[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Careers General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Game job.png (401 KB, 720x637) Image search: [Google]
Game job.png
401 KB, 720x637
>16 year old high school student gets vidya internship
>eventually comes up with good ideas and makes good contributions
>get full time job with no official college education

What's the best way into the industry? I'm 18 and graduate high school in a few months. I got accepted into college, but is spending 4 years getting a degree really necessary? But I think it'll be hard to get an internship or job at a dev with literally no experience.

Any tips?

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/17/how-this-teen-turned-her-high-school-internship-into-a-game-design-career/
>>
>>285115989
Are you willing to put in the work behind actually understanding the tech behind vidya or are you gonna be an "ideas guy"?
>>
Why do you want to work in the game industry?
Anyway go with compsci
>>
making video games is literally something anyone can do
>>
>>285115989
Faggot.
She only got that job because she is a gamer gurl.
Are you a girl? If not, then get a real job.
>>
grow boobs, get angry that game designers don't appreciate your boobs, write blog posts about boob prejudice, then sleep with devs and land a cushy customer support position at that studio and move up from there
>>
>MFW i got an IT job at a large company with no degree

It's doable
>>
>>285116232
Mad cause bad
>>
>>285115989
Have a vagina and a tumblr account
>>
File: 1421887093016.jpg (28 KB, 550x269) Image search: [Google]
1421887093016.jpg
28 KB, 550x269
>>285115989

College is a fucking scam, anon. Don't waste your time.

I graduated with a Bachelor's and Master's degree in History. Before you people start shitposting, I checked before declaring and unemployment for history majors is 5% and the median salary is $85,000.

I graduated 3 fucking years ago and still haven't gotten a job. Every place I applied too wanted people to have at least 5 years experience even for entry level positions.

HOW DO YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE HIRES ENTRY LEVEL PEOPLE?

Fucking bullshit. I'm $50,000 in debt paying interest-only forever. I live with my fucking parents and drive a 1986 Volvo 740 and work at the local train museum's gift shop. I fucking hate trains.
>>
Go to school to learn something like programming, not how to make video games.
>>
Go to Amateur Game Dev threads on /vg/ and offer to help out on projects. Gotta work your way up from the bottom
>>
>>285116420
>you again
It's funny every time.
>>
File: 1484728573.png (262 KB, 522x252) Image search: [Google]
1484728573.png
262 KB, 522x252
>>285116287
You forgot the most important part
>dye your hair a bright, unnatural color
>>
>>285116393
>>285116232

>these butthurt neckbeards

king kong kek. read the fucking article, she put in a lot of work and was awarded for it. not every one who's successful gets things handed to them on a silver plate.
>>
>>285116420
kek
>>
You don't want a job in the game industry. Or at least, not one with a company of suits.

Pursue anything else, and have a side hobby of game creation. Take some courses on graphic design, programming (C++ generally) and make friends with similar interests. Eventually you can make a neat little side project of what you WANT to do, as opposed to what makes money.

As partial validation of the above, just look at how many people involved with development leave companies and create their own start up. They're not doing that for fun, they're doing it to regain sanity.
>>
>>285116420
How can you hate trains?
Were you raped by a train conductor as a child?
>>
File: 1403555296039 (Mobile).jpg (16 KB, 432x320) Image search: [Google]
1403555296039 (Mobile).jpg
16 KB, 432x320
>>285116420
>HOW DO YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE HIRES ENTRY LEVEL PEOPLE?
I'm still trying to figure this one out. I've been rejected by a fast food restaurant because of this
>>
>>285116420

>Masters in History
>Not 'Herstory'

sexist fuck, go back to the 19th century
>>
>>285116603

Why do I hate trains? Well because they're on rails
>>
http://youtu.be/lGar7KC6Wiw
>>
>>285115989
>wanting a videogame career
Enjoy your low wages
>>
>>285115989
99% of /v/ will never become game developers because they're lazy fucks who hates every game.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.