[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this man hate momentum?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
File: 250px-MasahiroSakurai.png (110 KB, 250x326) Image search: [Google]
250px-MasahiroSakurai.png
110 KB, 250x326
Why does this man hate momentum?
>>
Due to dual wielding his controllers he can't run and jump and the same time anymore, so he leveled the playing field.
Honestly I don't get it. Maybe he went to deep being a Ganon main and couldn't get back onstage.
>>
Because tourneyfags abused it and turned the game into something it's not.

It's the same reason you can't control the direction of your air dodge.
>>
He wants Smash Bros. to be a game that can be enjoyed by anybody, for better or for worse.
>>
>>288785064
>and turned the game into something it's not.
fun?
>>
>>288784183
Have you ever made a game?
>>
>Waaah a game developer made a kids' game more fun for kids and not autistic tryhards like me
>>
>>288784183
momentum sucks. it's the reason i don't like any of the mario games
>>
>>288785416
>>288785424

>Faggots who make "guarenteed replies: the post"
>>
>>288785207
>>288785424
>>288785416

The first Super Mario Bros has momentum.

Smash bros is a mechanically inferior to a NES game
>>
>>288784183
I might be wrong on this, but didn't Palutena's super speed used to let her use the momentum from it? Does that mean they had to put momentum in the game and then remove it, assuming there wasn't any momentum beforehand.
>>
>>288785871
>but didn't Palutena's super speed used to let her use the momentum from it?

yes, actually.

they actually took the development time to remove momentum from jumps.
>>
>>288786000
That's really fucking stupid, why go to the effort to remove momentum. Nice trips.
>>
he must of hate Mario platformers

momentum is the most important part of platformer games and should not be messed with at all.

fuck Galaxy with it's slow ass gravity gimmick
>>
>>288785416
Except those kids could still enjoy the game. The only people who can't enjoy Smash when tourneyfags exist are bootybombed /v/ and GameFAQs users
>>
Muh chilluns
>>
>>288785207
>>288785416
>>288785424

>Taking away a mechanic that is a staple for platform games.
>Just because people found a way to use it effectively.

I can't believe people actually think that Sakurai is a good developer.

I can't wait until 5mash where every round starts with a random person exploding because "muh casuals."
>>
File: 1423016751282.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1423016751282.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
Smash 4 actually has a lot of momentum under certain conditions.

Except jump momentum of course.
>>
>>288786226
>all slow games are bad
is Mario Galaxy being slow really a legitimate complaint? why should speed matter? that game is about precision. go play Sonic the Hedgehog is you want to blaze through levels without a second thought.
>>
File: butz guffaw.jpg (51 KB, 167x167) Image search: [Google]
butz guffaw.jpg
51 KB, 167x167
>>288786429
But anon, I thought Smash Bros was a FIGHTING game, not a platformer!
>>
File: 1422766805314.jpg (45 KB, 527x539) Image search: [Google]
1422766805314.jpg
45 KB, 527x539
>>288786424
>>
Because Sakurai is a cuck
>>
>>288786558
it's a platform-fighter
>>
>>288784183
>momentum
Isnt that the main reason why anything slower than fox was borderline unplayable?
>>
>>288786653
no.
Faster characters benefitted from more momentum, of course. But the presence of it wasn't a detriment to any character
>>
>>288786429
He's a good developer outside of Smash where he doesn't force himself to ruin things just because of a harmless minority.
>>
>>288786513
NSMB was fast
3D World was faster than Galaxy
even the SMB3/World had fast platforming
Sunshine was close to 64 but without the long jump and the sloppy wall jump make it a bit clunky. infinte water sliding and propeller spin jump saved it to nearly god-tier.

and Galaxy uses the same physics moveset just like 64's, why watered it down to shit Nintendo?
>>
File: KirbySSB4.png (3 MB, 2934x2387) Image search: [Google]
KirbySSB4.png
3 MB, 2934x2387
>>288784183
The Kirby games were never known to have much in-air momentum, either.

Coincidence? I think NOT!
>>
>>288786969
well kirby games aren't that great either.

Except for Amazing Mirror and Superstar/Ultra.

It takes a lot of effort to be a more casual mario game
>>
>>288784183
because he's a cuck
>>
File: MEATBALLS.jpg (4 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
MEATBALLS.jpg
4 KB, 125x120
>mfw the worst 3D Mario has better jumping momentum and physics than Smash Bros 4
step it up, Sakurai.
>>
>>288786597
pay your respect, my B
>>
File: 8ad.jpg (421 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
8ad.jpg
421 KB, 720x576
>>288787051
>The only Kirby games that were actually good are the games I played as a kid

ow the edge
>>
>>288786969
outside 64 and aside modifications, Kirby sucks in all other Smash games.
>>
File: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>288785243
>>
>>288787447
Nice try, but I wasn't claiming 64 as good, though.
>>
>>288784183
Balanced isn't competitive

He wanted a balanced game

Momentum fucks heavies harder than they are already fucked due to no stamina mechanics in almost every fighting game. Light fighters can dodge around forever with no consequence already and mid air momentum only exacerbates this issue.
>>
>>288787561
And I wasn't claiming that 64 was a game you played as a kid, faggotron. Great job calling yourself out there. It only proves my point even further.

You're still a fag for having absolute shit taste in platformers.
>>
>>288787495
he's talking about talking about Kirby in Smash. was talking about Kirby in Kirby. Kirby games don't have air momentum.
>>
File: sluggorecursive.jpg (100 KB, 976x734) Image search: [Google]
sluggorecursive.jpg
100 KB, 976x734
>>288787909
64 was the only I played as a kid.
Thus you're implying that I said it was a good game, and you are then incorrect.

Eat shit.
>>
reminder that big rosters will make the game harder to balance and bug test.

hopefully the next Smash will have size of 25 characters in the game along with bonus 40 planned/veterans/secret/cut characters as free DLC.

and Sakurai needs to retire Smash for his own shit and give it to HAL.
>>
>>288788597
reminder that a big roster is how you sell a fighting games to a normalfag

Also a reminder that momentum will never be coming back because it isn't a balanced mechanic, and never will be a balanced mechanic unless you completely change the game
>>
>>288788071
So why do you think, of all games, Amazing Mirror is among the only good Kirby games, then?
>>288787051
>>
>>288788597
>implying a new Smash will EVER have a smaller roster than the previous

Wow I know they say the Smash fandom is delusional, but I didn't know it was this bad. RIP in fucking pieces.
>>
>>288787826
>He wanted a balanced game

That's a good one. I'll have to remember that.
>>
>>288789116
Are implying there is a single tier chart for melee with a heavy over a C?

I'm all ears.
>>
what will happen first?

Nintendo lets sakurai make a none smash game?

Kojima makes a none metal gear game?

or from software makes a game thats actually fun to play.
>>
>>288789480
The first.
>>
File: Ashleyfags.png (216 KB, 499x2590) Image search: [Google]
Ashleyfags.png
216 KB, 499x2590
>>288788960
>reminder that a big roster is how you sell a fighting games to a normalfag
this is basically true

i mean just look at all the reception PM got when they announced Mewtwo and Roy as playable characters for their iconic Brawl mod.

barely seen GS fans requesting Isaac for Smash due to SSF2 give out the biggest love for Isaac requesters.

and Bowser players already sold their money and serving their defense to Sm4sh due to the upgrades he got in the game.

just imagine if Ashley was playable in Sm4sh, the defense for the game would be WAY worser the Brawl's
>>
>>288789215
what do you mean?
you mean samus, ganondorf and captain falcon?
>>
sakurai is cuter than most females I swear to god
>>
>>288789627
>sold their money
>bare seen gs fans requesting isaac for smash due to SSF2 give out the biggest love for isaac requesters
>way worser

M8...
>>
>>288789672
>samus
>meleedorf is a heavy
>falcon is a heavy

Dorf is a mid heavy at most and samus and C> falcon are mids with saums having a heavy gravity modifier and sharing nothing else with heavies.

So nice try.
>>
>>288789814
w-what did i do...
>>
>>288788960
>Also a reminder that momentum will never be coming back because it isn't a balanced mechanic, and never will be a balanced mechanic unless you completely change the game
What the fuck are you smoking? You think jumps behaving like they should equals a lack of balance?
>>
>>288789814
you didn't make sense.
>>
File: weight.png (34 KB, 503x684) Image search: [Google]
weight.png
34 KB, 503x684
>>288789834
are you sure?
>>
>>288789974
meant for
>>288789916
>>
>>288784183
tl;dr version
Sakurai is a casual, so he panders to casuals with his choices as director. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Longer version.

Melee and 64 turned out like they did because HAL labs is a competent development team made up of individuals who know how to make good games with good mechanics. They did not turn out how they did because of Sakurai choosing to "make the game deeper" than others, because in actuality all he is is a man who gives the nod to things and play tests to make sure its fair for everyone. Smash 4 and Brawl turned out like they did not because of Sakurai in whole (he had a bigger effect on those games because of removed mechanics that added to depth) but because HAL labs was no longer the team behind those titles, they were outsourced.

Namco being the main dev team behind Sm4sh REALLY shows as well because of further removed mechanics that Brawl had, as well as further babyfied ledge mechanics. Brawl had minor involvement from the HAL labs team, which showed, because despite its more casual and campy nature, brawl played tighter and allowed better control to the player. Sm4sh is loose, slidey, and tries to be a combo based smash game yet fails. The lack of involvement from HAL labs as the main team behind Smash bros REALLY hurts the series.

This is the truth as someone who actually reads and pays attention to who is actually making these games, denial and angry EVERYONE incoming.
>>
>>288789215
He didn't change it for balance, because he doesn't know HOW to balance.

Hell, Brawl barely had two viable characters, and it was after he changed it to be more "balanced"
>>
>>288789978
Size and speed are more of factors in the weight classes for videogame m8, both you and I know that.

If in game weight directly correlated with model size and speed you might have a point, but you don't.
>>
>>288790216
>>288789943
see
>>288787826
>>
>>288790217
what are you implying then?
That falcon isn't the hardest character to KO off the top due to falling speed and weight?

Please explain everything you're haphazardly laying out.
>>
>>288790181
Melee turned out the way it did because it was rushed and unpolished. HAL also worked on Brawl.

They're a good developer, you make it sound like the team itself (which quite a few people outside of Sakurai are at Sora now) was the ONLY thing that made Smash Bros. good.
>>
>>288790312
He literally said in interviews that he slowed it down for casuals. It had fuck all to do with balance.

If he wanted it balanced I'm sure he could have done something else. Heavies are still useless so your argument makes no sense.
>>
>>288790413
I'm implying that as a heavy (a real heavy) all you can do in melee is wait in the middle of the ring for your demise because you will never be able to catch a light character that doesn't want to be caught. They get to control the entirety of the fight with absolutely no consequences on there end. If there was a stamina bar so you couldn't just dodge around forever in your movement was limited to a set area like a traditional fighting game it wouldn't be an issue.

But it is.
>>
>>288787826
>>288790312
You're implying a heavy character can't also be fast, or have good range, or good defensive options, or have anything that would make them viable at all.
>>
File: casuals blown the fuck out.png (63 KB, 1225x390) Image search: [Google]
casuals blown the fuck out.png
63 KB, 1225x390
>>288790441
Yes, that is exactly what I am implying because it's the fucking truth. Do you honestly believe for a second that Sakurai is more than a nod man? You idiots give him too much credit. He's a playtester and a supervisor, NOT a coder, NOT a designer, not ANYTHING more than those 2 things I listed.

Also, citation for Melee being actually rushed? No I am not googling it either before you try to pass burden of proof off on me. If you're talking about all the helpers that had to help test it, then yes it had external help like Iwata to help test bugs. Even if it was, it still turned out to be a more mechanically sound and all around well playing game that is still played by casuals and tournament players alike today because of how well the game performs.

Before someone tries to start baiting shit about "glitches" as well, I got that covered.
>>
>>288790691
>*or your movement

screwed that up

>>288790480
see the post right under yours

>>288790820
See the post right above yours
>>
>>288790820
They'll never admit anything that compromises their position as "victims" in smash.

7:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NaIYFnVgY
>>
>>288790691
Ok, now what is a real heavy?
Bowser? DK? Slow on top of being heavy?
Because that weight list I posted shows both Samus and Ganondorf are 'heavy' and are both upper mid tier.
>>
>>288790823
A director is a lot more important than you think. And when a good hunk of the shit they wanted in Melee wasn't included because of "Time Constraints", it means the game was rushed.
>>
>>288791027
Heavy is know as heavy in real life because of size as well as weight.

In video games, these two things don't directly correlate so you have to look at all the characteristics they share with real heavyweight fighters.

Can you not logic m8?
>>
File: I can taste the butthurt.png (754 KB, 705x701) Image search: [Google]
I can taste the butthurt.png
754 KB, 705x701
>>288791070
The same was said about 64, and Brawl. Characters just werent included because Nintendo wanted the games out faster. Same thing as Smash 4 as a matter of fact, by the fact that it had to have patches as well as planned character DLC. Why arent you targetting them anon? Because it doesnt sit well with making you look right, you cherrypicking faggot.

every smash game has been rushed, as are most games. It's called deadlines, and most if not all games have them.
>>
>>288791202
Samus and Ganondorf are two of the tallest characters in the game, with Ganondorf undoubtedly being the tallest character
>>
>>288791070
>>288791258
Also, a director isn't more than a nod man, I will not compromise that notion because he's not actually making the game. Sakurai hasn't MADE a game since fucking N64.
>>
>>288791258
So now you admit that Melee was a rushed game?
>>
>>288791368
I never doubted namefag, I asked for proof because I didn't know whether Melee in specific was or not. Actually use your fucking brain and eyes are read. How much do I have to embarrass you?
>>
>>288791202
Bowser in PM is huge and slow but is still viable in competitive play, same with DK in 64

Your posts make you sound like you've never played a Smash game
>>
>>288791350
There was Meteos, which he was the designer for. And then there was a Bug Fighting game for arcades he designed.

And really, why is it that Sakurai doesn't mean a thing for 64 and Melee, when he means everything for Brawl and Smash 4? Is it because there just has to be ONE thing to blame?
>>
>>288790909
>>288790691
What I'm telling you is that this change was not made for balancing purposes. We KNOW this. Sakurai has fucking said it himself.

If he wanted it balanced, he could have done something else. He didn't. He removed momentum and slowed everything down to dumb the game down for casuals.
>>
>>288791368
Did anyone deny this?

>>288791517
Melee was probably the most rushed of all of them. I'm not sure the exact dev time, but I think it was less than all of the others.
>>
>>288791770
as a testament to melee's rushed-ness. Ganondorf's model was ripped right from the Spaceworld tech demo
>>
>>288791307
They are also around what I would say is mid,speed, as well as having a much smaller overall than real heavies surface area wise.

Once again you are trying to use a single statistic to prove your point because while high correlated to body surface area in real life, In video games it doesn't necessarily translate.

Also you would be implying that Drof and Samus can catch a light/ mid-light who has there mid set on running after they have dealt a whole one damage to them, guaranteeing the victory in tournament terms.

>>288791631
The only reason they are competitively viable is because there opponents come to face them because if they didn't they would get boo'd off the stage. And I don't know if you can call 64 a good bancale to have for a game considering just about every fighter has a zero to death combo.
>>
>>288791003
>TOSS THAT NIGGA

every time
>>
Also I just wanna state that I used to love playing Brawl, and I'm also a super casual. Despite that, I still prefer the mechanics in Melee and go back to playing it a lot. I can't wavedash or any of that shit btw.

I like the new smash and I like project M, it doesn't have to be one or the other. i appreciate the faster style of project m though, but the characters in 4 are better overall. (this should be self-evident, but I'm on /v/ so i'll just state it outright: these are all my own opinions)

also before some smartass goes "nice blog" i'm just saying you guys don't have to hate on one or the other. they're both decent in their own ways.
>>
>>288788597
>HAL meme again
do you really think HAL as they are now could possibly pull off another Smash game and nail it? look at the most recent Kirby games. would you call those innovating or spectacular? Return to Dreamland was in development hell for over 7 years. Triple Deluxe was pretty much them saying fuck it let's make Return to Dreamland except without multiplayer and some foreground background gimmick like Donkey Kong. they would need someone to put their foot down and tell them fuck off stop being so damn indecisive. and before you mention Kirby Superstar Ultra that's a remake. those new modes really didn't add much. Helper to Hero was the Arena except with partners. Revenge of the King was Spring Breeze except recolored and harder. Meta Knightmare was the entire game over again except with Meta Knight. hell the most recent game they made was some Mobile/Flash game tier shit.
>>
>>288791741
Balance is for casuals m8.

The most celebrated competitive fighters are usually extremely unbalanced. The more mechanics your game has, the more likely they will favor one fighter over the other. The only solution to this is to cut down and homogenizes your cast. You can't do that for smash.
>>
>>288787245
Super Mario 64?
>>
>>288785064
Wait, how was running and jumping exploited?
>>
>>288792265
The spirtes in KSSU were made by Flagship too. Too bad they died almost a decade ago.
>>
>>288785207
When has Smash Bros not been that?

The people he makes these changes for don't even give a shit about how the game plays.
>>
>>288786653
Definitely not. Especially when you're just playing casually where it only serves to make things faster and more confrontational.
>>
>>288792279
>Balance is for casuals m8.

That makes zero fucking sense though because casuals would play casually and use items and wacky stages and shit so balance really isn't as important, and again, Brawl was even more unbalanced than Melee.

And most other competitive games get regular balance patches to keep things balanced. What are you even talking about?
>>
>>288786798
>some characters benefited more
>isn't a detriment to other characters

Do you know how fighting games work?
If a fighter gets a buff because of game mechanics and it isn't equally reflected in the rest of the cast you can see that as a nerf for everyone else.

>>288792963
So, are you gonna acknowledge the 2nd half of my post or what?
>>
>>288793094
Why would he address something that's so blatantly wrong? Those celebrated, unbalanced fighters like MvC2 are incredibly popular with casuals.
>>
>>288785716
This says a lot about how hard Smash For dropped the ball and how very little enthusiasm Sakurai has for the series anymore. I mean, how and why would you think that removing a key feature in a platformer-type game was a good idea? Is he really that fucking spiteful towards a small group?

Hackurai sums him up perfectly.
>>
>>288793094
I just don't see why they can't give big guys some other sort of tools to make them more viable, or add some sort of detriment to dodging around a lot with a fast character.
>>
>>288789480
>Kojima makes a none metal gear game?
Silent Hills.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.