[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dark souls 3 will have another clusterfuck of lore fragments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault3.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault3.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>dark souls 3 will have another clusterfuck of lore fragments and people will call it brilliant narrative
what exactly would be so bad about a souls game having an actual story to tell?
>>
>>313161615

I think most people that even enjoyed DaS II would agree that the lore was the weakest point of the game and only the DLCs had interesting backstory.

I'm optimist towards DaS III, since it looks like they'll be going back to the DeS in terms of tone.
>>
>>313161615

Thats exactly what I and almost everyone else likes, you moron.

That's one of the core elements of Dark Souls.

Go play something else for explicit in your face storytelling. Its like complaining about how Age of Empires doesnt have a first person view.
>>
>>313163281
No it isnt. i dont disagree with dark souls being supposed to be this way, but OP is saying poeple shouldnt say it has an brilliant narrative. It simply doesnt. An actual comparison would go something like this: Dark souls narrative is amazing!/age of empires first person mode is awesome! not what you said. das has no narrative and aoe has no first person mode.
>>
>>313163567
>das has no narrative

this is what people who think "story" has to mean "extensive dialog and cutscenes every 4 minutes just like my japanese animes" actually believe
>>
>>313163016
I enjoyed DaS2 and I can vouch for that.
half of the game is spent in places nobody gives a shit about only to get to the Great Ones (No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, Huntman's Copse, Shaded Woods, Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, etc.)

The rest is spent in places that are interesting but never explained (Heide's, Amana, Grave of Saints, Doors of Pharros, Crypt)

FROM wrote themselves into a corner by being pretentiously vague and uninteresting to the point they had to release SotFS as a free patch
>>
>>313164717
>make heides look like anor londo
>"isnt that crazy and myterious, you guys? take it or leave it sure youll figure something out"
BRAVO
R
A
V
O
>>
I like this way of story telling.

It's refreshing instead of blatant story being shoved in your face.
>>
It allows the player to piece things together and interpret things for themselves, rather than having everything dictated to them.

Pretty much every game has the player exploring and fighting their way through a ruined, fucked-up civilization, which makes this form of storytelling work.

Neither one is necessarily better than the other, like most methods of storytelling it depends on the game.
>>
>>313165504
it doesnt have any story telling

its like interacting in a world that takes place after the story that is supposed to be told and all you do is finding peaces of what happened in said story.
its like placing a novel in a minecraft world and calling reading it story telling
>>
>>313165850
So you are saying, through the spaced out reveal of past events, a story is being told? Sounds like story telling to me.
>>
>>313165850
>its like interacting in a world that takes place after the story that is supposed to be told and all you do is finding peaces of what happened in said story
Except that sounds amazing? Plus what could make you feel smaller than realizing the "story" of the world you're in stars gods and their children, eternal demonspawn, the spark of life in the void, etc. and you're just some piece of shit mortal weakling with no real way of influencing events.
>>
>>313167089
didnt mean to say thats bad.
just saying its not real storytelling ... yes it somewhat tells a story, but that one is disconnected from the events that take place in the game. there is no real narration in the progression of the players actions. or in other words, the games dont tell their own story but giving insight of what happened before the games take place.
>>
Spooky Souls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmT1v-LRebU
>>
>muh story can only be told through 40 minutes cutscenes
>>
>>313161615
I like the vague narrative. it allows me to not give a fuck about it. don't have to skip through any endless dialogue, can just enjoy the atmosphere while I kill shit

but I detest the people who make up all these giant fucking stories about it that don't exist. that shit is all in your mind fam, keep it to yourself
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.