[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this generation of consoles so underpowered?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 20
File: 30 fps intensifies.gif (300 KB, 400x330) Image search: [Google]
30 fps intensifies.gif
300 KB, 400x330
Why was this generation of consoles so underpowered?
>>
Because normal people dont care about frame rate.
>>
>>288356527
For the same reason 90% of PCs used for gaming are underpowered
Shit's expensive and there's little incentive when people are fine playing games with last gen graphics.
>>
maybe they were hoping that by some time during their lifecycle cloud gaming would finally become a thing and it wouldn't matter how powerful your own rig is
>>
>>288356527
>was

it still is.

At least one of them aims for 60fps instead of ultra real "marketing" graphics.
>>
because consoletards are too poor to afford more powerful hardware. (see PS3 vs Xbox360)
Imagine if Sony announced PS4 for 999$ with actually good hardware. how many kids' parents would buy this on Christmas?
>>
>>288356527
It doesn't matter how powerfull the hardware is, developers will still prioritize graphics over framerate, because fancy graphics sell.
>>
Last gen was 8 years but no one told the design engineers so they only advanced the hardware the typical 4-5 years from the previous gen.
>>
I wouldn't mind them being underpowered if there were actually any decent games to play on them. Power does not equal best in console gaming, it never has been and this has always been a hollow argument. PS2 has probably the best game library of any console ever made and yet was not the most powerful console of its gen. Its one of the reasons I still have a slight amount of respect for Nintendo because they just flat out refuse to play that game.

I seriously cannot believe how few fun looking games there are on any of the current gen consoles.
>>
>>288356527
Saturation and price range.
If you made a console that could realistically compete with a high-end computer, it would easily be around the $600~$1000 price range. No one's going to buy that when the competition's selling for literally a quarter of the price

Nintendo has the right idea. Fuck hardware, fuck specs, focus on putting shit out in an affordable price range and justify it with software that prioritizes stylization over realism. Sony and MS still don't realize that no matter how they try, they're not going to beat PC.
>>
trying to meet resolution standards set years ago by shit tier hardware?
>>
>>288356673
>buying into Dr Mattrick's Cure-All Wonder Oilâ„¢
>>
>>288356527
Because the Big 3 wanted to maximize profits by cutting development costs and using cheaper tech.

Then marketers brainwashed the importance of a 1080/30 as a standard to idiotic consumers so they could get away with less and avoid a backlash.
>>
Probably because nobody knows any better. They gradually lowered the framerate over the years to the unplayable 25-30fps mess that's now standard and people think that's what games are supposed to look like.

That's why you hear shit like "60fps looks too real"!
>>
>>288356527
x86 instead of PPC
8 fucking cores and its still a bottle neck, consoles rely on cpu much more than gpu
>>
>>288356917
Too bad Nintendo hasn't doing well with that strategy, now they have to resort to mobile gaming to survive.
>>
>>288356746

How does a console "aim for 60 FPS"? That's something completely up to the game developers.
>>
File: 1376672263181.png (62 KB, 835x1710) Image search: [Google]
1376672263181.png
62 KB, 835x1710
>>288356527
Because console manufacturers are greedy jews
>>
>>288356527
Because devs now realize how long its going to take to make games on that hardware.

The order took 5 years to develop and literally all we got was a tech demo with all the finiancial eggs put into visual muscle and they forgot to make a game.

This generation won't be great, the only thing we can hope for is that they take this muscle and utilize the fuck out of a good art style and make it a treat to look at, not a chore to run.
Realist art styles are for some reason the graphical benchmark people just kind of expect now.

A waste of time and talent.
>>
>>288356673
I still cannot believe anyone believed that shit was possible and going to work. Everyone already knows about latency, how were they not able to put 2 and 2 together?
>>
>>288357029
When the console only gets first party games
>>
>>288357027
Their failure and what I described are two non-touching parts of the venn diagram.

Even their shit games manage to properly utilize stylization to mask the hardware's shortcomings. Look at games like Smash 4, Mario 3D, and MK8; even if you think they're shit games, they manage to pull off some impressive visual tricks.
>>
File: 1414691163299.gif (143 KB, 395x408) Image search: [Google]
1414691163299.gif
143 KB, 395x408
>>288356527
TB is the king!

http://strawpoll.me/3961650
>>
>>288357029
Pretty straight forward really. They pick specs that they think could achieve 60 FPS at the current resolution standard now and at least some time into the future.

However Sony didn't really do that. They just said "60 fps 4thegamers we're not microsoft" and people fell for it.
>>
>>288357027
>resort to
Nintendo has been leading the fray in mobile gaming for over twenty years.
>>
File: 1423918250769.gif (898 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1423918250769.gif
898 KB, 250x186
Because consoles are supposed to be the cheap option compared to a mid-level gaming PC.

Considering the sweet spot for a pc build is around 1,000-1,500, consoles have to undercut that by half.

But you get what you pay for. Considering consoles are literally pc parts running a locked OS, it's budget parts in a stylized compact case. Otherwise they wouldnt be able to mass produce them at that price point.

As far as why consoles stopped getting bigger and badder, its because the biggest cpu manufacturers (amd/intel) have stopped directly competing in this category, so there havent been high-end parts becoming budget tier in the wake of an arms race.

Also, the big three consile manufacturers are no longer playing to consumers, and are now releasing consoles every couple of years because they're afraid one of the other companies is going to be the only one with a "new" one on the market.
>>
>>288356527
Costs and cooling. Powerful hardware needs ventilation which makes boxes loud and huge, and powerful compact hardware is expensive. They had absolutely no way of making it both powerful,"small" and cheap. So they made it crap.
>>
>>288357134
Somehow OnLive is still selling itself. I don't know how, but it is.

Idiots will pay for chocolate-covered roaches and pet psychologists; that's the real source of the problem.
>>
Cost efficiency.

PS3 debuted at $600 and made Sony $50 per console sold.

PS4 debuted at $400 and made Sony $200 per console sold.

For the people who think I'm joking, look at the weak laptop-grade parts used, and their wholesale cost.
>>
>>288356846
>developers will still prioritize graphics over framerate, because fancy graphics sell.
Yeah, but sadly they prioritize the wrong type of graphics. They prioritize fidelity (texture resolution, poly count, etc) over aesthetics, and it is retarded.

Games like Maximo and Ratchet and Clank still look good to this day, despite being on the PS2 because their aesthetic allowed them to do more with the hardware.

Too many developers are just fucking incompetent nowadays, and don't actually have clue one on how to actually optimize their games.On the PC it is going to be a nightmare when Vulcan (OpenGL2) comes out and developers can no longer rely on card drivers to optimize their games for them.
>>
>>288357330
>which makes boxes loud and huge
I don't think normalfags even remotely consider this when buying hardware
Smartphones, tablets, and laptops are pretty silent, why do you think they'd even imagine that computers or game consoles can be loud? They're never even loud in the movies
>>
>>288357271
>1,000-1,500 is the sweet spot
Thats top of the line
i5 or i7 with a 980
>>
Sony and Microsoft figured out there is more money to be made in screwing people by selling them underpowered laptop components and charge for online, than in actually providing players a good product and an enjoyable experience.

PS3 was the last good console.
>>
>>288357385
>laptop-grade parts
you dont even know what that means
>>
File: 1383106901724.jpg (147 KB, 1585x1527) Image search: [Google]
1383106901724.jpg
147 KB, 1585x1527
>>288357176
>>
>>288356527
amd vs intel/nvidia

intel got nothing for consoles.
amd - cheap but underpowered hardware.
cell/custom hardware with nvidia - been there done that
>>
It's the same as it's always been. Literally this generation is exactly the same as every one before it in almost every way. This is just the first time you were old enough to fully comprehend it.

Switch out PS4 with PS1, and Wii U with Nintendo 64. It's all the same shit.
>>
>>288356673
So they were hoping that within 9 years at least half the world would be cabled with fiber?

I mean, I know it may not be completely apparent to you, but this would take at least 3 decades, assuming such a juggernaut project even already had started.

So no. That's out of the question. It's out of the question for next gen, and it's out of the question for next-next gen.
>>
>>288357875
>he same as it's always been
3 cores.
dx10.
xbox 360.

Nah.
>>
>>288357412
I guess it should be mandatory for everyone to listen to a Dreamcast then. That thing had power though. Fot it's time.
>>
>>288356527
>bro finally gets Bloodborne
>i watch him play because i've played the rest of the souls series, i don't own a PS4 though
>he can't beat the cleric beast, complains about not being used to the controls and that the fps dropping is causing trouble
>i ask him to let me try
>test the controls for a minute or so, then bumrush to the cleric beast
>beat it in my first try, used no ammo and only 1 potion
Felt pretty clunky, and the fps drops were really irritating to play with. I'd rather just continue playing DAS2 on PC, or better yet get the DX11 version when that's out.
>>
>>288356527

They're not. Developers are retarded. See Japan, ps4 has lots of 1080/60 games because your average developer isn't trying to brute force Crysis 3 on a toaster.
>>
File: 4.png (74 KB, 574x431) Image search: [Google]
4.png
74 KB, 574x431
>>288356527
many reason though the big reason would be:

-neither company could take a big hit on hardware due to their financial situations
-foundries have had a hell of a time getting to nodes below 28nm, this is a huge constraint given that both consoles are APU designs
-foundries shift from primarily servicing high performance designs to low power SOC designs
-the cost Jaguar cores was so cheap that it pretty much pushed any other option off the table for CPUs cores
-Xbone was hit hard by the fact DDR4 did not hit the market in time for adoption

Even if the console were released today they would still be under powered since 28nm is the only node available for high performance chips outside of Intel. Maybe the bone could of moved to DDR4, both console could of moved to Puma cores, and both would of got a memory bandwidth upgrade due to delta compression. For good performance the console would have to be released sometime in 2016 when TSMC or Global Foundries had their 16nm FF or 14nm FF nodes ready. Also in 2016 DDR4 or HBM will be ready, that would of solved the bandwidth issues. CPU performance would probably still suck because it is likely Puma or Puma+ would be used though.
>>
>>288356527
Profit. Old hardware for new prices.
>>
>>288356583
The eye can only see 6 fps!
>>
>>288358283

In other words, nothing that would impact my game experience compared to a developer recognizing the hardware and building their game around it.
>>
File: 1367552646860.jpg (276 KB, 575x700) Image search: [Google]
1367552646860.jpg
276 KB, 575x700
>>288357174
>http://strawpoll.me/3961650

Nice poll you got there. Why are you guys so mad?
>>
>>288357271
>the sweet spot for a pc build is around 1,000-1,500

lol no
mid-level gaming PC is 600 to 700 dollaridoos
>>
From what I hear, they won't feel so underpowered once DX12 hits.

While hardware is important, how efficiently the software uses it is important as well, and DX12/Mantle aim to improve that in a big way.
>>
>>288357271
Sweetspot atm is around 600 bucks.

You can get an used 1366 socket hexacore Xeons clockable at 4.2+ghz for around 150 bucks with mobo, throw in a used 7890/290, new PSU, SSD and ram and you'll shit on consoles the whole generation
>>
>>288356583
Basically this. I seriously don't see the difference past 30
>>
>>288358747
>DX12/Mantle
Graphical API already lowlevel on consoles.
>>
>>288358808
calling bullshit. everyone can see the difference, 60fps is so smooth in comparison.
>>
>>288358790
>throw in a used

no, just no
>>
File: 1.jpg (20 KB, 436x291) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
20 KB, 436x291
>>288357174
Wait, people actually use the Ouya? Wasn't that like a confirmed scam?
>>
>>288358881
calling bullshit. No one can see the difference, 60 fps is the same in comparison
>>
>>288357628
>PS3 was the last good console
Don't you mean PS2, anon?
>>
>>288358958
you're an obvious troll
>>
>>288359035
you're an obvious troll
>>
>>288358889
>buying GPU new
What's the fucking point. If you get a 290 for 120 bucks and shits itself two years down the line because someone tried to mine with it, it's still better than buying a 250X and having to replace it because it's too shit to manage PS2 resolution
>>
Same reason as ever.

They're do incredibly shit because retardso will but them.

They know they can see a retard £85 worth of hardware for £400 because morons'll buy them.

AND they'll pay a subscription on top of that, AND they'll pay £50 for games.

Can't blame anyone but yourself for letting them milk you so hard and so long.

If you bought it, you're part of the problem.

I'm part of the problem too.
>>
>>288358435
eh, it would of been nice to have hardware that could easily do 1080p at a solid 60fps (or solid 30fps for high fidelity games) with decent AA and AF. I think both console have memory bandwidth issues, though they are starting to be ironed out with better APIs. Better CPUs would of also been nice, more so to alleviate long loading times (this is the reason why swapping the HDD on the PS4 for a SSD does not have a huge effect).
>>
Basically, the consoles needed a low power solution to avoid the nuclear furnaces that were the 360 and ps3. This combined with Nvidia being salty and IBM basically being out of the game meant unless they sunk shitloads into more R&D it would have to be what AMD is offering.

Now AMD's APU chips are leagues ahead of anything intel make and with nvidia not playing ball the APUs are the smartest move for a SoC setup. What has hurt is sony and MS missed out on HBM - if that had been available then chances are we'd see the cpus clocked higher as HBM has lower power draw than GDDR5 (MS's mental DDR3 and esram is all kinds of crazy this day and age).

tl;dr media box to sit below the TV means silent operation in small form factor, hence the underpowered hardware.
>>
>PC only
>One of my screens is 720p 30hz and the other is 480p 60hz

I use the same secondary screen since 2002, why would i change it?
>>
Were the consoles last gen comparable to PCs in 2005-6? I didn't have a gayman pc back then.
>>
>>288357027
DOOMED SINCE 1889
>>
>>288359197

See also: all those small form factor steam machines are criminally underpwoered as well.
>>
>>288359108
New here?
>>
>>288359225
Really? I've seen 720p 60hz monitorso chucked out in the street before now, maybe even some 1080p ones that no one wants because they're shit, I always find a use for my old screens, but a 1080p 60hz one isn't really that expensive, why not just pick up a cheap one?
>>
>>288359370
New here?
>>
>>288359398
First laziness, i don't think that it would pay for my efforts
Second i'm a third worlder, most of the monitors being sold here aren't 1080p yet
>>
>>288356673
It seems like MS and Sony may have banked on this. This is the first console from the two that cost less to make than what it sold for. By about 50 dollars if I remember right. With how much both talked about playing games using streaming and "the power of the cloud" and how cheap the systems were to make this had to be their strategy long term.

I've also heard some say that the amount it would cost to get a reasonable jump in performance would be too much because of diminishing returns but that sounds like bullshit considering these systems can't even get a consistent 30 on some average looking games.

Fuck these apu's
>>
I played some Destiny on the ps4 over at a friend's place yesterday. That game runs at 20-25fps at most times.
>>
>>288357105
To be fair they started development on that game before the ps4 was a thing and had no idea what the specs were going to be. Then they had to probably scramble to get it to work on that under powered shitbox
>>
>>288356527
Supposedly, to not make such a loss per console as with the PS3 and 360.

There's also the chance that power may have been sacrificed to keep the consoles small and sleek appearance, but that's all speculation.
>>
>>288358283
>neither company could take a big hit on hardware due to their financial situations

Microsoft is ACTIVE, unlike Sony they make money, Nintendo made money with the WiiU and they knew that third party would not join in if their console was not up to the right power.

Microsoft was willing to waste 100 millions for a controller redesign, they had god knows how many servers for this cloud bullshit.
>>
>>288360920
>Nintendo made money with the WiiU
Ops, meant to say the Wii.
>>
>>288360920
I doubt the Xbox division had much choice, especially given the rumors of Microsoft trying to sell the division or spin it off. The server infrastructure was already in place since the cloud is not just for gaming. As for the controller design, I am unsure how they spent 100 million on it. Could just be PR bullshit to get play in the news, I guess the spent a fair bit of effort on reducing wireless latency and did some custom silicon in the controller.

Even if Microsoft took a hit, what could of they done? I guess they could of used GDDR5 or swaped the Jaguar cores for Steamroller cores. I do not think could do much to beef up the GPU because the die is already huge as is (unless they used GDDR5 and removed ESRAM, then it would just be a PS4 equivalent). If they were willing to take a big hit they could of went with discrete CPU and GPU design, though when you figure out the Performance/$ it would of been hard to argue this path vs an APU design.
>>
>>288356583
http://www.30vs60fps.com/
troll harder
>>
>>288356527
Because the previous generation of consoles lost Microsoft and Sony ludicrous amounts of money on the hardware.

Also, most people genuinely don't care. My brother was running his Xbox 360 in 4:3 standard def on a widescreen HDTV for months and had literally no idea.
>>
File: LR_41.jpg (104 KB, 1068x814) Image search: [Google]
LR_41.jpg
104 KB, 1068x814
>>288356527
Production cost.
Quick time to market.
Yields.
Thermal margin.
Power consumption.

There are far more important metrics than ultimate performance to the companies creating the systems. The PS4's SoC draws 100w under heavy load, entire system draw peaks around 140w. For 8 Jaguar cores and 18 active GCN1.1 CU that power consumption is incredible.
>>
File: AMD_Beema_Mullins_APU_Slide4.jpg (110 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
AMD_Beema_Mullins_APU_Slide4.jpg
110 KB, 1280x719
>>288358283
Jaguar and Puma+ are the exact same core arch. The only difference is that Puma+ has newer power saving features, and is clocked higher.
>>
>>288356527
For the same reason every console generation is underpowered.
1. The console needs to be cheap, so they use old hardware.
2. When the console finally is released, that old hardware is then ancient.
3. Two years after the release, the console hardware is so bad, that even a cell phone has a more powerful graphics processor.
>>
>>288357385
sony lost money on ps3 at first

please dont spread lies
>>
>>288363065
You are wasting your breath 90% of mustard rise can only tell if one number is higher than the other, most of them has fucking no ideas what they mean.
>>
>>288356527
30FPs doesn't mean underpowered, you ignorant "new le gamer" scum.

30FPS is a dev decision. Because the main difference between 30FPS and 60FPS is a 50% of graphic loss.

On a console with a limited hardware, you have to sacrifice the 50% of it's power to go from 30 to 60 FPS.

Obviously, it's logic to stick on 30FPS and reach the maximum quality of graphics.

If a vidya on a console reaches 60FPS it's usually a low quality shooter, indie game or a too simplistic game.

Anyways, I don't expect you to understand this basic stuff that even a 10 years old kid would understand.
>>
>>288364094
This guy gets it.
Also, when your eyes only need to process 30 pictures instead of 60 every second, it puts less strain on them and allows you to concentrate more on the game which is really necessary in a hard core game like this.
I also love how they chose to keep the weapon count down. It allows you to get good at the available arsenal instead of having to switch between a high number of weapons and never master your skills at any of them.
>>
>>288364094

It's a shitty dev decision to sacrifice gameplay for graphics
>>
>>288363546
Higher clocks would have helped, curious if AMD added more sleep states to Puma+. This might of made stand-by modes more efficient. It shows how constrained the design of this gens console were when a year and half latter the options for similar cores are only minimally better. Moving up to big Steamroller or Excavator cores is the only way to offer more performance.
>>
Because this is the first generation where consoles essentially became just inferior PCs. Last gen at last had the CELL and 360 which was easier to develop for in comparison. Now both XBone and PS4 are just wannabe PCs. Nintendo is still doing their own thing as always.
>>
>>288364094
You fucking idiot. Consoles can have as much power as devs want, it's just that the consoles are too powerful for most games so they need to limit the frame rate.
>>
File: 1396542947638.gif (765 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1396542947638.gif
765 KB, 500x281
>>288356527

The only good gaming system was first Commodore 64, then Amiga 500, then PS1 and now to the reigning master, the PC.

All other consoles was lackluster the day they arrived.

The PS2 and Xbox was just a bit behind but not nearly as underpowered as the PS4 and XBone.
>>
>>288356527
why is this generation of gamers such massive faggots? You fucking brat appreciate what you have. Kill yourself.
>>
>>288364761
>demanding better products and services is bad
>>
File: Carrio die-large.jpg (163 KB, 678x988) Image search: [Google]
Carrio die-large.jpg
163 KB, 678x988
>>288364558
A couple Excavator modules would be a fantastic replacement. A module hits 2800mhz at 7w, and with HDL is smaller than a Jaguar cluster.
>>
Bait posts everywhere.
Fucking newfags
>>
>>288364761

fuck off grandpa
>>
>>288358808
well my roommate who has only played on the PS3 looked over my shoulder a few days ago and said "wow, that looks so smooth. Also those graphics look amazing." He was playing AC:Unity. I was playing Brotherhood. Unity should look way better than brotherhood.

So even people who play on consoles can agree that 60 fps looks smoother.
>>
>>288356527
Because profit.
>>
File: lates.png (247 KB, 504x388) Image search: [Google]
lates.png
247 KB, 504x388
>>288365239
>>
>>288356527
Because those console were not designed to try and be high-end PCs.
>>
>>288364550
If they make <your vidya> at 60FPS with the graphics halved, then you'll bitch about the graphics anyways, so basicly there's no way to content you.
>>
>>288365552

Epic
>>
>>288362098

God, switching back and forth made me nauseous.
>>
>>288357271
>Considering consoles are literally pc parts

no, no and no

You can't currently buy at retail the ps4 apu or the xbone one either, because those are custom design and amd can't sell them to the public. also good luck in finding a pc with a 8gb ddr5 shared ram pool
>>
>>288365102
couldn both sony and microsoft opt for an amd gpu + some ibm power pc cores solution? Something like the old xbox360
>>
>>288366093
As part of their semi-custom business AMD will build an SoC using their own IP, and whatever IP the customer provides.
Theres no point in building a Power or PPC based SoC. The idea that PPC/Power in general is superior to modern X86 implementations is something unique to this board.

IBM's crowning glory(more like swan song) the Power8 arch is completely embarrassed by a run of the mill Xeon server chip.
>>
>>288357174
sonyggers btfo
>>
>>288358808
Youve never played smash bros on 3ds
>>
>>288356527

They're cheap, that's why.
>>
>>288366369
do you have some benchmarks, that can tell me how the amd jaguar cores behave in comparison to the xbox360 cpu, or even the cell? because that's the big question, and also the main thing people shitpost about, the fact that those core have the power of the old intel atom you could found in some shitty netbook according to the general consensus.

if they didn't opt for those cpu cores, do you think another choice could have been made, while at the same time remaining in a <150watt package?
>>
>>288367039
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_phenom_am1&num=1

Jaguar cores have higher IPC than K10 based Phenom chips, they perform better per clock. The only benches where the Kabini Athlon here falls behind are due to the fact that it has single channel memory, something the consoles aren't limited by. The only issue at all with them in the consoles is that they don't have enough thermal margin to clock higher.
Comparing anything to a Power or PPC arch is more complicated since they're so less common, but some Ubisoft dev gave a presentation on parallel compute at GDC last year where they had some rendering figures that compared the various CPUs.
>>
>>288359463
You are both beauties, but seriously30 fps or 60 doesn't matter there is no difference
>>
File: 1422769658195.png (102 KB, 1484x821) Image search: [Google]
1422769658195.png
102 KB, 1484x821
>>288364575
>>
>>288356527

They aren't being sold at a loss this time
>>
>>288356917
>affordable

the wiiu was $350 at launch. $50 less than the ps4 and its still expensive.
>>
>>288357385
>being this stupid
>>
>>288364391
Sounds like a bait. I'll bite.

having 60fps means getting extra 30 frames per second to react. In 3d games where you have possiblity of turning camera around character. Have you ever noticed difference between 30 and 60? It's huge to me. Shit gets choppy as all hell.
>>
Console players only care about one thing: graphics. They don't care about games being good, they care about having a game that looks good enough to justify dropping $400 on a dedicated gaming machine.

There's a lot of pressure from Sony to cut any corner necessary to get the game looking as good as possible. That's why we get games like The Order 1886 with its no gameplay all graphics approach, and Bloodborne's minute long load screens and 18fps stuttering.
>>
>>288356527
To make a profit on launch.
>>
>>288357004
>They gradually lowered the framerate over the years
Except that's not true. The standard dropped from 60 to 30ish as soon as 3D consoles were released. Almost no PS1/N64 games were 60fps.

There is an entire generation of console gamers who don't play racing, fighting or COD (the only console games to hit 60) and genuinely think that 30 is the norm and 60 looks unnatural. These are the kind of people Sony is targeting with the PS4.
>>
>>288356527
>Why was this generation of consoles so underpowered?
it's an upgrade, not a new generation per se... consoles are now just dumbed down PCs... haven't you noticed?
>>
>>288364550
This. Especially when the peak of console graphics is less impressive than Crysis, a PC game from 8 years ago.

Also, competent developers can do both. WipEout HD was the best-looking game on the PS3 by a long shot and it hit 60fps (unless splitscreen or 3D) with dynamic framebuffer magic.
>>
>>288356527
nothing to do with underpowered
if From Software turned off post-processing and lowered the shadows, it could be 60 fps
>>
>>288363934
>You are wasting your breath 90% of mustard rise can only tell if one number is higher than the other, most of them has fucking no ideas what they mean.

how does it feel to be a king of shitposting?
>>
File: 1426981052015.jpg (54 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
1426981052015.jpg
54 KB, 500x534
>>288358808
>I don't see the difference between sex and masturbation!

Who're trying to fool?
>>
>>288357892
And the reason this doesn't happen is the same reason it took 7 years to get "more powerful" consoles.

It's business anons and normals by nature are ignorant to their shit eating.
>>
>>288369859
People played 1024x600 Call of Duty games for years. Developers used all sorts of whacky custom resolutions and upscaled them to 1280x720, sometimes without any AA at all. Consumers still ate it up.
They can get away with native 1280x720 and a few passes of AA along with post process sharpening now. It looks marginally better, and they're upping poly counts along with using higher res textures. So long as there is a noticeable improvement over the last gen most people don't really care about the specifics.

If there is another console gen(I don't think there will be) they could offer true 1920x1080@60 fps and upscale it to 4k, and consumers would still eat it up and ask for seconds.
>>
>>288357016
Intel cores shit over IBMs. It's not the architecture, it's the bargain bin netbook chips sony and ms purchased from AMD.

Realistically though intel wouldn't sell it's cores for cheap, MS and Sony don't believe the market can afford them.
>>
>>288370234
Jaguar cores aren't bargain bin, they're one of the best things that AMD has ever produced in their entire operating history. The issue is their clock speed in their implementation in the PS4 and Xbone. When you have an SoC everything has to have the same BEOL. That means you can't give the CPU a full high performance metal stack and let it clock higher at a given voltage. Everything in those chips is using the same GPU metal stack that is gear for 1.1v at the very most.
>>
File: 1381111886671.gif (456 KB, 480x361) Image search: [Google]
1381111886671.gif
456 KB, 480x361
>>288370645
Oh I agree, the architecture shits all over bulldozer in design but is not as efficient as it needs to be in this specific case and it doesn't supply the performance we'd hope here. At the very least the consoles will be super cheap(relatively) once the sales slow and cheaper redesigns come out.

But meh, it's all depressing.

>tfw puma cores "next gen"
>>
>>288356527

Because everyone is skint after the 7th gen killed gaming, and they can't afford to sell consoles either at 599 US dollars or at a loss (Even though the Xbone actually did both and was the same price as the launch PS3)
>>
>>288370234
>bargain bin netbook chips sony and ms purchased from AMD

A lot of it probably comes down to console devs not being used to multithreading. PS3/360 had 3 relatively powerful cores and most games only used 1 of them. PS4/Xbone have 8 piss-weak cores. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of devs are taking the last-gen approach of using as few threads as possible and throwing everything on a single core, and that's why the framerate tanks to sub-20 whenever there's a few physics objects or particles on-screen.
>>
>>288371485
All 3 physical cores in the 360 were used.
The Cell Be had 6 SPUs available for developers, and despite being clocked so low, Jaguar cores still perform better over all.
>>
>>288356527
>/v/ before gamer gate
Who is this fat fuck?
>/v/ after gamer gate
TB is the hero /v/ deserves
>>
>>288373839
well it coincided with his cancer. The cancer has humbled him somewhat.
>>
>>288374443
I disagree, his views are remains pretty consistent from since before he was diagnosed. The only reason /v/ puts him up on a pedestal now is because he was one of the only rational personalities in favour of gamer gate.
>>
>>288357385
nope, they lost money on the ps3 and make less than 50 bucks on the ps4
>>
>>288374890
More like one of the only rational personalities taking a side at all
>>
>>288356673
I will never, ever accept cloud computing bullshit.
>>
File: playstation_3_bill_of_materials.jpg (127 KB, 496x500) Image search: [Google]
playstation_3_bill_of_materials.jpg
127 KB, 496x500
>>288374937
Launch PS3
>>
File: 2009-12-11_PS3.jpg (57 KB, 416x275) Image search: [Google]
2009-12-11_PS3.jpg
57 KB, 416x275
>>288375137
First revised PS3
>>
>>288374890
Views have not changed much, but his tone has. I find his views so-so, but he is certainly less obnoxious now.
>>
File: 141525.jpg (41 KB, 444x329) Image search: [Google]
141525.jpg
41 KB, 444x329
>>288375245
PS4 and Xbone at launch

For the PS4 to already be profitable for Sony on a per unit basis is pretty remarkable. The first redesign of the PS4 will be far more profitable, and use considerably less power. 8GB GDDR5 chips are in production, so a revised PS4 would only need half as many.
>>
>>288375137
>ps2 chip
>more expensive than the cell

I call bullshit on that
>>
>>288375486
You can "call bullshit" on anything you want. It doesn't change facts.
Nvidia controls their licensing fees, what some 12 year old dipshit thinks doesn't matter.
>>
>>288356917
>pc and microsoft are not the same people
console is only about making money. why you think they no advertise pc gaming faggot
>>
Since today's consoles already are heavily outdated, when can we expect PS5 and a new xbox? PS4 and xbone have so bad performance I don't see them lasting a few years.
>>
>>288376321
2018-2019 would be my guess
>>
>>288376321
AMD themselves stated that they expected the consoles to last for 5 years before being replaced.
>>
>>288365768
Why the fuck would anyone want system and gpu ram shared
>>
>>288365768
>8gb ddr5
gddr5
>>
>>288356673
that's so impractical its absurd
>>
File: AMD-HSA-hUMA_Page_13.jpg (125 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
AMD-HSA-hUMA_Page_13.jpg
125 KB, 1200x675
>>288378372
Lrn2 computers
>>
>>288376321
At the rate the PS4 is selling? Anything earlier than 2018 is wishful thinking. Sony can't afford the R&D and has no reason to seeing the PS4 is flying off the shelves.

That is, of course, assuming there ever is a new gen of consoles. The market is changing way too much that this may be the last "video game console" generation in the traditional sense.
>>
>>288356996

But games aren't even in 1080p now. Final fantasy 15 on the xbone is 1408x792.

What the fuck kind of resolution is that?
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.