[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the best character in fighting game history? And I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11
File: Akuma_sf4.jpg (40 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
Akuma_sf4.jpg
40 KB, 600x594
Is he the best character in fighting game history? And I mean in terms of actual gameplay.

>started out as secret boss character inspired by joke in a magazine who became banned in all tournaments for how ridiculous he is
>has since remained consistently high in tier lists (not the best but close) across a number of games
>essentially the first character to truly showcase the Vortex, a technique so powerful that it would be nerfed in Ultra SFIV by delayed wakeup
>will most likely be a secret boss character in SFV too
>>
>>315349661
>Is he the best character in fighting game history?
No, but he is my favorite SF shoto.

I'd say Akuma, Bison, Robert Garcia, Takuma, and Blue Mary are among the best characters in fighter game history.
>>
File: gordeau-uniel-stance-animation.gif (122 KB, 294x419) Image search: [Google]
gordeau-uniel-stance-animation.gif
122 KB, 294x419
>>315349661
>And I mean in terms of actual gameplay.
Hard to say immediately. Let's have a small hypothetical session. This implies that both characters face each other as they are (as in they don't translate into one character's other game and such). Firstly, if Gordeau from Under Night In Birth and Akuma fought, who would hold the advantage?

We're not just strictly talking "who would win," but rather how their advantages and disadvantage compare. Gordeau lacks any kind of projectile and can probably get zoned out fairly simply by Akuma, but he does have a fair amount of reach and his normals do a lot of damage. With Akuma's low health, he might not be able to last long if he ever gets caught, but Akuma might be able to react and punish faster since some of Gordeau's moves have long recovery.
>>
>>315351126
But could they beat Madara Uchia?
>>
>>315349661
i really hope ono gets at least a surprise. every character since ken has been leaked and it really takes away from the character reveals
>>
>>315349661

Akuma will always be good due to his character archetype.

He's always got a ton of strong tools but low health. It's hard to make that bad.
>>
>>315351359
They should cancel all the leaked characters.

Save them for 2017
>>
File: fanime-31.jpg (36 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
fanime-31.jpg
36 KB, 375x500
No one knows how much kid-me creamed his pants when he got to the play the latest version of SFII and this badass Raging Demons his way onto the screen and kills the guy you previously thought was the biggest badass in the SF universe.

Also, that theme.
>>
I am sort of hoping for a secret Akuma reveal after beating Story Mode/Arcade/Whatever they have planned. I'm just really curious to see how they'd redesign him and what his tools woulde be. SFV is doing a really good job of giving moves a sense of impact, so Akuma should be a blast.
>>
I refuse to buy SFV until he is shown.
Hes been practically the only character I've played since alpha 3.
Do occasionally fuck around with fei long and gen though, with ibuki and oni getting added to that list in ssf4.
>>
File: 1415760791136.png (129 KB, 276x247) Image search: [Google]
1415760791136.png
129 KB, 276x247
>tfw oni will never come back
He just felt like a more fun Akuma to me. Haven't had a chance to try the beta yet, but I'll probably be playing Necalli to fill the void
>>
Akuma's not in V, he has no files anywhere
>>
>>315352659
Omega ONI was perfect especially doing a combo into airborne demon was sick af
>>
>MY FISTS BLEED DEATH

I've never liked Akuma, he's basically the personification of lazy balancing. He was designed to be ridiculously broken, so when they made him playable, the BIGGEST concession they made was making him more fragile than the rest of the cast. It's just stupid.

>Seth is too powerful? Fucking, make that fucker made out of glass!
>People think Sentinel and Phoenix are too strong? Just chopping off the ends of their lifebars ought to work.
>>
>>315355852
and it did
>>
>>315355852
God, that Sentinel nerf was so fucking bad. It did basically nothing to him, and yet I feel so angry about it.
>>
>>315356498
>it did basically nothing to him

are you serious? He went from being a front figher to being a support bitch

he isn't even used in ultimate
>>
File: image.png (105 KB, 200x283) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105 KB, 200x283
>>315352131
>Ken got fire tatsu
>Akuma gets his Lightning tatsu from spinoffs
>>
File: Sfxt-vega.jpg (115 KB, 950x1200) Image search: [Google]
Sfxt-vega.jpg
115 KB, 950x1200
>>315349661
He's not even the best fighter in Street Fighter
>>
>>315349661
i'm sad as fuck he isn't in the initial roster or first set of DLC characters, his play style is so much fun. he's kind of an obligatory character to add so surely he'll be DLC soon.
or a secret final boss
>>
File: 1446422351140.jpg (184 KB, 429x800) Image search: [Google]
1446422351140.jpg
184 KB, 429x800
Sakura is definitely the shoto that should be released before Akuma though.
>>
>vortex
>>
>>315358185
I don't want either.
>>
>>315358185
nah desu Deejay should be released before either of them
>>
>>315358418
I hate srk too
>>
he's only really good in the three mainline SF games.

and he's just good in 3S. not top tier or anything, just good.
>>
>>315350078
>Blue Mary over Terry and Rock.
I know, but...
>>
>>315359010
I think if we're talking gameplay design, not necessarily how he matches in the tier list, I would say he's excellent in almost every game he appears in. He's fun to fight both as and against, he has every tool you'd want out of his archetype but is rarely so powerful with them as to be unfair (despite his initial appearance, of course), and there's nothing quite as consistently satisfying as finishing a tough fight off with a Raging Demon.
>>
File: Yu.png (1 MB, 1914x1079) Image search: [Google]
Yu.png
1 MB, 1914x1079
P4AU has the strongest character
Is there even a video game character who can defeat Narukami Yu?
I'm not talking about Narukami Yu with Izanagi. No, I'm not even talking about Izanagi-no-Okami Narukami Yu. I'm talking about Level-99 Izanagi-no-Okami with Maziodyne and Electric Amp, with Absorb Physical, Ice, Fire, Wind and lightning, Null Light, Null Dark, Mind-Charged Megidolaon, and with skillcarded Victory Cry, Power Charge with Primal Force, Izanagi-no-Okami, buffed with Heat Riser and with a secondary Persona Trumpeteer, with Debilitate, Matarukaja, Marakunda, Masukukaja, Masukunda, and Absorb Phys, Ice, Fire, Lightning, Wind and Null Light and Dark, aided with Naoto support with Shield of Justice, Narukami Yu. And he also has Knowledge: Sage, Expression: Enthralling, Understanding: Saintly, Diligence: Rock Solid, and Courage: Heroic, is wearing Omnipotence Orb and has all S.Links at max, defeated the Reaper and is currently wielding the Blade of Totsuka, and wearing the Godly Robe, increasing all his Stats, and has several Somas in his inventory, as well as support from the Investigation Team which will aid him with cavalry attacks and galactic punts?
>>
>>315356498
They nerfed his drones hyper as well
>>
File: petshop.jpg (100 KB, 919x504) Image search: [Google]
petshop.jpg
100 KB, 919x504
>>315349661

So are we about the best or the most broken in gameplay?
>>
File: terrybogard_motw.jpg (45 KB, 430x900) Image search: [Google]
terrybogard_motw.jpg
45 KB, 430x900
>>315349661
>Is he the best character in fighting game history? And I mean in terms of actual gameplay.

No.
>>
File: based.gif (158 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
based.gif
158 KB, 384x224
>>315349661
Not even the best of his universe.
>>
>>315360776

Best, if broken, any mugen character fit in.
>>
>>315359357
>I think if we're talking gameplay design, not necessarily how he matches in the tier list

those are more often than not directly related. he's been top tier in sf4 because he was overdesigned. he was one of, if not the, best zoning characters in the game, his footsies game is great, he had good pressure, along with great okizeme. just giving him low health and calling it a day is not good design.

if you like his aesthetics, sure. even then i wouldn't say he's the best sf has to offer. if you think good design is the one time you can actually get off the ground just to face a character with amazing screen control, footsie and damage, i don't know what to tell you.

luckily he's not that terrible to fight against in usf4 at least.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.