[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Every time there's a TF2 related thread there's at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
File: tf2.jpg (10 KB, 296x170) Image search: [Google]
tf2.jpg
10 KB, 296x170
Every time there's a TF2 related thread there's at least 1 reply saying "tf2 is dead", but I've been wondering, when exactly did this game die?
When they introduced hats?
The mann co store?
F2P?
When they just stopped giving a shit?
>>
tf2 is dead
>>
It's been 8 years, OP. You have to let it go.
>>
When it died
>>
>>285671743
when valve focused its attentions to kids for $$$
>>
>>285671856
I'm not denying it's dead, the only mode i play nowdays is MVM, but at what point did it die though?
>>
It officially died for me during the Meet The Pyro update, because despite being the last major character-themed update we got a set of reskins. The one weapon we did get is by far the worst Pyro secondary, nevermind the fact that Pyro doesn't need more flare guns when the standard is amazing.
>>
Well things were going south as early as the Scout update but the Mann Co. store and trading is probably what harmed the game the most. The influx of players when it went F2P was merely the molesting of a corpse.

Realistically pubs would be mostly dead or filled with bots just like TFC if they didn't do continuous updates.
>>
File: 1403267015671.jpg (39 KB, 240x331) Image search: [Google]
1403267015671.jpg
39 KB, 240x331
>>285672168
>using anything but the Detonator
>>
I realized it was dead when it became F2P. But that wasn't the reason.
>>
>play occasionally
>have a blast, evenly skilled in every class
>make friends in MvM using the only item I ever paid to unlock, the rock paper scissors taunt
>enjoy dosidoing in between waves while waiting on some random to pick his upgrades
>people tell me the game is dead and that taunts killed it
Remove stick from anus.
>>
When they hired a team of monkeys to design weapons mechanics.

So basically when they released the very first non-stock weapon.
>>
For my money:
>beginning of the end: War! update
>end of days: promotional pre-order cosmetics
>final nail in the coffin: Mann-Conomy update
>back from the dead: Mann vs. Machine
>back in the grave: Two Cities
>beating a dead horse: Love And War
>>
>>285673286

Yeah, War! was the peak, I second that.
>>
I think it was the Smissmas update of 2011. A nice set of new weapons with some cosmetics. After that, updates weren't as good. I stopped playing around late 2012. MvM was still okay but the purpose of it seemed to get new cosmetics. I still kept up with the blog though hoping that they would make something substantial.

End 2014 was when I realized it died. Love and War was just a movie. The weapons were okay and had some fun with the base jumper but that's it. Halloween was absolutely nothing. End of the Line could've had a cool new mode but it was scrapped. And fucking ducks. Smissmas that year was nothing.

I was a F2P baby so whatever. Ain't that much of a loss since I didn't actually pay for anything.
>>
Whenever convenient for new fags to look like old fags
For the record, I've been playing since beta.
It's much better now.
And generally the kind of people who cry tf2 should be more like launch tf2 started playing in like 2011 and have a romanticized idea of what the game was like back then.
>>
>>285673286
>>285673478
I'm gonna go with Engineer update to be honest.
>>
I'm gonna say sometime after all 9 class updates were complete and they were trying to figure out what to do next and started adding more and more retarded unlocks and stopped trying to balance shit.

Hey wait when did the TF2 Beta die off?
>>
>tfw liked MVM
>tfw boot camp is either underpopulated or filled with total retards
I just can't bovered m8
>>
>>285673935
A few weeks before meet the medic.
>>
File: 1402941991262.png (962 KB, 1333x768) Image search: [Google]
1402941991262.png
962 KB, 1333x768
>>285671743
Its not dead

But it isn't getting as many updates as it was before, because well the game is fucking massive, especially considering it is built upon a base for a game made in 2007.

But less updates=less hype

Some people can't be bothered to play a game unless it has hype, I don't get it myself. I think the game has a metric fuckton of content right now, not that more wouldn't be appreciated.

The comp community is also finally starting to open its eye a little and see than tf2 as it is, is just not a good "competitive" game. Tf2 shines when you get to see the same scenario play out a million different ways, the comp tf2 scene wants to play the same matches over and over again.

What comp tf2 ought to do on a tangent, is to make a promod or something so they can be satisfied with what the "balance" should be.

But I think expecting any "pro gamer" to accomplish other than getting together to smack there dicks together, well, now that is a pipe dream.
>>
>>285674081
Mann up isn't any better in the retard department. They just leave after failing once or twice.
>>
>>285674271
>Do Mann Up
>Use any item that isn't a meta item
>Votekicked within seconds
>>
File: 5456546.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
5456546.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>keys are now 16.33 refined
>>
>>285673642
I played since it first came out, I have no idea how you can think it is better now. Any semblance of balance has been thrown out the window. Each match is guaranteed to be obnoxiously annoying thanks to all the trash can weapons.
>>
File: 1165458484.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1165458484.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
>>285673642
yeah we got more content now and stuff also the game went free
but have you seen what we lost in the process?

people these days rarely understand how to play their class remotely well
its all HURR DURR run into the enemy headfirst and people are in general more crap
from what i can see the skill levels in the game are dropping as more time pass
>>
>>285674495
Because what the fuck are you gonna do with a refined metal? Shits WORTHLESS!

Valve needs to do something to add real value to the refined but they wont.
>>
File: 1392171379438.jpg (42 KB, 517x381) Image search: [Google]
1392171379438.jpg
42 KB, 517x381
>>285674495
Russians can't flood the market with keys off stolen credit cards anymore.

The market was a sham to begin with.
>>
File: demoknight.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
demoknight.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>>285674382
>not playing MVM with steam friends
That gets stale eventually though and even before that you have to find friends who are willing to play the same missions with you at the same time as you

the best matchmaking game i ever played was when i managed to convince everyone to go smg sniper on the last round. It took us 5 retries
>>
>>285674645
spreadsheetfag pls go
I still don't understand how time depreciates compared to the US Dollar.
They'd have to make crafting for hats easier, but that would take away from hat purchases.
>>
>>285674596
Well, yeah, new players are generally not going to know what's up.
That's why hats and coaching exists
Hats let you get a general idea of how long a person has played, and how well they will play, and coaching lets you get the newbies catch up.

Frankly I love coaching new players into the new generation of good players.>>285674596
>>
>>285671743
but its not dead, TF2 servers are lively & im not just talking about trade/achievement idle, theres lots of people actively playing this game.
You guys have grown bitter and left while a new generation of kids/mexicans have taken your place.
>>
>>285674764
>That one Rottanburg map where the final round is an assload of tanks
>Everyone goes phlog pyros
Rape ensued.
>>
OP, there is literally two people on the TF2 team right now. Two people, and a potted plant.
>>
>>285674645
But if valve made ref actually useful then how would they rake in their shekels for uncrating shitty series 91 crates?
>>
>>285674912
>coaching
>working
noooooope

also hats dont indicate shit, if anything it tells they have too much money or incredible poor luck
>>
>>285674912
I see unusuals and Australiums as a sign of
a) A very skilled player
b) a very lucky player
c) a very rich player
These items are rare as fuck so you're going to need to do an assload of unboxing/tours to get any of them, so you generally assume the owners have been playing for a long time and are therefore good. That or they're lucky/rich. I saw a cunt with an australium grenade and sticky launcher the other day, dominated him with ease
>>
>>285675038
That slim chance at a hat with a stupid particle effect.
>>
>>285675217

I seriously don't know why it would be an indicative of skill, really. You don't have to beat the shit out of people to get it, you have to buy your way there. It may be an indicative of your trading savviness though.
>>
>>285675905
like i said, automatic assumption that player x with rare item y has invested z ammount of hours in said game to get it, therefore must be good. It's only usually with the higher teir unusuals though.
>>
File: 1385197318804.jpg (34 KB, 721x470) Image search: [Google]
1385197318804.jpg
34 KB, 721x470
>>285671856
>You have to let it go.
I...

http://youtu.be/Ncc8jtfSsTU?t=2m24s
>>
>>285675217
As someone who mains Engineer it is a pain in the ass to get rare equivalents of items/weapons, and some decent items/weapons are not made into any rarer forms.

>Strange Parts will never be usable for the Strange PDA
>The Rarest released Southern Hospitality is Collector's, no sign of Australium or Festive (even though now the Festive economy has been figured out since the first release year)
>The only Australium Engie weapons are a Wrench (which does NOT have the same capability as the original Golden Wrench, making it trash) and the Frontier Justice which while it looks nice there are plenty of better options to use as a primary.
>We will never see an Australium Rescue Ranger or a Pomson 6000
>We will never get an Australium PDA that allows Golden Sentries and buildings to be made

Finally we still have little to nothing in the Secondary department for practical weapons, we still wait while the Demoman gets another 4 new weapons, every goddamn time.
>>
File: Shit.png (1009 KB, 1035x895) Image search: [Google]
Shit.png
1009 KB, 1035x895
>MFW I have Morning Glory Dread Hiding Hood, TF2 Logo Soldier's Stash, Memory Leak Brotherhood of Arms all clean and everyone here hates unusuals.
Back to CSGO I go.
>>
>>285671743

As someone who has played since the beta and played continuously up until its death there are two specific moments of death

First is the mann co. store which is pretty obvious

However I would say that the classless update changed everything.

Classless update only brought out new hats and maps which are generally agreed upon to be the shittiest TF 2 maps at the time of release. I used to admin a server and thats when people began to really begin to idle (so bad it prompted the whole halo fiasco).

Around this time if you had one of those rare hats you would be bombarded with offers, the old hats just didnt really change the character much but these new hats completly changed the main look to some of these characters and for those who had been playing the game awhile a hat for your favourite class was like a second christmas. It was a fucking nightmare having to deal with trade requests and banning idlers and the community went to shit pretty fast after that though i was still around until late 2010

So people idled, valve punished and TF 2 began to die
>>
File: Mask_Salesman_rage.gif (221 KB, 254x135) Image search: [Google]
Mask_Salesman_rage.gif
221 KB, 254x135
>>285676939
>tfw gold wrench
>tfw can't play as engineer without people begging for me to hit them and turn them into statues
>>
>>285671743

classless update was when the cancer took hold, things started to look better but then mann co came around, at the end things started to look a little better but then f2p was announced.

Literally lost 40 regulars to my server, people who had been playing for years, over the course of 2 months.
>>
>>285677851
The original Golden Wrench is only able to turn people gold.

The Australium Gold Wrench obtainable from MvM events however is just a Golden re-skin of the regular wrench. No added capabilities. Its not even completely Gold either unlike the original Golden Wrench.

I would give my left testicle to own an original Golden Wrench.
>>
>>285678394
Trust me, you DON'T.
>>
>>285678554
As someone who Mains Engineer, its the ultimate item you can obtain for that class.

>More Ultimate than the Strange PDA
>More Ultimate than the Strange Collector's Pomson 6000 with Professional Killstreaks

Hell, I am a Southern Hospitality fan as well, went out of my way to get the best rare available (Collector's Professional Killstreak) but if there was anything that would pull me away from using my favorite wrench, it would be a genuine Golden Wrench.

If its considered a curse to some, I will gladly take on said curse.
>>
>>285678987
>Maining a class
Get a load of this fag.

I played a lot of engineer in my day and my problem is Sentries are too fucking easy to kill. I mean the fucking thing can't move so it should be able to tank more then 2 rockets while you turn around to check for spies.
>>
>>285679135
Rescue Ranger + Dispenser really makes a difference.

>Keep healing your sentries at a distance without getting shot
>Instant retrieval of said building at a distance in case of damage/fast placement

It really is a broken weapon if used properly enough.

Also I used to main Soldier a great deal before but lost interest mainly due to how slow he moves and maxing out the Strange RC. I also will occasionally use Spy or Scout depending on the defenses of the other team as well, but I just love playing Engineer.
>>
>>285677675
but i love unusuals! I have a whole 0!
>>
>>285678394
>not wanting the australium pan
>>
>>285678987
>I will gladly take on said curse
I've literally had people come up to me at work demanding that I give them my account.
You DON'T want this.
>>
>>285680197
Delete it! Tell me what time your gonna do it so I can see the message saying so!
>>
>>285679952
Golden Pan is a great All-Class wep that has the same effect as the Golden Wrench and in fact can be used as a wrench if equipped as Engie.

That said, because its an All-Class wep, I personally see it as something far more unlikely to obtain since it requires either great luck or a great deal of throwaway money.

>>285680197
As much as I would like to personally believe you have said item, I would like to see your inventory as certain proof of the case.
>>
>>285680197
The only 2 items i ever want are a golden frying pan and an unusual prince tavish's crown
I've only just started trading, got a total of 11 ref B )
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.