[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/ I've been playing through some older jrpgs, recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: FinalFantasy3_Boss16.png (7 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy3_Boss16.png
7 KB, 256x224
Hey /v/

I've been playing through some older jrpgs, recently FF3, and I've realized that I enjoy these kinds of games more when the focus is on how you can customize your party and abilities to overcome the challenges thrown at you rather than follow a story.

So recommend games to me please. I don't want to see googly anime eyes if I can avoid it too.
>>
>>313008574
You want dungeon crawlers then. No real story, character creation for all party members, focus is on resource management and fights.

Try Etrian Odyssey or SMT: Strange Journey.
>>
Labyrinth of Touhou 2 is pretty good about this.
A large portion of it is overcoming difficult bosses through your team loadout.
It also rewards you for being at a level where you're up for a real challenge, and you can freely set everyone's level down.
It's inspired by Etrian Oddyssey, but it isn't unforgiving.

There's also Genius of Sappheiros, also a Touhou fangame, which is long, challenging, and also very customizable.
Get the Devil of Decline patch, it makes the experience better. Also allows easy mode if you like.
>>
>>313009192
>>313009206
will look into them, cheers anons
>>
Etrian Odyssey.

Also, FF5 is like 3 but a million times better.
>>
>>313008574
You want to play the later Wizardry games.
>>
>>313009528
I agree

>>313009795
I think there was a Wizardry 8 demo on the Jagged Alliance 2 disc. is that late enough?
>>
Hey speaking of dungeon crawlers, has anybody played the game Beyond the Labryinth? There's a fan translation of it out now, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a Gateway for it and a couple other games.
>>
7th Dragon is worth looking into. It's something in the vein of Dragon Quest x Etrian Odyssey and it has an english patch. Bravely Default is very cool with its job system but it goes hard in the story department. You'll never have to listen to a lick of dialogue I'm pretty sure, thanks to the objective markers, but that is also worth taking a look at.
>>
>>313009916
Wizardry 7 and 8 are what you want, yeah.

Wizardry 6 and lower are not.
>>
everyone's given me some new games to look into, so before this 404's, thank you all!
>>
>>313008574
Divinity: Original Sin is sort of like this and is REALLY enjoyable if you focus on the gameplay alone.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.