitive garbage, look at diablo or mmo
>>
>>315379636
Why the fuck are you playing RPGs if you don't like RPG gameplay?
>>
>>315379761
>RPG gameplay
>>
Did people like Shadowrun?

I got Dragonfall over the weekend as it was $3 and it's some fucking tedious shit.
So disappointed I uninstalled and got Wasteland2 and it's terrific by comparison, a big world you can actually explore and choices to make and nobody looks like they're from Tumblr.
>>
>>315379849
12 year old with ADD detected.
>>
>>315379875

I found Dragonfall the best of all the new Shadowrun games released.

If you thought DF was tedious, Hong Kong is downright unplayable.
>>
Why has this CRPG "resurrection" been so fucking disappointing?
>>
>>315379987
What the fuck were you expecting, twenty equivalents to Baldur's Gate 2 to come out?
>>
>>315377559
J.E Sawyer exists
>>
>>315379987
It hasn't. People just expected everything to be 10/10 GOTY material.
>>
I recently decided to try dual-booting Linux, then decided to check out how the game situation there truly is, and that's when I noticed Baldur's Gate 2 is fully playable, just as the other Infinity Engine games are.
Guess it's time to try playing through it again. The last run ended when the game basically started crashing when I tried to load any of my old saves for no reason at all. After about 100 hours of playing through it. I decided to take a break then.
>>
File: 1354352056117.gif (344 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1354352056117.gif
344 KB, 256x192
>>315380064
Don't even like Bladder's Gate, but I just expecting them to be near the same quality as the rpgs they constantly namedrop.
>>
>>315379491
well I got tired of it, because while the combat is very fun, everything else seems pretty weak, I am playing through EE co-op now and its a bit better, but overall I am already feeling a bit tired of it, so no idea what you did for 400 hours
>>
>>315380278
Oh, also, GemRB or Wine? I heard Wine actually works better than the open-source fork of the engine. Is it true, does anybody know?
Or do I just go for Enhanced Edition? I heard it's not very good, but not sure.
>>
>>315380064
Can't all be gold, but I'm sure you can find 1 or 2 things that entertain, unless you're just making edgy bait posts.

>>315379938
Yeah I wasn't particularly looking forward to it anyway, but I was just surprised because it seemed to have reviewed really well. Aside from being pretty and fairly polished it just didn't do much for me in the actual gameplay dept.
>>
>>315372443
Best thing about going SRR -> DF -> HK was seeing just how much better HBS got as a developer and at using their tools. Shame they have no interest in further Shadowrun games.
>>
>>315380284
>Don't even like Bladder's Gate
What fucking standard were you hoping for then? Just curious, which game was your favorite experience?
>>
>>315380284
I really have no idea what you're expecting out of RPGs. Most of the RPGs these games are callbacks to are extremely flawed in the first place.
>>
>>315380209
This, honestly. People are too harsh on the new ones. I mean there are people who will shit all over the virtues of Pillars or Shadowrun and then defend equally flawed games like Arcanum to the death.
>>
>>315380441
>Shame they have no interest in further Shadowrun games.

What makes you say that? Just the fact that they decided to make a different game? If it is that, I don't see the problem, I wouldn't want to be stuck making roughly the same thing over and over again either.
>>
>>315379886
But i told you i don't like Diablo which is pretty much ADD : the game
>>
>>315369997
>nobody's talking about re-releases of these 1 year old games
Okay, OP.
>>
>>315380329
>because while the X is very good/fun, everything else seems pretty weak,
You just described the majority of RPGs.
>>
>>315380880
And that make it acceptable somehow?
>>
>>315369997
Fuck, Lorwyn had such a great art direction, my favorite set ever i think
>>
>>315381317
Yes.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.